TRIAL - Ross Harris #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading about this and watching the trial off and on and the things that make ME think he probably did it on purpose...
1) seeing how close the carseat was to the drivers seat..
2) Him saying he didnt want to go to lunch bc he needed to catch up on work when he normally never worked through lunch in addition to him saying he would go only if the co workers drove!
3) LEAVING his baby on the road while he is screaming. If my child was hurt or possibly dead, I would never leave them laying on the ground like that. I would be trying to get him to breathe, come back to me...

His crying and "sad face" looks pretend to me.

just my 2 cents...leaving that baby on the ground really hurts my heart.

Cooper, "rump to crown"-- 14"

Cooper, "rump to heel" -- 17.5"

LE measurement of carseat (per testimony),
rump to (inside) top of the carseat -- 19"

Translated, Cooper exceeded the manufacturer's heigth limit by 3", but his heigth was largely in his legs, and his torso and head actually would have been below that one inch below top of seat specification, and most importantly, his head would NOT have "necessarily" been visible from the front seat.

Not unimportant-- toting a child around in a car seat where his head is 3" over the top of the seat would be egregiously negligent.

Toting a child around in one car with a completely appropriate seat and in a second car with a seat that a child is on paper too large for, but in reality still "fits," not anywhere near so clear cut . The weight limit is black and white, a pound on one child is the same pound on another- the height limit less so, given differing torso measurements. In any case, Cooper had just finished or was still in a major growth spurt, so perhaps even that 3" too tall was a fairly recent thing.

Either way, it's a bad decision that puts child at risk. How bad it is compared to other levels of bad,really only matters the the child is hurt or killed. Cooper died and he was in a seat that was not safe. It's an incredibly important point and how much it matters to the jury, really depends on how much the defense can minimize it.

Did Ross claim to be diligent about car seat safety? I can't remember and gave poor connection for searching right now!

My daughter is the age Cooper was when this took place...I have not had her in a carseat like that since she was about 6 months old at the max...

I'm just watching the video the crime scene tech took of the car. Is it just me or does RH sit really close to the steering wheel? Not meaning to sound unkind but at the time of this tragedy he wasn't slim and he appears to be quite tall. How on earth is he comfortable driving like this? Of course, the seats may have been moved by the investigators.

6839e5a90bc44a8621757ffe240c171f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible that the gentleman who helped Ross get Cooper out of the car moved it up to give Ross more room in the back seat.

It is possible that the gentleman who helped Ross get Cooper out of the car moved it up to give Ross more room in the back seat.

I'm not sure the car seat would have fit if the seat was further back. JMO

Either way, it's a bad decision that puts child at risk. How bad it is compared to other levels of bad,really only matters the the child is hurt or killed. Cooper died and he was in a seat that was not safe. It's an incredibly important point and how much it matters to the jury, really depends on how much the defense can minimize it.

Did Ross claim to be diligent about car seat safety? I can't remember and gave poor connection for searching right now!

Imo what is important about the car seat in terms of this trial is that Cooper's head in fact was not 3" over the top of the car seat, but actually fully 3.5" BELOW the top of the seat. Even if RH glanced towards the back seat, Cooper's head would not have been visible.

Every witness, including LE, has said they didn't see any evidence of any kind that Cooper was neglected or not properly taken care of. Should Ross AND/OR Leanne , who after all was equally responsible for Cooper, have bought a second larger car seat? Sure. IMO the fact they hadn't yet, given Cooper's torso still fit into the seat with inches to spare, just isn't a huge big deal. They both worked and had a young child. In real life sometimes even very important things don't get taken care of as soon as they should.

Shortly after discovering Cooper's body, Ross apparently made a 6-minute phone call to The Home Depot HQ. The phone records show that Ross's phone call was forwarded to Cooper's room. However, nobody at Little Aprons has claimed that (s)he talked to Ross. There is not a record that any message was left for the daycare, and on top of that, the phone system is not designed to handle a six minute message. On top of that, witnesses on the scene testified that Ross was talking to someone. This is not adding up. Does anyone have any theories on this call?

Have you ever called your child's school and been put on hold , or waited in the office, while the school's secretary tried to reach his/her teacher's classroom?

I've done both, and it can take a LONG LONG time for a teacher to respond, and often enough, the teacher doesn't respond, especially around the noisiest times of day like lunch or dismissal time, and at that age, when teachers are likely also greeting parents there for pickup, and kids are excited about seeing their parents and end-of-the day lively.

Spectators who thought he was talking on the phone may well have been mistaken. One testified she (mistakenly) thought the screaming he was doing was directed towards someone he was on the phone with, for example.

I can't imagine any reason for a daycare worker to deny having spoken with RH. IMO, none did.

Hi everyone,
FIrst post, but I have been following this as best I can. Something struck me about that 6 minute phone call. And if this has been said before, I apologize as time constraints keep me from reading every post like I want to. Could he have just been pretending to speak with someone on the phone for the sake of witnesses, and not really have connected with anyone? I am not sure if there was a recording that gave options to push a particular button in order to connect to a live person or if a person answers the phone directly. If he was pretending, he could have used that as an excuse to not interact with people at the scene so he could gauge everyone's reactions.

:welcome5: monael, interested to read more of your thoughts as trial continues. Don't you dare return to lurkdom now that you've broken the ice ;)

Have you ever called your child's school and been put on hold , or waited in the office, while the school's secretary tried to reach his/her teacher's classroom?

I've done both, and it can take a LONG LONG time for a teacher to respond, and often enough, the teacher doesn't respond, especially around the noisiest times of day like lunch or dismissal time, and at that age, when teachers are likely also greeting parents there for pickup, and kids are excited about seeing their parents and end-of-the day lively.

Spectators who thought he was talking on the phone may well have been mistaken. One testified she (mistakenly) thought the screaming he was doing was directed towards someone he was on the phone with, for example.

I can't imagine any reason for a daycare worker to deny having spoken with RH. IMO, none did.

No, I have never called my child's school or been in the office and waited an excessive amount of time for the office to reach my child's teacher. I am not saying that it cannot happen, but it has not been my personal experience.

Second, when I was employed at THD, the phone only rang a certain number of times before 1) being routed back to the main number or 2) rolling into voicemail. In a professional environment, I have never experienced a phone that was allowed to ring incessantly. At some point, the call terminates on its own, and in my experience, including the time that I was employed by THD, that call would have terminated well before six minutes.

You are correct that the witnesses on the scene may have been mistaken. It still doesn't change that the fact that his phone records indicate a 6-minute call, and the THD internal phone system records the same call.

I don't know why a daycare worker would deny speaking with Ross, and I am not suggesting that one did. This phone call makes zero sense. When something doesn't add up, there is a reason for it. We are missing a piece of information that would allow everything to fall into place. I am just not sure what that is.

On a somewhat related note, I am not yet finished listening to the testimony from this morning. This testimony has hit me really hard, and it's a bit too close to home. :crying: Regardless of fault, there was a child who lost his life way too soon.

Busy day today and this evening. Have some to catch up on. Just a couple things that I noticed today. Stoddard was back in the courtroom today. I THINK that was him with a yellow tie on behind the State. *from Pretrial Motion Hearing Aug 19, 2016 Def requested he not be in the courtroom during testimony. State argued for him to be able to stay since he is "lead Detective in case". He more or less called Mr. Dusting testimony a lie.

