TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered his apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“A Dallas police officer said he’s seeing increased hostility from Dallas citizens in the wake of the shooting death of Botham Jean by an off-duty DPD officer.

Sr. Cpl. Larry Bankston has been with DPD for 15 years and said the fallout from Amber Guyger’s actions is affecting how people feel about police officers. He said he’s had two people confront him in the past week – one a white man and another a black woman.

“He was like, ‘I don’t like police.’ Once again, I was like, ‘Man you don’t even know me.’ And he was like, ‘It doesn’t matter, you know. I don’t like police,’” Bankston said.”
Dallas officer seeing increased hostility from citizens in wake of Botham Jean shooting

Dish the dirt? Pretty please? With sprinkles on top.....

(I'm being perfectly serious!)

If not, then please give us a Texan perspective on the situation, "on the ground" there.

Thank you, Sir/Ma'am for your time and attention here, and for your Service there!

What I'm feeling in the Dallas area is that this time has really hit home for a lot of people that hadn't paid much attention in the past. They see that it could have been them. And I think it's shined a light on the brotherhood of PD protecting each other at all costs that so many really didn't believe existed.

My guess is very few there would believe the likely abusively wrong antics pulled by "honorable" prosecutors and "honorable" judges there either.

The abuse is rife and pandemic nationwide and has grown due to the people's ignorance of the increasingly more complicated laws and procedures

Most don't even review to then understand a statute for which they are charged and jailed, much less understand procedure sufficiently enough to know how things are supposed to be done.

This makes it very hard for one to tell and show another how and if they've truly been wronged, other than just feel it.

MONEY, and lots of it, is the only way some people ever get "fair and equal justice."

The system most likely is not cordial to defendants that attempt to righteously defend themselves.

Am I way off base here?

What I'm feeling in the Dallas area is that this time has really hit home for a lot of people that hadn't paid much attention in the past. They see that it could have been them. And I think it's shined a light on the brotherhood of PD protecting each other at all costs that so many really didn't believe existed.

“A Dallas police officer said he’s seeing increased hostility from Dallas citizens in the wake of the shooting death of Botham Jean by an off-duty DPD officer.

Sr. Cpl. Larry Bankston has been with DPD for 15 years and said the fallout from Amber Guyger’s actions is affecting how people feel about police officers. He said he’s had two people confront him in the past week – one a white man and another a black woman.

“He was like, ‘I don’t like police.’ Once again, I was like, ‘Man you don’t even know me.’ And he was like, ‘It doesn’t matter, you know. I don’t like police,’” Bankston said.”
Dallas officer seeing increased hostility from citizens in wake of Botham Jean shooting

It is not surprising to me. So many people will assess the behavior of a victim of a police shooting and automatically give the benefit of the doubt to the officer, identifying all kinds of exceptions and causal factors related to perceptions and choices of the officer. In these situations that call for quick response the balance often goes to the officer. Then, if the person who was shot has a past or some major flaw it is generally seen as understood that they bore some responsibility in their fate.

In this case, Mr. Jean was an everyman--the best of most of our selves. We all could be him at home minding our own business. And, dead in a minute.

The unfortunate aspect of the Mr. Jean killing and his profile is that we tend to miss that people who come into contact with police may not be as pristine as Mr. Jean and still don't deserve to die. It highlights that feeling of privilege, and hits the "There but for the grace of God, go I" reality that exists. A wake up call for some. Life as as usual for many.

The new warrants show investigators with the Dallas County District attorney’s office have been seeking additional video footage from surveillance cameras on townhomes across the street from the South Side Flats apartments where Jean and Guyger both lived.

Two of the warrants request doorbell video from two addresses on Arch Place. The warrants were served on “Ring,” a California-based company that provides doorbell security cameras systems.

A resident at one of the homes targeted in the search warrants told NBC 5 that investigators were looking for video showing Guyger and Jean’s apartments. The resident said the view from his camera is obstructed. Video of the area may be crucial evidence for investigators as they try to re-trace Guyger’s steps in the minutes leading up to the shooting.
New Search Warrants Returned in Botham Jean Death Investigation - St. Lucia Times News

Her Son Was Careful to Avoid Police Officers. Then He Was Killed by One.
He drove the speed limit. He kept his car in good repair. Instead of shorts or T-shirts, he wore Ralph Lauren dress shirts.

For years before he was fatally shot by a Dallas police officer who says she mistook him for a burglar in his own home, Botham Shem Jean had gone out of his way to avoid even routine encounters with the police, his mother, Allison Jean, said during a visit to New York City on Thursday with her lawyer, Lee Merritt.

Ms. Jean said her son had to explain life in America — where for black men in particular, a minor traffic stop can turn deadly — to his family back home on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia.

“I always told him, ‘Why do you have to be so dressy?’” Ms. Jean recalled in an interview. “He said ‘Mom, I don’t want to be stopped. I don’t want for them to think I’m somebody I’m not.’”
upload_2018-9-22_0-18-40.jpeg

After watching the video of Meritt and Ms. Jean; I really like his mother, she is quite regal and dignified.

Then I decided I would really like to see some past body and/or cam's of AG in action. I have zero doubt such videos exist from previous cases and are not protected. My belief is they would be very revealing.

So sad that he felt that way. How many other “Botham Jean”(s) are out there feeling the same way?
Many of the young people I work with feel the same. Their goal is to avoid the police at any cost. My school has safety officers that try to break the barrier but they can get traction. These kids feel too vulnerable, powerless, and disposable if they make a mistake, or, worse, if the officer makes a mistake.

Thank you!

I wonder how the "scuttlebutt" around the Dallas PD is going? I am pretty sure that there was a response, "that there is an investigation, and all employees are not allowed to comment on any active investigations..."blah, blah...

But, I don't see this situation as being too sympathetic. Racial issues aside. This is not a race issue (I hope). I am pretty sure no one supports her.

I wonder how the "scuttlebutt" around the Dallas PD is going? I am pretty sure that there was a response, "that there is an investigation, and all employees are not allowed to comment on any active investigations..."blah, blah...

But, I don't see this situation as being too sympathetic. Racial issues aside. This is not a race issue (I hope). I am pretty sure no one supports her.
Yeah, if only I could be a fly in their locker rooms.

Tonight is the first debate between Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke. This one is being held in Dallas, Texas.

The next question, to Cruz, addressed the shooting of Amber Guyger. Why did he caution people not to jump to conclusions?

“What happened was horrific… It was tragic. Now the officer as I understand it has contended it was a tragic mistake… She thought he was an intruder. Right now, today, I don’t know what happened that evening… But he (Beto) immediately called to fire the officer… We have a criminal justice system. … If she violated the law, she’ll face the consequences… But (O’Rourke) is ready to convict her. Ready to fire her. Over and over again…when faced with an issue of police and law enforcement, he (Beto) sides against the police… Just this week Congressman O’Rourke described law enforcement…as modern day Jim Crow. … That is offensive. Just today Fort Worth is burying Officer Garrett Hall…who was shot in the head risking his life.”

“I did not call police officers modern day Jim Crow,” Beto disputed. “My Uncle Raymond was a Sheriff’s deputy… He was the one who taught me to shoot. … But he also taught me what it means to serve everyone in a community, not just some people. The tragic shooting death of Botham Jean, you have another unarmed black man killed in this country by law enforcement… We’ve got to do something better than what we’ve been doing so far…”

He said we need bipartisan work together for real criminal justice reform, because something is wrong in the U.S.

Cruz said: “I’ve been to too many police funerals. I was here in Dallas when five police officers were gun downed because of …hateful rhetoric… That rhetoric does damage, it divides us on race and inflames hatred. We should bring people together… Turning people against the police I think is profoundly…”

But at this point, Beto told Cruz that he had misquoted him. “This is your trick… To confuse and incite based on fear…”
Cruz vs. Beto First Debate: Live Recap & Quotes | Heavy.com
More at link.

Thanks! This is taking much longer than I expected.

Moving down Powhatten St, to the building towards the back with the internal courtyard (not the pool)...

Capture_2018_09_21_23_24_17.png

Capture_2018_09_21_23_23_29_1.png

Capture_2018_09_21_23_21_38_1.png

Capture_2018_09_21_23_20_09_1.png

Capture_2018_09_21_23_16_38_1.png

It's getting really late for me.. I will add explanations later.

I will add where I think the neighbour was.
One resident who made several videos found on faebook stated clearly BSJ's windows faced the courtyard. Did anyone else catch that?
It has been very convenient for me... The newly released search warrant on Thursday was looking at townhomes at Arch Place.. If his windows face the courtyard, the Arch Place neighbour diagonally opposite Powhattan St would not have any clue. I have more confidence in my guesses now.

I should add footnotes to my previous post, but can't edit now:

Red circle: Bo's apartment
Purple circle: AG's apartment
Yellow circles: various other places - garage entry, staircase where rescue went down, the illustrative sign on the outside wall listing apartment numbers in that block

Re: Beto and Cruz. It's good that they are discussing and debating. The first step to change, acknowledging there is a problem. However, it seems to me that while well intended, they simply can't speak for those most impacted. We need other voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shannyp