TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Doesn’t the LA Fitness video show Alan driving forward out of a parking space he had apparently backed into? Perhaps that’s just his habit. And more evidence that he is the one who parked his car in the Kitty Street lot.

That could be the case. But in the video there are no cars parked directly behind Alan and there are several other cars that are also forward facing in the same direction as his vehicle. I couldn't determine if cars could easily pull in one way or the other, depending on how they entered the lot.

Doesn’t the LA Fitness video show Alan driving forward out of a parking space he had apparently backed into? Perhaps that’s just his habit. And more evidence that he is the one who parked his car in the Kitty Street lot.

I don't think too much of the parking. I go to an LA fitness, and this is just normal at that time of the morning, It had probably just opened and there are lots of free spaces. Most people pull straight in and forward so they don't have to back out. Seems menial to mention, but it's pretty normal.

There has never been a credible source to my knowledge that the car was backed in. There was a generic picture early on of a similar Porsche at a dealership that had been backed in and led to this speculation that the car was found backed into a space on a busy lot. My opinion only

"Alan's partner and family believe someone is responsible for his death, and they hope the public comes forward with information, as they await an arrest."
The depth of grief and emotion in those eulogizing Alan is a testament to his character and the love that he is leaving behind. I was deeply touched by their remarks, and I continue to pray for his loved ones; and most especially his beloved niece, brother, mother, and husband.

Amateur opinion and speculation

The car being backed into its discovered location is one factor that gives me pause and causes me to suspect foul play. The person who parked it must have intended to hide the license plate from easy detection.
Where did you hear that the vehicle was backed into the location it was found, I don't recall that? Have you watched the video where Detective Barnes speaks at the actual location? Here the link Trackdown: $20,000 reward offered to help find James Alan White

Here's a screen grab. It was parked in between two sections of bushes, well hidden for sure. But Barnes said nothing about it being backed into the location.

DPD waiting for test results in Alan White case - Dallas Voice

[LE] said they’re also waiting on warrants. She said a separate warrant is required for Apple and then for each application on his cell phone.

This might seem like a minor thing, but the way this article was worded, it was unclear where AW's phone was. I had assumed they were querying or trying to get records to find out where it last pinged (this interpretation may have been influenced by a comment in the article; I mention it because it may have been confirmation bias on my part). However, in the reporting after AW was found, they're saying the phone was in the car?

Alan White’s body found - Dallas Voice

At the time, police said they were waiting for results to come back from SWIFS, Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences. [...] In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

IMO, the phone being in the car makes foul play seem even less likely. Motive for foul play was already thin (no ransom, financial activity on cards/bank accounts). Now, I also don't believe in a scenario of self-harm. Given the facts that we know, he would have locked the keys in the car, left his phone there, and walked the mile or so? But this is just a strange, strange detail.
This is what I don't understand. Why don't they have phone pings? Why don't they have pings showing where his phone was and when? Not released or not requested or what?

It's hard enough to remember my own passwords, especially when they need to be changed every 6 months, so I don't know any of my husband's passwords and haven't even asked. He doesn't know any of mine and has never asked. It's more about practicalities in my family and having too much to keep up with. We did talk about setting up a LastPass family program where passwords are shared in case something happens but we've been too busy to implement it. I think a lot of people are like that and it has nothing to do with trust or distrust. It has to do with information overload in our society and in our lives. What I would like to see in case of emergencies is an agreement with each app and each phone provider that says if I'm missing for more than 2 hours please release my data immediately. This way people might be saved in hours rather than found dead 6 months later when the data comes in. Law enforcement would also be saved a lot of trouble. When signing up for a service each individual would check a box. It would be that easy. As a consumer I really really want this. I want people to be able to find me immediately! Why has no one done this?

Re: phone and computer passwords

(All of the following is my speculation)

Alan was in a management position at a professional services firm and likely dealt routinely with business sensitive and confidential information. Cyber security precautions have been increased over the past year with the pandemic moving many into a mobile or work-from-home situation. IMO, I would be astonished if KPMG did not have an enterprise data security system in place for email (mobile and computer access) and any other data or documentation access for work.

Here’s an overview of several enterprise off-the-shelf solutions focused on email (I do not know what KPMG uses, but, in my strong opinion, they use something, and perhaps a proprietary system):

The Top 11 Email Security Gateways | Expert Insights

My organization uses an enterprise data protection service that requires multi-factor authentication and a combination of PINs and passwords that individually must meet security requirements and have to be updated every 30-90 days. Work from stations and laptops are dedicated - they are not for personal use and you can only use verified encrypted mobile data sources with them. We use VPNs with separate access requirements. I have dedicated phone apps that require separate authentication to use if I need to access a work spreadsheet or document via a mobile device (which fortunately, is rare for me).

My organization requires that my iPhone login be a minimum of 9 digits updated every 30 days (and no reusing previous passcodes — it’s fun!).

IIRC, Alan worked in cloud computing solutions in healthcare, where cyber security precautions are likely stringent. We’ve all heard media reports of increased random ware attacks involving hospital systems, and a even a non-ransomware cyber intrusion involving healthcare-related data could involve costs running into the millions and even billions of dollars. I would have been more surprised (IMO) if his husband had access to his phone or workstation (and, although not the primary concern when Alan went missing, it would be considered a security breach if Rusty were able to access a device used for work purposes).

Most individuals in my organization can still make individual phone purchases and will receive individual phone bills that are provided by carriers, so Rusty may (IMO) have been trying to access online billing information for Alan’s phone, which, in my situation, would still show the timing for calls / texts received (no content info) and some location information. My partner has password information for that since we have a shared account. It sounds as though Rusty and Alan did not have a shared account — and that may be more a reflection of the cybersecurity precautions that would be mandated for Alan.

In my organization, dedicated work devices that do not involve individual billing are generally provided only for international travel and for those working directly in cyber security. Most enterprise systems will allow settings to be customized by the organization for individual users — so I, for instance, can maintain personal social media apps on my phone and post online at Websleuths in accordance with company policy. Others who routinely handle more sensitive information are not be allowed to do so. I can use Bluetooth on my phone. Others can not. I don’t know what KPMG’s policy is.

I thought it would be useful to provide some perspective from someone who works for a national organization that does work in the cyber security sphere (though that’s not my focus).

We all bring different experiences to the discussion. Mine is that I know many (seemingly) happily married couples who do not share mobile accounts or devices — or access to accounts and devices — due to the profession of one or both partners.
Those are all great points. I know when my father died, and I was trying to hack into his accounts since I was the executor, it was so crazy because if I was in one state versus another state the site would freak out and make me go through a bunch of hoops because it detected I was in a different place, and sometimes if I would forget the password, I would get locked out again and have to go through the process all over. Same thing would happen each time I used a different device like my phone versus my laptop. Sometimes I would have to get a code on my phone each time I tried to log in somewhere. For a lot of people, it's not as simple as one little password that they use for years. Like you said sometimes you have to change it every single month. There's no way a partner could keep up with all of that.

Last edited:
What I would like to see in case of emergencies is an agreement with each app and each phone provider that says if I'm missing for more than 2 hours please release my data immediately. This way people might be saved in hours rather than found dead 6 months later when the data comes in. Law enforcement would also be saved a lot of trouble. When signing up for a service each individual would check a box. It would be that easy. As a consumer I really really want this. I want people to be able to find me immediately! Why has no one done this?

[Snipped for focus] what really tipped things was the 2013 disclosures of mass surveillance. Apple started encrypting everything and began pressuring users (with varying levels of aggression) to secure their device with a passcode (made easier, in part, with biometrics, like Touch/Face ID). They can't decrypt your phone. LE can serve a warrant and Apple (or other phone makers) won't be able to unlock it. This came to a head in 2015, when the FBI wanted access to the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone, and Apple refused to create a new version that could let the FBI brute-force the passcode. The reasons for that (no backdoors or security holes) quickly get contentious, about thorny issues regarding terrorism, dissidents, human rights, etc. so I'll just stop there.

Those are all great points. I know when my father died, and I was trying to hack into his accounts since I was the executor, it was so crazy because if I was in one state versus another state the site would freak out and make me go through a bunch of hoops because it detected I was in a different place, and sometimes if I would forget the password, I would get locked out again and have to go through the process all over. Same thing would happen each time I used a different device like my phone versus my laptop. Sometimes I would have to get a code on my phone each time I tried to log in somewhere. For a lot of people, it's not as simple as one little password that they use for years. Like you said sometimes you have to change it every single month. There's no way a partner could keep up with all of that.

Opinion | I Needed to Save My Mother’s Memories. I Hacked Her Phone. (Published 2019)

This NYT article is pretty good, basically swapping the SIM card out so that one can reset the passcode, provided that you have the Apple account password to do this.

In the Jason Landry case (also in Texas), his father made the suggestion everyone should write down their passcode and put it in a sealed envelope, to be used for emergencies. They (the family and LE) have Jason's phone but can't unlock it and warrants for the social media app Snapchat can take up to 22 months.

This is what I don't understand. Why don't they have phone pings? Why don't they have pings showing where his phone was and when? Not released or not requested or what?
Having read the tea leaves in this case, I'm pretty sure there is some info out there that has been kept under wraps by LE and by family, and I'd think it likely that LE has phone pings by now. I'd imagine that if Tim White is correct that Alan White was murdered and his body dumped, then someone out there is running scared right now, particularly if they'd been communicating with Alan electronically, such as via an app.

Last edited:
Having read the tea leaves in this case, I'm pretty sure there is some info out there that has been kept under wraps by LE and by family, and I'd think it likely that LE has phone pings by now. I'd imagine that if Tim White is correct that Alan White was murdered and his body dumped, then someone out there is running scared right now, particularly if they'd been communicating with Alan electronically, such as via an app.

I agree that there in information LE has that they aren’t sharing, but based on what we know now, Alan being murdered by someone he was communicating with that morning seems very unlikely to me. By now LE has those numbers. Anyone with a legit number has been traced, talked to, investigated and ruled out. It’s possible they just don’t have enough evidence against a POI, but if that was the case, I think LE statements would be more focused. Remember, they’ve had the car for six months. Apparently it yielded no useful fingerprints or DNA.

The other possibility would be a burner phone. But do we think Alan was communicating at 6am with someone sketchy enough to be using only a burner phone? <modsnip> I’m just not feeling the early-rising murderous texting bad guy. IMO, however unlikely the accidental-murder-then-coverup scenario is, this one seems even more unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sense that I get from watching the surveillance footage of Alan on the morning in question is that he's not in a hurry at any point. He switches out his shirt after exiting the gym...but if he is driving straight home to shower and prepare for a zoom call, why bother? He stops for gas at a location other than normal and further out of his way. Yes, there was the issue with his usual location experiencing an incident, but even so, his drive to that particular gas station is out of the norm for him. Instead of hurriedly jumping in the car after gassing up, we see him going back inside...walking around....buying nothing...then casually getting in his car. He didn't pull straight out in the road towards home, having recognized the time was getting away from him and he should already be at the house by then. Instead he pulls through Church's dark parking lot, a place locals know isn't the best spot to linger. It feels like Alan was stalling for time, perhaps dreading the zoom call or waiting until someone with whom he is supposed to meet could arrive at a location being determined en route. In this case, Alan's phone would yield a lot of information.

Lastly, I have considered that Alan was stalling as he thought over self-harm options. Heartbreaking, if so.

Last edited:
You're Alan White. It is 6:01am. You've gotten in your morning workout, and just finished gassing up your loaner vehicle, paying by credit outside. Your obvious next move is to get into the Macan, make the short drive to the beautiful home you and your partner will soon flip, likely for a nice gain, and then get set for a 7am zoom call associated with the director level KPMG gig you've been at for like 8 months now. This seems to be the moment where things get hinky, where the routine gets broken, because you don't climb into the Macan. Instead, you enter the RaceTrac C-store. But you don't use the bathroom, nor do you make a purchase. You just seem to linger there.

Something's up. What in the world is it?

Are you a) frightened of something? Are you afraid to face the meeting, feeling inadequate, just can't bring yourself to deal with it, panicked, an emotional/psychological crisis, your mind distorting things, not sure what to do? Are you b) frightened of someone? Do you feel like someone has been tailing you? Had no choice but to stop for gas. Afraid to proceed, seeking safety in the C-store? And then you linger more in the lot next door, as if afraid to proceed. Or are you c) communicating with someone, either someone you know, or a stranger? If so, it would seem very likely that this someone knows how you wound up dead (and didn't get in touch with LE), very likely within an hour or so of having last communicated with you.

Last edited:
The sense that I get from watching the surveillance footage of Alan on the morning in question is that he's not in a hurry at any point. He switches out his shirt after exiting the gym....
You're thinking like me. One thing though, I don't think he changed shirts. I think his red top just appeared grey in one vid, probably black/white vs color.

I just really want them to get the car and use the Berla software on it if they have no other leads rather than waiting months on warrants. I wonder if that has ever been done on a loaner / rental car? Meaning one not belonging to the victim.

I have no idea what the Berla software might be. I'll google but if you want to explain, that's good, too!

I have no idea what the Berla software might be. I'll google but if you want to explain, that's good, too!
I’ll let my prior post on it work. But now I’d love to find cases of it being used on a rental/loaner car. The data is still there, it just whether the car could be obtained.
Found Deceased - TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #3

ETA- The software knows where the car stopped, the speed, impact, whether you had your seatbelt on and more. I would think it could tell where the car was when it stopped and possibly even information on who took the car. If they connected their phone with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB cord we could know who drove the car.

I agree that there in information LE has that they aren’t sharing, but based on what we know now, Alan being murdered by someone he was communicating with that morning seems very unlikely to me. By now LE has those numbers. Anyone with a legit number has been traced, talked to, investigated and ruled out. It’s possible they just don’t have enough evidence against a POI, but if that was the case, I think LE statements would be more focused. Remember, they’ve had the car for six months. Apparently it yielded no useful fingerprints or DNA.

The other possibility would be a burner phone. But do we think Alan was communicating at 6am with someone sketchy enough to be using only a burner phone? <modsnip> I’m just not feeling the early-rising murderous texting bad guy. IMO, however unlikely the accidental-murder-then-coverup scenario is, this one seems even more unlikely.

Oddly, based on what we know, I'm thinking it's more realistic than before, that Alan was in com with the very person that eventually (allegedly) murdered him.

If the person Alan was in com with that morning was being entirely dishonest about who they were (very common, unfortunately, even more common for those planning a crime), they likely used a throwaway phone and a fake name to boot, for whatever the reason was, for the meeting that morning.

I mean, his rental was ditched in a locally known dumping spot, and his body left in the woods not too far away. So yes, sadly I do think Alan may have been in com (and possibly entirely unknown to him) with someone sketchy enough to be using a burner at 6am, and sketchy enough to do both of those other things as well.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michelle177
Back