TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liz's parent interview Jan. 2023.

Full story: Four years later, investigators, family members still searching for answers in Liz Barraza's murder case

Bob: That person comes forward breaks the case its that simple.

Rosemary: Sergio got her a Harry Potter suitcase for Christmas. “Liz talked to everybody about the trip. She didn’t post anything on Facebook or any social media though. She was excited for the trip.”

Planned to leave on Sunday, January 27th.

Grace: When did she decide to have the garage sale?

Rosemary: She talked about about it probably for a good month where she was starting to get things together… and am not exactly sure but we probably heard about it the week before she was like okay I’m going to be having it.

The garage sales were not unusual we would have them on Friday and Saturday, nothing new. We were going to go on Friday. She asked if we had anything and we really didn’t and I've (Rosemary) in the past gone to the garage sales but come late, not a morning person. I usually get her coffee and come around 10:00 am.
The night before Bob was unemployed at the time and talked with her to explain that Bob needed that time to look for a job.

Bob: On day of garage sale, Liz set the alarm in the house, leave the door from the garage into the house unlocked. I can only say this was in case she needed a quick retreat, but she knew she could get to the door, pop it open and the alarm would instantly have that safety.

Rosemary: This was possibly third garage sale at Cedar Walk home.

Bob: They were burglarized in their apartment prior to buying their home, traumatic experience and Liz felt safe in new (2016 purchased) home.

Bob & Rosemary: Liz and S meet in 2009, met at Sam Houston.

Grace: Lets clear up about the garage sale. Rosemary: Yes, she wanted to earn some extra money for souvenirs and stuff and it pains me to know end because the garage sale if she had sold everything at that garage sale she might have made a $100. Liz would have sold it really cheap if someone got really excited about an item. Bob: or give it to her. They already paid for the trip/flight. Money saved for souvenirs. They didn’t need the money. Liz thought there might be something needed. Didn’t need to have garage sale.

Rosemary: The truck leaves Goddard school seconds before S left the house. It’s very possible and we don’t know this for a fact S when he left the subdivision he was directly behind the truck but didn’t see didn’t think anything of it. But it’s that close of a time period when they’re actually leaving the subdivision.

Bob: They were waiting to see him leave and got nervous for whatever reason or they decided that he was leaving soon and they were going to get in position. We don’t know but it’s literally S out of the neighborhood probably less than a minute and killer pulls up.

Shooter gets on driveway very quickly but cuts across the grass.

Bob: Audio: from the audio we can tell doorbell camera was picking up
Grace: a lot of people have tried to analyze. What can you. Make out?
Bob: I can make out her say good morning. I’ve listened to and looked at some of the interpretations. One of the interpretations essentially describes the kind of conversation you would have with someone if you were going to a garage sale. The words that they attribute to Liz are things that she would have said.
Things like yep or sure, we’re sure people. Liz would say sure all the time.

Parents think shooter knew of cameras. Don’t know why shooter (58 seconds) drove back by murder.

They exited the neighborhood and according to everything we’ve heard the truck was lost in an area where there was no commercial camera feeds at all. That’s the last we’ve seen of it. Speculation by some people that have spent some time truck went down a dead end cul-de-sac. That had a driveway style curb in cul-de-sac and drove up onto a Greenbelt and exited onto Kuykendahl far down the road from where police were coming in at main entrance to Princeton Pl.
Rosemary: It makes sense to them. Didn’t know how truck left neighborhood previously. This gives an answer possibly.

Rosemary: Liz was shot four times (confirmed with detective) despite what report states or puff of smoke or dust shown on doorbell camera. Bullet hit/ricochets and hits the top of the house.

The alarm company called parents that morning. Parents tried calling Liz no answer. House was not entered for 20 minutes. On the way to Liz’s house S called the parents and said that he could see police tape but didn’t know if it was in front of his house or from his doorbell or the neighbors and that he tried to call Liz and she didn’t answer.

They stayed there until S got there. Rosemary: When I heard that she was life flighted I kind of resigned myself that she was gone. They told us she had been shot. We didn’t want to leave S by himself. He wasn’t there yet. Liz would want them to stay with him. Parents tried to get S family there so they could leave.

Shooter touched nothing and took nothing. Liz did not live a dangerous lifestyle. Parents speculate why she was killed…jealousy, jealous of their relationship, a nice home, going on vacation, living a dream life?

They want their story told correctly and reference their website

Rosemary: The truck leaves Goddard school seconds before S left the house. It’s very possible and we don’t know this for a fact S when he left the subdivision he was directly behind the truck but didn’t see didn’t think anything of it. But it’s that close of a time period when they’re actually leaving the subdivision.

Bob: They were waiting to see him leave and got nervous for whatever reason or they decided that he was leaving soon and they were going to get in position. We don’t know but it’s literally S out of the neighborhood probably less than a minute and killer pulls up.

Bob: I can make out her say good morning. I’ve listened to and looked at some of the interpretations. One of the interpretations essentially describes the kind of conversation you would have with someone if you were going to a garage sale. The words that they attribute to Liz are things that she would have said.

Parents think shooter knew of cameras. Don’t know why shooter (58 seconds) drove back by murder.

They exited the neighborhood and according to everything we’ve heard the truck was lost in an area where there was no commercial camera feeds at all. That’s the last we’ve seen of it. Speculation by some people that have spent some time truck went down a dead end cul-de-sac. That had a driveway style curb in cul-de-sac and drove up onto a Greenbelt and exited onto Kuykendahl far down the road from where police were coming in at main entrance to Princeton Pl.
Rosemary: It makes sense to them. Didn’t know how truck left neighborhood previously. This gives an answer possibly.

Rosemary: Liz was shot four times (confirmed with detective) despite what report states or puff of smoke or dust shown on doorbell camera.Bullet hit/ricochets and hits the top of the house.

The alarm company called parents that morning. Parents tried calling Liz no answer. House was not entered for 20 minutes. On the way to Liz’s house S called the parents and said that he could see police tape but didn’t know if it was in front of his house or from his doorbell or the neighbors and that he tried to call Liz and she didn’t answer.

They stayed there until S got there. Rosemary: When I heard that she was life flighted I kind of resigned myself that she was gone. They told us she had been shot. We didn’t want to leave S by himself. He wasn’t there yet. Liz would want them to stay with him. Parents tried to get S family there so they could leave.

Shooter touched nothing and took nothing. Liz did not live a dangerous lifestyle. Parents speculate why she was killed…jealousy, jealous of their relationship, a nice home, going on vacation, living a dream life?

They want their story told correctly and reference their website https://whokilledlizbarraza.com

I’ll update when I come across it. I recall it had the number 38 in it. .38? .038? I’m clearly not a gun person.
I am not truly a good person either- well not by the standards of my rural friends.

As @cujenn81 implies .38 is the standard revolver cartridge. .38 revolvers were very common before modern semi automatic pistols significantly out paced revolvers in popularity.

Today, .38 caliber revolvers are still somewhat common. Even still, .38 revolver could imply an older gun from "Daddy's closet" rather than a recent purchase.

But..... adding a 'zero' to the .38 yields .380. .380 is a less powerful variant of the 9mm cartridge of legend n' lore.

Though nothing is truly rare with the internet, 9mm is not a very common revolver cartridge- at all. One can go through many gun stores, pawn shops and even gun shows with out ever seeing a 9mm revolver.

Likewise, a casual gun owner, or even a moderately interested hobbyist may not readily realize that one can shoot .380 in pistols chambered for 9mm (but the reverse is not a good idea).

Making a loong story short....

.38 spins "daddy's closet (shooter seems feminine to me). 9mm revolver using .380 strongly spins "fire arms enthusiast / Boy friend is a fire arms enthusiast."

I rewatched the video and a few things stood out to me.

The shooter very calmy walked up to Liz.

Liz greets them, but then takes a HUGE step back, and appears to be nervous/frightened/intimidated. (Wonder if Liz saw the gun or knew this person and was already scared)

The shooter has something extended from their left arm. Some people speculate they were handing a note to Liz. But was it a note? Or was this person showing them something on a phone?

Their left arm is extended for a while, and the second Liz leans in a little to see better, that is when she is shot.

I am no video analysis expert but that is what I saw after watching it again a couple of times.