Also I made note that Teacher Patrick when asked on direct by State if she sometimes went to CF she replied yes. When asked how long it took her to get from there to work she testified 2-3 minutes. I was thinking it was closer to LAA to CF than CF to RH work. :thinking:

Hi everyone,
FIrst post, but I have been following this as best I can. Something struck me about that 6 minute phone call. And if this has been said before, I apologize as time constraints keep me from reading every post like I want to. Could he have just been pretending to speak with someone on the phone for the sake of witnesses, and not really have connected with anyone? I am not sure if there was a recording that gave options to push a particular button in order to connect to a live person or if a person answers the phone directly. If he was pretending, he could have used that as an excuse to not interact with people at the scene so he could gauge everyone's reactions.

IIRC there not suppose to be a recording system that has a 6 min recording ability. On the talking or thinking he was talking to someone on the phone, he made 3 different calls. 1) wife, missed call. 2) Home Depot main bld and 3) Little Apron Academy 6 min. I do not know if that is the correct sequence. JMHO it possible he was talking into phone (like pick up blah blah blah) I know I am guilty of more less talking to my self sometimes as a phone is ringing or put on hold lol.

JMHO from testimony so far, TJ helped him get Cooper out and on ground and Hawkins took over CPR (it was stated by all that this happened fast/lots going on in matter of literally minutes) He gets up goes to end of his car on phone. Folgia and Gallimore arrive, start doing CPR, RH comes back over per Folgia, Gallimore tells everyone get back, Piper shows up. Piper asks for RH ID, he on phone, Folgia tells him need to get off phone, curses, Gallimore gets up per his testimony curses RH put in handcuffs and put in Piper patrol car. Everyone have mostly stated this. The fact that it showed a 6 minute call to me, depending on which call it was in line of the 3 is curious to me. And the actual time of those 3 calls.

6 minutes is a long time jmho relative to the time this was all going on. Haven't understood that timeline yet, honestly.

WELCOME, WS is a very nice community!

Busy day today and this evening. Have some to catch up on. Just a couple things that I noticed today. Stoddard was back in the courtroom today. I THINK that was him with a yellow tie on behind the State. *from Pretrial Motion Hearing Aug 19, 2016 Def requested he not be in the courtroom during testimony. State argued for him to be able to stay since he is "lead Detective in case". He more or less called Mr. Dusting testimony a lie.

Also I made note that Teacher Patrick when asked on direct by State if she sometimes went to CF she replied yes. When asked how long it took her to get from there to work she testified 2-3 minutes. I was thinking it was closer to LAA to CF than CF to RH work. :thinking:

BBM

In reality, CFA is about equidistant to LAA and the Tree House. LAA is probably slightly closer to CFA, but there is an extra traffic light, which would likely render it a longer drive. If one does not catch any lights, it is possible to get to both LAA and the Tree House in 2-3 minutes. If it took Ross 6 minutes to get to work on June 18, I feel confident that he caught the light at Paces Ferry, the intersection where we would have had to turn to take Cooper to LAA.

No, I have never called my child's school or been in the office and waited an excessive amount of time for the office to reach my child's teacher. I am not saying that it cannot happen, but it has not been my personal experience.

Second, when I was employed at THD, the phone only rang a certain number of times before 1) being routed back to the main number or 2) being rolled into voicemail. In a professional environment, I have never experienced a phone that was allowed to ring incessantly. At some point, the call terminates on its own, and in my experience, including the time that I was employed by THD, that call would have terminated well before six minutes.

You are correct that the witnesses on the scene may have been mistaken. It still doesn't change that the fact that his phone records indicate a 6-minute call, and the THD internal phone system records the same call.

I don't know why a daycare worker would deny speaking with Ross, and I am not suggesting that one did. This phone call makes zero sense. When something doesn't add up, there is a reason for it. We are missing a piece of information that would allow everything to fall into place. I am just not sure what that is.

On a somewhat related note, I am not yet finished listening to the testimony from this morning. This testimony has hit me really hard, and it's a bit too close to home. :crying: Regardless of fault, there was a child who lost his life way too soon.

Just responding to your request for thoughts about the 6 minute call. ;).

All that seems to be KNOWN about the call is :

* that it lasted 6 minutes (presumably including the time it took for an administrator to answer the call, speak to RH, and then to have transfered it to classroom #5, which for all we know wasn't done immediately, especially if the administrator was handling multiple calls at the same time from other parents calling about changes in pick up time, etc).

* that the call was definitely made, not feigned, call records indicate an open call of that duration.

* that the call did not go into a voice mail system.

* that the call did go to class room #5.

* that as far as we do know, no classroom teacher or staff acknowledges having received the call.

Yep, we're missing info, but imo that info is most likely innocuous. Those 6 minutes may have been taken up here and there, and not in any manner that can be documented or brought in at trial.

Thank you, tlcya :) Long time trial watcher, this one had me from the get go.
:welcome5: monael, interested to read more of your thoughts as trial continues. Don't you dare return to lurkdom now that you've broken the ice ;)

My hinky meter is bonging out on some of this after seeing that someone changed the car seat setting prior to Grimstead putting back in car on 7/2. He testified that it would be on the sign out sheet for the evidence room. Some reason I have a bad feeling Stoddard is in the works here again. The Defense so far appears to be very sharp on many details.

Also I still curious on those bags in rear hatch that much adoo was made yesterday about who took photos. Again Stoddard name was on that disc. What was that equipment in that bag?

**One more observation, if you go back and watch that video ^^ there is a point the Def has stops the video. Grimstead is in the front seat. Stops it at looking out the front windshield. You see the rearview mirror. Grimstead testified he is 6 ft iirc. Ross is 6'2. In that segment of the video, with the rearview mirror, you can see the view what he would be able to see... The interior light! that is how the mirror is set. So it was not set where could see lower in the back of car. JMHO was interesting and potentially what the Def was making a point of. :thinking:

CLICK HERE LISTEN TO THE LATEST TRUE CRIME RADIO PROGRAM AFTER 10:30 PM EASTERN EVERY THURSDAY NIGHT!

The trial continues for Ross Harris accused of purposely leaving his toddler son Cooper in a hot car to die a horrible death.

The prosecution is scoring big points as it lays out its case against Harris but what does the defense table have up its sleeve?

Joining us tonight, (Thursday October 13th) on True Crime Radio is Cathy from Courtchatter.com

Cathy knows this case inside and out. At the very least you will find her observations to be extremely interesting.

Later in the show, we welcome Dawn Drexel, Brittanee Drexel mother. She will tell us about her struggles to find her daughter. Has her daughter's killer been caught? We'll see.

You will be able to hear this edition of True Crime Radio by clicking on my SPREAKER ACCOUNT after 10:30 PM Eastern.

Cathy from Courtchatter.com and more on True Crime Radio TONIGHT!

Just responding to your request for thoughts about the 6 minute call. ;).

All that seems to be KNOWN about the call is :

* that it lasted 6 minutes (presumably including the time it took for an administrator to answer the call, speak to RH, and then to have transfered it to classroom #5, which for all we know wasn't done immediately, especially if the administrator was handling multiple calls at the same time from other parents calling about changes in pick up time, etc).

* that the call was definitely made, not feigned, call records indicate an open call of that duration.

* that the call did not go into a voice mail system.

* that the call did go to class room #5.

* that as far as we do know, no classroom teacher or staff acknowledges having received the call.

Yep, we're missing info, but imo that info is most likely innocuous, those 6 minutes may have been taken up here and there, and not in any manner that can be documented or brought in at trial.

BBM

Just for clarification, the call was routed to the main THD HQ number. It was not a phone number dedicated to LAA. I am not sure if it even matters, but I wanted to clarify. When the phone number was read during one of the pretrial hearings, I immediately recognized it as the main THD HQ phone number.

I agree that it is all that is known. It's just bizarre, and I hope that we receive additional testimony on this matter.

I am usually very defensive when it comes to members of LE. Something about Stoddard does not sit well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuardianAngelTaskForce