Tropical Storm Issac aims toward U.S.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were really lucky then because we live near a school so the power company came to get the schools lights back on first in our neighborhood so we had lights the next day after Ike hit at 1 p.m. We had friends come over to our place to sit in the a/c and get ice.

after Ike hit, we bought a natural gas gen. It cost a pretty penny, about 5,000 dollars, but 30 seconds after the power goes out, it comes on, and runs our entire 2 story home. Best investment I have ever made.

when Ike had hit, we had at the time, a small gasoline gen, pain in the but, loud, couldnt find extra gas, smelled bad, and would only run the deep freeze and a hot plate. we were were with out power for 2 weeks except for that small gasoline gen..

oh the mosquitos were pure H double hockey sticks...muggy, humid...just terrible..

of course, we were the people in the neighborhood who had the sign out fromt before the storm, that said..

"Ike, Tina isnt here" lol.

I hope this hurricane does peter out and everyone on our coasts stays safe.

One thing really worries me....if Isaac does hit the Alabama/Florida panhandle area will it bring the large mats of BP oil, lying on the ocean floor, in land?

Our family loves vacationing in that area and the people are so nice. I'd hate to see the beautiful beaches covered with that awful gunk again. In Alabama they only cleaned the public beaches 6 foot down. Hurricane Ike took a lot of beach sand and dumped it on the other side of Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan etc. We saw a giant mountain of sand the locals said had to be cleaned and hauled back to the beach side to build up the beaches again.

I am going to be just to the upper right quadrant where it makes landfall, which is the worst part of the storm. But this one is not a big one. Planning on going to stay with my son and his family. let the wind blow and I will be getting grandbaby hugs and slobbery kisses.

after Ike hit, we bought a natural gas gen. It cost a pretty penny, about 5,000 dollars, but 30 seconds after the power goes out, it comes on, and runs our entire 2 story home. Best investment I have ever made.

when Ike had hit, we had at the time, a small gasoline gen, pain in the but, loud, couldnt find extra gas, smelled bad, and would only run the deep freeze and a hot plate. we were were with out power for 2 weeks except for that small gasoline gen..

oh the mosquitos were pure H double hockey sticks...muggy, humid...just terrible..

of course, we were the people in the neighborhood who had the sign out fromt before the storm, that said..

"Ike, Tina isnt here" lol.

I was wondering how much those generators cost. I would gladly pay the 5 grand if I still lived in Fl. When Rita hit we went 11 days with no electricity. Those loud generators that only work a few appliances, were awful. Luckily where I live now all the power is underground and the longest we have been without power is maybe 2 hrs. Even after the great flood of 2009. We are 1,000 ft above sea level so it will take a lot of rain to flood us.

I was wondering how much those generators cost. I would gladly pay the 5 grand if I still lived in Fl. When Rita hit we went 11 days with no electricity. Those loud generators that only work a few appliances, were awful. Luckily where I live now all the power is underground and the longest we have been without power is maybe 2 hrs. Even after the great flood of 2009. We are 1,000 ft above sea level so it will take a lot of rain to flood us.

oh, you are high up then? and it must be nice to have the power under ground:)

yes, then gen was something that myslef, my husband talked about, we both agreed it would be a good investment, as we only live about 20 to 30 minutes away from Galveston Island, and after Ike, dealing w/ that tiny gas gen, the madness of it all, we thought, why the heck not? After we had ours installed, a neighbor, the next house over, had got one to:) when the power does go out, we are good to go with no more worry.

the only thing we worry about now, is gathering up our hens from the chicken coup, and getting them sorted in the garage in a huge pet carrier lol

We lost power last night along with alot of other arears up Florida's east coast. They are also predicting wind gusts for tonight of 55mph.
Everyone needs to pay attention because this can produce tornadoes even if you aren't in the cone.
Stay safe, stay in and protect your property and family.

Heard on the news visitors in the keys were asked to voluntarily evacuate before saturday night. Will try to find out more info.

Governor Rick Scott has declared Florida under state of emergency. Will hold press conference soon.

Question to all you posters who live in areas where hurricanes occur.

If I were a visitor in your area with a hurricane approaching and had the choice of evacuating voluntarily or staying what would you want me to do?

-------------------------------------
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/25/2967651/fla-prepares-for-isaac-on-eve.html

MIAMI -- Florida Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency as Tropical Storm Isaac approaches the state.

Scott said the goal was to make sure every local, state and federal agency "has the exact same information" on the storm and preparations in order to make informed decisions. He issued the state of emergency Saturday during a media briefing in Broward County.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/25/2967651/fla-prepares-for-isaac-on-eve.html#storylink=cpy

We lost power last night along with alot of other arears up Florida's east coast. They are also predicting wind gusts for tonight of 55mph.
Everyone needs to pay attention because this can produce tornadoes even if you aren't in the cone.
Stay safe, stay in and protect your property and family.

Governor Rick Scott has declared Florida under state of emergency. Will hold press conference soon.

If I were a visitor in your area with a hurricane approaching and had the choice of evacuating voluntarily or staying what would you want me to do?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/25/2967651/fla-prepares-for-isaac-on-eve.html

MIAMI -- Florida Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency as Tropical Storm Isaac approaches the state.

Scott said the goal was to make sure every local, state and federal agency "has the exact same information" on the storm and preparations in order to make informed decisions. He issued the state of emergency Saturday during a media briefing in Broward County.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/25/2967651/fla-prepares-for-isaac-on-eve.html#storylink=cpy

I'd go. Especially in the Keys...there's only one way out. It's not like you can flee north or south depending on a change in direction.

I'm just north of Orlando and my forecast calls for a 30% chance of rain today yet for the past hour it's been pouring down rain so hard you can barely see outside and the thunder is so bad it feels like the whole house is shaking! So much for the 30%. Don't trust these storms. JMO as a long time FL resident.

Evacuate of course. For your own safety and also so that after the storm hit there would be more resources for those that decided to stay with their home.

I live 30 minutes from the MS Coast and I always evacuate when they say to go, I am not a "ride it out kind of girl". The safety of my girls is primary to me. We went 60 miles North to my moms for Katrina. That didn't help much as her area got hit really hard too. The storm took a path directly across her county. It was pretty scarey, we saw several torandos and the storm seemed to go on and on, the kids thought it would never stop blowing and howling. Then it was more than a week before we could leave to go check on our house because the roads were impassable. Another two weeks before we had electricity at our home. The national guard dropped water and MRE's every few days within a mile of my house. My kids thought that was fun at first, but now they never want to look at another MRE.

If Issac makes landfall on Wednesday as predicted, that is 7 years to the day that Katrina made landfall....

I'd go. Especially in the Keys...there's only one way out. It's not like you can flee north or south depending on a change in direction.

I'm just north of Orlando and my forecast calls for a 30% chance of rain today yet for the past hour it's been pouring down rain so hard you can barely see outside and the thunder is so bad it feels like the whole house is shaking! So much for the 30%. Don't trust these storms. JMO as a long time FL resident.
We're just north east of of Palm Beach winds have increased a little, but its not raining here, last night it did.

Thanks Reality Orlando...my thoughts are to evacuate also...especially in the keys with one main highway out. I've never been in a hurricane and I didn't realize how hard it rains before the hurricane comes!

I'm halfway between Tampa & Orlando, it's not raining here yet, but the clouds are building, and it's thundering!

ETA pic...btw..it's a color pic!

6c210e2a-2c4e-1c84.jpg

Evacuate of course. For your own safety and also so that after the storm hit there would be more resources for those that decided to stay with their home.

I live 30 minutes from the MS Coast and I always evacuate when they say to go, I am not a "ride it out kind of girl". The safety of my girls is primary to me. We went 60 miles North to my moms for Katrina. That didn't help much as her area got hit really hard too. The storm took a path directly across her county. It was pretty scarey, we saw several torandos and the storm seemed to go on and on, the kids thought it would never stop blowing and howling. Then it was more than a week before we could leave to go check on our house because the roads were impassable. Another two weeks before we had electricity at our home. The national guard dropped water and MRE's every few days within a mile of my house. My kids thought that was fun at first, but now they never want to look at another MRE.

If Issac makes landfall on Wednesday as predicted, that is 7 years to the day that Katrina made landfall....

Hubby and I were discussing the limited resources following a hurricane. Plus getting in the way of clean up afterward. We'd decided we'd voluntarily evacuate as soon as we could pack up. Since we'd be driving and not flying we'd be gone in a flash.

I really appreciate yours and Reality Orlando's answers. Things we non locals don't consider when a hurricane is approaching.

The heavy early rains, flooding and possible tornadoes.
Congestion on the roads and highways.
Taking up space at the shelters.
Possibly getting stranded in the area and can't leave for days due to damages.
Using up valuable resources like food and water.
MRI's really really suck after 2 weeks.

My parents have rented a condo on Santa Rosa Island (Navarre/Pensacola area) beginning Sept 1.
So far this looks like a bullseye. Hoping there is a house to vacation in.
Hubby and I are pulling our boys out of school the week of Labor Day and heading down 8/31-9/9.
I guess we'll know if the house is there before we leave anyway.

My boys asked if we don't go to Florida can they still stay out of school! NOT

I'm in Pcola, and we've been through Ivan and all the others... my take on this one is, meh.

Its a beautiful sun shiny day outside right now, but you can feel the heavy moisture in the air.
This old house was built in 61, never had any hurricane damage and we have been hit by some big ones, Jeanne, Frances.
Everyone is coming here just in case, lol.
Party time is right.

We have friends in Palm City, FL. They are right on the water so I am sure they have moved their boat to a safe place as they have been there since the 80s and know the drill. Be safe everyone in the path of this storm.

Its a beautiful sun shiny day outside right now, but you can feel the heavy moisture in the air.
This old house was built in 61, never had any hurricane damage and we have been hit by some big ones, Jeanne, Frances.
Everyone is coming here just in case, lol.
Party time is right.

partee on BB!

I had a friend who was visiting me in south Fl and a hurricane was coming right at us , so she left to go visit another friend in Orlando and it missed us and went up and hit her. She was so mad she didn't stay put.

In other news the republicans have decided to postpone Mondays convention activities and convene Tuesday. I have learned over the years not to plan anything during hurricane season that can be hit by a hurricane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member