TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be no consensus as to whether this killer is male or female. Personally, I can't make up mind completely one way or another. (We've had this same debate in the Missy Bevers case.) If this was not a killer for hire I can see a chance this killer was a woman. But in a killer for hire scenario I tend to believe it was a male. Not that it hasn't happened before, but rather I have a hard time imagining someone approaching a woman to kill for them.

I watched Arrin Stoner's detailed analysis last night and he is to be commended for his effort. After watching it, and hearing the sound bytes-wow. "I got you, bi$%ch". Sounds like this may be personal, if that is truly what was said. Again, this is speculative-it DOES appear that the killer uttered this, but nothing is 100 %. If this was a hired hit, why does it sound so personal? Was the killer angry, or just passing on a message?

Arrin's theory of two suspects in the vehicle makes a lot of sense to me now. The still-shot footage is not crystal clear, but it does appear that someone is in the passenger seat. This is further bolstered IMHO by the dialogue as the Nissan parked near the garage sale:

Arrin's video demonstrates two different audio profiles in addition to Liz'. My theory is that as the killer pulled up the passenger spoke to Liz through his rolled-down window, "Ya having a garage sale?". This audio bite was higher-pitched than the killer's. Now, the driver most-likely could not be the one saying this-it was being said as the car pulled up, or was being parked. Even if the killer's window was down, it makes no sense that "Ya having a garage sale?" was asked by the driver-the direction of this audio was toward Liz. I think that the passenger used this as a ruse, since obviously the killer knew about the yard sale. The next and deeper voice then says, "You take $100 for the helmet?" as he exits the vehicle and approaches Liz, to which Liz replies, "Yup"

So WHY was there a passenger? Why would a killer want or need someone else in the car? Are they a second party to whoever had it out for Liz? Are they the one who hired the killer, and want to witness it first-hand? What person, without a stake in the killing, would go along for a drive with a hitman? Not me! While we cannot know for sure, it is probably one of three things:

1) Two or more persons hated Liz and went about committing the murder.
2) One or more persons hated Liz, and the other was there for some unknown reason.
3) One or both were hired to murder Liz.

Is it possible that the killers were from another city/state/Mexico, and the passenger was there to keep the killer company or to alternate time behind the wheel on the long drive to the residence? Or possibly to assist with surveillance?

I'm 99% sure that two people were in the truck, so why? It takes only the killer to drive there and commit the crime, after all. I believe that the killers came from a good distance away and that two people were in truck in order to alternate driving stints in order to drive directly there, without stop. It's the only reason I can think of for two occupants being present. This was a high-risk killing, and I believe that no sane person would want to be in that truck unless they were a party to the crime or out of necessity to drive non-stop and/or navigate GPS and be a second set of eyes.

I prayed before sleeping last night that these monsters are soon apprehended. I'd be happy to add to the reward if it will help.

I agree that I think I see/hear two people in the truck. And IMO it's a man (killer) and a woman (passenger). Could it be a couple? Maybe one of them was hired to kill Liz and/or killed her because they deeply hated her for some reason and the spouse went along for support? Because they also hated her? I'm unsure. I can also see the angle proposed of them driving for a long distance away so two came to split the drive and just keep the other company. IMO you must REALLY have to love someone though to go along for the ride during a murder and risk ending up in jail (and I suppose it's possible the one who wanted her dead was actually the passenger and their partner said, "I'll take care of it for you").

It’s extremely important to get this monster/coward arrested and prosecuted. Off of our streets before the person commits another crime. And this person will strike again imo. This person is someone that may appear normal in an everyday way but there’s still something that seems off about the person. Somebody does know something…Somebody does know something… I hope that they will do the right thing.

I watched Arrin Stoner's detailed analysis last night and he is to be commended for his effort. After watching it, and hearing the sound bytes-wow. "I got you, bi$%ch". Sounds like this may be personal, if that is truly what was said. Again, this is speculative-it DOES appear that the killer uttered this, but nothing is 100 %. If this was a hired hit, why does it sound so personal? Was the killer angry, or just passing on a message?

Arrin's theory of two suspects in the vehicle makes a lot of sense to me now. The still-shot footage is not crystal clear, but it does appear that someone is in the passenger seat. This is further bolstered IMHO by the dialogue as the Nissan parked near the garage sale:

Arrin's video demonstrates two different audio profiles in addition to Liz'. My theory is that as the killer pulled up the passenger spoke to Liz through his rolled-down window, "Ya having a garage sale?". This audio bite was higher-pitched than the killer's. Now, the driver most-likely could not be the one saying this-it was being said as the car pulled up, or was being parked. Even if the killer's window was down, it makes no sense that "Ya having a garage sale?" was asked by the driver-the direction of this audio was toward Liz. I think that the passenger used this as a ruse, since obviously the killer knew about the yard sale. The next and deeper voice then says, "You take $100 for the helmet?" as he exits the vehicle and approaches Liz, to which Liz replies, "Yup"

So WHY was there a passenger? Why would a killer want or need someone else in the car? Are they a second party to whoever had it out for Liz? Are they the one who hired the killer, and want to witness it first-hand? What person, without a stake in the killing, would go along for a drive with a hitman? Not me! While we cannot know for sure, it is probably one of three things:

1) Two or more persons hated Liz and went about committing the murder.
2) One or more persons hated Liz, and the other was there for some unknown reason.
3) One or both were hired to murder Liz.

Is it possible that the killers were from another city/state/Mexico, and the passenger was there to keep the killer company or to alternate time behind the wheel on the long drive to the residence? Or possibly to assist with surveillance?

I'm 99% sure that two people were in the truck, so why? It takes only the killer to drive there and commit the crime, after all. I believe that the killers came from a good distance away and that two people were in truck in order to alternate driving stints in order to drive directly there, without stop. It's the only reason I can think of for two occupants being present. This was a high-risk killing, and I believe that no sane person would want to be in that truck unless they were a party to the crime or out of necessity to drive non-stop and/or navigate GPS and be a second set of eyes.

I prayed before sleeping last night that these monsters are soon apprehended. I'd be happy to add to the reward if it will help.
I often wondered if the two people involved (shooter and accomplice) in the murder of Liz are actually local.

I’m confident this case will be solved and justice served. Thank you for your prayers.. the power of prayer will prevail.

In my opinion only; the killer is a woman. Also, my opinion; a lone killer with a lot of anger and hatred towards Elizabeth. Why? I am starting a hypothesis that in the audio; (Barraza's nest cam?) the voice is somehow disguised....

###trigger warning

I hear "I'm gonna kill you, " and something else along those lines....The voice is absolutely distorted, in my opinion.
The whole video is very scary and creepy..I don't recommend it for the faint of heart. I actually put off watching it for a while....

I often wondered if the two people involved (shooter and accomplice) in the murder of Liz are actually local.

I’m confident this case will be solved and justice served. Thank you for your prayers.. the power of prayer will prevail.
In my opinion only, the truck may have been local; maybe LE can't tie the truck to the crime or tie the truck to a suspect...

I agree that I think I see/hear two people in the truck. And IMO it's a man (killer) and a woman (passenger). Could it be a couple? Maybe one of them was hired to kill Liz and/or killed her because they deeply hated her for some reason and the spouse went along for support? Because they also hated her? I'm unsure. I can also see the angle proposed of them driving for a long distance away so two came to split the drive and just keep the other company. IMO you must REALLY have to love someone though to go along for the ride during a murder and risk ending up in jail (and I suppose it's possible the one who wanted her dead was actually the passenger and their partner said, "I'll take care of it for
If there is two people in the truck ( I’m not sold on the stoner theories) you don’t need to really love someone to accompany them in this murder. You just need to be motivated by money.

If there is two people in the truck ( I’m not sold on the stoner theories) you don’t need to really love someone to accompany them in this murder. You just need to be motivated by money.
Yes-I agree. But let me expand on my "2 people in the truck from out of town" theory. If Arrin Stoner is correct, and the killer did say " I got you bi##tch", does this mean that the killer(s) have it in for Liz, or perhaps he has tried to kill her before and now, he finally "got" her? Two people were possibly in the truck on video at either 12:30 am or 2:00 am (I've seen both mentioned), AND 2 people in the truck at just before 7 am when the murder takes place. Again, I think that they are NOT from the area. Why do the drive-by with someone as well as the murder? Again, I think IMHO that they are from out of town, and wanted to avoid being on camera during the day when resolution is clearer and they also avoided high-video areas like gas stations, motels and restaurants.

I'm as clueless as everyone, but lacking a motive I am trying to let the details of the crime speak to me. <modsnip> I am sure that all POI's have had cell and financial checks completed. Hits don't usually come cheaply, and these guys do not appear to be pros, but they did execute their plan very well it would seem. Liz is the unlikely target of a hit-no enemies, no debts, no bad habits. We all agree that someone hated Liz. They knew about the garage sale. The nature of the crime was heinous. They may have traveled a fair distance to commit the crime. The infuriating thing is that this hatred for Liz, if it existed, was a well-kept secret.

The good news about this scenario is that one of the two perps may eventually make a mistake, or come into LE view via another crime-twice the odds than if only one person was involved.

Did Sergio say WHEN/WHAT DAY that he and Liz decided to have the garage sale? I'm trying to determine how much time the actors had to plan/carry this out-TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The costume served the purpose to conceal the identity of the shooter. The robe/scrubs and wig were perhaps chosen because they’re items easily removed, can be discarded and rid of any blood evidence/splatter, etc.

Liz at first stated a greeting. As the shooter approached her maybe Liz recognized the shooter, saw the gun, stepped back, and a few words were spoken. What was said I don’t know. I can’t understand a word of what was said during video other than a few words. It also looked like she extended her hand out for something. What I don’t know. I think the shooter wanted Liz to know who was about to kill her. So maybe that also tells you that the shooter does not own the truck? If so, why didn’t the truck when it first appeared ...alarm Liz?

Narrative is all a MOO.

My bold.
It was a yard sale. I've had a couple of yard sales, many years ago, and people who came by were folks I'd never seen before -- some people go to yard sale as hobbies; sometimes friends would come. I never thought about what any of the visitors were driving.
I don't see why a particular vehicle would bother her at all. Even if Liz had known the person, would she care what type of vehicle the person was driving? Plus, a truck is often handy at yard sales -- you might need a truck if something large was offered at the sale.
Dunno. Just my take on it.

In my opinion only, the truck may have been local; maybe LE can't tie the truck to the crime or tie the truck to a suspect...
Back to what I said earlier. What forensic evidence could be in the truck? They didn't commit the crime inside the truck. They didn't use the truck to transport a body. It isn't like this was an up close stabbing or slashing with a knife and a lot of blood got on the killer to be transferred to the truck. Maybe gunshot residue from the killer to the truck, but if that is the case I would be in trouble with all my trips to the range.

Yeah, the truck could be local. And what would tie the truck to the crime? GPS in the truck? LE would probably have to either get the owner's permission or get a search warrant. They would need probable cause for the latter.

I tend to believe there is a strong chance is outside the area. But given the difficulty in tying the truck to the crime it could just as well be local.

Back to what I said earlier. What forensic evidence could be in the truck? They didn't commit the crime inside the truck. They didn't use the truck to transport a body. It isn't like this was an up close stabbing or slashing with a knife and a lot of blood got on the killer to be transferred to the truck. Maybe gunshot residue from the killer to the truck, but if that is the case I would be in trouble with all my trips to the range.

Yeah, the truck could be local. And what would tie the truck to the crime? GPS in the truck? LE would probably have to either get the owner's permission or get a search warrant. They would need probable cause for the latter.

I tend to believe there is a strong chance is outside the area. But given the difficulty in tying the truck to the crime it could just as well be local.
Maybe I’ve seen too much Law&Order but I have seen some episodes where the killer stashed the weapon in the getaway vehicle. Not even in an obvious place but some hidden broken panel or something.
Maybe they could tie the truck to being at someone’s workplace at the time or maybe it was a friend of someone’s that they borrowed. I’d like to think if the killer owned this vehicle, the police would have figured it out already. I think finding out how the vehicle is tied to the killer will be the missing link.

Maybe I’ve seen too much Law&Order but I have seen some episodes where the killer stashed the weapon in the getaway vehicle. Not even in an obvious place but some hidden broken panel or something.
Maybe they could tie the truck to being at someone’s workplace at the time or maybe it was a friend of someone’s that they borrowed. I’d like to think if the killer owned this vehicle, the police would have figured it out already. I think finding out how the vehicle is tied to the killer will be the missing link.
How could a perpetrator be tied to a truck, if the truck was stolen? ( I'm not saying that's what happened)

I noticed something while reading the family’s website timeline page.

The suspect pulls into a parking lot 10 seconds before the victim’s husband leaves that morning. Then he and the suspect, according to video timestamps, depart at *exactly* the same time, to their respective destinations: Sergio, to work, presumably?, and the suspect towards the victim’s home. It takes the suspect 2 minutes to drive there.

Following the shooting, Sergio returns. He has been away from the home for a solid hour - to the minute.

I find these time instances fascinating. For instance: the 10 second pause just before the shooter and her husband, Sergio, spring into motion that morning. That’s just enough time for an all-clear message to be sent.

Ten seconds later, they’re both on the move. This is just incredible to me. What absolute timing, if the husband didnt alert the shooter. I know there are cameras, but still - that’s amazing.

And then Sergio doesnt return until exactly one hour later. 60 minutes. There’s nothing meaningful I can find in this except how conveniently out of place it puts him from the shooting.

JMO - a theory.

This is probably a dumb question, but if someone close to Liz hired person(s) to kill her, how would they arrange that in a way that's not traceable? Texts, messages online, phone calls, etc. can be traced. So would it either have to be a burner phone no one knew they had or an in-person meeting? However, you'd think arranging the in-person meeting would have been done via phone somehow.

Maybe there's a really easy answer here I'm not thinking of lol.

This is probably a dumb question, but if someone close to Liz hired person(s) to kill her, how would they arrange that in a way that's not traceable? Texts, messages online, phone calls, etc. can be traced. So would it either have to be a burner phone no one knew they had or an in-person meeting? However, you'd think arranging the in-person meeting would have been done via phone somehow.

You answered your own question— a burner phone.

I have often thought that the killer we see on video is doing stuff to try to make it look not like a hired hit. Because it seems so obvious that it is, but by saying stuff that make it sound personal, I think that is their way of trying to make it seem like a personal vendetta, not a hired hit.

Burner phone. Or maybe word of mouth through someone else. Messages sent through someone else’s phone. There was a murder featured years ago on dateline where the husband planned it and then used a friends phone to confirm with the killer.

I share your curiosity. The only two methods of communication that I can think of are burner phones and in-person discussions. However, say a person were trying to get ahold of Sergio for instance. If they initiated a discussion via a burner phone, it would show up as suspicious on Sergio’s bill, wouldn’t it? Both parties would have to have burner phones. Just thinking…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyacintha