TX - Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fox 4 is playing the youtube video now. Unbelievable.

That made me cry and my hands started to shake holding my phone watching it. The fear in that little childs voice really affected me! :(

My prayers go out to everyone in West Texas and anyone affected by this tragedy.

The thing that struck me in these 2 videos is that these people not be "locals".

Because they don't even wonder about the plant? I mean, if you know there is a fertilizer plant in town, why would you think ANYTHING else first????

Wouldn't that be your assumption?? So they must not know the plant is there. Will go finish watching this second one now...but that really struck me as odd!

I was just thinking last night after all this...I wonder what that building is around the corner from me down over yonder...it is some kind of plant. I bet these folks, as well as lots of other folks out there, wouldn't always know if they were living next to something dangerous... Sure, Texas City, etc., its obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are these plants in close proximity that one wouldn't think twice about....I don't think there are signs that say Warning, You live close to a potential bomb. :( I'm curious what dangerous plants I live next to that I have no idea about...googling it.

<edit> nevermind, not sure I want to know right now. Maybe later.

Glad you and Mr. DD are ok! I have to admit, watching the news this morning of this horrible tragedy - The livestock did make me giggle as well. Apparently they moved all of the media to this livestock area for shelter. The animals have been adding their own commentary all morning!

Thanks for sharing!

Hahaha - I wondered what the heck that was when I was watching the news earlier - I thought it was sirens or a really popular ringtone!

Fertilizer company fined by feds in '12
Deadly explosion hurt more than 160 people

Updated: Thursday, 18 Apr 2013, 2:44 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 18 Apr 2013, 9:53 AM CDT
Jackie Vega
Joe Ellis

WEST, Texas (KXAN/AP) - Federal regulators fined the company that operates the Texas fertilizer plant that exploded overnight $10,000 last summer for safety violations, The Associated Press reported Thursday. But the government accepted $5,250 after the company took what it described as corrective actions.

Records reviewed by the news service show that the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration determined that the West Fertilizer Co. planned to transport anhydrous ammonia without making or following a security plan. An inspector also found that the plant's ammonia tanks weren't properly labeled.

It is not unusual for companies to negotiate lower fines with regulators.

Meanwhile, The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality officials said the 51-year-old West fertilizer plant has been cited before for failing to obtain or to qualify for a permit.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/tceq-investigated-west-plant-in-2006

Presser delayed 30 minutes again. 3:30pm.
(Somebody forgot to tell the cows.)

Surgeon at Hillcrest:

Skin, soft tissue injuries. Small and large wounds.
Internal injuries... lung and abdominal.
Debris injuries, eye issues, ear drum bursting.

Critical injuries are all blast injuries... internal injuries and significant wound issues.
No chemical injuries at Hillcrest.

How long can someone survive in the rubble?
Could survive days depending on your physical condition.
Would worry most about the nursing home people.

He has seen 3 children himself, don't know the total number.
People coming by helicopter, ambulance, officers and civilians.

Don't know of any found in the rubble since this morning.
Has seen a number of first responders, can't put a number on it.

Have all critical patients been identified...
YES.

No one has died at the hospital as a result of their injuries.

Some patients went home today, some will be there for weeks.

Has treated people he is aware of, but no one he knows personally.

For those (like me) who have been wondering, "What the heck is a Kolache?"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache

I was going to post an image but there are too many different varieties to choose from.

Nummy!

I have been to various parts of Texas and let me say that Texans are some of the friendliest people in the country!

Another Hillcrest guy talking.
Says some people at the hospital were taking care of their own family members last night.

Melissa James - a social worker had three of her own family members brought into the hospital while working.
Her family members had lacerations to the head and glass injuries.
Her brother and nephew were driving down the road. Her stepmother called and let her know they were injured.
It was difficult to come into work knowing her own family was injured.
Her brother's house is significantly damaged, don't know if it's a total loss.

Asking the social worker for the hospital who is to blame for the explosion. :doh:

Did her relatives tell her any harrowing details? :facepalm:
They were just so grateful and blessed to be alive and not have lost any family members.

I was just thinking last night after all this...I wonder what that building is around the corner from me down over yonder...it is some kind of plant. I bet these folks, as well as lots of other folks out there, wouldn't always know if they were living next to something dangerous... Sure, Texas City, etc., its obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are these plants in close proximity that one wouldn't think twice about....I don't think there are signs that say Warning, You live close to a potential bomb. :( I'm curious what dangerous plants I live next to that I have no idea about...googling it.

<edit> nevermind, not sure I want to know right now. Maybe later.

I live in a town whose major employer aside, from tourism is a Paper Mill (same mill that is shown in the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman") an accident there will certainly not cause devastation like this did but the chemical releases could be deadly.
I think having these potential disasters in our backyards is really the norm if we are aware of them or not.. ie railroad tracks, gas pipelines etc.

In the face of incredible danger, first responders ran in to save lives.
They lost their lives helping others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
endoplazmikretikulum95
Back