Trial Thread 4/19/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could MR have gone south from Cambridge from whichever carwash he used and gone to Highway 403 westbound to the 401 and north to Woodstock when he came back with TLM that night? If this is what was testified, please excuse my rambling. JMO

I'm no cellphone techie but the way I understood it, the phone doesn't have to be on to receive data (voice mail, text, ).

So it could very well be that between that time, he was receiving messages but his phone was off.

JMO

Voice mail and text is not data and no the phone doesn't have to be on to receive voice mail, however it has to be on to get it. As for text, text it queued at the transmitting tower, when the phone is off and when you turn it back on you get it all the same time.

Maybe he was screwing with her? Maybe she was high? Maybe she recalled that he did take it out but wasnt totally sure of the time frame so she might have just said around the location?

There are so many different things that could have happened.

The fact that he would have taken out is weird to me. The only time I ever take my battery out is to reboot it, if its frozen or I am having issues. Who would and why would someone take the battery out unless you had something to hide.

I dont think she lied at all. I think she just gave the wrong time and place. JMHO

My LE friend tells me the the reason why the battery would be removed is something called RF (radio frequency) LE uses this to hear conversations that go on around the phone. Alot of criminals pulled out the battery because if the phone could be on or off and they can still use RF but if the phone battery is removed the phone no longer has any power. Unless things have changed and LE is now able to trace phones without the battery in is another story.

Well broad explained it, when the phone is off and the battery is out, nothing can be transmitted. When the phone is on and not being used, it's called idling, so data can still be transmitted. Even tho you are not using the phone when it is in 'idle' mode, your phone still works in the background, updating apps and the operating system. :)

Thank you. It all makes sense now.

Whether she had a license or not doesn't really matter. People drive without them all the time.

But she certainly didn't drive his car to HD. That's been proven.

It certainly has, without a doubt.

Guilty of kidnapping, check.

MOO

I think what they have actually said is that the phone was off until 4:18 and between then and 7:00 it was on but not necessarily in use.MOO

The phone supposedly had no battery according to TLM? At 4:18 it shows the phone as transmitting (remember that transmitting doesn't necessarily mean the phone was in use, it could have been idle.)

Transmitting can also mean that your phone is triangulating your position to a tower.

I think this means that May 17th is when the police contacted him to go over cell phone records for MR.

Yeah, and he wasn't arrested until the 19th, the day of TLM's confession.

So THAT means LE was on him for other reasons, prior to the confession.

JMO

I just went over Day 5 tweets from Lfpress. TLM testified he removed his battery around the Super 8 motel, drove to Guelph, stopped at Tim Hortons, yelled to keep Tori covered and after made a phone call for the drugs.

I think the time frame fits for the phone to be back on at 4:18 with this testimony.

Thanks for looking that up for us.....JMO

Yeah, and he wasn't arrested until the 19th, the day of TLM's confession.

So THAT means LE was on him for other reasons, prior to the confession.

JMO

LE was on to him because of his dismal interview on the 15th.

MOO

ok so what was Derstine trying to dispute in Broad's testimony? Thanks

I think he's trying to show that someone would have to have been using the phone to access the data, but that's not true. He could have left an app on, he had GPS on that, he could have left that on. When you leave an app on, you are transmitting data and the phone is updating that data all the time.

The GPS is an example. And Blackberry Messenger is another. If either of those are left turned on, then it just keeps transmitting all the time, especially GPS.

I think he's trying to show that someone would have to have been using the phone to access the data, but that's not true. He could have left an app on, he had GPS on that, he could have left that on. When you leave an app on, you are transmitting data and the phone is updating that data all the time.

The GPS is an example. And Blackberry Messenger is another. If either of those are left turned on, then it just keeps transmitting all the time, especially GPS.

I know with an IPhone you can set it up to automatically download your email's at certain intervals or only when you manually make it. I wonder if this is the same case as well with BB?

So you think Derstine misunderstood? Or maybe just trying to confuse the jury?

Hello_Kitty, thanks for explaining cell phone technology and operation. I'd be lost without your posts.

Hello_Kitty please go testify..they need you up there LOL

Mike Knoll: Hank Daniszewski's noon update:

A Bell Canada manager pinpointed the location of calls made by Michael Rafferty's cellphone on April 8 2009, using data logged by the network.

David Broad produced a map of an area bounded by Woodstock, Guelph and Mount Forest showing when and where voice and data calls were placed.

The calls started in the Woodstock Drumbo area just after noon. There voice and data calls made around 4 p.m. from the Cambridge and Guelph areas. More calls were made from the Mount Forest/Arthur area just before 6 p.m.

There were more calls from Mount Forest/Arthur around 8 p.m. followed by call from Cambridge closer to 9 p.m.

Finally, there were calls from Drumbo-Woodstock after 11 p.m.

The times and location of the calls were significant since they roughly correspond to earlier testimony from Terri-Lynne McClintic about the abduction and murder of Victoria Stafford on that day.

In his cross-examination defense lawyer Dirk Derstine questioned Broad about two long data calls almost back-to-back between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Derstine also asked if the battery had to be in phone to receive a call and Broad agreed.

In her testimony McClintic said Rafferty removed the batterty from his phone at one point on the trip.

The court also heard from Mustafa Bahktyar, a radio frequency expert from Bell who outlined how cell towers work and how the signals can be blocked and bounced between towers.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/19/19652791.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member