Trial Thread 4/20/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
10:26
Mike Knoll: @deb - it's strange in the sense that it hasn't happened before but I'd assume it's due to factors out of his control as he is in custody.
10:25
Comment From deb
isnt that strange that he has not arrived yet.....he usually is there on time

So everyone is there and ready and they haven't brought MR in? Is that what's going on? Sorry nt already answered this

Is the Jury told why court is late?

RaffertyLFP: Rafferty trial delayed until at least 11:30. [via Twitter]

RaffertyLFP: Rafferty trial delayed until at least 11:30. [via Twitter]

Good grief! What's going on? Traffic in London?

This transportaion delay is strange to me

I find it hard to believe..

AM980.ca Jurors have been told there is a delay in getting the trial started today.

I am sure a 90 minute delay is all done to make sure I get some housework done this morning!

I agree, this doesn't usually happen when they have court schedules, somethings up

I think there is more to this than meets the eye as well. He is being held in London isn't he? I wonder if his lawyer is actually there right now?

I don't think I've ever appreciated the people of this forum more than I do right now. It's great to see so many people advocating for Tori.

I don't get sappy very often, so don't expect it to happen again. ;o)

10:37
Mike Knoll: @v - impossible to predict. the judge may tell the jurors the day before or he may just be spontaneously called or he may not be called at all. We can only report what the jury hears so the media may know in advance but would be unable to report it until the jury is made aware.
10:35
Comment From v
if Rafferty was to take stand, would we somehow get notice that he would?
10:33
Mike Knoll: @guest - you can just walk in. There is a security check at the main entrance.
10:33
Comment From Guest
So, if I want to go and watch the trial one day, do I just show up at the courthouse? Do I have to sign in or anything or just walk in?
10:32
Mike Knoll: @v - 3 months for the whole trial. The Crown is nearing the end of its case.

Maybe someone forgot to bring his clothes? I'd like to see him in an orange jumper.

In Canada, the courts always have the final say with regard to sentencing. Nevertheless, plea bargaining has become an accepted part of the criminal justice system although judges and Crown attorneys are often reluctant to refer to it as such. In most Canadian criminal proceedings, the Crown has the ability to recommend a lighter sentence than it would seek following a guilty verdict in exchange for a guilty plea.

Like other common law jurisdictions, the Crown can also agree to withdraw some charges against the defendant in exchange for a guilty plea. This has become standard procedure for certain offences such as impaired driving. Note that in the case of hybrid offences, the Crown must make a binding decision as to whether to proceed summarily or by indictment prior to the defendant making his or her plea. If the Crown elects to proceed summarily and the defendant then pleads not guilty, the Crown cannot change its election. Therefore, the Crown is not in a position to offer to proceed summarily in exchange for a guilty plea.

Canadian judges are not bound by the Crown's sentencing recommendations and could impose harsher penalties. Therefore, the Crown and the defence will often make a joint submission where they will both recommend the same sentence, or (much more commonly) a relatively narrow range (with the Crown arguing for a sentence at the upper end of the range and the defence arguing for a sentence at the lower end) so as to maintain the visibility of the judge's ability to exercise discretion.

Judges are not bound to impose a sentence within the range of a joint submission, and a judge's disregard for a joint submission is not in itself grounds for the sentence to be altered on appeal. However, if a judge routinely disregards joint submissions, that judge would compromise the ability of the Crown to offer meaningful incentives for defendants to plead guilty. Defence lawyers would become reluctant to enter into joint submissions if they were thought to be of little value with a particular judge, which would thus result in otherwise avoidable trials.

For these reasons, Canadian judges will normally impose a sentence within the range of any joint submission

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plea_bargain"]Plea bargain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

10:42
Mike Knoll: @DEBBIE - I would assume so as they would need to prepare cross-examination.
10:41
Comment From DEBBIE
Will the Crown be given notice if Rafferty is to testify?
Mike Knoll: @monique - thank you for your perspective.
10:40
Comment From Monique
It may be worth noting that, in general, when defence is mainly relying on holes in the Crown case (i.e. circumstantial evidence and unreliable witnesses) the defendant is less likely to take the stand. The defendant will often choose to take the stand in cases where there is irrefutable (beyond question) evidence against them and their testimony will attempt to put doubt to that evidence.

Still waiting for him to answer my question. lol

Mike Knoll: @DEBBIE - I would assume so as they would need to prepare cross-examination.
Comment From DEBBIE
Comment From Monique
It may be worth noting that, in general, when defence is mainly relying on holes in the Crown case (i.e. circumstantial evidence and unreliable witnesses) the defendant is less likely to take the stand. The defendant will often choose to take the stand in cases where there is irrefutable (beyond question) evidence against them and their testimony will attempt to put doubt to that evidence.

But, there is one thing that may go against this theory.

Vanity/Ego.

JMO

Comment From DEBBIE
Comment From Monique

I asked a couple of different sources myself, and no reply to any of them either. This really makes me wonder if Derstine is in fact not present either, and by telling the public this it would fuel further speculation as to what the reasons for the delay is. I would think if he was there it wouldn't be a big deal to answer.

JMO

Being told we should start just after 11.

A transportation delay is the reason the trial is behind. Rafferty is in his way to the courthouse now.

For those asking, all the lawyers in the case are at the courthouse.

AM980.ca ‏ @AM980_Court
For those asking, all the lawyers in the case are at the courthouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maia1919