TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Let me ask you a hypothetical question....
Let's say for example there have been a series of bank robberies in your neighborhood and LE thinks it's someone that lives nearby the bank doing the robbing. Do you think it would be okay for LE to walk into everyone's house and start looking through drawers for stolen money without a warrant?
If not, then why not? If the crime was solved that way, would you approve? Would you be a bank robber if you didn't let them in?
What about installing micro chips in everyone's body that track movement? That way, the government would be able to put the guilty person at the scene of the crime. Would it make you a rapist or a killer if you said no to that?
While I am all out for getting the bad guy, submitting DNA by force/coercion is a violation of your 4th amendment right, and personally, I'm not willing to give up my rights.

BBM...
Amen to that. The Supreme Court would never uphold a law like that. Besides, can you just imagine the mischief the U.S. Government (especially two two political parties) would do with a law like that?

I am all for rights but DNA is not a home search you leave DNA all over the place everyday without thought if it is left in public where you have no reasonable expectation of privacy its 100 percent legal its how some investigators solve cold cases has nothing to do with coming in your home unless you have something to hide in the way of DNA. I'm a die hard don't tread on me kinda person and I got no problem giving DNA

I am all for rights but DNA is not a home search you leave DNA all over the place everyday without thought if it is left in public where you have no reasonable expectation of privacy its 100 percent legal its how some investigators solve cold cases has nothing to do with coming in your home unless you have something to hide in the way of DNA. I'm a die hard don't tread on me kinda person and I got no problem giving DNA.

I am all for rights but DNA is not a home search you leave DNA all over the place everyday without thought if it is left in public where you have no reasonable expectation of privacy its 100 percent legal its how some investigators solve cold cases has nothing to do with coming in your home unless you have something to hide in the way of DNA. I'm a die hard don't tread on me kinda person and I got no problem giving DNA
You can't be for rights if you think it's okay for someone to collect a DNA sample from you directly without a warrant, and in order to get a warrant, you need probable cause. It's against your 4th amendment right. Are you saying your rights should be protected only sometimes, depending on the circumstances?
You are wrong to think that just because you are in public that you don't have an expectation of privacy. A cop can't just walk up to you on a sidewalk and search you without probable cause. The same holds true for searching your car. The same 4th amendment applies in those cases too.
Yes, it's legal for cops to collect your DNA from a coffee cup that's in the trash can. That's because once you toss the cup in the trash, it's no longer your possession, however, it's not legal to collect it from your person without consent or a warrant. LE uses the collected DNA from the coffee cup as probable cause to obtain a warrant.
I'm a "don't tread on me" kinda person too, so the way I look at it, don't tread on my rights. That way of thinking went out the window in 1945.

sounds like you should be a criminal defense lawyer. I'm not here to argue with you that solves nothing. I'm sorry you feel the need to destroy hopes of families obviously you've never been touched by crime semper fi and God bless

what podcast is morf on? is it true crime garage I only ask so I can listen to his version of the case and see where he was overdoing it
Have you read this thread? You will find out all the information you need to know. I don’t know the name of his podcast, it’s nothing well known, but someone posted it here and I forced myself to listen to it after reading the criticism. It’s been discussed here.

sounds like you should be a criminal defense lawyer. I'm not here to argue with you that solves nothing. I'm sorry you feel the need to destroy hopes of families obviously you've never been touched by crime semper fi and God bless
I'm not arguing at all. I was just explaining that what you posted was incorrect. You do have constitutional rights to privacy in public.
Semper Fi? Does this mean you are/were a Marine? If so, with all due respect, it's a shame you are not willing to defend the constitution in which you swore an oath to defend.

Somebody trampled all over the rights of this young couple and i truly hope DNA (or a vital tip) will soon nail the son-of-a-gun who did it! imo.
Re post.
Aug. 21, 2019
850x0.jpg

Houston Police Department

''Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson

Murdered on Wednesday, August 22, 1990, in the 1300 block of Enclave Round

Known as the “Lover's Lane Case,” Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson were last seen at Bayou Mama’s Nightclub around 10:45 p.m. The next day, neither one reported to work, so a missing person’s report was filed. A Sysco Food Security Guard spotted Atkinson’s abandoned vehicle in the 1300 block of Enclave Round, part of an undeveloped business park. Officers found Henry’s nude body on the property, while Atkinson’s body was later found not far from the body of Henry. They both were brutally murdered.

850x0.jpg
Houston Police Department
Years later, in August 2001, a DNA profile from a sexual assault matched the DNA evidence from the Lover’s Lane Case. The victim of the 2001 sexual assault provided detectives with a sketch of the possible suspect. Anyone with information about this murder is urged to contact the HPD Cold Case Squad at 713-308-3618 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477).''

I was unfamiliar with these murders until today. I'm still catching up but it didn't take long to realize this case deserves all the media coverage possible with the best investigative reporters in the business. To say justice and fairness is long overdue is such an understatement I almost refrain from saying it. Family members should never have to endure this.

ETA: Last I heard the FBI is also withholding evidence in the Austin TX "yogurt shop" murders from 1991. Is this years of Texas lab testing problems??

Last edited:
I was unfamiliar with these murders until today. I'm still catching up but it didn't take long to realize this case deserves all the media coverage possible with the best investigative reporters in the business. To say justice and fairness is long overdue is such an understatement I almost refrain from saying it. Family members should never have to endure this.

ETA: Last I heard the FBI is also withholding evidence in the Austin TX "yogurt shop" murders from 1991. Is this years of Texas lab testing problems??

Hi :) Thanks for being here, @fred&edna.

Here is a link to the new media thread for you to review as well:

TX - Cheryl Henry & Andy Atkinson, Houston, 21 Aug 1990, MEDIA/MAPS/TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION *

Heres is a handwriting comparison between the anonymous letter writer in this case,and a person that i think may have written the anonymous letter. The anon. letter writer will be called writer "H", and the person who i think may have wrote it will be called writer "Z". See if you think both writers are the same.

Who do you think wrote the note? It does look very similar to the original note writer.

30 years ago today, Cheryl and Andy were murdered.
Let's hope whoever is responsible is soon brought to justice.
RIP.

upload_2020-8-21_20-35-6.jpeg
For Cheryl and Andy-We have not forgotten you.

30 years ago you were both brutally murdered by a savage(s) and taken from this world.

We will continue forward in the fight for answers and your justice.

I have read through this entire thread. I'm new here. Let me preface this by saying that I am from the area and I'm about the same age as the victims. I familiar with the location as I also partied in that area in the late 80's. I had some thoughts. At one point, I considered whether the killer could have hidden in the back of the car at the club and as they got in, held a gun on them and forced them to drive to the Enclave. Looking at a picture of the car, it seems unlikely because it's pretty small, but not impossible. I'm only bringing that idea up because I haven't seen it mentioned as a possibility before. It is probably more likely that they were just out there to make out and the killer came upon them, whether from following them from the club or as a crime of opportunity. I remember from my partying days that because it was so secluded and empty, it was very obvious when there was someone else around and we were always worried about getting caught doing whatever it is we went out there to do, so we kind of kept an eye out. At the time, there were just a bunch of empty streets and NOT a lot of trees. This was not a dense thicket they were parking in. In fact, they had to walk a bit of a ways to get to the tree line. So, even if they were making out with music on, I would think that it would be more difficult to sneak up on them.

Next, my armchair psychology profile of the killer: the overkill throat cutting of Andy speaks to me of rage, the 3 (?) lighter slashes on Cheryl speak to me of indecision or like he was working up the courage to make the kill cut. Especially if this was his first actual murder? My feeling of the timeline would be that there was one perpetrator, he had a gun AND a knife, he forced them out of the car at gun point, walked them to the tree line, had Cheryl tie up Andy, led Cheryl away, raped and killed her, came back and killed Andy all hopped up on adrenalin. What is interesting to me is that he wanted Cheryl to be found but also covered her with boards, almost as if he was ashamed of what he had done and didn't want to look at it. Then, covered with blood, he goes back to the car, leans on the seat rest to pop the trunk or reach in the back(getting blood on it), takes out the golf club and balls, (getting blood on them), and lines them up pointing to Cheryl so that she is found. I think the balloons were already there and probably just caught up in the trees at some earlier date and he may have arranged them to further point to Cheryl. I'm not sure about the twenty dollar bill. Could be a red herring, could be to show disdain, could have just fallen out of her bra. I'm not convinced Cheryl having worked at Rick's briefly as a waitress over a year before is even relevant. It's tempting to try to connect all three victims through strip clubs but that may be pure coincidence. Texas being Texas, strip clubs are everywhere and I'm sure everyone knows someone or has some connection to them.

As for the previous rape case, the fact that he was already in the boyfriend's house could explain him knowing the boyfriend's name. He could have known the boyfriend and was surprised by the rape victim while trying to rob the place or he could have seen the name of the boyfriend on his mail. The fishnets over his face could have been something he pulled on when he was surprised by the victim being there. They might have been left by the victim in the house at a previous date. Not sure he would have planned to use fishnets. But, yes, fishnets would not have been unusual in the goth/punk scene at the time, as well as being something a stripper might wear.

