TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the investigation at the main plant location be looking at work-related documents, perhaps verifying if any manholes on the site were in active use the night of the disappearance, perhaps left open, etc.

jmo
I think I read that they had to drain the lift station in order to recover the remains, so I wonder if they suction it out through a large hose into a holding truck and it was taken to the main plant? If so, maybe they filtered that while unloading and found more of the remains?

Does anyone know the diameter of the pipes that feed into the lift station? Are they wide enough for a body to have travelled from a manhole to the lift station?

Edited to add I searched the above document and couldn’t find that info, though might have missed something.
There is an interactive map publicly available of all the wastewater mains in CC and it gives the size of each pipe.
There is one for storm manholes and other infrastructure as well.

This is so very sad.
IF this is Caleb (which it looks like will be confirmed soon)
and IF this was accidental (which it looks like will also be confirmed)
I will be really relieved there wasn’t anything more nefarious at play
and really relieved for his family that he can be laid to rest.
I think this will be the best possible outcome (kindest, gentlest for all of Caleb’s loved ones, for the citizens of CC, for current and prospective students at Texas A&M CC)
IMHO

This is so very sad.
IF this is Caleb (which it looks like will be confirmed soon)
and IF this was accidental (which it looks like will also be confirmed)
I will be really relieved there wasn’t anything more nefarious at play
and really relieved for his family that he can be laid to rest.
I think this will be the best possible outcome (kindest, gentlest for all of Caleb’s loved ones, for the citizens of CC, for current and prospective students at Texas A&M CC)
IMHO
We knew he was dead, no matter the scenario, so I do think accident is the easiest outcome to accept. I fear however that there are going to be many unanswered questions, and a lingering mystery as to how this occurred. So there's added pain in that, and in the possibility that this was not a quick death.

I just watched this news report, which has a reporter reporting from outside of the lift station. It provides a good look at the building and manhole covers.

Seeing this visual of the actual pump station is shocking to me. Right when I saw that gate I knew it was NOT secure. Look at that huge gap under the gate on both sides. Sure there is fencing and barbed wire on top but…. if I was going to try and get on the other side of that gate I’m going under it and not over it. JMO. But I wouldn’t think anyone would want to make their way in there.

Police say the body was in an advanced state of decomposition and identification will take time.

"Probably a month to six weeks depending on what they have available for forensics," said Chief Markle.

Randy Harris, Caleb's father, says he hopes and prays it is not his son. :(

"It's been pretty dry lately," said Chief Markle. "And with this tropical storm, I guess we got like seven inches of rain over the whole event. And that just kind of shook up the sewage system. And wherever that body may have been, it kind of flushed it out."

Police say there is no way to know right now if this was foul play or just a terrible accident. For now, we want for the medical examiner.

"At that time, we'll know whether to bring closure to existing cases or start a new case, of if there is foul play involved."

Corpus Christi Assistant Police Chief Todd Green said the body is undergoing an autopsy and it is possible we'll have a preliminary cause of death sooner than an identification.

I wonder how the ME determines whether CH stepped into the manhole (accident) or was put into the manhole (homicide). If this is Caleb, the worst outcome would be undetermined manner of death. MOO MOO MOO
I guess if there is an obvious sign of foul play on the body (gunshot wound, is bound etc.) that could not have occured by falling.

I'm guessing there's no CCTV around there either.

It's quite possible that misadventure, such as to get a photo, was involved. This certainly would not be an easy way to get rid of a body, especially if only one person was involved. My prediction is they won't find any evidence of foul play, whoever this may be.

It's quite possible that misadventure, such as to get a photo, was involved. This certainly would not be an easy way to get rid of a body, especially if only one person was involved. My prediction is they won't find any evidence of foul play, whoever this may be.
It does seem an extremely impractical way to get rid of a body, true.

It does seem an extremely impractical way to get rid of a body, true.
But also, is there a chance this perpetrator knew the searches were over and even lived locally? So knew when the best time would be to drop the body, as well as feeling reassured that by the time it was found, there would be little evidence left. Especially forensic or DNA evidence. The fact it’s so close to the house suggests someone has “staged” this to look like misadventure, after keeping tabs on when this search ended. A bit of a stretch maybe, and all MOO.

But also, is there a chance this perpetrator knew the searches were over and even lived locally? So knew when the best time would be to drop the body, as well as feeling reassured that by the time it was found, there would be little evidence left. Especially forensic or DNA evidence. The fact it’s so close to the house suggests someone has “staged” this to look like misadventure, after keeping tabs on when this search ended. A bit of a stretch maybe, and all MOO.
I think he stumbled into an open hole late at night when he couldn't see it. Once down the hole, he couldn't get out. Workers might have noticed the open access and later closed it, without realizing, of course, that someone was down there.

The investigation, imo, is determining where and when everything went wrong that lead to this happening.

My hunch is the body will yield little info about why he ended up where he did, but cameras, work schedule, technical info about the infrastructure etc will provide answers.

jmo

It’s possible. I sure hope law enforcement and forensics will have some way of determining if it’s natural accident or something more sinister. Whether Caleb or some other unfortunate individual, it needs to be determined.

Seeing this visual of the actual pump station is shocking to me. Right when I saw that gate I knew it was NOT secure. Look at that huge gap under the gate on both sides. Sure there is fencing and barbed wire on top but…. if I was going to try and get on the other side of that gate I’m going under it and not over it. JMO. But I wouldn’t think anyone would want to make their way in there.
That’s the question. If it’s Caleb, what was he doing there, how and why?

If accident:
What was he doing there? Especially barefoot.
Is the manhole big enough for someone to fall?
Did he fall on his own or did was he pushed by someone accidentally or on purpose?

If homicide:
When was the body placed there? Before Caleb was reported missing, during the searches or after they died down?
Why hide the body so close to where he was last seen?

SBM
Perhaps to make it look like an accident. Long shot, because it probably was an accident, but it still needs to be investigated because you never know.
Perhaps because the perpetrator couldn't be gone/missed without for very long which would cause suspicion. If he was put into the manhole, perhaps the smell from the manhole would confuse scent dogs and also if he was carried to the manhole, there would be no ground sent for dogs to track.
I can't come up with a single reason he would fall into an open manhole in the middle of a vacant field at 3 am without shoes. if it is him, I think he was put there. I wonder if a phone was found with the remains. That may rule him out more quickly, if it isn't his. MOO MOO MOO

There is an interactive map publicly available of all the wastewater mains in CC and it gives the size of each pipe.
There is one for storm manholes and other infrastructure as well.

The pipe flowing west (from The Cottages to lift station) says “pipe size: 15”

Water also flows from the other side towards the Lift station from a different pipe and “pipe size is 18”

Was last ping west of lift station near to Rodd Field street area?

From comments from LE does it sounds like the wastewater and storm water are managed together by same system then?

JUN 26, 2024
Corpus Christi Assistant Police Chief Todd Green said the body is undergoing an autopsy and it is possible we'll have a preliminary cause of death sooner than an identification.

The well, a wastewater collection point, is located near the off-campus apartment where Harris, 21, lived, outlets including the Beaumont Enterprise, San Antonio Express-News and Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported.
The well is also located near Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi, where Harris is a second-year student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr