Trial - Ross Harris #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More information will be coming out about RH's financial problems. Paying for his "extracurricular" activities was not inexpensive. Remember the prosecution is building the case brick by brick, to use an anology. There is much more info to come that goes to motive in this case. What is the opinon of others as whether or not RH will testify?

The finances should be interesting - the defense managed to get information about the two life insurance policies excluded but that wouldn't include other financial information. Personally I don't think the policies or even other financial troubles are directly related to Ross' actions but who knows. Apparently he had taken over the family finances just weeks before Cooper's death. I haven't seen anything about why he did though - it does sound like he and Leanna were bickering over money.

OTOH, msm reported that he was asking relatives to look into the payouts just days after Cooper died so maybe the money (27k) was important to him. It doesn't seem like it would go very far in Atlanta but it would be a nice chunk of seed money for his new business. Still, I don't see him killing Cooper for 27k.

In any case I doubt Ross will testify on his behalf. I'd really like to see him on the stand but Kilgore probably knows better than to let him speak...

Overall. But the breakdown of those 33 seconds matters. 17 seconds after parking, RH opens his front door wide enough to be seen across the parking lot AND KEEPS THE DOOR OPEN for the next 15-16 seconds before he closes the door and walks away.

Meaning, anyone remotely nearby could hear Cooper if he was awake and talking. And, if Cooper was so obviously visible in his car

BBM: I'm going to disagree with you because most people are not going to pay attention to a child talking that is in a rear facing car seat, especially if daddy is right there. I also don't think anyone is going to hear Cooper from a distant. I didn't see anyone close enough to Ross' car when he opened the door. Correct me if I'm wrong, I actually had to get out my magnifying glass to see..

For example, in Georgia if you are just the getaway driver in a bank robbery and your partner shoots and kills a bank guard you can be charged with felony murder. If you do an armed robbery on someone and they die of a heart attack during your assault you can be charged with felony murder. If you are opposed to this, please explain why, thanks.

If a couple of people do a B&E and the homeowner shoots and kills one of them, the others are charged for that murder.

IMO I think he parked where he did so that maybe baby Cooper would be found after lunch by someone passing by. It would be easier for someone to call 911, have the police come into HD and to act distressed but it didn't happen that way. I believe he planned it as murder to look like an accident. I have 3 sons, ages 32, 29 and 14. I worked full time and used a drop off sitter or daycare and was always in a rush. Routine and never never forgot about my sons.

That's a thought, no argument here. However, the law on felony murder is still clear: even in the case of "oops! I totally didn't mean for someone to die!" If someone dies during your commission of a felony it's still felony murder. This, not a case of DA out to convict people randomly, it's a case of don't commit felonies during which people could possibly die.

In most states, thankfully, murder still requires intent.

Criminal negligence leading to the death of a child under 18 is pretty universally considered a 1st degree felony kind of offense, punishable in some states by up to 30 years in prison. In fact, that was true in GA as well, right up to before RH was indicted, iirc.

30 years in prison is harsh enough for criminal negligence. For a crime without intent, a murder charge with a penalty of up to life is unconscionable. Imo.

The finances should be interesting - the defense managed to get information about the two life insurance policies excluded but that wouldn't include other financial information. Personally I don't think the policies or even other financial troubles are directly related to Ross' actions but who knows. Apparently he had taken over the family finances just weeks before Cooper's death. I haven't seen anything about why he did though - it does sound like he and Leanna were bickering over money.

OTOH, msm reported that he was asking relatives to look into the payouts just days after Cooper died so maybe the money (27k) was important to him. It doesn't seem like it would go very far in Atlanta but it would be a nice chunk of seed money for his new business. Still, I don't see him killing Cooper for 27k.

In any case I doubt Ross will testify on his behalf. I'd really like to see him on the stand but Kilgore probably knows better than to let him speak...

IIRC , (some or all) of the money from insurance was used to pay for Cooper's funeral.

Ross and Leanna did not pay for coopers funeral- it was paid for by Home Depot.

https://www.google.com/amp/wtvr.com/2014/06/28/georgia-toddler-hot-cat-death/amp/?client=safari

From the article:

A charity fund at Harris’ employer, The Home Depot, will pay for the funeral, company spokeswoman Catherine Woodling told CNN. Harris, who worked as a web designer, has been placed on unpaid administrative leave, she said.

The funding of the funeral from the Home Depot charity, the Homer Fund, is a “standard approach,” she said.

In an obituary for Cooper appearing in the Tuscaloosa News, the family asks that in lieu of flowers donations should be made to the Homer Fund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a couple of people do a B&E and the homeowner shoots and kills one of them, the others are charged for that murder.

Yes. And less palatably but more relevant: if you sexually assault a child and the child dies as a result, or if you abuse a child and the child died as a result, or if you were responsible for a child but you ****ed off and let it starve (burn?) to death you are guilty of felony murder. This is the law only in some states, but it IS the law in Georgia, so don't break it.