If this analysis has some accuracy, I wonder if the shooter was distracting Liz so she wouldn't run away, had something to confront her with, or both?

I rewatched the video and a few things stood out to me.

The shooter very calmy walked up to Liz.

Liz greets them, but then takes a HUGE step back, and appears to be nervous/frightened/intimidated. (Wonder if Liz saw the gun or knew this person and was already scared)

The shooter has something extended from their left arm. Some people speculate they were handing a note to Liz. But was it a note? Or was this person showing them something on a phone?

Their left arm is extended for a while, and the second Liz leans in a little to see better, that is when she is shot.

I am no video analysis expert but that is what I saw after watching it again a couple of times.

If this analysis has some accuracy, I wonder if the shooter was distracting Liz so she wouldn't run away, had something to confront her with, or both?
When I reviewed the killing of Liz video I see substantially similar as your explanation. As I’ve noted in previous threads here, Liz was locked in and items arranged so that Liz had nowhere to escape. Is that a coincidence? A perfect storm that day? Obviously this is of my opinion and is not fact. IMO

Another strange part about this case is that after Elizabeth Barraza was shot the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X driven by the murderer leaves heading in one direction. Then a minute later it comes back driving past the Barraza house where Liz had just been shot heading in the opposite direction. The theory is the killer came back because they were checking to make sure she was dead.

According to the Arrin Stoner video around 9 -17 minute mark, another neighbor captured surveillance footage at the corner of Sandusky Drive and Brogan Court. The address that captured the footage was 24535 Sandusky Drive. After the Nissan passes this intersection, Sandusky Drive becomes a cul-de-sac dead end. Yet the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck is not seen on the surveillance footage again as if it turned out to come back of the cul-de-sac and go right on Brogan Court to leave the subdivision area. This leads to the only real possibility that the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X must have gone "off road" at the end of Sandusky Drive to get back to Kuykanduhl Road.

The strange part is how would the driver be able to prepare for this without doing a run through of the drive? If turning around after shooting Elizabeth Barraza was unplanned, then how did they know to go off-road? Without being noticeable the only way to prepare to go off road like that would be to walk or bike the area beyond the end of Sandusky Drive before you drive it so you know which way to go.

Why even go off-road? Why not just turn around and leave by going out through Brogan Court? With those houses right there in the cul-de-sac, going off road will create a lot more attention than just turning around at the cul-de-sac and going back to Brogan Court to turn right to get back to Kykanduhl Road.

That part of the case does not make any sense to me at all.

According to the timeline posted on the "Who Killed Liz?" page, by 6:58, police were on scene at Liz's house. I'm assuming they came with sirens going, so it's possible the killer(s) went off-road because they heard sirens approaching and didn't want to chance driving by the cops and having their car/license plate on dash cam footage that would possibly be reviewed later to see what cars were leaving the subdivision. Timeline

According to the timeline posted on the "Who Killed Liz?" page, by 6:58, police were on scene at Liz's house. I'm assuming they came with sirens going, so it's possible the killer(s) went off-road because they heard sirens approaching and didn't want to chance driving by the cops and having their car/license plate on dash cam footage that would possibly be reviewed later to see what cars were leaving the subdivi
Another strange part about this case is that after Elizabeth Barraza was shot the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X driven by the murderer leaves heading in one direction. Then a minute later it comes back driving past the Barraza house where Liz had just been shot heading in the opposite direction. The theory is the killer came back because they were checking to make sure she was dead.

According to the Arrin Stoner video around 9 -17 minute mark, another neighbor captured surveillance footage at the corner of Sandusky Drive and Brogan Court. The address that captured the footage was 24535 Sandusky Drive. After the Nissan passes this intersection, Sandusky Drive becomes a cul-de-sac dead end. Yet the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck is not seen on the surveillance footage again as if it turned out to come back of the cul-de-sac and go right on Brogan Court to leave the subdivision area. This leads to the only real possibility that the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X must have gone "off road" at the end of Sandusky Drive to get back to Kuykanduhl Road.

The strange part is how would the driver be able to prepare for this without doing a run through of the drive? If turning around after shooting Elizabeth Barraza was unplanned, then how did they know to go off-road? Without being noticeable the only way to prepare to go off road like that would be to walk or bike the area beyond the end of Sandusky Drive before you drive it so you know which way to go.

