Trial Thread 4/17/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize it's all speculation. None of us know if this was planned, if there was a rape etc. I am hoping we will find out the truth.

I know it was based on the evidence presented.

Mike Knoll: reporter Hank Daniszewski's morning update:

As the murder trial of Michael Rafferty resumed on Tuesday, the court heard from more of his former friends and girlfriends.

Ann Tweedie was a childhood friend of Rafferty and went to school with him in Grade 6 in Drayton.

Rafferty moved away but he visited once in a while and they stayed in touch online.

In March 2009 he sent Tweedie a message saying he was dating Alexis Lane - a former schoolmate from Drayton and hoped to marry her.

The court also heard from Jennifer Etsell, another former Rafferty girlfriend who connected with him through dating website Plenty of Fish.

Etsell, a 30 year old medical secretary from Hangover, said she and Rafferty dated for about five months beginning April 2006.

She said they always used her car and they frequently drove down Hwy 6 between Hanover and Guelph where Rafferty was living. Tori Stafford's body was found off a rural side road close to Hey 6 north of Guelph.

Rafferty told Etsell he wanted to be a paramedic but was working as a dance instructor and landscaper.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean like a "bathroom accident"

I have thought the same thing.

It certainly wouldn't have taken much to set TLM off. Given what we know about her, just about anything would do it. She was/is completely unstable.

Little by little, her testimony is breaking down under scrutiny.

On the weekend, Snoofer spotted where her journal writings where it possibly revealed she knew VS before the abduction, and we are reminded again today that she told her godmother she would do it again......Do what again? Kidnap and murder someone.....perhaps a little older?

I think TLM gave up enough information to intertwine it with the truth and make her story credible. But she slipped up here and there, and it is starting to show.

She supplied an accurate map of the actual crime scene, but claims foggy memory for some details about her story. LE couldn't find the carwash?

Hogwash........LE gave up looking for it because they knew it wasn't there.

I am wondering what her angle was for the lies and bits of truth?

She got the max sentence.............but look at where she is residing.

I have been wondering why they would put such a violent person as TLM in a setting that was obviously designed for women with lighter sentences and a chance at rehabilitation. Over half of the inmates are serving sentences of less than 40 months. Only 18% of the inmates are lifers.

It sounds more like a retirement village than a prison.

About the Institution

Grand Valley Institution (GVI) is a multi level facility located in Kitchener, Ontario. GVI opened in 1997 and can accommodate up to 129 inmates.

Inmates are housed in buildings (houses) arranged in campus style (clusters), one structured living environment house and one secure unit.

The Institution provides a positive and supportive environment focused mainly on women’s timely and safe reintegration.

Facility Characteristics

Institution for women offenders
Security level: multi-level
Date opened: 1997
Number of inmates: 123
Average length of sentences:
Less than 40 months: 51 per cent of inmates
40 months and over: 31 per cent of inmates
Life sentences: 18 per cent of inmates
Number of employees: 176

JMO

I know it was based on the evidence presented.
We can agree to disagree. We simply have different opinions. JMO the only two people alive that know exactly what happened are TLM and MR.

Why was his license suspended or is that another lie?

That was also testified to by his previous boss at the landscaping company. I guess the jury will not be privy to that information as it does not apply to the time frame around this abduction.

That's the thing about trials. Nothing from the defendent's past can be brought in to "predjudice" the jury against him. But any witness who testifies either for or against him is open game regarding credibility. Which is likely why you won't have the crown asking any of these girls about what MR was like as a boyfriend or sexual partner. They would be devastated in cross.

So the jury never really has a total picture of what the defendent might be like based on past actions or other people's opinions. Unless they directly apply to the charge they are facing now. They only have the evidence and actions around the time frame of the crime to consider.

That's what keeps the emotional element out of it.

MOO

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
Long break at #Rafferty trial. Lawyers are about to discuss matters without jury present. #sl

We can agree to disagree. We simply have different opinions. JMO the only two people alive that know exactly what happened are TLM and MR.

That's fine but don't state that "nobody knows". That is why I replied that I know based on evidence presented.

What was the point of having MR's ex Tweedie to testify? I bet that is why MR was smiling because she had nothing on him. Because to me the only link was MR saw her on POF. JMO

I think the Crown was trying to show that MR was in the area of the crime scene, but Derstine pretty well mitigated that by asking the witness if they ever left Highway 6, and she said "no".

JMO

That was also testified to by his previous boss at the landscaping company. I guess the jury will not be privy to that information as it does not apply to the time frame around this abduction.

That's the thing about trials. Nothing from the defendent's past can be brought in to "predjudice" the jury against him. But any witness who testifies either for or against him is open game regarding credibility. Which is likely why you won't have the crown asking any of these girls about what MR was like as a boyfriend or sexual partner. They would be devasted in cross.

So the jury never really has a total picture of what the defendent might be like based on past actions or other people's opinions. Unless they directly apply to the charge they are facing now. They only have the evidence and actions around the time frame of the crime to consider.

That's what keeps the emotional element out of it.

MOO

Ahhh got it!! Thanks

Mike Knoll: reporter Hank Daniszewski's morning update:

As the murder trial of Michael Rafferty resumed on Tuesday, the court heard from more of his former friends and girlfriends.

Ann Tweedie was a childhood friend of Rafferty and went to school with him in Grade 6 in Drayton.

Rafferty moved away but he visited once in a while and they stayed in touch online.

In March 2009 he sent Tweedie a message saying he was dating Alexis Lane - a former schoolmate from Drayton and hoped to marry her.

The court also heard from Jennifer Etsell, another former Rafferty girlfriend who connected with him through dating website Plenty of Fish.

Etsell, a 30 year old medical secretary from Hangover, said she and Rafferty dated for about five months beginning April 2006.

She said they always used her car and they frequently drove down Hwy 6 between Hanover and Guelph where Rafferty was living. Tori Stafford's body was found off a rural side road close to Hey 6 north of Guelph.

Rafferty told Etsell he wanted to be a paramedic but was working as a dance instructor and landscaper.

Does anyone know how many miles highwat 6 extends and if there are many rural lanes running off of it? I'm getting more and more convinced that MTR would know about that lane on his many travels down that road, i can't accept that it was just a lane chosen at random.

What was the point of having MR's ex Tweedie to testify? I bet that is why MR was smiling because she had nothing on him. Because to me the only link was MR saw her on POF. JMO

so far with this parade of women that the crown is presenting..it reminds me of the TV show "This is your Life"..not sure what the purpose is but I guess they need a filler..one would think that the employer's evidence of the work he was contracted to do in the area would be enough to establish that MR did indeed know the area... JMO

so far with this parade of women that the crown is presenting..it reminds me of the TV show "This is your Life"..not sure what the purpose is but I guess they need a filler..one would think that the employer's evidence of the work the was contracted to do in the area would be enough to establish that MR did indeed know the area... JMO

We will have 11 witnesses (IIRC) testifying that he knew the area where Tori's remains were disposed of. I think that is overwhelming evidence to the fact that he knew where he was going which corroborates TLM's testimony.

IMO

Avery Moore (@AveryFreeFMNews)
4/17/12 9:28 AM
Etsell would take #Rafferty back to Hanover via Highway 6 through Fergus, Arthur and Mount Forest. Right past con. 6 where Tori's body found

Does anyone know how many miles highwat 6 extends and if there are many rural lanes running off of it? I'm getting more and more convinced that MTR would know about that lane on his many travels down that road, i can't accept that it was just a lane chosen at random.

bbm

Yes It crosses a distance of 480 km (300 mi)
There are alot of roads that run off hiway 6

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_6"]Ontario Highway 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I think the Crown was trying to show that MR was in the area of the crime scene, but Derstine pretty well mitigated that by asking the witness if they ever left Highway 6, and she said "no".

JMO

Which is hogwash because he admitted his client helped dispose the body. So we know he was there and now we know he knew where he was going and why.

Which is hogwash because he admitted his client helped dispose the body. So we know he was there and now we know he knew where he was going and why.

my understanding is Dirk "suggested his client helped dispose of the body" not admitted...JMO major difference...IMO

I have thought the same thing.

It certainly wouldn't have taken much to set TLM off. Given what we know about her, just about anything would do it. She was/is completely unstable.

Little by little, her testimony is breaking down under scrutiny.

On the weekend, Snoofer spotted where her journal writings where it possibly revealed she knew VS before the abduction, and we are reminded again today that she told her godmother she would do it again......Do what again? Kidnap and murder someone.....perhaps a little older?

I think TLM gave up enough information to intertwine it with the truth and make her story credible. But she slipped up here and there, and it is starting to show.

She supplied an accurate map of the actual crime scene, but claims foggy memory for some details about her story. LE couldn't find the carwash?

Hogwash........LE gave up looking for it because they knew it wasn't there.

I am wondering what her angle was for the lies and bits of truth?

She got the max sentence.............but look at where she is residing.

I have been wondering why they would put such a violent person as TLM in a setting that was obviously designed for women with lighter sentences and a chance at rehabilitation. Over half of the inmates are serving sentences of less than 40 months. Only 18% of the inmates are lifers.

It sounds more like a retirement village than a prison.

About the Institution

Grand Valley Institution (GVI) is a multi level facility located in Kitchener, Ontario. GVI opened in 1997 and can accommodate up to 129 inmates.

Inmates are housed in buildings (houses) arranged in campus style (clusters), one structured living environment house and one secure unit.

The Institution provides a positive and supportive environment focused mainly on women’s timely and safe reintegration.

Facility Characteristics

Institution for women offenders
Security level: multi-level
Date opened: 1997
Number of inmates: 123
Average length of sentences:
Less than 40 months: 51 per cent of inmates
40 months and over: 31 per cent of inmates
Life sentences: 18 per cent of inmates
Number of employees: 176

JMO

I have had similar thoughts running through my head, and ITA re the carwash, and breaking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member