BBM: I'm going to disagree with you because most people are not going to pay attention to a child talking that is in a rear facing car seat, especially if daddy is right there. I also don't think anyone is going to hear Cooper from a distant. I didn't see anyone close enough to Ross' car when he opened the door. Correct me if I'm wrong, I actually had to get out my magnifying glass to see..

The unlikely choices add up. He could have chosen to park in a more secluded spot, but didn't. He could have exited the car quickly, rather than take the chance of leaving his door wide open for a full 15-16 seconds, but didn't.

If he meant to kill Cooper, and claim he forgot him, he could have not gone out to lunch and waited to "find" him at 4, but didn't, instead making himself look suspicious by returning to the scene of the crime , on surveillance tape, without "discovering" Cooper.

Cooper was likely either already dead or unconscious. No way for RH to know the difference at a glance. If he had wanted to stage the scene to have witnesses at lunchtime he could have. But didn't.

I don't agree with you. If you commit a felony, e.g. assault, rape, cruelty to children, home invasion, etc.and someone died due to your acts/non-acts then you are responsible. Explain how you aren't, please. Setting aside the 'eggshell' theory of torts which in any case argues to my side.

HD video

9:25:17. RH's car is visible, he's on the lot, heading near where he will park (so, well into the parking lot relative to entering the lot).

9:25:39. RH has pulled into his space, the car has just come to a stop.

9:25:56. RH opens the car door, wide enough to be visibly doing so some hundreds of feet away. (17 seconds, not 33, after coming to a stop).

9:26:12. RH actually steps out of the car.

(As an aside, the ACJ likely counted from his door opening, not his stepping out).

I'm still trying to put these together with your 9:24 a.m. Texts in previous posts... and wondering if one minute off puts this all together but he actuallly texted when he arrived to the parking lot as otherwise he was texting when driving for those three texts?

I don't agree with you. If you commit a felony, e.g. assault, rape, cruelty to children, home invasion, etc.and someone died due to your acts/non-acts then you are responsible. Explain how you aren't, please. Setting aside the 'eggshell' theory of torts which in any case argues to my side.

I already have. I do not believe sending someone to prison for 30 years for an unintentional act indicates a failure to hold that person responsible.

I think Ross knew Cooper was in the car when he went into the office, but here is a possibility for reasonable doubt.

He claims he thought he dropped off Cooper at daycare. Well, on that morning, he took Cooper into Chick-fil-A rather than go through the drive-through. Perhaps that whole thing of taking the child out of the car seat and then putting him back into the car seat registered in his brain (which was busy with his texting) as bringing Cooper to daycare.

Again, I'm not really buying that....but it does make me wonder if maybe he DID think he dropped Cooper off.

(Well, I would more willing to think that if Cooper wasn't RIGHT THERE in the car.)

Another thought to share as I catch up. Cooper might have been alive at lunch?! That hurts to know.

jmo

:tyou: for today's updates. I watched some gruesome testimony today but took time away from computer to watch two Bette Davis movies on TCM :) I commented earlier about Ross having difficulty listening to testimony. Doesn't make me sympathetic toward him; not in the least. JRH and his ex-wife are just not likeable people. I don't know if one or both of them deliberately contemplated this cruel, unusual, torturous death for their young son. That said, their demeanor in the early hours/days after Cooper's passing left me wondering... :moo:

I think Ross knew Cooper was in the car when he went into the office, but here is a possibility for reasonable doubt.

He claims he thought he dropped off Cooper at daycare. Well, on that morning, he took Cooper into Chick-fil-A rather than go through the drive-through. Perhaps that whole thing of taking the child out of the car seat and then putting him back into the car seat registered in his brain (which was busy with his texting) as bringing Cooper to daycare.

Again, I'm not really buying that....but it does make me wonder if maybe he DID think he dropped Cooper off.

(Well, I would more willing to think that if Cooper wasn't RIGHT THERE in the car.)

Another thought to share as I catch up. Cooper might have been alive at lunch?! That hurts to know.

jmo

I was somewhat willing to think perhaps that fact that he went into CFA registered with him that he had already dropped off Cooper.... then his friend said you need to make the decision to turn at the traffic light before you even leave the parking lot. So no bueno for me.

Also, I do not believe Cooper was alive at lunch time but even if by chance he was, no way he would have survived. jmo But I think the possibility that he was alive hurts JRH.

I'm quite sure Dr. D. will answer all the questions you are curious about when he testifies. :)

I don't believe he will be able to answer my main question-----how could he forget in the span of seconds, when he arrived at the exit to the main street?

It is going to be really hard for him to convince me that he could innocently forget his child in a manner of seconds. If he was actively texting at the time, and looking at Whisper, then I will never accept that it was an innocent mistake.

jmo

That explanation about taking Cooper in and out of his carseat being mistranslated by RH makes a great deal of sense, especially given the timeline.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with the fact that RH was enormously preoccupied by his texting with Mrs. X that AM- he was texting with her before, during, and after taking Cooper to CFA, including, it would seem, while in the car on his very short, .6 mile drive to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marisa_breanna97