TX TX - Brian Thomas Vargo, 20, Austin, 9 March 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought about that too. The parents have said that they thought he would eventually come back, and that maybe he left to "find himself". I wondered if maybe that's what he meant to do, to start over somewhere different and lead a different life but later met with foul play?

I thought about that too. The parents have said that they thought he would eventually come back, and that maybe he left to "find himself". I wondered if maybe that's what he meant to do, to start over somewhere different and lead a different life but later met with foul play?

He was using drugs, he was in trouble with the law, and he was flunking school. My guess is that he was depressed and that he just committed suicide that day and he is in the John Does.

April 29 2021
VIDEO at link. rbbm
APD seeks man reported missing 44 years after disappearing, niece says it’s time for closure | KXAN Austin
''Amanda Vargo Wattecamps, Vargo’s niece, held a news conference Thursday morning at Austin police headquarters to bring attention to the case. She said someone discouraged her grandmother from filing a missing persons report back in 1976, but the family wanted to do so now after all these decades.

“I can’t imagine what my grandmother has gone through, and it’s time she got closure,” Wattecamps said.

She said her family only found out this year that Vargo withdrew from UT Austin, where he attended the engineering program, prior to his disappearance.

“The circumstances are very iffy on whether he wanted to disappear or whether there was foul play,” Wattecamps said.

Vargo is described by police as:
  • White man
  • 6 feet tall
  • 150 pounds
  • Brown hair
    • Blue eyes
    Below are photos of him in 1976, the year we went missing, and a photo of what he could potentially look like now with age progression enhancements.

vargo.jpg

On the left is a photo of Brian Vargo in 1976. On the right is a photo of what Vargo could potentially look like today using age progression enhancements. (APD photo)
    Wattecamps told reporters it may not be likely her family will ever find where her uncle is now or what may have happened to him back then, but it’s still worth trying.''

Ooooh, I'm so happy to see that Brian's family is so actively looking for him. The age progession looks great. If he's still somewhere out there (and in this case it really looks like a real possibility), it could really help out.

Delafield Doe?

1766UMWI

There is a long thread here at WS on Delafield Doe. DD had upper missing teeth and Brian may have had the chipped tooth removed and replaced with a partial. DD was not circumcised, that may be enough for a rule out.

Is Brian's DNA in Namus? Thats a must this many years later. Praying for answers for Brian's family.

Hey sleuths!
I'm the relative making this happen. I can understand yalls confusion...but it has been 45 years. I wasn't alive when he was around and Brain's mom is 98.
You can find more info here
Searching for Brian Vargo

I am so glad there’s a thread created for Brian. I came across his missing persons info on The Charley Project site and spent a bit of time looking at the Searching for Brian fb page yesterday.
Prayers for his family, especially his mother...hoping there is some sort of answers for the family soon.

*Following his thread; I’ll try to take some more time to read more on the info that’s already been provided on the fb page and here on WS to catch up on the latest info/update.

Brian’s Background Info (COLLEGE)
•Brian was the typical U.T. Austin college boy entering fall of 1974.
•Brian and a friend he graduated with from Westchester HS, roomed together in the dorm, (The Castillon) fall ‘74 - Spring '75.
•Spring 1975, he made the dean’s list at the engineering college.
•Fall ‘75 (Brian's 2nd year, 1st semester) They moved across from Town Lake, Tinnin Ford apartments. They added a roommate.
•That semester Brian started doing poorly in school. A report card says he passed 9 out of 12 hours.
•At U.T. in January ‘76, he attended classes. But was not happy with his grades, so decided to withdraw.
•March 9 ‘76, his withdraw was approved.
•Brian states he would return to UT by Summer ‘76.
•The roommates say Brian didn't tell them he was going to withdrawal or had withdrawn.
•His parents believed he was at UT.

To Note:
This withdraw date was strategic in that if he withdrew before a certain date than his classes would be dropped and not retain the grade he had earned thus far. If he had withdrawn after the certain date the classes would still retain the grade he had earned, and would have to return under academic probation. The form for withdraw had to be signed by the dean of the engineering college.

Dates to Note:
•He worked at Safeway '73 - ‘74 on Memorial and Dairy Ashford at night as a stocker, which paid for a car.
•He went home to Houston for summer ‘75 and worked at Safeway.
•While home during the summer he was pulled over and booked in River Oaks, for 0-2 oz. of weed in late July.
•’75, Brian went home to Houston for Christmas.
•Brian went to Houston Jan 30- Feb 2 (we have bus tickets)
•March 9 ‘76, Brian withdrew from college
•Background check is clean, other than 1975.

•His social security earning statement from 1980 States “1951 thru 1976” he earned money, but none in 77, 78, 79.

Dates to Note:
•He worked at Safeway '73 - ‘74 on Memorial and Dairy Ashford at night as a stocker, which paid for a car.
•He went home to Houston for summer ‘75 and worked at Safeway.
•While home during the summer he was pulled over and booked in River Oaks, for 0-2 oz. of weed in late July.
•’75, Brian went home to Houston for Christmas.
•Brian went to Houston Jan 30- Feb 2 (we have bus tickets)
•March 9 ‘76, Brian withdrew from college
•Background check is clean, other than 1975.

