TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re: phone and computer passwords

(All of the following is my speculation)

Alan was in a management position at a professional services firm and likely dealt routinely with business sensitive and confidential information. Cyber security precautions have been increased over the past year with the pandemic moving many into a mobile or work-from-home situation. IMO, I would be astonished if KPMG did not have an enterprise data security system in place for email (mobile and computer access) and any other data or documentation access for work.

Here’s an overview of several enterprise off-the-shelf solutions focused on email (I do not know what KPMG uses, but, in my strong opinion, they use something, and perhaps a proprietary system):

The Top 11 Email Security Gateways | Expert Insights

My organization uses an enterprise data protection service that requires multi-factor authentication and a combination of PINs and passwords that individually must meet security requirements and have to be updated every 30-90 days. Work from stations and laptops are dedicated - they are not for personal use and you can only use verified encrypted mobile data sources with them. We use VPNs with separate access requirements. I have dedicated phone apps that require separate authentication to use if I need to access a work spreadsheet or document via a mobile device (which fortunately, is rare for me).

My organization requires that my iPhone login be a minimum of 9 digits updated every 30 days (and no reusing previous passcodes — it’s fun!).

IIRC, Alan worked in cloud computing solutions in healthcare, where cyber security precautions are likely stringent. We’ve all heard media reports of increased random ware attacks involving hospital systems, and a even a non-ransomware cyber intrusion involving healthcare-related data could involve costs running into the millions and even billions of dollars. I would have been more surprised (IMO) if his husband had access to his phone or workstation (and, although not the primary concern when Alan went missing, it would be considered a security breach if Rusty were able to access a device used for work purposes).

Most individuals in my organization can still make individual phone purchases and will receive individual phone bills that are provided by carriers, so Rusty may (IMO) have been trying to access online billing information for Alan’s phone, which, in my situation, would still show the timing for calls / texts received (no content info) and some location information. My partner has password information for that since we have a shared account. It sounds as though Rusty and Alan did not have a shared account — and that may be more a reflection of the cybersecurity precautions that would be mandated for Alan.

In my organization, dedicated work devices that do not involve individual billing are generally provided only for international travel and for those working directly in cyber security. Most enterprise systems will allow settings to be customized by the organization for individual users — so I, for instance, can maintain personal social media apps on my phone and post online at Websleuths in accordance with company policy. Others who routinely handle more sensitive information are not be allowed to do so. I can use Bluetooth on my phone. Others can not. I don’t know what KPMG’s policy is.

I thought it would be useful to provide some perspective from someone who works for a national organization that does work in the cyber security sphere (though that’s not my focus).

We all bring different experiences to the discussion. Mine is that I know many (seemingly) happily married couples who do not share mobile accounts or devices — or access to accounts and devices — due to the profession of one or both partners.

My experience as well. One thing to add - when a corporate device is reported stolen, one of the first things our IT security team does is remotely wipe it and lock it. (please correct me if i'm using the wrong terminology) Hopefully this wasn't done here, as the police were involved early in the case and would likely have instructed the firm to leave any corporate phones/ipads/laptops active.
My opinions only.

Lots of zooming in on this phone being a corporate phone, but I believe it was his personal phone. Many people, yours truly included, have a work phone and a personal phone.

True, and many have dual purpose phones, like I described. I don’t know that we’ll ever know what phone(s) setup Alan used, but it plays into the discussion in several ways:
  • As @moslym3 notes, if it were a work phone with an enterprise system installed, KPMG may have had the capability to wipe it or provide useful information about phone usage to LE;
  • If he were carrying only a personal phone not used for corporate work, he would not be able to check work email while going about his morning activities. That may be an explanation for a fairly brief and early morning workout session — he would not be expected to be out of touch professionally for extended periods of time;
  • If he were carrying a personal phone not used for corporate work, he would have likely needed to be at his home workstation for his 7:00 am call. Alternatively, he would have needed to have been separately carrying a work phone if he were planning to do the work call away from his (work or home) office. Rusty’s early concern may have been prompted by his knowledge that Alan had to be at home for the call and could not simply call in from the Church’s parking lot or via hands free calling while driving (a separate issue from whether that would be considered professionally appropriate for what has been termed in media as a video-enabled call);
  • There has been much speculation as to whether Alan could have been using any number of apps to communicate with someone that morning. Using a dual purpose or work-dedicated phone could mean additional information would be available from his employer (likely via subpoena) in addition to the individual app owners;
  • Although far down the list, many of my friends store playlists, etc, on their phones to play when driving (although this was a loaner, which may have precluded Alan from doing so even if it were usual for him) or audibly read or alert you to email and other incoming alerts. It would be interesting to know if there were any indication that took place;
  • Finally, if he had both a work and personal phone, I suppose that leads us back to why he and his husband did not share access to personal phone information.
To me, it’s interesting to consider what additional (if any) tech info might be available and how technology may have been part of his and others’ decision-making that morning.

he would not be expected to be out of touch professionally for extended periods of time;

But even at 05.00hrs, 06.00hrs....?!?

There are times that are personal and on the way to/from the gym before work is one if them.
I'm not American and to someone who isn't, this sounds horrific.
In the UK & Europe there are more respectful work-life balance relationships with employers, even with high-end jobs like this. Corporate stress must be massive....and don't even get me started on just 2 weeks annual leave per year. :eek:

Anyway, I'm not derailing the thread, but just commenting on the potential for employment stress....but maybe that's normal and more accepted in the States?

But even at 05.00hrs, 06.00hrs....?!?

There are times that are personal and on the way to/from the gym before work is one if them.
I'm not American and to someone who isn't, this sounds horrific.
In the UK & Europe there are more respectful work-life balance relationships with employers, even with high-end jobs like this. Corporate stress must be massive....and don't even get me started on just 2 weeks annual leave per year. :eek:

Anyway, I'm not derailing the thread, but just commenting on the potential for employment stress....but maybe that's normal and more accepted in the States?

It’s not uncommon at all, IMO. In that industry, a prompt response is expected outside midnight to 5am or so.

In my experience, that’s more an analyst/associate (i.e., lower level) requirement. The bigwigs, and it sounds like Alan was one, aren’t expected to be so responsive.

I agree, but he’s a known early-riser IMO. So maybe a response wouldn’t expected in the evening but it would in the morning (esp if he works EST). Doesn’t France prohibit work emails outside work hours? I wish Americans held French work-life balance in the same regard as they hold French fashion, perfume, etc.

It’s not uncommon at all, IMO. In that industry, a prompt response is expected outside midnight to 5am or so.
Exactly. Keep in mind his 7am call might have been with someone in NY where it would be 8am, or someone in the UK where it would have been 3pm. In the tech world, there are no "standard" hours if you are operating at a global level.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I just thought of the phone left in the car, and I suspect it was merely turned off / battery died.

While it’s not that hard to remove its SIM card, you do need something thin, like a needle, to open the holder.

Many of us have been there, it’s a tad finicky.

Would be a lot easier to just smash the phone, throw it in a ditch, a dumpster, etc. Unless it was left in the car by Alan..

I wonder if LE looked for surveillance video from the alley along the back of Mr. White’s home. It appears (based on Google Earth) parking was possible in front of the home, or in the rear via the alley way. If Alan was targeted, the alley may have been a place to wait if one was familiar with his routine. He may not have made it home, but did he make it into the alley, if he parked in the rear of the home. Random pondering..

Last edited:
I wonder if LE looked for surveillance video from the alley along the back of Mr. White’s home. It appears (based on Google Earth) parking was possible in front of the home, or in the rear via the alley way. If Alan was targeted, the alley may have been a place to wait if one was familiar with his routine. He may not have made it home, but did he make it into the alley, if he parked in the rear of the home. Random pondering..
IIRC, I think that it was mentioned that there was surveillance cameras in the back alley; and his vehicle wasn't on it. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

JMO.

IIRC, I think that it was mentioned that there was surveillance cameras in the back alley; and his vehicle wasn't on it. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

JMO.

Did you read that on the alley or specific to the house?
In the quote attached it mentions cameras in the front and back of the house and that the vehicle doesn’t show up. I was thinking of the possibility of the vehicle making it into the alley, but not necessarily in camera view behind the house. The alley appears to have several driveways, etc. that one could turn around in and avoid going directly in line sight of Alan’s home.
JMO

Hi everyone, I want you all to know that Alan is the most kind and caring person and there’s no way he would ever willingly just up and disappear. As soon as Rusty told me Alan didn’t come home I started to panic. Rusty thought maybe he got into a car accident and I remember thinking oh no I hope that’s not the case. But as the hours passed I actually started to hope that was the case. Rusty had already tried texting and calling his phone and driving by the gym and calling the hospitals and there was just no sign of him. He wasn’t planning on stopping anywhere else. I saw some suggest picking up pastries or something for us but he had already asked us earlier in the week what we’d like for breakfast when he went shopping for the week.

Rusty knew Alan was going to stop for gas either before or after the gym. We don’t know why he took that route home but we think it may be because the gas station he would’ve gone to was robbed earlier that morning and he wanted to avoid that road in case the police had it closed off.

Masked Robbers Shoot 7-Eleven Clerk Twice At Oak Lawn Store, Then Take Off

We haven’t been able to get the phone records. All we know is his last data usage was at like 6:01 am and last text he received was around 6:30 am. He would’ve charged his phone overnight so we think the SIM card was taken out.

I have seen a satellite view of where the car was found but I don’t remember the exact location. It was in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it. The seats were also wet and there was mud on the tires. It had rained really hard the day after he went missing.

We also know for a fact he didn’t make it home. There are cameras on the front and back of the house and his car never shows up.

Other details I can’t give out right now.

Odd. When you have access to the phone, you should be able to open most apps and read whatever transpired. Known exceptions are banking apps, for they will require face identification.

Makes me wonder what the additional warrants were needed for.
Maybe his social media apps were set up not to remember passwords?

I wondered that too. Then I re-read the Dallas Voice article by David Taffet posted above, and it says:

“In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

“Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone. There has been no word yet from police where they were in that process or if it revealed any clues.”

So it sounds like they executed the first warrant, gained access to the phone, learned what apps are there and then needed a second round of warrants. Tedious process.
Awe...you’re right. Thanks for pointing that out. I misread that in the article. Thanks.

Lots of zooming in on this phone being a corporate phone, but I believe it was his personal phone. Many people, yours truly included, have a work phone and a personal phone.
I agree. I have a work phone and personal phone. I don’t do anything on my work phone that’s personal. Alan probably left his work phone at home that morning thinking he would be back in time for the meeting. MOO

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that the CVS cameras at the intersection nearest his house didn’t pick up his car. If that is true then it’s doubtful he made it to the alley behind his house. However, I think it came from an unverified source.

Also rereading the information from the verified family member she speculated that the phone might have had its SIM card removed. This doesn’t make sense if they had already found the phone in the car as the recent voice article states.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back