GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the previous poster was merely referring to the fact that if SS wanted to meet up with strangers in a foreign place it would be alot safer to meet up with random woman, than random men. I am sure there are female photographers in Turkey and I think it is a little odd that all of the strangers we know she was talking to were men, not women.

It is a shame it is true but the fact of the matter is that it just is not that safe to meet up with men you meet over the Internet, especially if they know you are alone in a foreign place. some men,especially if they do not know she is married, will get the wrong impression. Add to that the fact that many people in other cultures have a stereotypical view of American women as "easy" and it makes the risk even greater. 99% of the time, it may end up being ok, and maybe that was the case here, maybe she was not harmed by anyone she met over the Internet. But the 1% of the time things can wrong can be quite tragic... Why take the chance? It is still a risk.

Saying that someone should be wary about meeting strange men over the Internet is not equivalent to trying to pigeon hole someone to 1950s mentality. It is just being street smart. Unfortunately it is just not the case that a lone female meeting a strange man over the internet is the same as a lone female meeting a strange female. You may hear of robbery meeting a strange female but you virtually never hear of death or rape for a female meeting female. But you do hear the latter for male meeting female. Risk may be small but the fact of the matter is the risk for female meeting male is higher than for female meeting female.

SS was a victim here, perhaps due to a random mugging or perhaps due to foul play at meeting some stranger over the Internet.

The post that I made about the 1950's was to a different post that was way farther back in this thread and was not directly referring to it being safe to meet strange men. That's just silly. I was making a specific point, and extrapolating all of this extra tangential stuff from it doesn't help clarify anything.

I think she took a lot of risks, and also did a lot of things right - like her constant communication with her family, updating them about where she was, who she was with, where she was going, etc. And put together, it sounds a lot like the profile of most people I know who travel solo - balancing risks against safety. In this case the risks won, and it's horrible to imagine. I know I will dream about this and imagine what she went through. I feel very attached to this woman I never met.

Have they stated whether or not any of her valuable possesions that she carried with her were missing?

So far there's been mention her clothes, some earrings and an extra pair of shoes. Nothing has been said about her iPad and phone. I wonder where they are?

CBS News reporter Laura Wells in Istanbul reports that the police said the nine people who were detained were at the scene when the body was found with Sierra's driver's license near the Four Seasons Hotel.

Authorities believe that Sierra was probably stabbed elsewhere and her body was then left at the city walls, Wells reports.

Anadolu suggested Sierra may have been killed at another location and that her body may have been brought to the site to be hidden amid the city walls.

A police official on the site told journalists two of those detained were women.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57567300/turkish-media-missing-new-york-woman-sarai-sierra-found-dead/

well, I was hoping she was off having an affair.... :( not the outcome I thought or hoped for :(

Me too! I was totally shock when I came here an saw her body had been found.

RIP Sarai I feel so bad for her two sons, so tragic.

I think the previous poster was merely referring to the fact that if SS wanted to meet up with strangers in a foreign place it would be alot safer to meet up with random woman, than random men. I am sure there are female photographers in Turkey and I think it is a little odd that all of the strangers we know she was talking to were men, not women.

It is a shame it is true but the fact of the matter is that it just is not that safe to meet up with men you meet over the Internet, especially if they know you are alone in a foreign place. some men,especially if they do not know she is married, will get the wrong impression. Add to that the fact that many people in other cultures have a stereotypical view of American women as "easy" and it makes the risk even greater. 99% of the time, it may end up being ok, and maybe that was the case here, maybe she was not harmed by anyone she met over the Internet. But the 1% of the time things can wrong can be quite tragic... Why take the chance? It is still a risk.

Saying that someone should be wary about meeting strange men over the Internet is not equivalent to trying to pigeon hole someone to 1950s mentality. It is just being street smart. Unfortunately it is just not the case that a lone female meeting a strange man over the internet is the same as a lone female meeting a strange female. You may hear of robbery meeting a strange female but you virtually never hear of death or rape for a female meeting female. But you do hear the latter for male meeting female. Risk may be small but the fact of the matter is the risk for female meeting male is higher than for female meeting female.

SS was a victim here, perhaps due to a random mugging or perhaps due to foul play at meeting some stranger over the Internet.

I was thinking more of a Turkish womann, with some type of reference, for example, a university connection, but I agree with what you say here. Even a random Turkish woman who claimed a common interest in photography or culture would be unlikely to perpetrate a criminal act against a tourist.

RIP SS.

So sad. We can't be safe anywhere anymore.

Very unfortunate and I hope her family gets justice.

Update: New video sighting of Ms. Sierra
1:15pm at Sirkeci walking toward Sarayburnu

According to information from police sources, the scanned images MOBESE and Sierra month, in 21-hour security camera 13:15 in Sirkeci was walking towards Seraglio.

LINK

We now have a direct track of her walking down Istiklal Ave (video 11:33am) to the Galata Bridge (video 12:10pm) to Sirkeci (video 1:15pm).

