Found Deceased TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020 #2 *suspect commits suicide*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The full autopsy report is actually quite a lengthy report. That has not been released to the general public yet.
Just COD MOD. A single line.

Jan 19, 2021

HOUSTON – The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences has determined the cause of death of Alexis Leigh Robinault Sharkey was strangulation.

The office said the manner is homicide.

An autopsy report will be available after law enforcement concludes its case, according to officials.

Alexis Sharkey UPDATES: Social media influencer’s cause of death released

What is know for certain is that AS did not die by accident and place herself on the side of the road.

The ME has can complete a preliminary autopsy report very early but toxicology results for a criminal investigation typically take at about 6 weeks. More important is that authorities have the manner and cause of death at this time and the homicide investigation can continue and an arrest can be made.

MOO

Last edited:
If this happened in her apartment, getting her naked body to a car would have been taking a huge chance for getting caught. I’m surprised she wasn’t found in a blanket or coat or something.
Maybe she left her apartment and someone followed her? Well that doesn't make sense because then how would she have become undressed? This is such a weird case. I feel like I know pieces of what happened, but I can't put it all together... MOO.

My job requires me to file requests for autopsy and toxicology reports after a patient passes away, I’m betting law enforcement has had the toxicology reports for some time, they don’t take nearly as long to get back as an autopsy report does. Interesting that they had not said anything about a toxicology report or what the findings of it may have been, I feel if it was completely clear of illegal drugs they would’ve released that info by now. JMO

Respectfully, it sounds like your experience with toxicology is from a hygiene lab and not a crime lab. And not to say that hygiene labs don't have backlogs!

For suspicious deaths and/or homicide investigations, toxicology results from crime labs typically take about six weeks. The time factor is usually related to forensic drug confirmation, identification, quantitation. Unlike toxicology, the ME can complete a preliminary autopsy report within hours of examining the body.

Why Whitney Houston's Toxicology Report Will Take Months

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/faqs-toxicology-20150310.pdf

Last edited:
I've just joined this thread but one thing that stands out to me is the misunderstanding about how marriage changes your next of kin. I recommend readers check their own state statute to confirm the order of precedence. While you can write down any name you trust, state laws do have some provisions for who can legally act as a next of kin in certain situations.

The typical order for next of kin (for claiming the body of the deceased) is as follows:

Your next of kin is typically considered to be your closest relative by marriage or blood. If you're married, for example, your next of kin is usually your spouse or domestic partner, child over age 18, parent, sibling over age 18, and then a person named in the will as the executor.

In this case, TX recognized AS spouse as her next of kin to claim her body. However, TX statute also provides that AS mother could claim her daughter's body if the spouse does not act after 48 hours after notification. It's also possible that her husband authorized the release of AS's remains to her mother.

Actually, after looking up the statute, I find Texas very accommodating to parents of the deceased where under Texas law, a parent is entitled to file a wrongful death suit. In many states, this is an exclusive claim of the surviving spouse.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE CHAPTER 691. ANATOMICAL BOARD OF THE STATE OF TEXAS

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 71. WRONGFUL DEATH; SURVIVAL; INJURIES OCCURRING OUT OF STATE

What exactly did they change?

Under "Place of Death," it says "next to road."

Could that mean they believe she was killed in the same spot she was left or just that she was found there?

Likely that it’s the place they found her—the same principle as having the date of death be the day that a body is found.

Last edited:
What exactly did they change?

Under "Place of Death," it says "next to road."

Could that mean they believe she was killed in the same spot she was left or just that she was found there?

I believe what changed was the response to "cause of death pending" from yes to no, and "manner of death" was filled in as strangulation. Also, in my opinion, "place of death" is typically written as where the ME pronounced the victim deceased. In this case, on the side of the road.

The investigation is active -- this does not imply LE determined AS was physically strangled on the side of the road.

Found Deceased - TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020 #2

Sharkey’s mom told FOX 26 she didn’t think she’d get to see her daughter again, as one week turned into two with no ability to plan a funeral. Her husband, Thomas Sharkey, was listed as next of kin.

"As her husband, he would have primary custody of what determined what happened with her, and he had said all along that he was willing to let her come home," said Robinault.

Robinault wanted to bring her daughter home for a funeral in her hometown in Pennsylvania--Sharkey had only lived in Houston for about a year--but she couldn’t do anything without next of kin approval, and she says Tom stopped cooperating.

"It just was a very strange—I’d almost call it—fight to get her," said Robinault.

After two weeks with no action from Tom, the medical examiner changed next of kin custody to Lexi’s mom, and on Friday they finally had a viewing.

Mother of Alexis Sharkey describes fight to get custody of the Instagram influencer’s body

Sharkey’s mom told FOX 26 she didn’t think she’d get to see her daughter again, as one week turned into two with no ability to plan a funeral. Her husband, Thomas Sharkey, was listed as next of kin.

"As her husband, he would have primary custody of what determined what happened with her, and he had said all along that he was willing to let her come home," said Robinault.

Robinault wanted to bring her daughter home for a funeral in her hometown in Pennsylvania--Sharkey had only lived in Houston for about a year--but she couldn’t do anything without next of kin approval, and she says Tom stopped cooperating.

"It just was a very strange—I’d almost call it—fight to get her," said Robinault.

After two weeks with no action from Tom, the medical examiner changed next of kin custody to Lexi’s mom, and on Friday they finally had a viewing.

Mother of Alexis Sharkey describes fight to get custody of the Instagram influencer’s body
He stopped cooperating, does that mean he stopped communicating? Or they were exchanging words “fighting” via phone calls, emails? Fight brings to mind angry conversations or heated email exchanges.

I believe what changed was the response to "cause of death pending" from yes to no, and "manner of death" was filled in as strangulation. Also, in my opinion, "place of death" is typically written as where the ME pronounced the victim deceased. In this case, on the side of the road.

The investigation is active -- this does not imply LE determined AS was physically strangled on the side of the road.

Found Deceased - TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020 #2
Thank you. I thought something other than that had changed.

Yeah, I wondered if the "place of death" might just indicate where the body was found but I wasn't sure. It doesn't seem to be an area where someone would commit a murder. I wonder if investigators do know where she was killed.

The perpetrator did not make much of an effort to hide the body at all.

He stopped cooperating, does that mean he stopped communicating? Or they were exchanging words “fighting” via phone calls, emails? Fight brings to mind angry conversations or heated email exchanges.

It seems every report I've read citing information from the husband, reporters are quick to state that the interview was very strange, the husband almost incoherent to them, and/or the conversation ended abruptly. I believe his mental state probably very fragile at this time. I'm just glad that either by the husband's authorization or the state statute, AS's mother was able to claim her daughter's body and hold a viewing/memorial for her daughter.

MOO

Last edited:
You don't need to be strong or angry to strangle someone to death but considering the circumstantial evidence that accumulated in the media before the cause of death was released, it seems likely to have been the case.

I wouldn't have been surprised if her next of kin had claimed she was a Muslim who needed to be buried within one day.

Thank you. I thought something other than that had changed.

Yeah, I wondered if the "place of death" might just indicate where the body was found but I wasn't sure. It doesn't seem to be an area where someone would commit a murder. I wonder if investigators do know where she was killed.

The perpetrator did not make much of an effort to hide the body at all.
You might recall how Shan'ann Watts "place of death" similarly stated shallow grave, whereby based on the evidence, investigators alleged she was strangled in her bed at home. In other words, the report is written in the manner that the ME/Coroner can attest to it.

I've just joined this thread but one thing that stands out to me is the misunderstanding about how marriage changes your next of kin. I recommend readers check their own state statute to confirm the order of precedence. While you can write down any name you trust, state laws do have some provisions for who can legally act as a next of kin in certain situations.

The typical order for next of kin (for claiming the body of the deceased) is as follows:

Your next of kin is typically considered to be your closest relative by marriage or blood. If you're married, for example, your next of kin is usually your spouse or domestic partner, child over age 18, parent, sibling over age 18, and then a person named in the will as the executor.

In this case, TX recognized AS spouse as her next of kin to claim her body. However, TX statute also provides that AS mother could claim her daughter's body if the spouse does not act after 48 hours after notification. It's also possible that her husband authorized the release of AS's remains to her mother.

Actually, after looking up the statute, I find Texas very accommodating to parents of the deceased where under Texas law, a parent is entitled to file a wrongful death suit. In many states, this is an exclusive claim of the surviving spouse.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE CHAPTER 691. ANATOMICAL BOARD OF THE STATE OF TEXAS

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 71. WRONGFUL DEATH; SURVIVAL; INJURIES OCCURRING OUT OF STATE
I don't think the husband ever authorized the release of her remains to her mother. She said she waited a couple of weeks but he stopped cooperating. I don't think she went into detail about what it was he didn't agree to.

It's good to know the parents can file a wrongful death suit in this case.

You might recall how Shan'ann Watts "place of death" similarly stated shallow grave, whereby based on the evidence, investigators alleged she was strangled in her bed at home.
I don't think I ever noticed that but at least now I know what it means. In a homicide the place where the person died and the location they were found are often not the same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back