TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am a member of Andy's family in North Carolina and would like to add some additional coverage on Cheryl & Andy's murder.

This is a link to
Questions my family is asking and not getting good answers on. Very frustrating.

I will second, third and fourth time agree with you ---- ATG in North Carolina. Justice is due for Cheryl & Andy!!

I am a member of Andy's family in North Carolina and would like to add some additional coverage on Cheryl & Andy's murder.

This is a link to

I will second, third and fourth time agree with you ---- ATG in North Carolina. Justice is due for Cheryl & Andy!!

I didn't see a link. Welcome.

welcome-wreath2.gif
@ATG1220 to WS & this personal thread!

You might want to check out "verified" posters thread:

Verified Professional and Insider Members

That way you don't have to post links to articles when you post something that is not in MSM (Main Stream Media).

We know he committed at least one rape three months before the murders.

I know rapists sometimes will escalate their violence, but it seems like a huge escalation from the rape to what he did to Andy and Cheryl.

Do we believe someone that sadistic and violent suddenly stopped committing crimes? I don’t. How has his DNA not been connected to other rapes or murders since or before? I can’t believe the woman was his first rape victim, he had his vile routine down pat.

What about how he switched MO’s? He went from raping a woman alone in an apartment using a gun as a weapon, to abducting a couple from their car and brutally murdering them using a knife as a weapon. He robbed the first rape victim but left $20 by Cheryl’s body and Andy was found with money on him.

Maybe Rocky is correct, another person involved in the murders could explain the vast differences.

A sorrowful welcome to you, @ATG1220.

I’m watching your video now. So very sad, I can’t imagine. I’m so sorry for your loss.

When Andy and Cheryl were murdered is when (in my young life) I realized that murder is NOT something that only happens to other people. Their murders had such a huge impact on everyone in our community. I can’t believe their murders are still unsolved. Nobody who is local has forgotten them or will ever forget them. We pray for justice for Andy and Cheryl and a conviction.

I heard the Criminality podcast today. On it, Atkinson’s father Garland ( an interesting guy) claimed that Cheryl had been working as a “ stripper”. If true, this is a bit of a bombshell because the other victim linked to the same DNA was also an “ exotic dance” and it is likely that she was targeted where she worked.

I have always assumed that Andy and Cheryl were victims of a “ lovers lane” assailant and they were just wrong place/wrong time. If someone who had become infatuated with her from the club where she worked, had been stalking her, they must have spent a long time doing it. This should have become the focus of the investigation.

Assuming that this information is correct, it raises the question of whether or not Cheryl’s parents gave the police accurate information about her “ employment” history. The general public does not need to know embarrassing facts about a crime victim’s live but the police do.

We know he committed at least one rape three months before the murders.

I know rapists sometimes will escalate their violence, but it seems like a huge escalation from the rape to what he did to Andy and Cheryl.

Do we believe someone that sadistic and violent suddenly stopped committing crimes? I don’t. How has his DNA not been connected to other rapes or murders since or before? I can’t believe the woman was his first rape victim, he had his vile routine down pat.

What about how he switched MO’s? He went from raping a woman alone in an apartment using a gun as a weapon, to abducting a couple from their car and brutally murdering them using a knife as a weapon. He robbed the first rape victim but left $20 by Cheryl’s body and Andy was found with money on him.

Maybe Rocky is correct, another person involved in the murders could explain the vast differences.

A sorrowful welcome to you, @ATG1220.

Interesting posts by people. These are just my views but I think it could just have been one offender who was very good at controlling crime scenes. My view is that he alternated between rape and murder throughout his criminal career and the 'answer' lays with the sick sense of 'humour' he showed with the posing of the crime scene. It truly is a vile crime and there can be no doubting that.

I heard the Criminality podcast today. On it, Atkinson’s father Garland ( an interesting guy) claimed that Cheryl had been working as a “ stripper”. If true, this is a bit of a bombshell because the other victim linked to the same DNA was also an “ exotic dance” and it is likely that she was targeted where she worked.

I have always assumed that Andy and Cheryl were victims of a “ lovers lane” assailant and they were just wrong place/wrong time. If someone who had become infatuated with her from the club where she worked, had been stalking her, they must have spent a long time doing it. This should have become the focus of the investigation.

