GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is interesting too:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/123220

"Stanley´s arrest warrant alleges that he and his cousins Kevin Snow, 22, and George Snow, 19, both of Salisbury, Massachusetts, drugged an elderly man in East Brandywine Township, Pennsylvania and scammed him for $22,000. It´s believed that the Snows may be operating in the area between southern Colorado and northern Texas."

Closer to home, I read about two young guys, black, I think, being arrested in Waco for car theft. They were from Dallas. Traveling with them was their elderly mother-in-law. Doesn't that sound strange? Where were these mens' wives? Now I can't find the story. Argh... It was in the Waco newspaper on line.

Here is an abstract of an article about sexual assaults of elderly victims.
Below the "bullet points" is the summary of the article. As I read more, I will post links and the information.

Offender Characteristics -
- motivated by anger
- a need for power or sadistic intent
- severe psychopathological processes

http://sax.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1/4/523

Sexual Assault of Older Women
Nathan L. Pollock, PhD

Clarke Institute of Psychiatry

The clinical records of five men who had sexually assaulted women aged 60 or over were compared to the records of seven men who had sexually assaulted younger victims. Details of childhood adjustment, psychiatric and criminal histories, psychiatric diagnosis, psychological assessment findings, and offence characteristics were examined to determine psychological and social factors specifically associated with the sexual assault of older women. The findings suggest that when victims are older women, the sexual assault is likely to be particularly brutal and largely motivated by anger, a need for power, or sadistic intent. Further, the gratuitous violence involved in the offences and clinical evidence of psychotic features, suggest more severe psychopathological processes in men who sexually assault older women than in those who assault younger victims. Implications for theory and clinical practice are discussed.

Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, Vol. 1, No. 4, 523-532 (1988)
DOI: 10.1177/107906328800100404

The robberies happened at night- she doesn't have exact dates because she thought she was imagining things so her memory of the time is fuzzy. But the way she tells the story is clear every time. I went to bed and had $X and the clock was there. The next day, I woke up and was going to pay for something and didn't have any cash- she got the money the day before. That very same day she says she had to be somewhere and went into the living room to see what time is was and noticed the clock missing when it had been there the day before. She told my brother and I the story at Christmas time and hadn't mentioned it a few weeks prior.

Concernedgdaughter ~
I was curious about your Grandmother obtaining money. Did she use an ATM, walk into the bank, get extra cash from a grocery store? I was wondering how the perp may have known that she had cash? The fact that she obtained cash, and that very night her home was burglarized, makes me wonder if the person observed her getting the money?

I hope your Grandmother is doing well. I have prayed for her and will continue to do so.

Concernd--While there's some good and timeless info on the site you linked to, I don't see anything specific more recent than 2006. I know you said there's another article, just wanted to throw that out there. Good info, though. Shocking what people will try to get away with.

There are reasons why I would prefer to not mention where she banks- don't want to give anyone ideas... He took her money from her purse when he stole the clock (she doesn't ever carry much cash) and then took what little cash she had in her purse the night he attacked her.

Thanks for your positive energy. It is hard to stop thinking about it- I want LE to catch whomever did this to her so bad...

That sounds like a very different MO but horrifying. I find it odd that the woman was not able to give any details. None? The article doesn't state that she's unable to speak or totally physically incapacitated. Could it be the trauma or could she be vision impaired?

FWIW, we keep being brought back around to anger and older white women and young black men. I think the findings of these studies are vital to finding this man.

There are reasons why I would prefer to not mention where she banks- don't want to give anyone ideas... He took her money from her purse when he stole the clock (she doesn't ever carry much cash) and then took what little cash she had in her purse the night he attacked her.

Thanks for your positive energy. It is hard to stop thinking about it- I want LE to catch whomever did this to her so bad...

