TX- Cheri Akil, 39, Prison inmate, punched pregnant medical worker's stomach causing loss of the baby, John Peter Smith Hospital, 12 April 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
FORT WORTH (CBSNewsTexas) - Prison inmate Cheri Akil, 39, faces a murder charge after punching a pregnant medical worker's stomach, causing her to lose the baby, the Tarrant County Sheriff's Office said.

akil.jpg
Cheri Akil, 39TARRANT ''COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
The assault happened on April 12 at John Peter Smith Hospital. Akil was arrested two days before for credit card or debit card abuse.

Police said Akil was restrained due to her suicidal tendencies. While the medical worker was standing next to her bed, police said Akil hit her.

The victim went to the JPS Trauma Unit for treatment where an ultrasound was performed. It showed her unborn child no longer had a pulse.

Court records show Akil was previously arrested for driving while intoxicated, intent to operate a game room violation, and assault causing bodily injury.

The Tarrant County Sheriff wasn't available for an interview on April 18 about what happened. But his office said the restraints used on Akil were put on by JPS staff.

"At JPS Health Network, the safety and wellness of our team members is our top priority," said Jessica Virnoche, the executive director of communications for the JPS Health Network, in a statement. "JPS takes Workplace Violence incidents very seriously and has processes in place to assess and address environmental risks. Due to individual and patient privacy rules, JPS is not in a position to provide any additional information about this incident at this time."

Akil is currently in a secure area of the hospital until she's booked into the Tarrant County Jail.''

''A series of arrests over the span of a week in and around Fort Worth, Texas tells the story of a life spiraling dangerously out of control.''

''What began on April 10 as a credit or debit card abuse case against 39-year-old Cheri Aziza Akil allegedly escalated just two days later to driving while intoxicated, suicidal ideation, and punching a pregnant hospital staffer with such force that the woman lost her unborn baby. Days after that, a longstanding methamphetamine possession case appears to have put Akil in renewed legal jeopardy in Taylor County after the alleged attack, Tarrant County Jail records indicate.''

''Akil, whose Facebook page identifies her as a “stay-at-home parent,” was allegedly being restrained in bed by hospital staff when she punched the hospital employee. After the punch, hospital staff discovered that the pregnant woman’s unborn child no longer had a pulse.''

''In June 2021, the judge who accepted the meth possession guilty plea found Akil to be mentally competent.''

How horrible. Speaking from experience, this is every pregnant nurse's worst nightmare when it comes to interacting with an unruly patient. While she may not have intentionally meant for the medical worker to lose her child, that was the cost of her unnecessary, violent actions and she needs to pay the price for them. This makes me incredibly upset...

So was she restrained or not? Maybe in the process of being restrained?
I agree she needs to be held accountable for her actions but I worry that if she wasn't fully or properly restrained she could use that to her advantage.

How horrible. Speaking from experience, this is every pregnant nurse's worst nightmare when it comes to interacting with an unruly patient. While she may not have intentionally meant for the medical worker to lose her child, that was the cost of her unnecessary, violent actions and she needs to pay the price for them. This makes me incredibly upset...
Seriously. I had friends who had significant injuries from patients, one who required multiple surgeries on her wrist. Luckily when I was pregnant and working on the unit the patients were more curious than anything else. JPS was my first inpatient psych job and it was pretty intense even 25 years ago!

In what other situation is Person A's interaction with Person B deemed criminal or not depending on Person C's decisions?

I can't make sense of the recent history - has she been charged with murder of the unborn baby or not?

''Apr 18, 2023
Prison inmate Cheri Akil, 39, faces a murder charge after punching a pregnant medical worker's stomach, causing her to lose the baby.''

''A homicide charge tied to the death of a fetus is a rare but not totally uncommon application of murder statutes in Texas, Lowthorp said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back