Assuming that this information is correct, it raises the question of whether or not Cheryl’s parents gave the police accurate information about her “ employment” history. The general public does not need to know embarrassing facts about a crime victim’s live but the police do.
This is not a bombshell at all. Is it believable that Andy’s father withheld this information for 29 years and decided to drop it on a recent podcast?

Cheryl’s folks have been open about the fact that Cheryl had previously worked at a strip club for a short time.

The strip club connection has been talked about here. Of course the police know about it.

Why is “employment” in quotation marks? Working at a strip club is employment, not a dirty word. Nor embarrassing.

Last edited:

Cheryl worked in a strip joint as a waitress, not as a stripper.
If I remember right, she had quit before the murders had taken place.
I agree that this was wrong place at the wrong time.
A while back, there was discussion about the possibility that someone may have been waiting for them to show up where they were murdered. I posted the weather conditions on the night they were murdered, and it had rained. My thoughts were that nobody would be lying in wait for them or anyone else to show up due to being eaten alive from mosquitos. After listening to Andys father explain how his arms turned black from mosquitos when he arrived, my thoughts are reinforced.
Edit:
Just to add. There was a golf club with blood laying on the ground that belonged to Andy.
I was wondering if perhaps Andy had been chipping golf balls at the time they were accosted.
I'm not so sure I still question this and again, it's due to the heavy presence of mosquitos.

Here's my post regarding the golf club.
It's from page 25, post # 481.

Mocity:
I read this entire blog, and there has been discussion on the golf clubs.
Questions as to whether Cheryl and Andy may have been attacked in the car with them before they were lead out into the woods.
I know that LE doesn't give all of the details, but I did read that one of your thoughts was that they were out of the car hitting Golf Balls at the time they were ambushed.
I have a few questions.
Did your sister go barefoot a lot? we know her shoes/sneakers were found inside of the car, so, do you think she would have got out of the car barefoot, if they were hitting Golf Balls?
Was that area lit well enough to see what they were hitting, if they in fact were hitting Golf Balls?
My other question is... Did they ever find your Step-Sisters clothes?

Snipped from post #498 page 25.

2) The weather. There were thunderstorms before Andy and Cheryl left the club from 6:40 that night til 10:00 PM. I don't think many people would hang around in the woods during a night of thunderstorms, getting soaked and eaten alive by mosquitos on a chance.

Post #489 page 25.
Garland mentions the knots used on the rope.
We discussed the rope as well.
HPD knows the answer to this.
In fact, after listening to Garland, I believe HPD knows a lot more than what they are leading everyone to believe.

I'd like to know the thickness of the Hemp rope used to tie Cheryl and Andy up.
Hemp is known for it's strength, although it's not as common as it once was. For marine use it's not all that great because it rots fast when wet.
I know Tree cutters and construction workers use thick Hemp rope, say about an inch thick or more.
Thinner Hemp could be used to tie things down in the back of a pick up truck.
Just throwing out thoughts.

I agree that this was wrong place at the wrong time.
A while back, there was discussion about the possibility that someone may have been waiting for them to show up where they were murdered. I posted the weather conditions on the night they were murdered, and it had rained. My thoughts were that nobody would be lying in wait for them or anyone else to show up due to being eaten alive from mosquitos. After listening to Andys father explain how his arms turned black from mosquitos when he arrived, my thoughts are reinforced.
Edit:
Just to add. There was a golf club with blood laying on the ground that belonged to Andy.
I was wondering if perhaps Andy had been chipping golf balls at the time they were accosted.
I'm not so sure I still question this and again, it's due to the heavy presence of mosquitos.

Interesting we are all of course posting theories at the moment although based on our research and knowledge of the case. Mine would be the offender followed them from the club. Was it in the days prior to CCTV. I base this really on the fact if I remember right the rape victim also worked in a club and the offender knew details about her and her boyfriend. He could have got details from her flat but my feeling is he stalked the victims after frequenting the clubs but I could be wrong. Cheers.

ATG1220.
Thank you for posting the link to the podcast.
I can understand Garland and any other family members frustration.
Lynda asks what can anyone do to move this along?
This.
Please pass this on to Garland.
Mocity, and any other family member is a victim in this case in regards to sexual assault.
And victims have rights in the state of Tx.
This is the statute.
Scroll down and read article 56.021.
Please pay close attention to section 2 and 3 Subsection a,b, and c.
I'll suggest any requests be made in writing, so there's a record.
Where as Cheryl was sexually assaulted, It may be Mocitys family that has to submit this request.

Snipped:
(2) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding the status of any analysis being performed of any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(3) if requested, the right to be notified:

(A) at the time a request is submitted to a crime laboratory to process and analyze any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(B) at the time of the submission of a request to compare any biological evidence collected during the investigation of the offense with DNA profiles maintained in a state or federal DNA database; and

(C) of the results of the comparison described by Paragraph (B), unless disclosing the results would interfere with the investigation or prosecution of the offense, in which event the victim, guardian, or relative shall be informed of the estimated date on which those results are expected to be disclosed;

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 56. RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS

Last edited:
Interesting we are all of course posting theories at the moment although based on our research and knowledge of the case. Mine would be the offender followed them from the club. Was it in the days prior to CCTV. I base this really on the fact if I remember right the rape victim also worked in a club and the offender knew details about her and her boyfriend. He could have got details from her flat but my feeling is he stalked the victims after frequenting the clubs but I could be wrong. Cheers.
I agree with everything you posted.
If the rape victim's boyfriend visited his gf at the strip club, this rapist could have sat beside him, and struck up a conversation with the bf. He must have known the bf/pilot would be out of town when he raped her, and in conversation the bf could have said something as simple as " I can't drink too much tonight. I have a flight tomorrow. I'm heading to England" etc.
As far as Cheryl's concerned, either that $20.00 was in reference to a strippers tip, or he may have thought that Cheryl/Andy took his 20 bucks off the bar he was sitting at, got mad, and followed them. That wouldn't make as much sense though, being a twenty dollar bill, unless he bought drinks and got change for a hundred, or a fifty dollar bill.
I still wonder if Cheryl, Andy, her sister and her date sat at the bar, or at a table at the club.
Either way, I agree with you that they were followed from the club.

Last edited:

RSBM Correct. She was a waitress for a short time and it was over a year before her murder.

I thought it might be helpful for everyone to see the area where they were found, just to get some perspective. I put together some before and after pictures.

For what it’s worth, this has always been a very nice area. The surrounding neighborhoods were/are middle/upper class.

This is what it looked like in 1990. These pictures were taken from a police helicopter. Andy’s car was found parked in this cul-de-sac.
ndnchw.jpg

Cheryl and Andy’s bodies were found along this tree line. Andy’s golf balls and club were taken from his trunk and lined up leading to Cheryl’s body.
2d7twfq.jpg

This is the cul-de-sac in 1988. A lot of nothing. Bramblewood was the closest subdivision to the right.

t6dx51.jpg

Google earth view of the parking lot/old cul-de-sac today.
2a8fdhf.jpg

Another view from today. The closest interstate is I10 to the north.
f09mdh.jpg

Missing Pieces: Police using new technology to help solve 'Lovers Lane murders'

The Houston Stalker– Part 2. Killer

Edit: Eek, I’m sorry the pictures are so enormous. I can’t resize them right now.

Last edited:
I thought it might be helpful for everyone to see the area where they were found, just to get some perspective. I put together some before and after pictures.

For what it’s worth, this has always been a very nice area. The surrounding neighborhoods were/are middle/upper class.

This is what it looked like in 1990. These pictures were taken from a police helicopter. Andy’s car was found parked in this cul-de-sac.
ndnchw.jpg

Cheryl and Andy’s bodies were found along this tree line. Andy’s golf balls and club were taken from his trunk and lined up leading to Cheryl’s body.
2d7twfq.jpg

This is the cul-de-sac in 1988. A lot of nothing. Bramblewood was the closest subdivision to the right.

t6dx51.jpg

Google earth view of the parking lot/old cul-de-sac today.
2a8fdhf.jpg

Another view from today. The closest interstate is I10 to the north.
f09mdh.jpg

Missing Pieces: Police using new technology to help solve 'Lovers Lane murders'

The Houston Stalker– Part 2. Killer

Edit: Eek, I’m sorry the pictures are so enormous. I can’t resize them right now.
Just to add:
The area where Andy parked was not the so called "Lovers Lane" where everyone hung out to party.
It was down the street some, in the cul-de-sac.
This is another reason I don't believe anyone was lying in wait. The chances of someone knowing they'd park there instead of the party spot would have been slim imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back