TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be sure about Arrin Stoner's theory on the first shot missing I went back to the video released by the sheriff's dept. And it does appear to be something striking the upper right of the passageway, around the eave, and it coincides with the first shot (1:30 into the video). If that is the bullet hitting then that first shot is WAY off.

I noted those same things about the shooting. A VERY experienced shooter? Almost all handgun training is exclusively two handed grip with the dominant hand. As you get more advanced then do you get into shooting with the opposite hand, one handed shooting, how to load and shoot with one hand, etc. My training when shooting at an potential assailant inside two paces called for a two handed grip with my elbows locked to my sides for at least the first two shots. My initial reaction was this shooter was NOT an experienced shooter. But there is also the argument that while they might be an experienced shooter in the high stress moment they just simply reacted. IOW, while they might be an experienced shooter at targets they are NOT experienced at killing. At that distance though, even the most inexperienced shooter could hit the target so experience is tough to figure.

The lack of recoil while shooting one handed led me to believe this likely was not a medium caliber revolver such as a .38 Special, .357 Magnum or .327 Magnum or larger. I'm thinking .22, .22 Magnum or .32 caliber. .32's are not common, but not difficult to find. The Rossi .32 comes to mind but it isn't made any longer. Like from daddy's closet? I'm leaning toward a .22 Magnum loaded with hollowpoints. There are plenty of .22 and .22 Magnums available from companies like Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Rock Island and Charter Arms. S&W made a snubnose .22 mag in double action only that used to be common as a back-up piece for LE. Just about every experienced shooter I know that shoots a 9mm, .40 cal, .45 ACP, etc., also owns a .22 handgun of some type. Another point I consider in argument of a .22 is that Elizabeth was shot 4 times, the 4th at point blank range in what appears to be a head wound and yet even with the head wound she was still alive at the scene and survived the trip to the ER. She was still alive on life support the next day in the hospital. It's not common but there are cases of persons surviving head wounds from a .22. Make no mistake .22's are still deadly. President Reagan was shot with a .22 and even though it was only a single shot ricochet off the car door he almost bled to death before they could get him to surgery.

But while I've done a LOT of shooting on my own, in self defense training and in the military I am not certified instructor or an ER doctor, so this is strictly from my own shooting experience and personal opinion.
After watching the Arrin Stoner video I went back to my previous post and put one of my points in bold italics. Wow! Was I mistaken. If Elizabeth was hit 3 times and not 4 like I ASSUMED in this post this really seems like an inexperienced shooter. Missing that first shot from approximately 6 feet away and by feet, not inches, seems to indicate someone inexperienced with shooting. They didn't control the upward momentum of bringing the gun up and fired wildly over her. In any event, it just seems to have all the signs of someone inexperienced in shooting.

I may also need to revisit my theory on the gun caliber. If this person was that poor with the gun, a caliber larger than .22 is also possible. Even that 4th shot could have been poorly placed allowing Elizabeth to still be alive long enough to be transported to the hospital. The only item I have against that is, again, the apparent lack of recoil. I don't see an inexperienced shooter controlling the gun one handed if we are talking about .38 Special even with lower powered wadcutter ammo.

The "going back to check" also indicates to me a non-professional shooter (not a hit-man, I mean). I've always thought that was a crazy-risky move, as all her neighbors would likely be home at that hour, many up and getting ready to go to work. (And, as it turns out, that was the case.)

After Arrin's video, I'm leaning more toward the Star Wars angle. It sounds like there could have been many people who weren't very happy with her from the "sister" associations or even their own group.

I really wish Arrin would have addressed the stop of the black Frontier truck. I think that's key.

The "going back to check" also indicates to me a non-professional shooter (not a hit-man, I mean). I've always thought that was a crazy-risky move, as all her neighbors would likely be home at that hour, many up and getting ready to go to work. (And, as it turns out, that was the case.)

After Arrin's video, I'm leaning more toward the Star Wars angle. It sounds like there could have been many people who weren't very happy with her from the "sister" associations or even their own group.

I really wish Arrin would have addressed the stop of the black Frontier truck. I think that's key.
I would love for the people who put that video together to see if it is possible to get more info from the local cops on the details of that stop. Someone needs to put the pressure on to help solve this.

I would love for the people who put that video together to see if it is possible to get more info from the local cops on the details of that stop. Someone needs to put the pressure on to help solve this.
I’d also love to know if who was in that truck matches the description of the name Sergio gave to the cops.

Arrin plans to do future videos.

Just to be sure about Arrin Stoner's theory on the first shot missing I went back to the video released by the sheriff's dept. And it does appear to be something striking the upper right of the passageway, around the eave, and it coincides with the first shot (1:30 into the video). If that is the bullet hitting then that first shot is WAY off.
Depending on the firearm used, maybe there is now evidence left at the scene, a shell casing? IMO

I don't think the killer was worried about ANY cameras.
I am not as convinced of that because of the sign as you enter the subdivison the Barraza's lived in. There is a sign on the road right next to the Goddard School where it is thought the killer waited for Sergio to pass by and leave. The sign says the area is under video surveillance. Maybe that sign was put up after January 25, 2019 due to the murder? That would certainly sway my opinion. I have not followed this case from the beginning.

Also, the fact the truck was passing businesses before it even makes a turn onto the road leading into the subdivision is another factor. Would the killer have considered that maybe police might try to get video from those businesses to identify their truck or the direction it came from before turning on to the subdivision road leading to the Barraza house?

I agree, however, that if the killer did use their own personal vehicle to commit this crime, they really got lucky police did not get a license plate number.

Where did that Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck go after the murder? The fact that the truck enters and leaves, enters and leaves, and over a long period of time would probably suggest to most people the killer came from outside the subdivision area where the Barraza's lived.

I, along with others, thought this killer really planned this murder. Now after seeing the Arrin Stoner video, the killer had a LOT of just plain dumb luck! Drive by the crime scene again. Vehicle caught on multiple surveillance cameras. Couldn't shoot straight. And still not arrested. I wonder if LE has actually received a tip on this killer and for some reason probably can't even tie them to a black Nissan truck and moved on. More and more, I'm thinking this killer did not own that truck. I wouldn't be surprised if the real owner doesn't even suspect a thing.

I'm wondering if the killer made the kill at someone else's request... someone from Liz's past? Did Liz reject an old love? Rejection is a terrible thing for some people and that person may not have got over the rejection.

I can't help but wonder if Liz's killer attempted to imitate (somewhat) what Sheila Keen did when she killed Marlene Warren.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the killer made the kill at someone else's request... someone from Liz's past? Did Liz reject an old love? Rejection is a terrible thing for some people and that person may not have got over the rejection.

I can't help but wonder if Liz's killer attempted to imitate (somewhat) what Sheila Keen did when she killed Marlene Warren.
I had forgotten about that murder. Maybe this killer did originally plan to ring the doorbell and shoot Elizabeth in the doorway. VERY similar to the Marlene Warren murder.

I had forgotten about that murder. Maybe this killer did originally plan to ring the doorbell and shoot Elizabeth in the doorway. VERY similar to the Marlene Warren murder.
I hadn't heard about Marlene Warren. Her case reminded me of Amy Fisher's shooting of Mary Jo Buttafuoco--except she didn't wear a disguise, and Mary Jo didn't die. Same scenario though of shooting her when she opened the door.

I have been thinking that it very well could be someone from Liz's past who rejected her (maybe someone she knew when she lived in Florida?). However, if that is the case, I don't think they sent someone else to kill her. They wanted her to know their identity before she died. And if the person did say "I got you" (as Arrin Stoner claims in his video), it's definitely the person him/herself.

I, along with others, thought this killer really planned this murder. Now after seeing the Arrin Stoner video, the killer had a LOT of just plain dumb luck! Drive by the crime scene again. Vehicle caught on multiple surveillance cameras. Couldn't shoot straight. And still not arrested. I wonder if LE has actually received a tip on this killer and for some reason probably can't even tie them to a black Nissan truck and moved on. More and more, I'm thinking this killer did not own that truck. I wouldn't be surprised if the real owner doesn't even suspect a thing.
Yes, vehicle caught on multiple cameras. However, there could be that one missing piece to connect both of the trucks. The "video truck" may have been missing a license plate and therefore does not match/link to the truck that was pulled over the morning of the murder. Isn't there a type of spray or motorized way to mask a license plate? Additionally, if LE couldn't get a decent read on the plate in the videos due to a mask of sort that would be a problem. Does TX require a front plate too? IMO

Yes, vehicle caught on multiple cameras. However, there could be that one missing piece to connect both of the trucks. The "video truck" may have been missing a license plate and therefore does not match/link to the truck that was pulled over the morning of the murder. Isn't there a type of spray or motorized way to mask a license plate? Additionally, if LE couldn't get a decent read on the plate in the videos due to a mask of sort that would be a problem. Does TX require a front plate too? IMO
Good question about front plates! I checked, and Texas is the only state in the southern part of the country that does require front plates. I wonder if there's a different rule for trucks, though. I live in Missouri, which requires both front and back plates for most vehicles. However, certain trucks are an exception: those that are licensed to carry over 12,000 pounds are only required to have a front plate (they only get one plate when they register the vehicle). The reason they require it on the front is because "many of these types of vehicles could be towing items that could make it difficult to view a rear license plate." A lot of those trucks here have decorative plates on the rear, like ones for sports teams.

I always tease my husband about the front plates. I've lived in three states, all of which require both plates. I tell him I don't trust states that don't require a front plate. (He's from Michigan, which is a one-plate state, lol!)

Last edited:

Paxton’s Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit Hosts Seminar Supporting Law Enforcement Agencies in Solving Cases​

The Texas Attorney General’s Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit is hosting a free seminar for law enforcement agencies across the state titled “Investigating Cold Cases in 2022: DNA, Genealogy, Cell Phone Location Analytics, and Other Resources” on October 5 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum