TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think there is a strong possibly it is simply just "nappy" hair.

The person on the footage looks to me like a suburban, middle class, woman who got out of bed on a chilly morning to walk her dog.

The soft boots, the robe, the messy hair.

I am not certain there is any disguise at all.

What you said here makes a good point: Yes, I think many have commented on how this looks like a woman in a bathrobe, out to get the paper in the morning: Bulky, long, robe-like garment; Big, "Ugg" style boots; long hair not-pulled back, like she's just rolled out of bed.

But: We know this isn't the case. So, why does "she" look like this? This is why I think it's a disguise. We know that this shooting was well planned, with the killer casing the place beforehand. It wasn't a woman who simply rolled out of bed, thought about the b____ who ruined her life, decided to finally destroy her/teach her a lesson, etc., grabbed her gun, drove over to Liz's place and shot her. This was a person who had everything timed well. Who cased in the middle of the night. Who waited for the virtual second that Sergio left for work. Who, it would appear, showed Liz something to distract her before shooting her. Who shot well and effectively. She hit her target the four times she used her gun. I just doubt (she) would be dressed in a way that resembles a woman who just got out of bed unless it were a disguise. (And, what better feature to disguise/misdirect than sex.)

This wasn't a woman in a rage. This was a person on a mission. A well thought-out mission.

I've always thought that this was a man dressed as a woman, but I have seen the camera angle where the killer looks to have a more feminine form. However, this doesn't convince me. I thought the sprint was male, and I think the whole manner of killing is more likely to be male. For now I'm putting that "female-look camera angle" in the category of incidental sort of artifact. For now. We shall see. Hopefully.

Edited to Add: I apologize if I'm not very coherent today. Some days it's just hard to corral the thoughts onto the page in a way that makes sense!

What you said here makes a good point: Yes, I think many have commented on how this looks like a woman in a bathrobe, out to get the paper in the morning: Bulky, long, robe-like garment; Big, "Ugg" style boots; long hair not-pulled back, like she's just rolled out of bed.

But: We know this isn't the case. So, why does "she" look like this? This is why I think it's a disguise. We know that this shooting was well planned, with the killer casing the place beforehand. It wasn't a woman who simply rolled out of bed, thought about the b____ who ruined her life, decided to finally destroy her/teach her a lesson, etc., grabbed her gun, drove over to Liz's place and shot her. This was a person who had everything timed well. Who cased in the middle of the night. Who waited for the virtual second that Sergio left for work. Who, it would appear, showed Liz something to distract her before shooting her. Who shot well and effectively. She hit her target the four times she used her gun. I just doubt (she) would be dressed in a way that resembles a woman who just got out of bed unless it were a disguise. (And, what better feature to disguise/misdirect than sex.)

This wasn't a woman in a rage. This was a person on a mission. A well thought-out mission.

I've always thought that this was a man dressed as a woman, but I have seen the camera angle where the killer looks to have a more feminine form. However, this doesn't convince me. I thought the sprint was male, and I think the whole manner of killing is more likely to be male. For now I'm putting that "female-look camera angle" in the category of incidental sort of artifact. For now. We shall see. Hopefully.

Edited to Add: I apologize if I'm not very coherent today. Some days it's just hard to corral the thoughts onto the page in a way that makes sense!
If it's a man, it's a man who is inexperienced with using a gun—probably a first-time killer—and whose body language is effeminate. But I still vote for female, largely based on victimology.
I see Liz as someone that many other women would be jealous of. She was cute enough in her own way, but she was a bit of a plain Jane, yet she had a husband, a nice house in the suburbs, a prominent role in the cosplay community (which—let's face it—includes its fair share of insecure, maladjusted people), and a good job. I can see a narcissistic woman being plagued by gnawing jealousy over Liz's lifestyle. I can see a narcissistic woman thinking, "I'm smarter and better looking than she is; why does she have everything while I have nothing."
I don't see Liz as someone that would make many male enemies; I see her as someone that would be well-liked as a colleague or friend by most men. Any woman might attract a stalker, but I don't see Liz as a strong candidate for that. I also think there would have been warning signs if Liz had had a stalker, and we haven't heard anything to that effect. For the killer to be a man, the motive would have to be an atypical one, IMO.

Last edited:
But: We know this isn't the case. So, why does "she" look like this? This is why I think it's a disguise. We know that this shooting was well planned, with the killer casing the place beforehand. It wasn't a woman who simply rolled out of bed, thought about the b____ who ruined her life, decided to finally destroy her/teach her a lesson, etc., grabbed her gun, drove over to Liz's place and shot her. This was a person who had everything timed well. Who cased in the middle of the night. Who waited for the virtual second that Sergio left for work. Who, it would appear, showed Liz something to distract her before shooting her. Who shot well and effectively. She hit her target the four times she used her gun.

Liz was basically shot at the point blank range. The perp didn't have to be a sniper, or have much experience with guns, to locate all the shots in the target they had at the reach of their arm. More, all the four bullets, despite piercing Liz's chest, neck and head area, failed to kill her on the spot. Even the last shot, straight into her head didn't kill her immediately. It took a whole day before Liz died. The person who shot her either was bad shooter or didn't know where to shoot in order to kill. And picked a small caliber gun, which also screams lack of experience (bigger calliber - more extensive injuries).

I really think if we had a tiny bit more footage, then that debate would be answered.

For instance, right before she was attacked. Was the SWAT person lying in wait? Going with the planner theory, looking through all the doors may have been looking for the room she was going to set up her workouts in, to ambush her.

Going with random stranger theory, if the SWAT person was obviously startled, made shocked reactions, and impulsively attacked her then this would be the correct theory.

For me, we just simply don’t know until we see more.
Imo, I can't help from wondering if in Liz's case more footage of the truck is released and substantial media coverage of Liz's case is given it would help to solve it. It appears media chooses the crime that the public is to focus on. I know I can't be the only one that notices this... moo.

If it's a man, it's a man who is inexperienced with using a gun—probably a first-time killer—and whose body language is effeminate. But I still vote for female, largely based on victimology.
I see Liz as someone that many other women would be jealous of. She was cute enough in her own way, but she was a bit of a plain Jane, yet she had a husband, a nice house in the suburbs, a prominent role in the cosplay community (which—let's face it—includes its fair share of insecure, maladjusted people), and a good job. I can see a narcissistic woman being plagued by gnawing jealousy over Liz's lifestyle. I can see a narcissistic woman thinking, "I'm smarter and better looking than she is; why does she have everything while I have nothing."
I don't see Liz as someone that would make many male enemies; I see her as someone that would be well-liked as a colleague or friend by most men. Any woman might attract a stalker, but I don't see Liz as a strong candidate for that. I also think there would have been warning signs if Liz had had a stalker, and we haven't heard anything to that effect. For the killer to be a man, the motive would have to be an atypical one, IMO.
Agreed with a lot of what you said in your post. I go back and forth about male/female. At the end of the day, I never waiver on coward, I believe that we can all agree on.

Additionally, there may have been warning signs, that the public is not privy to of course.

All is a moo

On March 1st, my husband unexpectedly died. I will be getting life insurance money but to be honest, I don’t care about it. No amount of money can make me happy and bring him back. I’d rather have him here with me.

Everyone reacts differently to grief but there still are things about this case that make me scratch my head. I have a whole new perspective, i think. I couldn’t imagine moving on so quickly and stopping to talk to the media or taking an hour to get home. I had to beg the staff where he died to let me see him. I didn’t want to leave him, ever. Leaving where he died was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

On March 1st, my husband unexpectedly died. I will be getting life insurance money but to be honest, I don’t care about it. No amount of money can make me happy and bring him back. I’d rather have him here with me.

Everyone reacts differently to grief but there still are things about this case that make me scratch my head. I have a whole new perspective, i think. I couldn’t imagine moving on so quickly and stopping to talk to the media or taking an hour to get home. I had to beg the staff where he died to let me see him. I didn’t want to leave him, ever. Leaving where he died was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
Oh, hunny. So sorry for you. Lots of hugs headed your way...

I’m so sorry for your loss. I noticed you hadn’t been posting the last couple of weeks and hoped you were okay.

Thank you again for such a personal perspective on this case. I’ll never understand Sergio’s actions that day.

@Ajs1004, my sincere condolences to you for the loss of your dear beloved husband.

So sorry for the loss of your husband. May you have enough strength to get through moment by moment during the days ahead.May the angst, ache and uncertainty be tempered with wonderful memories and loving friends and family to help you in this season.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!

I, too, think Sergio's behavior is inexplicable. Were my husband in Liz's situation, I would be clawing my way to get to him -to talk to him, comfort him, say last things to him, tell him I love him, find out how he's doing, hold his hand..... Clawing. The only way LE could get me to hang back and answer questions would be to put me in handcuffs.

That being said, several posters here have also brought up the strange way he referred to her -as an "angel". Who knows how others use language. It can vary tremendously between individuals. However, I sort of equate it to telling someone that my husband is a saint. I love him, but he's not a saint. I would tell people that he's a "wonderful man", a "wonderful husband", a "great guy", etc. But I can't think I'd ever equate him to an angel.

So, perhaps all wasn't 100% lovey-dovey, hunky-dory in the Barraza world. Maybe Sergio described her that way out of guilt? As a way of pointing the finger away from him because as the husband, he knows he'll be the number one suspect. The thing is, though: Even if things weren't as perfect as we've been told, that doesn't really help us get very far. Very many couples who don't have perfect marriages go on to live un-perfect lives. They don't end up being shot a point-blank range right outside their own home. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence at all that points to SB, whether or not their marriage wasn't the picture perfect one that's been portrayed.

We need some evidence! Something, somewhere. A phone call. Something. There really wasn't anything on either of their phones? That surely points away from home and more toward someone at work or at the 501. Something like that. Maybe.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Most sincere condolences to you and your family. Your comment about your response to your dear husband's death is very relevant here, JMO, and helpful.

Ajs1004,
I’m so sorry for your loss. My sincerest condolences for you at this time. I agree with what you said completely btw.

Liz was basically shot at the point blank range. The perp didn't have to be a sniper, or have much experience with guns, to locate all the shots in the target they had at the reach of their arm. More, all the four bullets, despite piercing Liz's chest, neck and head area, failed to kill her on the spot. Even the last shot, straight into her head didn't kill her immediately. It took a whole day before Liz died. The person who shot her either was bad shooter or didn't know where to shoot in order to kill. And picked a small caliber gun, which also screams lack of experience (bigger calliber - more extensive injuries).

I have been wanting to discuss the murder weapon, and this may have been the perfect opening for that.

The weapon was a revolver, right?

This, to me, might me one of two things (or I may be completely incorrect but here’s my two cents)

1. This weapon was chosen strategically. No shell casings eject from a revolver and there is almost no chance for the weapon to misfire/malfunction/jam. This could imply major planning, efforts to conceal evidence, and potential knowledge of weapons.

2. It’s simply all the killer could get their hands on. A revolver also could imply that it was all that was available to the killer, as many people do not use revolvers anymore. Something about it being a revolver and small caliber sets off these potential theories to me.

Tl;Dr: the killer either knew what they were doing really well or just grabbed the only gun available to them at the time.

Purely speculative, just using reasoning.

I had a friend die of natural causes during an activity with 15-20 other people. We were still there at 1 am, unable to leave. In shock. We had to bring in food. I think that's a very human response.

From the latest interview with S

Q: Who knew about the garage sale?

A: The only people who knew about the garage sale is some of her coworkers, myself, her parents and I think my mom..

It’s been 4 years and the killer is still on the loose , yet he is not sure whether his mom knew garage sale or not . This with his mimics sounded to me like he’s trying to downplay the importance of garage sale. He constantly did the same like he only watched the CCTV once, or he was unaware of the insurance or the insurance amount being not much or choosing to say Liz passed away instead of killed or murdered. It implies to me distancing oneself totally from the facts and the case itself. JMO

@Ajs1004 I'm so sorry for your loss.

I wrote a comparison about this case and Kaityln Armstrong, and the bold text very similarly describes the actions she took and her motivation for doing it.

I personally cannot see a man in this case pretending to be a woman, especially so fluidly. The movements, the lack of anything remotely masculine. Would a man go out and buy a pair of uggs in his size just for this attack? Also, have you noticed that when men who do not dress normally in women’s clothes, suddenly have biceps and muscles? (Think for instance any comedy skits with men in dresses)

As I have said before, most men would not put this much thought into it. Dark hat, shades, bandana, dark long sleeves and pants.

My money is on this being a woman. A fairly spoiled woman in an unhappy marriage, and just generally unhappy altogether.

Question is, what could (if it was a woman) she possibly use as an excuse to use someone’s truck THAT early in the morning? (Which also makes me think she had just got out of bed). I can’t picture a woman making an excuse to go anywhere public, dressed that way, (maybe saying the baby needs milk, oops we are out of coffee) which is what leads me to believe it was an attack taken out at the golden opportunity time, well planned but also slightly impulsive acting in the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member