She was walking toward where her body was found. But witnesses (and police) claim the body was placed there TUES around midnight. Was she abducted from there and then returned to around the same spot?

I'm sure LE is taking a long, hard look at "Taylan"/TK right now. As they should.

LINK

We now have a direct track of her walking down Istiklal Ave (video 11:33am) to the Galata Bridge (video 12:10pm) to Sirkeci (video 1:15pm).

She was walking toward where her body was found. But witnesses (and police) claim the body was placed there TUES around midnight. Was she abducted from there and then returned to around the same spot?

I'm sure LE is taking a long, hard look at "Taylan"/TK right now. As they should.

I think he told LE that they met the day before 1/20, correct? But not 1/21? And they say she went missing on 1/21. Previous reports said that the text messages between Sarai and Taylan were on 1/20, then it was changed to 1/21. I wonder which is correct? Is it possible that those messages were from 1/20? I guess LE knows the answer by now.

I believe it's entirely possible that Taylan is not involved IF the messages are from 1/20 and not 1/21 - and that she went back to take more pictures or enjoy the area. However, if the messages are from 1/21, then... I think it could be a very different story.

bbm

Turkish news reports said Sierra had arranged to meet her contact, 'Taylan,' on Galata Bridge she wanted to photograph the day she went missing. Previous reports claimed the planned to meet on the 20th.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rance-missing-New-York-mom.html#ixzz2JmNud7rR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So far there's been mention her clothes, some earrings and an extra pair of shoes. Nothing has been said about her iPad and phone. I wonder where they are?

Considering that the phone was activated on 1/30 and on 1/31, I think they were tossed, kept, or pawned. If Taylan is involved, I'm betting they were tossed or pawned. If the motive was robbery, then who knows? Someone may have kept them. :(

January 30:
A Skype call was placed on her American cell phone

January 31:
Sierra's cell phone was activated again

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rance-missing-New-York-mom.html#ixzz2JmPI3XTa

LINK

I wonder how accurate the Tuesday at midnight sighting is? If the witness was someone who was drinking under the "arches" at the time, I would expect the police to have doubts about his reliability.

OMG, I just came to the site and the first thing I saw is the "found deceased" in the thread title.
I'm so sorry! My deepest condolences to her family, friends and loved ones!
Now I'm going back to catch up and read what transpired.

LINK

FWIW, regarding the mention of Seraglio (the direction she was seen heading from Sirkeci), according to Wikipedia, this is simply the English name for Sarayburnu.

To me it seems that SS was picked up in the Saraburnu area (there are a lot of tourist sites there) on Monday Jan 21, taken and held wherever (could be very local or not) and then her body was 'dumped' back in the general area where she was picked up. This is very discouraging because it pretty much leaves things wide open as far as the perp(s) goes. :(

And, of course, it could be Taylan, but then again it may not be.

I think he told LE that they met the day before 1/20, correct? But not 1/21? And they say she went missing on 1/21. Previous reports said that the text messages between Sarai and Taylan were on 1/20, then it was changed to 1/21. I wonder which is correct? Is it possible that those messages were from 1/20? I guess LE knows the answer by now.

I believe it's entirely possible that Taylan is not involved IF the messages are from 1/20 and not 1/21 - and that she went back to take more pictures or enjoy the area. However, if the messages are from 1/21, then... I think it could be a very different story.

bbm

The Turkish National Police, who are using social media to trace Sierra's steps in İstanbul, on Thursday said one of the four Turkish citizens with whom Sierra communicated online went by “Taylan” on Gmail. At that time, the police had identified Taylan, who messaged Sierra three times to meet him on Jan. 21,.......... According to the police, T.K. and Sierra met twice in person before she went missing. The last time they met was Jan. 20 in Sirkeci. The following day, Sierra sent an email to T.K. about meeting up on the Eminönü side of Galata Bridge, but he never received the message.
http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305815-last-person-to-see-missing-new-yorker-met-with-her-on-jan-20.html

For the person who wondered why the alleged witness didn't call police. Many Turkish people don't trust their police, who are in many ways more corrupt than our police. However, if she was dumped then it seems fairly likely that the Taylan guy may have been involved. It doesn't fit that they text each other to make plans to meet on the day she disappears and he doesn't meet up with her. And it also wouldn't fit a mugging scenario. Usually, robbers just kill their victim and leave the body.

I have traveled alone and have met up with people from the internet. However, it's always with a group and in a public area. It's sad to say but there are people everywhere who will take advantage of a lone woman.

ETA: Based on that translation article, if her jewelry was still on her, then the robbery scenario looks less and less likely and it seems that they moved her in a blanket. Which leads me to believe that she have befriended someone she shouldn't have.

I feel terrible for the husband and two young ones left behind. My deepest sympathies to this talented young woman's family. RIP Sarai.

R.I.P. :(

They said on CNN .. 9 people were held .. or arrested ... that possibly connected to woman's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay