Deceased/Not Found TX - Candice Shields, 20, pregnant, Graham, 10 Dec 2011 *J. Thornburg guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder what they actually investigated in this case? Her boyfriend should have been thoroughly investigated IMO.

Happy birthday, Candice. Praying your mom finds you soon.

I was just thinking about Candice the other day. I too wonder how much investigating took place, and whether or not they thoroughly checked out her bf. even if he could move on from her so quickly, one would think the fact that she was pregnant with his child would have upset him. I always thought hey would have found her by now...

I just keep thinking about this poor, poor girl and how it seems that her disappearance was never taken seriously, never thoroughly investigated and that she's never been found. I check almost every day to see if there is any news of her.

It seems that her ex-boyfriend is now expecting to be a father again with his new girlfriend. Given what happened to Candice, I'd be very afraid if I were her of being taken for a midnight walk or drive.

I just keep thinking about this poor, poor girl and how it seems that her disappearance was never taken seriously, never thoroughly investigated and that she's never been found. I check almost every day to see if there is any news of her.

It seems that her ex-boyfriend is now expecting to be a father again with his new girlfriend. Given what happened to Candice, I'd be very afraid if I were her of being taken for a midnight walk or drive.

I also felt like LE never really took her disappearance seriously and that they probably missed things on this early on. At the time she went missing, just looking at her Facebook yielded at least 5 avenues that probably should've been thoroughly investigated. Maybe they were, but I have my doubts.
Totally agree about the bf's new gf too!

Why wasn't this investigated more? Is it because this is a small town and the funds aren't there? I am very confused. It's been 10 months now. Where is Candice?

Why wasn't this investigated more? Is it because this is a small town and the funds aren't there? I am very confused. It's been 10 months now. Where is Candice?

I always felt like Candice's past was a little "checkered", and that due to that, LE just treated her disappearance as if she was likely to have just taken off. I would have to look back, but what I remember specifically is that she did not have custody of her child but her Facebook was full of mentions of her wanting or trying to get him back. No judgement here at all, just what I always thought was behind the apparent lack of serious concern on LE's part.
FWIW, I always thought her disappearance was related to her pregnancy and that the night she disappeared that she was lured out to talk to someone. Eerily similar to Morgan Martin's case, with the exception that they know for sure MM left her house to talk with her bf.

I think you are absolutely correct - LE wanted to think that she'd walked off to start a new and didn't go hard after it because of her checkered past. Sadly, I think it will take a one-year anniversary of her disappearance for the case to get any sort of profile again.

There is one thing that has been troubling me. In the Missingvoices blog comments (which seems to be the only place that gets any traffic on this case except here) there is one comment which is placed in response to a post by the ex-BF's sister-in-law. The sister-in-law defends him (whilst stating that she hates him), claiming he was working all night at the time Candice disappeared and didn't own a car. In response there is post (timed March 2, 2012 9:40 PM) - it has a couple of expletives in it - saying that she shouldn't defend him 'because of what he did to her and the way he left her'. At the time of her disappearance, I thought JT and Candice were still together. Unless they weren't or the comment is referring to him having physically left town to work elsewhere, (or it is someone talking about JT's previous gf) then this suggests that the person who posted this knows something about an incident between JT and Candice.

I haven't seen any update or searches for you Candice but your in my prayers and thoughts always.I jumped on fb as soon as this case hit media i read all the post/rumors/and chat on Candice page IMO there was alot going on with the ex-baby's dad/family and there were twist and turns with her new relationship as well evolving his ex.She was in love with bf, she was pregnant,and she has a baby she loves why would she walk away?I cant understand the media interest in some and not others?

I always felt like Candice's past was a little "checkered", and that due to that, LE just treated her disappearance as if she was likely to have just taken off. I would have to look back, but what I remember specifically is that she did not have custody of her child but her Facebook was full of mentions of her wanting or trying to get him back. No judgement here at all, just what I always thought was behind the apparent lack of serious concern on LE's part.
FWIW, I always thought her disappearance was related to her pregnancy and that the night she disappeared that she was lured out to talk to someone. Eerily similar to Morgan Martin's case, with the exception that they know for sure MM left her house to talk with her bf.

I agree with you! Police sometimes get a little biased. It is frustrating. If she were alive, she would have had to had her baby by now and it would be hard for her to hide. Not saying that it doesn't happen but I don't think she left voluntary. I too think she was lured out. Her FB page told so much. I wish they would have put the pressure on a few of the people to see if they would tell the truth or slip up. That last call is so telling.

I agree with you! Police sometimes get a little biased. It is frustrating. If she were alive, she would have had to had her baby by now and it would be hard for her to hide. Not saying that it doesn't happen but I don't think she left voluntary. I too think she was lured out. Her FB page told so much. I wish they would have put the pressure on a few of the people to see if they would tell the truth or slip up. That last call is so telling. The only way I see this case getting any attention is if her body is discovered and even then I am not sure much would happen for Candice :(.

Just getting caught up on this case. I'm wondering if Grandpa checked on her just because....well, he's a grandpa and they often get up at night to answer Nature's call- kwim? (Hey, I'm married to a grandpa who is up and down like a yoyo all night :) )

I wonder if birth records have been checked for the month around her due date. (Although I do not think she is alive, sadly) I feel so very sorry for all the various children in this story. Hopefully, they all get some stability in their lives.

Bumping for Candice..There is no explanation that would be good enough or acceptable as to why there are no searches taking place/no media talking about Candice.There are two people missing her/unborn baby where is the massive media now? usually they go on and on about a missing pregnant mom,but not in this case.The baby should be born have they searched for a child even?IMO The only funny thing about this case is the fact jt has moved on expecting a new baby,and rumors about the baby dads ex girlfriend was questioned about all her threats and they believed her.Whats not funny is a missing young lady who is pregnant left home with absolutely nothing,and nobody is talking about her..

At a loss for Candice. I wish there was a victims advocate in her area that could ask the tough questions and organize and conduct searches. This would take money and our economy is tight now. I think looking into hospitals that Marycarney brought up is a good idea. I think it would have to be a family member because of HIPPA laws but maybe there is someone in the area could bug police into looking into it? Wish I could help this family get the answers. I believe it is hard because some of the family lives far away. I know Candice didn't plan to leave because she left so much of her personal stuff at her home. The theory she was lured out seems must logical. Police know who she last talked to that night, something we may never get to know. Something interesting I never noticed before from the above link is that Candice posted at 2 a.m. that she was looking for a car but a family member find that puzzling because she didn't have a license. Could someone else had posted that post on FB as Candice with a different cell phone? According to news links she left her cell phone in her room. Maybe she posted it despite not having a license. I wonder how one goes about getting their story aired on a show like Disappeared? That show goes into so much detail. I wonder how long a person has to be missing to be on that show? OK done posting thoughts for now. Here's to Candice finding a way home and getting justice!

Candice Shields' mother, who lives a couple hours away, has traveled back and forth in efforts to locate her daughter. mom is unable to find any logical explanation as to why her daughter would have left behind her cell phone, purse; which contained all of her identification including her brand new debit card..I myself cant understand why the LE would think a pregnant girl would run off with absolutely nothing? And she was in love with JT and having his baby you think she would just up and runaway from him to? what since would that make,absolutely none! I am trying to figure out who in that town to write and ask about Candice maybe if people start asking they will start looking..

NamUs Profile

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13761

Case Information
Status
Missing
First name
Candice
Middle name
Last name
Shields
Nickname/Alias
Date LKA
December 10, 2011 21:30
Date entered
01/28/2012
Age LKA
20 to years old
Age now
21 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Sex
Female
Height (inches)
63.0 to 65.0
Weight (pounds)
120.0 to 140.0

Have the investigators taken another look at this case? By now she would have had her baby, surely she would have went to a hospital and I wonder if any searches of hospitals could turn up anything provided she wasn't murdered before June.
JMO Hopefully somewhere new leads come up!

I emailed the newspaper,Graham leader,mineral wells..Asking them why there is no media about Candice at all not even updates or searches,I have no clue what they will say but if i continue to bug people from the area maybe someone will start talking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insanecobain
Back