•His social security earning statement from 1980 States “1951 thru 1976” he earned money, but none in 77, 78, 79.
No activity on a missing person's Social Security number is never a good sign. Even if he left "to find himself", wanting to distance himself from family, you'd think he'd still be working a few odd jobs at some point in the years following his disappearance in order to support himself. The best possible reason for the lack of social security activity would be the use of a forged identity so that no one could follow/find him.

I feel like this may be a bit far fetched, but as I was going through young white male UIDs from the late 70s I ran across the 6 still unidentified John Wayne Gacy victims. Several of his victims were picked up at the main Chicago bus station, and evidently Brian was last seen after being dropped off by his mother at Houston's bus station. Known non-Chicago area victims were from other locations in the midwest like Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kalamazoo. None of those identified have been from as far away as Texas, but that might be a key factor as to why they went unidentified in the first place. Most of those still unidentified were killed sometime between summer 1976 and summer 1977. That time period fits nicely if we are to assume Brain drifted around the country "to find himself" following his withdrawal from classes on March 9th, 1976 and knowing there was no activity on his Social Security number after 1976.

Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

Victim 28 - 954UMIL is definitely not Brain due to being killed before July 31st, 1975.

Victim 26 - 956UMIL doesn't seem likely due to missing the two upper front teeth and being 5'4". Likely killed between June 13th, 1976 and August 6th, 1976.

That leaves:
Victim 5 - 958UMIL doesn't seem to be the most likely due to having a key fob with the name "Greg" on it and being estimated as 22-32 years old. Likely killed between January 20th, 1976 and March 15th, 1977.

Victim 10's - 957UMIL reconstructions clearly show a broad facial structure, which doesn't seem to fit Brian. But, that's only my non-expert opinion. Possibly (listed as low confidence at the Cook County SO link) killed between March 15th, 1977 and July 5th, 1977.

Victim 13- 955UMIL Likely killed between August 6th, 1976 and October 5th, 1976

Victim 21- 962UMIL Likely killed between August 6th, 1976 and October 25th, 1976

APD seeks assistance with Missing Persons investigation | AustinTexas.gov

Case:   2021-5004726

Date:   March 9, 1976

Missing: Brian Thomas Vargo, White male, 21 years of age

The Austin Police Department Missing person’s Unit is requesting the community’s assistance with obtaining information regarding a case of a missing person that occurred on March 9, 1976 and was reported on February 2, 2021. Brian Vargo was a University of Texas at Austin Student who stopped attending school and traveled to Colorado in his vehicle. Vargo’s vehicle had a mechanical break down in Colorado. Vargo then traveled to Houston, Texas to pick up the vehicle's title. On an unknown day and time, Vargo’s mother dropped him off at the bus station in Houston. His family was later notified that Vargo did not return to his apartment located in Austin. When family arrived at his apartment, Vargo's wallet was found inside.

Brian Vargo is described as:

• White male
  • 6’00”
  • 150 lbs.
  • Brown hair
  • Hazel eyes
Picture of Vargo of in 1976 Picture of Vargo with Age progression
4e5fab54-0776-4ba1-aff7-7963c4fbb0cb.jpg
634e96e6-8242-440c-9f00-33b328add2cb.jpg

Detectives are asking anyone with information or video of this incident, or any information about Brian Vargo to call APD Missing persons at 512-974- 4123. You can also submit tips by downloading APD’s mobile app, Austin PD, free on iPhone and Android.

Was he injured before he went missing. Had he been in an accident at either the time of his arrest or when the car stopped working shortly before he disapoeared? Hopefully family members are on a DNA database. Does anyone know if passports were required to visit Mexico or Canada then. What places could he visit outside of the US without a passport in 1976?

Was he injured before he went missing. Had he been in an accident at either the time of his arrest or when the car stopped working shortly before he disapoeared? Hopefully family members are on a DNA database. Does anyone know if passports were required to visit Mexico or Canada then. What places could he visit outside of the US without a passport in 1976?

Not sure about Mexico, but we didn't need a passport to visit Canada until after 9-11

153355044_360233271969643_201810706939965391_n.jpg

The FB account dedicated to looking for Brian had this as an image.
I decided to look a bit or some info since the name on the card or whatever this is a Vargo name as well.

upload_2021-10-16_22-57-49.png
From a quick look at this, it appears that the black angus restaurant as a trading name, was active between 1978 to 1988. I also found an image from the place "Black Angus, Houston, at alabama and weslyn" Here.

Not sure if this means anything or if this item was even in the collection of stuff they had from Brian.
The place itself appeared to have been the Black Angus first then later became "the confederate house" (source). Then the state grille (?) It was demolished because the owner of the building did not want to renew the building masse and I think it is no longer ?

Long story short; The Black Angus appears to have been active from late 1978 to 1988. It could also be entirely irrelevant to the topic on hand if it is something belonging to someone else.

More random info from me. The facebook account, which I believe is ran by a woman who would be Brian's niece, there is an image of a document which shows the car's license plate number. It was recorded by a police officer in September 1975.

upload_2021-10-17_18-47-12.png

It says AEG-81. Which means the car, since it was in texas, is from 1965 or later, since that was the year they adapted the 3 letters- 2 numbers, system after their last system which contained 2 letters 2 numbers, depleted in combinations.

Where does one look for records of abandoned vehicles and property?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back