I have read through this entire thread. I'm new here. Let me preface this by saying that I am from the area and I'm about the same age as the victims. I familiar with the location as I also partied in that area in the late 80's. I had some thoughts. At one point, I considered whether the killer could have hidden in the back of the car at the club and as they got in, held a gun on them and forced them to drive to the Enclave. Looking at a picture of the car, it seems unlikely because it's pretty small, but not impossible. I'm only bringing that idea up because I haven't seen it mentioned as a possibility before. It is probably more likely that they were just out there to make out and the killer came upon them, whether from following them from the club or as a crime of opportunity. I remember from my partying days that because it was so secluded and empty, it was very obvious when there was someone else around and we were always worried about getting caught doing whatever it is we went out there to do, so we kind of kept an eye out. At the time, there were just a bunch of empty streets and NOT a lot of trees. This was not a dense thicket they were parking in. In fact, they had to walk a bit of a ways to get to the tree line. So, even if they were making out with music on, I would think that it would be more difficult to sneak up on them.

Next, my armchair psychology profile of the killer: the overkill throat cutting of Andy speaks to me of rage, the 3 (?) lighter slashes on Cheryl speak to me of indecision or like he was working up the courage to make the kill cut. Especially if this was his first actual murder? My feeling of the timeline would be that there was one perpetrator, he had a gun AND a knife, he forced them out of the car at gun point, walked them to the tree line, had Cheryl tie up Andy, led Cheryl away, raped and killed her, came back and killed Andy all hopped up on adrenalin. What is interesting to me is that he wanted Cheryl to be found but also covered her with boards, almost as if he was ashamed of what he had done and didn't want to look at it. Then, covered with blood, he goes back to the car, leans on the seat rest to pop the trunk or reach in the back(getting blood on it), takes out the golf club and balls, (getting blood on them), and lines them up pointing to Cheryl so that she is found. I think the balloons were already there and probably just caught up in the trees at some earlier date and he may have arranged them to further point to Cheryl. I'm not sure about the twenty dollar bill. Could be a red herring, could be to show disdain, could have just fallen out of her bra. I'm not convinced Cheryl having worked at Rick's briefly as a waitress over a year before is even relevant. It's tempting to try to connect all three victims through strip clubs but that may be pure coincidence. Texas being Texas, strip clubs are everywhere and I'm sure everyone knows someone or has some connection to them.

As for the previous rape case, the fact that he was already in the boyfriend's house could explain him knowing the boyfriend's name. He could have known the boyfriend and was surprised by the rape victim while trying to rob the place or he could have seen the name of the boyfriend on his mail. The fishnets over his face could have been something he pulled on when he was surprised by the victim being there. They might have been left by the victim in the house at a previous date. Not sure he would have planned to use fishnets. But, yes, fishnets would not have been unusual in the goth/punk scene at the time, as well as being something a stripper might wear.
Welcome. I like your post. It all makes sense to me.
Having read the entire thread, I'm sure you know that they weren't murdered at "Lovers Lane" but down the street some. A lot of people get that confused, but to me anyway, it reduced the chance that someone was at "Lovers Lane" lying in wait, and is an important point to make in regards to the events leading up to how may have been killed.
That's a good point you made in regards to someone in the back seat, and I think you are right.... nobody has brought that up. Of course nobody knows yet, however to me, if that happened, I ask myself why the seat would be reclined and why the tape player playing music if someone else was in the car talking and telling them what to do? The ripped off sun visor tells me that Cheryl was forced out of the car from someone standing outside and not told to exit from someone sitting in the back seat. I haven't looked at the car recently, but, if it was a 2 door, I doubt whoever would have been in the back seat would have exited the car with Cheryl still in the front seat, but maybe I am wrong.
I think they were laying down with the seat reclined, and someone drove up with their lights off and that's why they didn't see anyone. I'm not convinced that he/they weren't impersonating a cop yet either, and yes I too believe there was a gun involved along with the knife.
You may be right as to Cheryl tying up Andy and then Cheryl being led away from Andy, but I keep asking myself... If that's what happened, then why did the tracking dogs go straight to Cheryl? I would think they would have tracked to Andy first if everyone walked away from the car together. That's always been a big question to me because if the dog tracked from the car and just tracked to Cheryl, that sways me more to believe there were more than one person involved. One took Cheryl one way, and the other took Andy another way.
Just my opinion.... I doubt with Cheryl being covered with boards that anyone wanted her found. I think that's all spin on Detective Shorten's part. She never mentioned the fact that Cheryl was covered with boards, just that the golf balls and club were somehow lined up pointing in Cheryl's direction, and to her that was a sign whoever did this wanted her found. I'm not so sure about that. Andy may have decided to chip a few before the murder IMO.
The balloons were half deflated. IMO, they were there for while before the murders took place.

Once again, thank you for your post. I hope you continue to give us your thoughts.

There are some indications that this was more than a random Lovers Lane killing. Cheryl and Andy did have ties to the Strip Club industry in Houston as did the other rape victim. At this point, however, that avenue of investigation has been pretty well spent. DNA, via Genetic Genealogy seems the best and probably the way to move forward with this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric
Back