TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #3 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While this is an old article, and a lot can happen between May and Sep..., IF he's still with his biological mom she might not want the father anywhere near her or her son.

Does anyone know the twin's name off the top of your head? A quick Google didn't come up with it. It just kept referring to his twin brother.

Gernon's twin had been returned to his biological mother who had been searching for her sons for "an extended amount of time.

Boy, 4, Abducted From Crib and Brutally Murdered Identified; Arrest Made: Police

The twin is Carter.
Texas woman caring for murdered Cash Gernon recalls kidnapping

I have also been checking weekly for any sort of update on where things stand with prosecution, how Cash's twin is doing, literally anything. Its a total blackout. zip zero nada - Why?

Dallas County court site shows this as the most recent entry:
B060
SET FOR DATE 011422 SET FOR TIME 0900 SET TYPE ANNO PASSED TO DATE ______
SET DISPOSITION CODE __ PASSED GENERALLY _ COMMENTS RESET_PER_ATTY________
STATES RECOMMENDATION __________________ KIOSK ___ REC NO 01 _

not sure how to interpret their docket but think this means he is up for a hearing on 1/14/22 at 9am

Dallas County | Online Record Search

Murder of Cash Gernon: Suspect found incompetent for trial | wfaa.com

Dallas man charged in death of 4-year-old Cash Gernon found incompetent to stand trial, officials say

The man charged with capital murder in the death of 4-year-old Cash Gernon has been found incompetent to stand trial by a Dallas County judge, according to officials.

Now, an attorney for Darriynn Brown says he has been placed on a waiting list to be transferred to a facility in Verno

Brown, who was 18 at the time of the alleged crime, was arrested and initially charged with kidnapping and theft in connection to the death of Gernon, after the 4-year-old was found dead in the 7500 block of Saddleridge by a passerby on May 15, 2021.

“I’ve talked to him numerous times. I’m still of the opinion that he’s incompetent and can’t assist in his defense,” Brown's criminal defense attorney Heath Harris explained.

Dallas police said surveillance video showed Brown carrying a sleeping Gernon from his bedroom hours before Gernon was found in a puddle of blood, with multiple stab wounds.

More at link above . . .

Last edited:
Murder of Cash Gernon: Suspect found incompetent for trial | wfaa.com

Dallas man charged in death of 4-year-old Cash Gernon found incompetent to stand trial, officials say

The man charged with capital murder in the death of 4-year-old Cash Gernon has been found incompetent to stand trial by a Dallas County judge, according to officials.

Now, an attorney for Darriynn Brown says he has been placed on a waiting list to be transferred to a facility in Vernon.

Brown, who was 18 at the time of the alleged crime, was arrested and initially charged with kidnapping and theft in connection to the death of Gernon, after the 4-year-old was found dead in the 7500 block of Saddleridge by a passerby on May 15, 2021.

“I’ve talked to him numerous times. I’m still of the opinion that he’s incompetent and can’t assist in his defense,” Brown's criminal defense attorney Heath Harris explained.

Dallas police said surveillance video showed Brown carrying a sleeping Gernon from his bedroom hours before Gernon was found in a puddle of blood, with multiple stab wounds.

More at link above . . .
Finally! More info on this case. Unfortunately it is not at all what I wanted to hear. You should have seen the expression on my face when I read the word 'incompetent'. *lets out a pent up breath*

I wonder how long he'll be at the 'facility'? I did a quick search for 'facility' in Vernon and came up with an inpatient psychiatric services facility, the North Texas State Hospital. I do not know for sure if this is the facility they are talking about in Vernon but it sure sounds like it.

North Texas State Hospital | Texas Health and Human Services

His defense maintained that Brown was hallucinating and in a trancelike state at the time of the murder and also suffers from other major depressive disorders. The prosecution also brought in its own medical experts and also concluded that Brown is incompetent to stand trial.

Heath Harris: He can finally, now get the help that he needs so that he can assist us in his representation. [...] Maybe someday we can get to the facts of this case that we believe are going to show that he does have a mental defect that potentially led to this tragedy and that he may be entitled to an insanity defense.

He will be transferred to Vernon psychiatric hospital once a bed opens up. (I think that might be the place I referred to above in post #48. I can't find anything with the exact title that they state in the video (Vernon psychiatric hospital).

Man accused of murdering Dallas 4-year-old Cash Gernon found incompetent to stand trial

Last edited:
More info from "North Texas Help" site.

Hospital inpatient settings involve an overnight or longer stay in a psychiatric hospital or psychiatric unit of a general hospital. The facility can be privately owned or public (government-operated). Inpatient hospitals provide treatment to more severely ill mental health patients, usually for less than 30 days. A person admitted to an inpatient setting might be in the acute phase of a mental illness and need help around the clock. Typically, a person who requires long-term care would be transferred to another facility or a different setting within a psychiatric hospital after 30 days of inpatient treatment.

More at: Types of Mental Health Treatment Settings and Levels of Care | North Texas Help

I’m sorry, but I will not accept that no one will be be held accountable for this childs murder! If Brown is incompetent to stand trial, who deemed him competent to be in society? Do you need to murder someone before anyone notices signs of mental illness???? There is a long trail of failings in this scenario, and Cash paid the price. I call BS on this. Moo

Makes me sad that legal criminal justice is - for now thwarted. That is a hard pill to swallow. I think of little Carter often. How close he came to also being killed. How he must miss his brother.

But I have believed pretty much from day one that the accused is indeed one sick (mentally) one. I am no Dr. or attorney but to me - it seems obvious.

I don't know the answers.

I’m sorry, but I will not accept that no one will be be held accountable for this childs murder! If Brown is incompetent to stand trial, who deemed him competent to be in society? Do you need to murder someone before anyone notices signs of mental illness???? There is a long trail of failings in this scenario, and Cash paid the price. I call BS on this. Moo

More and more that's where we are. Apparently individual personal freedom trumps societal safety in the realms of crime and mental illness.

idk about tx but in ca they medicate them until they are competent and send them back to court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back