TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are things that LE agencies are not obligated to share with the family. However, there are also things that, by law, they must share with victims, and in this case, MoCity, her parents, and her brothers and sisters are "victims."
Below I'll post a list of things they must share, in the state of Tx. if requested.
There's a lot of good information throughout, but, if you want to get to the specific information that addresses DNA testing, scroll down to 56.021.
CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 56. RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS

There are things that LE agencies are not obligated to share with the family. However, there are also things that, by law, they must share with victims, and in this case, MoCity, her parents, and her brothers and sisters are "victims."
Below I'll post a list of things they must share, in the state of Tx. if requested.
There's a lot of good information throughout, but, if you want to get to the specific information that addresses DNA testing, scroll down to 56.021.
Thank you all for your love and compassion about wanting to help get this case solved! We need so much help and are at such a loss right now. We are all broken hearted, frustrated and downright pissed off that we cannot get any help or support to get this case and the evidence sent to Parabon and in the hands of CeeCee Moore. Garland and I believe Cheryls family as well have been in personal contact with her and she wants the case. She was recently interviewed and asked if there was any cold case out there that she wanted to get her hands on and Andy and Cheryls case was one of the top cases she wants. It is frustrating to also know that Paul Holes wanted to work this case and contacted Houston PD only to be turned away! Please keep sharing their case and contact anyone you can think that will help! I have personally written to Dr Phil 8 times to get his help on this case. I believe it is going to take a media firestorm for the Houston PD to have enough pressure on them to do the right thing and give Cheryl and Andy the justice they deserve.

Thanks so much from bottom of my heart and my family! Andy is my husbands cousin but they were more like brothers growing up! Our son, Tucker Andrew was named after Andy and we are amazed at how much he reminds us both of Andy. He and Cheryl were both loved so much. They were both young and beautiful and had their whole lives ahead of them. They were robbed and so were we. Our families have lived for 30 years with a huge hole in our hearts! We need Justice for Andy & Cheryl! It is beyond time for Houston Police to do the right thing and provide us with answers and the truth! Help us make that happen! I know Cheryls family @mocity and I welcome the support and help! You can reach me here or course and by email at angelatgodwin@gmail.com.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart! I have worked behind the scenes with the evidence we have and have reviewed this composite sketch over and over and even reviewed it against names of people that were mentioned early on as persons of interest! I found some very compelling similarities and it makes me sick to my stomach to know that we could have answers bc as Paul Holes started and Cee Cee this is a solvable case! The families of a murdered child and family member should have rights to due process if they do not feel they are getting it with the current investigative team! I hope this is something to push for with Andy & Cheryls case taking the lead!

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your love and compassion about wanting to help get this case solved! We need so much help and are at such a loss right now. We are all broken hearted, frustrated and downright pissed off that we cannot get any help or support to get this case and the evidence sent to Parabon and in the hands of CeeCee Moore. Garland and I believe Cheryls family as well have been in personal contact with her and she wants the case. She was recently interviewed and asked if there was any cold case out there that she wanted to get her hands on and Andy and Cheryls case was one of the top cases she wants. It is frustrating to also know that Paul Holes wanted to work this case and contacted Houston PD only to be turned away! Please keep sharing their case and contact anyone you can think that will help! I have personally written to Dr Phil 8 times to get his help on this case. I believe it is going to take a media firestorm for the Houston PD to have enough pressure on them to do the right thing and give Cheryl and Andy the justice they deserve.

Thanks so much from bottom of my heart and my family! Andy is my husbands cousin but they were more like brothers growing up! Our son, Tucker Andrew was named after Andy and we are amazed at how much he reminds us both of Andy. He and Cheryl were both loved so much. They were both young and beautiful and had their whole lives ahead of them. They were robbed and so were we. Our families have lived for 30 years with a huge hole in our hearts! We need Justice for Andy & Cheryl! It is beyond time for Houston Police to do the right thing and provide us with answers and the truth! Help us make that happen! I know Cheryls family @mocity and I welcome the support and help! You can reach me here or course and by email at angelatgodwin@gmail.com.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart! I have worked behind the scenes with the evidence we have and have reviewed this composite sketch over and over and even reviewed it against names of people that were mentioned early on as persons of interest! I found some very compelling similarities and it makes me sick to my stomach to know that we could have answers bc as Paul Holes started and Cee Cee this is a solvable case! The families of a murdered child and family member should have rights to due process if they do not feel they are getting it with the current investigative team! I hope this is something to push for with Andy & Cheryls case taking the lead!

Thanks again!

Thanks again!
Sorry, but this will be a long post.
I can't speak for everyone, but I want you to know that I'm happy to help anyway I can in my limited capacity.
First, with the risk of sounding harsh, I suggest you forget Dr. Phil. Why? Because IMO, Dr. Phil is in the business of exploiting people for ratings, period. This story is not finished, and I doubt Dr. Phil is willing to spend time and money in legal fees in order to get his story. That's why IMO, you haven't heard back from him. Setting aside that Dr. Phil is not a Dr. due to the fact that he lost his license to practice, if he was a real Dr. and really cared about people, he wouldn't have stormed the hospital that Brittney Spears occupied when she had her breakdown, offering to help her, then telling the entire world what her medical condition was. What Dr. would do that? He wanted the story to boost his ratings.
I do agree with the media firestorm, however, IMO, you'd have better results starting with a local news channel "investigative team", but, there are things that should be done first to cover all the bases.
You quoted my post regarding victim's rights. Not only are Cheryl's family "victims" but Andy's family is too. Article 56.021 states that close relatives are victims as well, so your husband should qualify as a "victim".

Art. 56.021. RIGHTS OF VICTIM OF SEXUAL ASSAULT OR ABUSE, INDECENT ASSAULT, STALKING, OR TRAFFICKING. (a) In addition to the rights enumerated in Article 56.02, if the offense is a sexual assault, the victim, guardian of a victim, or close relative of a deceased victim is entitled to the following rights within the criminal justice system:

(1) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense, unless disclosing the information would interfere with the investigation or prosecution of the offense, in which event the victim, guardian, or relative shall be informed of the estimated date on which that information is expected to be disclosed;

(2) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding the status of any analysis being performed of any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(3) if requested, the right to be notified:

(A) at the time a request is submitted to a crime laboratory to process and analyze any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

Please pay attention to ....
Subsection (1). By law, HPD is not required to disclose detailed information, however, they are required to inform the victims "the estimated date on which that information is expected to be disclosed." This means evidence, and in this case the evidence is the DNA.
Subsection (2) Very important. Subsection (3) (A).. Very important.
These are your rights under the law. These are not suggestions that the HPD can toss aside and only disclose if they feel like it, but here's the catch.
You must request these rights, and my suggestion is to request them in writing. You can draft this request and send to the lead detective in this case via Email, then call them and tell them , not the detectives but a watch commander in homicide (get his/her name) and tell them the email is sent. Then ask when you can expect a reply.
At this point in time, I'd suggest all communication is done in writing. That way, not only is it documented, but it will keep anyone from getting heated, and trust me, at this point I'd be heated. I'd be well beyond talking by now.

Step 2.
I'm not sure how long by law they have to respond to your email, however, if it's the same amount of time as a FOIA request, it's 10 days.
If you get no response, or get the run around, IMO you should contact the AG. This is very important.
Why? Because if this goes to the media, AG's are elected officials, and the last thing they want is to have the sun shining on them in a negative way. Explain in writing (then call) that the HPD is in violation of the law, and ask when this will be resolved.

Step 3. Contact the media. However, wait til you've done all the above first. That way, You've covered all the bases.

As I've stated in the past, I'm willing to help anyway I can, however, I can't do this part in regards to the requests. I am not a victim.
I am willing to help with a petition. I'm willing to contact the media for you and get the ball rolling there, if need be. I think we can get many signatures from this website alone, if allowed, however, I believe if the steps above are followed, there may be no need for that.

The goal is to get the DNA evidence out of the hands of HPD, and and into the hands of Parabon.
I can only imagine how frustrating this must be, but, don't give up. You may not know it, but you have many that are supporting you and your efforts.
Thank you for the post and the update.

I can't speak for everyone, but I want you to know that I'm happy to help anyway I can in my limited capacity.
First, with the risk of sounding harsh, I suggest you forget Dr. Phil. Why? Because IMO, Dr. Phil is in the business of exploiting people for ratings, period. This story is not finished, and I doubt Dr. Phil is willing to spend time and money in legal fees in order to get his story. That's why IMO, you haven't heard back from him. Setting aside that Dr. Phil is not a Dr. due to the fact that he lost his license to practice, if he was a real Dr. and really cared about people, he wouldn't have stormed the hospital that Brittney Spears occupied when she had her breakdown, offering to help her, then telling the entire world what her medical condition was. What Dr. would do that? He wanted the story to boost his ratings.
I do agree with the media firestorm, however, IMO, you'd have better results starting with a local news channel "investigative team", but, there are things that should be done first to cover all the bases.
You quoted my post regarding victim's rights. Not only are Cheryl's family "victims" but Andy's family is too. Article 56.021 states that close relatives are victims as well, so your husband should qualify as a "victim".

Art. 56.021. RIGHTS OF VICTIM OF SEXUAL ASSAULT OR ABUSE, INDECENT ASSAULT, STALKING, OR TRAFFICKING. (a) In addition to the rights enumerated in Article 56.02, if the offense is a sexual assault, the victim, guardian of a victim, or close relative of a deceased victim is entitled to the following rights within the criminal justice system:

(1) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense, unless disclosing the information would interfere with the investigation or prosecution of the offense, in which event the victim, guardian, or relative shall be informed of the estimated date on which that information is expected to be disclosed;

(2) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding the status of any analysis being performed of any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(A) at the time a request is submitted to a crime laboratory to process and analyze any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

Subsection (1). By law, HPD is not required to disclose detailed information, however, they are required to inform the victims "the estimated date on which that information is expected to be disclosed." This means evidence, and in this case the evidence is the DNA.
These are your rights under the law. These are not suggestions that the HPD can toss aside and only disclose if they feel like it, but here's the catch.
You must request these rights, and my suggestion is to request them in writing. You can draft this request and send to the lead detective in this case via Email, then call them and tell them , not the detectives but a watch commander in homicide (get his/her name) and tell them the email is sent. Then ask when you can expect a reply.
At this point in time, I'd suggest all communication is done in writing. That way, not only is it documented, but it will keep anyone from getting heated, and trust me, at this point I'd be heated. I'd be well beyond talking by now.

Step 2.
I'm not sure how long by law they have to respond to your email, however, if it's the same amount of time as a FOIA request, it's 10 days.
If you get no response, or get the run around, IMO you should contact the AG. This is very important.
Why? Because if this goes to the media, AG's are elected officials, and the last thing they want is to have the sun shining on them in a negative way. Explain in writing (then call) that the HPD is in violation of the law, and ask when this will be resolved.

Step 3. Contact the media. However, wait til you've done all the above first. That way, You've covered all the bases.

As I've stated in the past, I'm willing to help anyway I can, however, I can't do this part in regards to the requests. I am not a victim.
I am willing to help with a petition. I'm willing to contact the media for you and get the ball rolling there, if need be. I think we can get many signatures from this website alone, if allowed, however, I believe if the steps above are followed, there may be no need for that.

The goal is to get the DNA evidence out of the hands of HPD, and and into the hands of Parabon.
I can only imagine how frustrating this must be, but, don't give up. You may not know it, but you have many that are supporting you and your efforts.
Thank you for your reply! In regards to Dr Phil let me just say this. When you are in the shoes of our family you reach out to whomever you can think of for help! I watch Dr Phil some and while I agree with you on some of the coverage on cases on his show I was and am at point of nothing can hurt at this point. But I do agree with you that he has had shows that seem to expose.the victims! I have reached out to him, Nancy Grace and anyone that I could think of in hopes that someone would see and hear the desperation of ou families for justice for Andy and Cheryl! I have been in contact with Garland today regarding some legislation proposed for victims of cold cases and hope to get a game plan together for the families to work on to see if we can get the ball moving in the right direction! I am so extremely grateful for all the love and support in this forum for Andy and Cheryl! You just don't know how much it means to us to have your love and support! I hope to be in touch soon with a game plan that I can get all of you to help us with! This month will mark 31 years and it is time for justice!

Thank you for your reply! In regards to Dr Phil let me just say this. When you are in the shoes of our family you reach out to whomever you can think of for help! I watch Dr Phil some and while I agree with you on some of the coverage on cases on his show I was and am at point of nothing can hurt at this point. But I do agree with you that he has had shows that seem to expose.the victims! I have reached out to him, Nancy Grace and anyone that I could think of in hopes that someone would see and hear the desperation of ou families for justice for Andy and Cheryl! I have been in contact with Garland today regarding some legislation proposed for victims of cold cases and hope to get a game plan together for the families to work on to see if we can get the ball moving in the right direction! I am so extremely grateful for all the love and support in this forum for Andy and Cheryl! You just don't know how much it means to us to have your love and support! I hope to be in touch soon with a game plan that I can get all of you to help us with! This month will mark 31 years and it is time for justice!
I understand your frustration, and without going too much into details here because I don't want to derail this thread, I can tell you that I've had first hand experience with contacting talk shows in hopes to get justice, (4 of them) and in no way am I telling you not to do what you feel is right. This I can relate to. I'm just trying to get to the end result with as little effort as possible. I can only imagine the exhaustion and frustration both families must be going through at this point.
I look forward to hearing from you and your game plan.
I do hope you consider acting on my previous post's suggestion. Proposed legislation is great for victims rights, but remember, you have rights that can be utilized now.

Today marks 31 years since Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson were murdered.
To the families......
I can only imagine what a long road this has been for you.
Hopefully this year, modern science will lead LE to the doorstep of their killer(s).
Hopefully this year, you will find at least a modicum of inner peace.
Hopefully this year, justice will be served.
Never give up hope.
You are in my thoughts, and I'm sure you are in the thoughts of many others here as well.

Today marks 31 years since Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson were murdered.
To the families......
I can only imagine what a long road this has been for you.
Hopefully this year, modern science will lead LE to the doorstep of their killer(s).
Hopefully this year, you will find at least a modicum of inner peace.
Hopefully this year, justice will be served.
Never give up hope.
You are in my thoughts, and I'm sure you are in the thoughts of many others here as well.

Thank you so much. Your support has gone above and beyond. I am very thankful!

I remember this case as a kid. I was going to The Village School, which was nearby, when it happened. I am surprised it hasn't been solved yet. Would anyone be interested in participating in a documentary about the case? Thank you!

Step 2.

I've spent days going over all 46 pages of everyone's posts and I noticed your steps you posted about the AG. Has anyone seen this?

There are approximately 269,205 unsolved homicides in the United States and approximately 19,207 unsolved homicides in the state of Texas.

To assist law enforcement agencies across the state of Texas with their cold case investigations, the Office of the Attorney General created the Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit in March 2021. The Unit will provide assistance and support to law enforcement agencies across the state in the investigation and prosecution, (if applicable), of unsolved cases including homicides, missing persons, and other matters centered around human identification and forensic genealogy.

The Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit within the Office of the Attorney General is currently in the planning and development stage. The Unit is on target to begin reviewing cases by the end of 2021.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To make things more interesting, the Advisory Committee is made up of experts from all across the board - this includes Billy Belk and also Dr. David Mittleman who is the CEO of Othram. I will include the link below if anyone wants to check out the other members of the committee. Hoping this will bring answers to the families soon!!

Advisory Committee Members | Office of the Attorney General

DNA may help break notorious 'Lover's Lane' murders
''Finally, the week after he retired, Belk got the call he'd been waiting 17 years for: DNA evidence from semen found in Henry's body had been matched to DNA collected in the unsolved 1990 rape of a 30-year-old exotic dancer who worked at GiGi's, a topless club on Northwest Freeway.
Henry had worked at a similar club, Rick's Cabaret, on Bering. Atkinson occasionally worked the door at Dreams Street, a club on Winrock managed by his father.
Now, for the first time, investigators are considering the possibility the man who attacked them frequented or worked at local strip clubs.''
1200x0.jpg
1of6Investigators have released a composite sketch of the suspect in a 1990 rape of an exotic dancer.
25 Cold Cases in Tyler, Texas Police Are Still Trying to Solve
Jan 3 2022
''The Lover's Lane Murders
The area known as Lover's Lane was located in a wooded area of West Houston near Enclave Parkway and Eldridge. The murders that took place here put this area on the map on August 22, 1990. 23-year-old Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson were found to be brutally murdered after neither of them showed up for work the next morning. According to KHOU and the Houston Police Department, Cheryl's body was found nude. She'd been sexually assaulted and her throat was cut. 21-year-old Andy was found bound to a nearby tree and was nearly decapitated. A detective on the case in 2017 speculated that the killer wanted their bodies to be found, saying that the killer used golf balls and clubs from Andy's car to point to where Cheryl's body had been hidden. In August 2001, a DNA profile from a sexual assault matched the DNA evidence taken from this case. That victim was able to provide investigators with sketch of a possible suspect.''

Last edited:
Below is the answer I received from the AG"s Cold Case Unit, seems like they won't do anything unless HPD request assistance:

Thank you for contacting the Attorney General’s Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit about your cousin, Cheryl Henry, and Andy Atkinson. I am sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding their death and that the case has still gone unsolved. Our office assists local law enforcement agencies with their criminal investigations only upon the request of the agency. Should the local agency contact us for assistance, we are more than happy to review the file and determine whether our office can supply additional resources to help the local authorities. We will keep your email on file in the event we are contacted by the local agency to assist with the investigation.

We hope you and your family will find the answers to what happened in the very near future. Thank you again for reaching out to our office.

Sincerely,

Mindy Montford
Senior Counsel, Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit
Criminal Investigations Division

I went to Bayou Mamas once, a short time before this incident occurred. I remember it as being a dance club. The people were friendly and having a good time. Most of the crowd, I would say, was about the same age as the victims. Many patrons, including me, were a little tipsy, from the drinks. Radio Station 104 KRBE, would often broadcast live, from Bayou Mamas.

I recall a country bar that was right beside Bayou Mamas. I think it was called In Cahoots, if my memory serves me.

I’ve often wondered if the killer(s) followed the victims from Bayou Mamas. This case has always bothered me. Many reasons include the senseless brutality and the fact that the victims were so young.

The late 80’s and 90’s were a different era, in Houston. You were starting to see a recovery from the oil bust. There was rapid growth and nightclubs were opening and closing all the time. The area along the Richmond Strip was really hopping with nightlife. Young people were out partying until the bars closed at 2:00AM. Afterwards, they often went to Dennys, IHOP, Whataburger or the House of Pies.

There was a lot of crime, back then, but I don’t think that ever changes. Houston is the fourth largest city in America. You had violent crime in the 70’s and 80’s. You have violent crime today.

I can’t imagine the pain and suffering that the families have been through. A loss of this nature is unbearable. I hope the monster that carried out this crime is apprehended and punished appropriately.

Here's my advice:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Publicly shame the media, then the media MIGHT care, and then this will be a hotter case for HPD, and they'll do basically anything to make it go away. I love cops, but I can't stand the media.

A couple years ago I got into a habit of basically trolling the websites of ABC13/Click2Houston/Fox26/KHOU11 & telling them how horrible they were for only playing my murdered little brother's Crime Stoppers press conference footage for like 2 minutes on ONE broadcast, yet then they'd do an 8 minute story about some guy who received $30,000 from a crowd-funding site to create "the perfect potato salad".

News stations are REALLY bad at writing and reporting accurate facts. But they're VERY good at trying to portray good PR on social media.

It wasn't long before I was receiving messages from the news stations offering to come and do an interview with us to try and put our case back in the spotlight again.

We are coming the anniversary of this crime. I want to encourage everyone to write, call or email, the various media outlets in Houston. This case needs to be on the front burner.
Attorney General Ken Paxton
Cold Case Unit
P.O. Box 3476
McKinney, Texas 75070

Senator John Cornyn
517 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510

Senator Ted Cruz
127A Russell
Washington, DC 20510

Lt Governor Dan Patrick
Office of the Lieutenant Governor
P.O. Box 12068
Austin, Texas 78711

FBI - Houston, TX
1 Justice Park Drive
Houston, TX 77092

Mayor Sylvester Turner
City of Houston
P.O. Box 1562
Houston, TX 77251

Chief Troy Finner
Houston Police Department
1200 Travis St
Houston, TX 77002

Lieutenant Countryman
1200 Travis St
Houston, TX 77002

Sergeant Rodriguez
1200 Travis St
Houston, TX 77002

Detective Shorten
1200 Travis St
Houston, TX 77002

Texas Crime Victim Services
P O Box 12198
Austin, Texas 78711-2198

Has anyone pitched Dominique Sachse on talking about this story on her YouTube channel and asking for it to go to Paraben or another genetic firm? She’s predominant in Houston, born and raised there, very likely remembers this case - and she’s got something like a million and a half YouTube followers who are mostly educated women. I’m honestly puzzled by why HPD isn’t independently sending it, which means there is more to the story than meets the eye, but get the Houston media community behind this and I think it will happen. Current chief is a good guy.

MoCity:

I read today on the KHOU site where Biden signed the Homicide Victims’ Families’ Rights Act. Basically, the act gives family members of murder victims the right to have their cold case reviewed by Federal authorities, if I am reading the report correctly. It sounds like you might want to be first in line and finally get this case solved:

Today marks 32 years since Cheryl Henry and Andy Atkinson were murdered.
Another year has passed, and this case has yet to be solved.
My thoughts are with MoCity and her family. My thoughts are with Andy Atkinson's family as well.
I know I have said this many times in the past, but never give up hope. I know I won't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back