Why even go off-road? Why not just turn around and leave by going out through Brogan Court? With those houses right there in the cul-de-sac, going off road will create a lot more attention than just turning around at the cul-de-sac and going back to Brogan Court to turn right to get back to Kykanduhl Road.

That part of the case does not make any sense to me at all.
If we approach this from the perspective of a rational person, you would think that anyone in their right mind would have avoided driving back past the scene since the gunshots could have quickly brought people to Liz’ assistance-persons who potentially could’ve gotten the license plate and/or identified key aspects of the vehicle and perpetrators. And the theory that they drove back to see if she was dead makes little sense to me since again it involves driving past the scene-and what if she wasn’t dead? Are they going to exit the vehicle and shoot her again? My thought is that they drove back to the scene because they were lost and had to do it. Perhaps their exit plan was not very well thought out. I’m not sure if this brings us any closer to establishing motive, but this is in my opinion, and other scenarios could be plausible as well.

I have recently noticed the Podcasters that helped to solve the Kristin Smart and Courtney Coco cases, and thought that this case would be a good candidate for that type of thing. It could be the one thing that brings the one tip that leads to the one person. Woody Overton, who worked the Coco case, is a really sharp cookie, and I’d love to hear what he has to say about the solvability of this case.

If we approach this from the perspective of a rational person, you would think that anyone in their right mind would have avoided driving back past the scene since the gunshots could have quickly brought people to Liz’ assistance-persons who potentially could’ve gotten the license plate and/or identified key aspects of the vehicle and perpetrators. And the theory that they drove back to see if she was dead makes little sense to me since again it involves driving past the scene-and what if she wasn’t dead? Are they going to exit the vehicle and shoot her again? My thought is that they drove back to the scene because they were lost and had to do it. Perhaps their exit plan was not very well thought out. I’m not sure if this brings us any closer to establishing motive, but this is in my opinion, and other scenarios could be plausible as well.

I have recently noticed the Podcasters that helped to solve the Kristin Smart and Courtney Coco cases, and thought that this case would be a good candidate for that type of thing. It could be the one thing that brings the one tip that leads to the one person. Woody Overton, who worked the Coco case, is a really sharp cookie, and I’d love to hear what he has to say about the solvability of this case.
Person not familiar with the area: They got lost on their way out. Matches arriving the night before to check things out. Means they are not too close to the victim's inner circle because they weren't sure where she lived.

Person familiar with the area: Could be they were listening in to the scanner and knew the police where coming from that same direction. They knew how to get out through the blind Cul-De Sac.

Either way, this person was very cavelier and to me seems to be a unsophisticated criminal. They let their car be seen on camera multiple times, they let themselves be caught on camera, they spoke and risked their voice on camera. I would not be surprised if they made other mistakes as well, but they got incredibly lucky.

As is often the case, people far removed often are more aware of a local crime than people in the same neighborhood. I think this is a solvable crime and it just needs one tip. The more notoriety the better.

MOO the only way this doesn't eventually get solved is if the victim was chosen completely at random- i.e. this was a opportunity that presented itself and the killer took it.

I do not think the person who murdered Elizabeth Barraza was lost after they committed the crime.

First, they parked in the direction they needed to go in order to leave the subdivision after the murder. Second, they originally parked at the Goddard School off Princeton Place which leads directly into the subdivision. Third, once I did a google street drive from Kuykandahl Road to where the Barraza's lived, it seemed like they only lived a minute or two inside the subdivision. All you have to do is go down Princeton Place, right, then follow around the curve and you will pass by the house. I am remembering this from google street drive so if I am wrong someone can correct me. But it seems that easy.

Even if police had passed by the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X there is no way they would have known at that point and time right after the crime that the vehicle was involved. If the murderer did think the police were going to be tracking the vehicle that quickly after the crime it certainly would have made more sense when this person was driving around at 2 am to have scouted the streets of the subdivision a little better to figure out the exit points back to Kuykandahl Road.

If this was a hired killer, then it does not seem like a very experienced hired killer. If the killer had an accomplice then the accomplice must not have done their map homework. Or maybe the accomplice said when they go lost, "It is time to go off road!"????

I do not think this was a hired killer. I do not think there was an accomplice. Those are my opinions only.

Person not familiar with the area: They got lost on their way out. Matches arriving the night before to check things out. Means they are not too close to the victim's inner circle because they weren't sure where she lived.

Person familiar with the area: Could be they were listening in to the scanner and knew the police where coming from that same direction. They knew how to get out through the blind Cul-De Sac.

Either way, this person was very cavelier and to me seems to be a unsophisticated criminal. They let their car be seen on camera multiple times, they let themselves be caught on camera, they spoke and risked their voice on camera. I would not be surprised if they made other mistakes as well, but they got incredibly lucky.

As is often the case, people far removed often are more aware of a local crime than people in the same neighborhood. I think this is a solvable crime and it just needs one tip. The more notoriety the better.

MOO the only way this doesn't eventually get solved is if the victim was chosen completely at random- i.e. this was a opportunity that presented itself and the killer took it.
I believe that LE know who killed Liz, but can't link killer with vehicle. They need that one tip. Speculation on my part - Nothing to base this on and is definitely not fact. moo

I am probably wrong.

I do not think the person who murdered Elizabeth Barraza was lost after they committed the crime.

First, they parked in the direction they needed to go in order to leave the subdivision after the murder. Second, they originally parked at the Goddard School off Princeton Place which leads directly into the subdivision. Third, once I did a google street drive from Kuykandahl Road to where the Barraza's lived, it seemed like they only lived a minute or two inside the subdivision. All you have to do is go down Princeton Place, right, then follow around the curve and you will pass by the house. I am remembering this from google street drive so if I am wrong someone can correct me. But it seems that easy.

Even if police had passed by the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X there is no way they would have known at that point and time right after the crime that the vehicle was involved. If the murderer did think the police were going to be tracking the vehicle that quickly after the crime it certainly would have made more sense when this person was driving around at 2 am to have scouted the streets of the subdivision a little better to figure out the exit points back to Kuykandahl Road.

If this was a hired killer, then it does not seem like a very experienced hired killer. If the killer had an accomplice then the accomplice must not have done their map homework. Or maybe the accomplice said when they go lost, "It is time to go off road!"????

I do not think this was a hired killer. I do not think there was an accomplice. Those are my opinions only.
BBM I may be incorrect, however, I believe that the neighbor across the street from Liz's home who called 911 (also cctv captured the murder) advised 911 the type of vehicle. moo

The truck is seen in the Goddard School parking lot for 10 seconds. It then exits the parking lot at 6:48 am.
Also, at 6:48 am S leaves his home driving a white panel van.

At 6:51 am, the truck is seen on surveillance camera in the neighborhood driving toward Barraza house.

At 6:52 am, truck passes the Brarraza home. Driver makes a three point turn on Cedar Walk Drive parking behind Liz’s car, exits walking toward the driveway where Liz is still setting up. The murderer speaks to Liz for about 6 seconds. There are a total of three quick shots and then a fourth shot which takes approximately 30 seconds.

At 6:53 am, killer sprints back to the truck and leaves heading east on Cedar Walk Dr. And then east to Princeton Place Drive toward Kuykendahl Road

At 6:53-4 am approximately, neighbors call 911 and truck exits Princeton onto Kukendahl Road and makes a U-turn and heads back
toward crime scene.

At 6:55 am, killer drives back by Liz’s house heading west on Cedar Walk Drive.

Four minutes later around 6:59 am Harris County precinct 4 constables arrived to investigate and secure the crime scene.

There is video footage captured of truck at intersection of Sandusky Drive and Brogan Ct.
Therefore when shooter left crime scene he took a left onto Sandusky Drive and went south passing Brogan Court and continued further south on Sandusky Drive out of camera view.

Beginning at 11:45 timestamp provides additional information.

I believe that LE know who killed Liz, but can't link killer with vehicle. They need that one tip. Speculation on my part - Nothing to base this on and is definitely not fact. moo

I am probably wrong.
I tend to believe LE doesn't have anything pointing to the killer. BUT OTH, it just seems obvious there is personal connection to Elizabeth and as such LE has gone to everyone with a known connection to her. So the theory that LE has strong suspicions about a particular individual is very much a possibility. That they crossed paths with the killer is something I believe is very likely. If they don't "know" the killer I wouldn't be surprised to learn they have a list of up to a dozen persons they are keeping a close eye on.

On that note look at the missing person case of Teresa Butler of Riscoe MO in 2006. When LE finally makes an arrest 13 years later it is revealed that LE was looking at that person from the very beginning.

With that in mind is that truck really a hindrance to the investigation? IOW they have a person or persons they suspect but it is the focus on the truck that prevents LE from moving on any one person. And what was the reason for LE to travel to Miami to interview someone there. Elizabeth did live in FL at one time.

Liz's parent interview Jan. 2023.

Full story: Four years later, investigators, family members still searching for answers in Liz Barraza's murder case

Bob: That person comes forward breaks the case its that simple.

Rosemary: Sergio got her a Harry Potter suitcase for Christmas. “Liz talked to everybody about the trip. She didn’t post anything on Facebook or any social media though. She was excited for the trip.”

Planned to leave on Sunday, January 27th.

Grace: When did she decide to have the garage sale?

Rosemary: She talked about about it probably for a good month where she was starting to get things together… and am not exactly sure but we probably heard about it the week before she was like okay I’m going to be having it.

The garage sales were not unusual we would have them on Friday and Saturday, nothing new. We were going to go on Friday. She asked if we had anything and we really didn’t and I've (Rosemary) in the past gone to the garage sales but come late, not a morning person. I usually get her coffee and come around 10:00 am.
The night before Bob was unemployed at the time and talked with her to explain that Bob needed that time to look for a job.

Bob: On day of garage sale, Liz set the alarm in the house, leave the door from the garage into the house unlocked. I can only say this was in case she needed a quick retreat, but she knew she could get to the door, pop it open and the alarm would instantly have that safety.

Bob: They were burglarized in their apartment prior to buying their home, traumatic experience and Liz felt safe in new (2016 purchased) home.

Bob & Rosemary: Liz and S meet in 2009, met at Sam Houston.

Grace: Lets clear up about the garage sale. Rosemary: Yes, she wanted to earn some extra money for souvenirs and stuff and it pains me to know end because the garage sale if she had sold everything at that garage sale she might have made a $100. Liz would have sold it really cheap if someone got really excited about an item. Bob: or give it to her. They already paid for the trip/flight. Money saved for souvenirs. They didn’t need the money. Liz thought there might be something needed. Didn’t need to have garage sale.

Rosemary: Liz was shot four times (confirmed with detective) despite what report states or puff of smoke or dust shown on doorbell camera. Bullet hit/ricochets and hits the top of the house.

They want their story told correctly and reference their website

Rosemary: Liz was shot four times (confirmed with detective) despite what report states or puff of smoke or dust shown on doorbell camera.Bullet hit/ricochets and hits the top of the house.

They want their story told correctly and reference their website https://whokilledlizbarraza.com

Snipped and bolded by me:

This has always stood out to me that she set her alarm before going outside. If she felt safe in her new home/neighborhood why would she do this. PTSD maybe..........but it really makes me wonder if she had felt threatened in some way within the last month or two and this is why. Especially because as the article goes on, it says she wouldn't have made a large sum of money even if she sold everything.

It just seems weird, of all of the times to set the house alarm, during a garage sale when you will be going in and out constantly isn't one of them.

Snipped and bolded by me:

This has always stood out to me that she set her alarm before going outside. If she felt safe in her new home/neighborhood why would she do this. PTSD maybe..........but it really makes me wonder if she had felt threatened in some way within the last month or two and this is why. Especially because as the article goes on, it says she wouldn't have made a large sum of money even if she sold everything.

It just seems weird, of all of the times to set the house alarm, during a garage sale when you will be going in and out constantly isn't one of them.
Yes, and curiously, why didn't the shooter pick Saturday? Only real difference is that Sergio would have been there, and at that hour many folks would have been more-likely asleep than on Friday (a day when many people would be going to work and/or dropping children off at school). LE always says that there are no coincidences, so why the quick duck by the perp into the school parking lot as the husband was driving away?

There's a reason why polygraph test results are not admissible in court...AIMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member