Trial Thread, May 1, 2012 Defense begins it case in chief

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They just said on the live news at noon that the Grandmother DID NOT want to testify for defense. I feel she testified with full intent and integrity. MOO

Of course the poor woman did not want to testify for the accused child rapist and murderer!

How horrible!

Another victim, the way I see it.

JMO

It makes no sense that she was targeted however there are a lot of coincidences IMO

Maybe he did try, but the Crown felt they had a slam dunk and didn't want to give MTR any break.

A plea deal would still be a decision left up to the accused, regardless of what his lawyer advised or what the Crown wanted. I do think the Crown felt they had a good case, and the infamous "deal with the Devil" is probably never far from their minds.

IMO, because of her memory issues? Credibility? I'm guessing her interview with LE was wishy washy.

I don't mean the above in a mean way. Eye witnesses are sometimes unreliable and I think this may be one of those cases.

ITA I threw that out there because I too believe that the Crown didn't find this woman's eye witness account to be rock solid.

Agreed however she wasnt a reliable witness due to two interviews where the information she brought forth was different. JMO

Can you please post the information stating she was not a reliable witness? I must have missed that determination. Thanking you in advance MOO

So why didn't they send the jury home instead of an extended lunch break? He said he only had one witness and that was it.

What will they do this afternoon?

not sure? A tweet upstream said they most likely would get instruction about how the rest of the case will progress? It has also been tweeted that they are arguing legal matters over the longer lunch break.

I think everyone was surprised at how quick the defense rested.... so I wouldn't think they would jump thru hoops to get the jurors sequestered by this afternoon (most likely they all planned on going home tonight)

moo

not sure if anything to appeal; I mean the defense cannot lie or make up a defense..it has to be based on fact. AND maybe defense could find no one to get up on the stand and say anything that would be defensive of MTR. Can't knit a witness :O) MOO

But they can knit a defence snoofer. Does not have to be proven facts, only suggestions, hypotheticals, and innuendo that could create reasonable doubt.

MOO

We won't know until more info comes out, but IMO Derstine had so very little to work with, that MTR might not even be able to appeal on the grounds of ineffective counsel, i.e. any review of the facts to try to support an appeal would find that no other lawyer could have done any more than DD >> "Appeal Denied".

Speaking of which ... if there is an immediate appeal launched, is there still a publication ban on the info we have not heard yet?

It will depend on the verdict. I dont' think an appeal can be launched until the case is over, unless there is an appeal filed against the results of any evidence motions. Otherwise - the appeal has to wait for the verdict. Lucky for us, as soon as the jury is sequested, they will start publishing all the info from the many, many legal arguments.

Salem

It makes no sense that she was targeted however there are a lot of coincidences IMO

After following this case from day one of Tori's abduction and reading here during the trial and the time in between, I think I have seen on many occasions that posters have effectively posted how or why Tori could have been targeted. MOO

Can you please post the information stating she was not a reliable witness? I must have missed that determination. Thanking you in advance MOO

you have to read back thru the thread to the testimony (back a few pages iirc)... peeps posted the tweets directly from the courtroom

Witness also said she thought it was TS's mother, and said she was one bus length away, then two bus length away. She isn't really a credible witness, she is too confused about what she saw.
It's funny how memory can play tricks, especially if someone has a preconceived notion of what happened. Tara was giving her 1 o'clock PCs, wore a white coat and had long dark hair. Many people suspected she was involved, even the police. Maybe the witness's imagination coloured her memory. JMO

Respectfully bolded my me. That is what I ask myself. That is also why I come to the conclusion that TLM did not enter the school MOO. TS was rushing that day because she had a movie date with some girls in her new house!! I would have been quite excited myself when I was her age. MOO. Between the Gramma and Teacher, I would weigh heavily in favour of the teachers testimony, as oppsed to the Grammas.
I also believe gramma clearly saw someone enter the school, it just was not TLM IMO

She also saw the woman in the white coat with Tori walking up the hill. I think it is safe to say she saw the same person. JMO

They just said on the live news at noon that the Grandmother DID NOT want to testify for defense. I feel she testified with full intent and integrity. MOO

I don't think anyone doubts her honesty or integrity. However, the fact remains that her testimony was inconsistent with the police report and is inconsistent with the teacher's testimony.

The jury will have to weigh these things when they deliberate.

Salem

After following this case from day one of Tori's abduction and reading here during the trial and the time in between, I think I have seen on many occasions that posters have effectively posted how or why Tori could have been targeted. MOO

As well as good arguments as to why she was not targeted.

This poor woman came forward to help with what she saw and defence tore it to pieces.

I'm totally confused. What is this? Is that all? If Derstine haven't said already that this is his only witness I would think that there is still a bomb shell to come. I really don't get it. Did MR know that this is all what his lawyer can do for him?

I feel like being in the middle of a joke.

No family from him present...that says a lot.

What a circus. I really don't know what to say. We all expected so much today and that is it? stunned

Like I said there are a lot of coincidences

you have to read back thru the thread to the testimony (back a few pages iirc)... peeps posted the tweets directly from the courtroom

Thanks. I was going to type it all out but I dont have time for that.

I think what Derstine tried to prove was that if TLM went into the school boldly than she was in fact in charge and that his theory that MR had no clue what was about to transpire would make sense, except you can't have one witness who had two different police reports with no evidence to back the testimony.

I'm totally confused. What is this? Is that all? If Derstine haven't said already that this is his only witness I would think that there is still a bomb shell to come. I really don't get it. Did MR know that this is all what his lawyer can do for him?

I feel like being in the middle of a joke.

No family from him present...that says a lot.

What a circus. I really don't know what to say. We all expected so much today and that is it? stunned

Maybe MTR saw how badly it was going in the media and told his lawyer; just forget it...I'm done, let's wrap it up and just let the jury decide on what they have. MOO MTR defense was not that he wasn't present; but that he was too afraid to do anything to help TS and was his justification for his lies and cover up. Maybe defense just hoped at least one juror would feel sorry for him and not convict. MOO

Think it will be a FAIL for defense and MTR. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member