TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That makes some sense. I’m surprised manholes are so narrow, since they are obviously made for men to enter them.

They could be wider than I imagine.

This link says ...

A manhole is a term used to describe an access point to an underground utility or sewer system. Manholes are typically round in shape and range in diameter from three to six feet. They are equipped with a ladder or rungs that allow personnel to safely enter and exit the manhole.

From the exterior they look more narrow than 36 inches but I really have no experience (nor do I want to, eek!)
jmo

Here are some regs for Texas (I've bolded the diameter info but the remainder of the info is interesting as well)...

(h) Tunnels are exempt from manhole spacing requirements.

(i) A manhole must not be located in a stream bed or other area that prevents access to the manhole.

(j) The inside diameter of a manhole must be no less than 48 inches. A manhole diameter must be sufficient to allow personnel and equipment to enter, exit, and work in the manhole, and to allow proper joining of the collection system pipes in the manhole wall.

(k) Manholes must meet the following requirements for covers, inlets, and bases.

(1) Manhole Covers.

(A) A manhole where personnel entry is anticipated requires a clear opening with at least a 30 inch diameter.

(B) A manhole located within a 100-year flood plain must be gasketed and bolted down to prevent inflow.

(C) A manhole cover must be constructed of impervious material with no holes that could allow inflow.

(D) A manhole cover that is located in a roadway must meet or exceed the American Association of State Highways and Transportation Officials standard M-306 for load bearing.

(E) The engineering report must specify and the owner must follow an appropriate national reference standard for manhole gaskets.

(F) Manhole covers must be constructed of cast iron, steel, non-metallic composite material, fiberglass, or other material approved in writing by the executive director.

My thought was the remains were possibly lodged in an "elbow" (or something similar) turn of a pipe between the manhole and lift station. It was only when extensive flooding occurred that the remains were dislodged and pushed (or flushed) on into the lift station.

How his hips and/or shoulders fit into the manhole originally... I have no clue. 'Seems an awfully tight fit to me.

jmo
From the People mag article posted just upthread, bolding by me:

"Although police can't say for certain how he entered the manhole, which measured 25 inches wide and 15 feet deep, Breedlove says police do believe that the open manhole was Harris' point of access into the sewer system."

I think 25 inches is enough width for a head-first dive in, so to speak, but if, for example, a person stepped unaware into a 25-inch opening, I feel like automatic reaction would activate, with arms flailing, knees bending, etc., in which case it seems some part of the body might hook onto the edge of the manhole or even become hung up on one of the embedded rebar ladder rungs.

Truly, the physical mechanics here are a bit mystifying to me.

"Although police can't say for certain how he entered the manhole, which measured 25 inches wide and 15 feet deep, Breedlove says police do believe that the open manhole was Harris' point of access into the sewer system."

I think 25 inches is enough width for a head-first dive in, so to speak, but if, for example, a person stepped unaware into a 25-inch opening, I feel like automatic reaction would activate, with arms flailing, knees bending, etc., in which case it seems some part of the body might hook onto the edge of the manhole or even become hung up on one of the embedded rebar ladder rungs.

I agree. Very freakish thing to happen. I guess he could have hit his head and was unconscious with his limbs folding in on his torso... unless he was forced/placed into it?

So, so sad.

ETA: I wonder what technology Texas Equuseach used to find the child who was missing from swimming pool not too long ago. I wonder if that technology/tool could have helped or maybe it couldn't be used in this instance. I'm sorry I can't remember the child's name :(

They could be wider than I imagine.

This link says ...

A manhole is a term used to describe an access point to an underground utility or sewer system. Manholes are typically round in shape and range in diameter from three to six feet. They are equipped with a ladder or rungs that allow personnel to safely enter and exit the manhole.

From the exterior they look more narrow than 36 inches but I really have no experience (nor do I want to, eek!)
jmo
Yeah, I know what you mean. I don’t know why, though, it’s repeatedly been said that they’re 15” wide.

Oh, 25 inches makes more sense, yes.

How does someone walking, taking regular length strides get both feet into a 15 or 25 diameter hole at the same time with his arms tight to his sides so he would slide down inside?
The only thing I can figure is that it wouldn’t be as neat as that. Picture yourself walking and all of a sudden your foot steps into a big drop. You’d lose your balance and if it was wide enough, the rest of you’d begin to fall in. You might struggle to pull yourself back out and be unable to.

How does someone walking, taking regular length strides get both feet into a 15 or 25 diameter hole at the same time with his arms tight to his sides so he would slide down inside?
@10ofRods posted earlier that indeed people can and do fall through manholes and in many of these cases, victims can suffer serious injuries such as broken legs, ankle fractures, etc. as a result.

From the interview posted above with the Asst. Police chief Todd Green, they are waiting for the ME to announce the official cause and manner of death as well as the toxicology results. Most likely his death will be listed as "undetermined".

Based on this interview, I got the sense that they don't believe this was related to a homicide.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don’t know why, though, it’s repeatedly been said that they’re 15” wide.
There are manholes and there are pipes. It's my understanding that the pipe that brought water via gravity flow into the Perry Place lift station wet well chamber was either 10 or 15 inches in diameter. The outbound pipe, carrying the pumped-up and out water, is 18 inches in diameter.

The top opening of the manhole in the crop field, per the People mag article, is stated to have been 25 inches in diameter.

A lot to keep straight, for sure. Add to the list where the intake pipe may have made bends, etc., including at the bottom of the 15-foot-deep manhole, and it gets even more challenging to envision, IMO.

I just did a quick google search for "man falls into manhole" and was surprised by a few news videos... one in OK in 2017, another in VA in 2024, and another man in Halifax NS (while walking his dog in snow) in 2024. All survived. *Of note, the one in VA in 2024 seems rather suss on the surface (I didn't look for further details tho).

How his hips and/or shoulders fit into the manhole originally... I have no clue. 'Seems an awfully tight fit to me.

Although police can't say for certain how he entered the manhole, which measured 25 inches wide and 15 feet deep, Breedlove says police do believe that the open manhole was Harris' point of access into the sewer system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back