TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another thing to consider is that some wills - including this one - essentially say “see trust docs.” Especially before legalization, there were niche legal/financial practices that would set up devices that, among other things, reduce tax liability. My barely-educated guess is that the “delay” (and I don’t think there is a delay) is more a very routine matter of finalizing taxes than someone contesting who gets the 18th century settee. Also, I see that Alan’s will contains an in terrorem clause (no-contest clause).

The death affidavit wouldn’t get into the details of death, in my experience. The obligations to pay life insurance, open estate, probate will, etc. are triggered by a death. That’s it.

(It is largely a myth that suicide voids life insurance, for those that hold that theory.)

Attachments

• 4B401F2B-DBC4-49D4-B28C-5A1A4676D11C.jpeg
    4B401F2B-DBC4-49D4-B28C-5A1A4676D11C.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 19
@Kristin Esq. and all…I posted the link to Alan’s estate filing which shows the estate is still open. His will and other documents are viewable at the link. I and others are curious why it would still be open. I’m wondering out loud now if it’s because there is still an investigation into his death? Does possible homicide play a part? The death affidavit filed states he died. It doesn’t mention cause. Curious…

What is the case number, your link brings me to a search. I searched for James Alan White, but I don't see a probate case.

@Kristin Esq. and all…I posted the link to Alan’s estate filing which shows the estate is still open. His will and other documents are viewable at the link. I and others are curious why it would still be open. I’m wondering out loud now if it’s because there is still an investigation into his death? Does possible homicide play a part? The death affidavit filed states he died. It doesn’t mention cause. Curious…

I found it! I read the will itself.

So this looks like it's going to be dependent on what the Trust says. For instance, when my grandfather died, his trust gave specific instructions about investing some of the money for X amount of years, and it wasn't until his wife died could the trust be distributed. That is just one example.

Without knowing the terms of his trust, I suspect that is the reason that the probate is still open. I don't know if money has been invested, what taxes and fees have to be paid etc... There may even be a fight over his estate, which will then keep things open. I didn't personally look for any cases, but there's always a possibility. And a fight against his estate may not even be filed, it may simply be noticed to the trustee and the probate attorney. (When my grandmother died, my cousin tried to fight her will. She never filed, but there were discussions and proof sent back and forth between the two attorneys).

I hope is helps!

I found it! I read the will itself.

So this looks like it's going to be dependent on what the Trust says. For instance, when my grandfather died, his trust gave specific instructions about investing some of the money for X amount of years, and it wasn't until his wife died could the trust be distributed. That is just one example.

Without knowing the terms of his trust, I suspect that is the reason that the probate is still open. I don't know if money has been invested, what taxes and fees have to be paid etc... There may even be a fight over his estate, which will then keep things open. I didn't personally look for any cases, but there's always a possibility. And a fight against his estate may not even be filed, it may simply be noticed to the trustee and the probate attorney. (When my grandmother died, my cousin tried to fight her will. She never filed, but there were discussions and proof sent back and forth between the two attorneys).

I hope is helps!
Since Alan's case is being investigated as a homicide, could this be a factor in the probate remaining open?

Since Alan's case is being investigated as a homicide, could this be a factor in the probate remaining open?

Estate isn’t my area but I can’t imagine that a pending criminal investigation would have anything to do with this probate matter. Again, to the extent that there is a “delay,” it is most likely because taxes are not finalized.

Apx Timeline of Events Reported:

Oct 22, 2020
4:45 am
- White and his husband, RJ, both left their home at around 4:45 a.m. Thursday, driving separate cars and going to separate gyms.
UPDATE: Alan White's car has been found; he remains missing - Dallas Voice

5:38 am - A video camera captured Alan White leaving an LA Fitness on Haskell in Dallas
'He just vanished into thin air': Family, friends desperate to find missing Dallas man | wfaa.com

Apx 6:00 am - Surveillance video released by the family on Thursday comes from the morning of Oct. 22 at around 6 a.m. at a RaceTrac at 2506 Inwood Road.
Family Releases New Surveillance Video Of Missing Dallas Man Alan White, Reward Increased

Apx 7:00 am - RJ leaves to search for Alan: When he wasn’t here at 7, I started to go look,” Jenkins said.

Police Upgrade Search for Missing Dallas Executive to ‘Endangered Missing Person'

NOTE: Don’t know the order of family arrival and police report.

At some point that morning: Alan’s brother TW flew in from West Virginia.

'He just vanished into thin air': Family, friends desperate to find missing Dallas man | wfaa.com

Within a few hours family present:
Police Upgrade Search for Missing Dallas Executive to ‘Endangered Missing Person'

Apx 11:00 am: Jenkins filed a missing person report, #188623-2020, around 11 a.m. on Thursday with Dallas police Detective Carrington.

UPDATE: Alan White's car has been found; he remains missing - Dallas Voice

Oct 27, 2020 Media Report:
So far, there’s no sign of his credit cards being used since his disappearance and his cell phone has apparently died.
The family has hired a private investigator.

Dallas Executive Alan White Missing For Almost A Week: 'He Had No Reason To Up And Leave'

Oct 29, 2020
Vehicle Located: 5800 block of Kitty Street. Between 2 bushes with keys inside:
Trackdown: $20,000 reward offered to help find James Alan White

Vehicle located, but 55-year-old Dallas man remains missing | wfaa.com

"Only thing we know was that the car was in fine shape and it was locked.”
Family pleads with community to help find missing 55-year-old Dallas man after car is found | wfaa.com

Nov 20, 2020 - search upgraded to “Endangered Missing”
Due to recent developments in the investigation, the report has been changed from a “Want to Locate” to an “Endangered Missing” person.
Endangered Missing Person – James Alan White

Dec 4, 2020 - Release that case was moved to Special Investigations Unit
UPDATE: DPD Special Investigations takes over Alan White case - Dallas Voice

May 13, 2021 - Remains found
May 14, 2021 - Remains ID’d as James Alan White

Remains Found Near Paul Quinn College ID'd As Missing Dallas Executive James Alan White

Media and Timeline Thread: TX - Alan White, 55, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 -MEDIA, MAPS, TIMELINE **NO DISCUSSION**
Been a long, long time with no additions to the timeline. Sure wish that someone would provide us with some further information. Somebody, somewhere has to know something?????

Sorry, guess I should have said that they have not released any information. Again, bad choice of words.
My apologies, my comment came out sounding snotty and I didn't intend for it to read that way.
I think we all agree it's maddeningly frustrating when LE don't release anything, even if it's to say "we have nothing new".

I still maintain the fact the family quit pushing for information (other than the brother) means something.
I was thinking the same thing, but still don't know what the implication of the silence is. Other than LE has a suspect or suspects.

Is that what you are thinking? Would love to hear your speculation.

I was thinking the same thing, but still don't know what the implication of the silence is. Other than LE has a suspect or suspects.

Is that what you are thinking? Would love to hear your speculation.
The family, those physically closest to him at the time, were publicly pleading. Until the car was found. I think something about that location coupled with what seemed some odd behavior before, either pointed to self harm or some “embarrassing” situation that caused them to withdraw publicly.
I don’t think silence is due to LE having a suspect and being unable to prove it.
It’s just a guess from “reading” people and their actions, and I certainly would not think one bit less of Alan if any of his actions led to his demise.

The family, those physically closest to him at the time, were publicly pleading. Until the car was found. I think something about that location coupled with what seemed some odd behavior before, either pointed to self harm or some “embarrassing” situation that caused them to withdraw publicly.
I don’t think silence is due to LE having a suspect and being unable to prove it.
It’s just a guess from “reading” people and their actions, and I certainly would not think one bit less of Alan if any of his actions led to his demise.
Good point about the change in behavior after the car was found. A perceptive deduction! Thanks for sharing that.

Well said! I completely agree.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08