True Crime Movies

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wonderland about John Holmes and the Wonderland murders quite an interesting read.

Not exactly a movie, but we have an excellent tv series called Underbelly which follows true crime in Australia...and police corruption.

I highly recommend EVERYONE watch Underbelly Golden Mile, you will get an idea of how RARE guns and gun murders are in our society.

Not exactly a movie, but we have an excellent tv series called Underbelly which follows true crime in Australia...and police corruption.

I highly recommend EVERYONE watch Underbelly Golden Mile, you will get an idea of how RARE guns and gun murders are in our society.

Its on youtube. :D

Murder in the Desert; Danielle van Dam was sexually abused and murdered by David Westerfield.

theres 2 i am really wanting to see but thier more of a documentry type the first is called Villisca living with a mystery =obviouslly about the villisca axe murders..And 2 the movie/documentry the tara calico story..

That's a good list.
I cannot watch Nicole Kidman in any movie without thinking of her in that role, she nailed it in that performance. Do u think that closing scene was true? Where she ended up? (Don't want to spoil the ending)! She was scary.

:coldcase:

I agree there is something, just something, that is scary about Nicole Kidman... :scared: Did you see her in "Malice" with Alec Baldwin ? Sorry Steely, I know that's not true crime, but still.... :seeya:

Probably already mentioned, but just watched 'Murder on a Sunday Morning' which is available on youtube right now.
Excellent Oscar winning documentary. The Defence lawyer is absolutely awesome.

Lord knows how many people I told over the years that this was a true story. Still an excellent film though and the series was very good as well.

Yes, Fargo wasn't true but I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they got an idea from the Helle Crafts murder.

Hi Spurser;

Actually, The Town That Dreaded Sundown would probably be #1 on my guilty pleasure list. It's totally low budget but who cares!? It has become a cult film of sorts.

This list is only movies that I have seen so that's why the last film you mention isn't included. Regarding the other two, stay tuned. One is close and I think the other is somewhere in the next 90.

Hi Standreid and Sleuthers,
On IMDB it says this is being remade 2015.
Kate x

Hi Spurser;

Actually, The Town That Dreaded Sundown would probably be #1 on my guilty pleasure list. It's totally low budget but who cares!? It has become a cult film of sorts.

This list is only movies that I have seen so that's why the last film you mention isn't included. Regarding the other two, stay tuned. One is close and I think the other is somewhere in the next 90.

Hi Standreid and Sleuthers,
On IMDB it says this is being remade 2015.
Kate x

Starring Gary Cole (from American Gothic) -I was too scared to watch that series as well. :blushing: (I scare easily!)

CHINATOWN,
CHINATOWN,
and at the risk of repetition, CHINATOWN!

Based in large part of the first great true crime drama: OEDIPUS by Sophocles.

Honorable mention:

BODY HEAT
THE LOVELY BONES
IN HER SKIN
ANTIGONE (Anouilh's version)
PSYCHO
FATAL VISION
THE MEAN SEASON
COMPULSION, etc.

Note: I can't promise that all of the above are based on "true" crime (though OEDIPUS and ANTIGONE were considered historical episodes by the Ancient Greeks), but they all have the ring of authenticity.

I viewed The Frozen Ground (about Robert Hansen), Devil's Knot (about the West Memphis Three) and Lizzie Borden Took and Axe last week. None were particularly good but I think I liked Lizzie the most - at least that movie had a little life in it. The first two = :bed:

This is my favourite thread on websleuths Standreid.
Has a movie about the McStay family been made?
(None of this stuff ever makes the news here)
Kate x

Not to my knowledge Kate but it would be a good one if done right. Since we don't know what happened, I suppose it mostly have to be about the investigation and the search with maybe some lead up information about the McStays.

Echoes in the Darkness about Susan Reinert and her two children in 1979. Karen and Michael Reinert have never been found.

it's good read too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub
Back