TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow, Vail. So much of Caleb’s disappearance has seemed unlikely/improbable and yet- here’s another! wow

Slowpoke, I googled for more coverage of Noah Dewitt and found this article with a partial comment on your question above.

“City officials said there are only two ways for a person to enter the well: through a manhole or through internalized access — which officials say is unlikely because the building is gated and locked.”

Some dates for comparison:
Noah DeWitt was reported missing Feb 14.
His remains were recovered May 27th
He was ID’d on May 31st.
ID'd in 4 days. There goes the notion of waiting 6 weeks for DNA identification.

If Caleb's clothes were found near the remains then LE should have identified him. Sure, go ahead and run DNA but disclose the info about the clothing.

I feel for the family and respect their right to privacy, but they should not keeping LE on strings about the info.

ID'd in 4 days. There goes the notion of waiting 6 weeks for DNA identification.

If Caleb's clothes were found near the remains then LE should have identified him. Sure, go ahead and run DNA but disclose the info about the clothing.

I feel for the family and respect their right to privacy, but they should not keeping LE on strings about the info.
What do you think is causing such an extensive delay with the identification, whether to rule out or confirm Caleb?

What do you think is causing such an extensive delay with the identification, whether to rule out or confirm Caleb?
The delays by LE in this case are both frustrating and I believe unnecessary. The family and public have a right to know. As pointed out in a previous post, surely they would have found articles of clothing along with the remains in that wet well. We know what Caleb was wearing that night. If they found clothes that appeared to match what Caleb was wearing they should say so. If no clothes were recovered then mention that as well.

There has been no clarification by LE regarding a body being able to flow through a 15” pipe into the lift station. Is that possible? LE should make a statement as such. If that is highly unlikely, then the body being placed in the well or Caleb falling into it somehow would be the only way for the body to get where it was found. If it is possible to fall or deliberately enter into a manhole and the body end up in the lift station then say so. One more thing, they need to reveal if there was an open manhole in that area the night Caleb disappeared. These are questions that should have been addressed by now.

As we wait and speculate as to the identification of the remains, we can only hope that some answers to this mystery are forthcoming.

I speculated upthread that Caleb was assaulted by someone with access to the lift station. Whether utility workers or contractors have been interviewed, I don't know. But once the DNA confirms it is Caleb, I would think LE will turn their attention to that group. Because the incoming pipe diameter rules out even a torso being pushed into the lift station well. Moo

I wonder if they are waiting for all the results to be in before making any announcements: DNA, autopsy and toxicology. It may make sense for all this to be released together ?

The other thought is that perhaps if the determination ends up being death by misadventure, maybe only Caleb’s parents will be notified and no public notification will be made? I’m not sure how that is usually handled?

I know different jurisdictions handle these things differently. IMO.

I speculated upthread that Caleb was assaulted by someone with access to the lift station. Whether utility workers or contractors have been interviewed, I don't know. But once the DNA confirms it is Caleb, I would think LE will turn their attention to that group. Because the incoming pipe diameter rules out even a torso being pushed into the lift station well. Moo
That wouldn't be very smart to leave a body anywhere you had connections to.

LE has never confirmed the diameter of the pipes and/or how a body could end up in the lift station, so we actually don't know for a fact, well, much of anything.

I would assume they'd wait for all the standard results (some of which can take up to 6-8 weeks). Then the Coroner has to build a report, and decide whether it's apparent homicide, suicide, accident or unknown. If the Coroner cannot decide between the first 3 options, it will be listed as undetermined. Each tiny piece of a very large biological puzzle has to be put together.

It takes time. Just the wet lab procedures per slide or test take about 1 person's 8 hour day. Labs everywhere are backed up. There was a hurricane/tropical storm, IIRC, that hit the Corpus Christi area as well, IIRC.

Further, if it is ruled suicide or accident/misadventure, we may only learn that the body is Caleb's and not much else. I believe he's classified right now as a missing person, so they do have to take him off that list if he's been found.

The public has no right to know the details of someone's death. Even an open criminal investigation doesn't mean that we are entitled to details. This is true all across our 50 states and in many other parts of the world it's even more likely that the public will get no details.

The identification of Caleb, if it happens, should be part of a public report though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back