Hi Concerndgdaughter~
I apologize if you thought I was asking for your gramas personal banking info. I did not make myself very clear. I will try again.......... :)

-Your grandmothers home was burglarized on the day she received cash. The perp took a clock as well as the cash. I wonder if the perp had already targeted your grandmother as the next victim of his assaults or if he saw her retrieving cash and then followed her home, and planned his burglary. If he saw your grma retrieve the money, there might be a video of people in the area where she was banking. For example, maybe he was a customer in the bank the day she got the money, maybe he was behind her in line at the grocery store when she got money, etc..... Some of the places I just mentioned might have video surveillance of her banking transaction. It will be important for LE to know the time line of the burglary. Meaning they need to know on the day she withdrew money, her home was burglarized. LE has probably already garnered this info but, I wanted to let you know my line of thinking.

Is there absolutely nothing in the news about the TSR? Four and a half weeks since the attack in Moody and no word about DNA results? I believe TM calculated that it took 16 days for confirmation after the unrelated Lubbock attack.

What exactly is the Governor's Task Force doing?

Who knows? Eating doughnuts? I wish we knew more. Maybe I will call the Ranger tomorrow and see if he has heard anything.

Is there absolutely nothing in the news about the TSR? Four and a half weeks since the attack in Moody and no word about DNA results? I believe TM calculated that it took 16 days for confirmation after the unrelated Lubbock attack.

What exactly is the Governor's Task Force doing?

Every single day, I google the pertinent words for this case and every single day, there is NOTHING new. Why is the local media not asking for info on the Moody assault? It absolutely boggles my mind! :furious:

I just sent off emails to Austin, Killeen & Waco news outlets asking for an update on the SR investigation...I'll write the Governor, DPS, etc next....it's pathetic they we are hearing nothing about what the Task Force is doing.

You know, Texas Mist, I'll get busy tomorrow and do the same. My mom lives in Central Texas and is 85. Even though she lives in a nursing home now, many of her friends still live in nice brick homes in Liberty Hill, go to Wal-mart, pay their water bill, hang out at the community center, and go to church. Somebody's got to speak up for these women and their families.

I think I'll also write to the AARP also and possibly the Ecumenical Ministries. If we think we're tired of waiting, imagine what it must feel like to be alone tonight. There would be very little quality of life if you were continuously on edge. It's just not right. I wonder what word on the street is in little towns. Are people up in arms or are they just bucking up like Texans so often do?

GAH!

I only recv'd *one* email response -- it was from KVUE & the "assignment manager" said they appreciated this being brought to their attention & will forward my request for updates on this case to a reporter...also said they will discuss this as a potential story idea @ a future editorial meeting. :banghead:

I wrote to the Texas AARP, the Governor's Task Force and to the Sheriff of Williamson County. I've got a few more emails to fire off today. All I got was a "form" letter response from the AARP.

What is it now--6 weeks?? I get this sickening feeling that the next time we'll hear anything is when there's been another rape.

I found an old thread from 2006 while looking for something else. Check this out:

90-year-old woman raped, strangled

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33526&highlight=mcnew

Some interesting possible similarities to our guy. Out of state, magazine salesman. Even looks a bit like the TSR is described. But he's behind bars.....right?

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-02-14/bay-area/17189414_1_robbery-burglary-counts-missouri

A traveling magazine salesman from Missouri was sentenced today to life in prison without the possibility of parole for raping and killing a 90-year-old Lafayette woman in her home in 2005.

Richard Craig McNew, 34, a convicted felon from St. Louis, will spend the rest of his life behind bars for murdering Anna Elizabeth Vuori, Judge Mary Ann O'Malley of Contra Costa County Superior Court said at a hearing in Martinez.

Vuori was bound and gagged in her Moraga Boulevard home, sexually assaulted and found smothered to death on Dec. 10, 2005. McNew, who worked for Overachievers, a Missouri magazine-subscription company, then took $18,000 in savings bonds and $200 in cash and Vuori's keys...."

more at link

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telecrushxx