TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After opening the door to Jean's apartment, Defendant Guyger stated in an interview with the Texas Rangers that she drew her service weapon and began issuing verbal commands to Jean, who was lawfully in his apartment," the lawsuit says. "Jean attempted to comply by slowly arising from his seated position. Without any lawful justification to do so and not asking the questions that a reasonable well-trained officer would have, Defendant Guyger fired upon Jean, striking him in the chest although he was unarmed and not attempting to harm her or any other person."

BBM, I had never seen that quote before. From link provided in post #214 above.

The other damning quote is that Guyger did not render any first aid to Mr. Jean, a man she shot at, and "mistakenly" killed in his own home. Even if she had killed him by accident, (which I do not believe), but please justify how she did not try to do everything to save him, once she realized her error. At the very least, get a towel to stop the bleeding.

No. But if it is stated in the lawsuit, the lawyers should have relied on their own investigations, and have to have some evidence to state their case.

This is actually an important document, before the DPP discloses the result of their investigation. I will not take it as absolute truth but there is evidence that is worthy to go to court with.

MOO

The cell phone records could be very interesting here...especially if Guyger was talking on her cellphone to a police union representative, while Mr. Jean is bleeding out on the floor. That would prove that Guyger did not attempt any type of resuscitation or first aid to a man she just accidentally shot.

Well, I guess that there are "priorities", of course.

Dallas man shot woman dead after she accused his wife of using racial slur, police say | Crime | Dallas News

This is how "regular" people who shoot someone in Dallas are treated. The man is in jail, awaiting bond. As opposed to Guyger, who went strolling home, and her name was not released for 48 hours. She didn't spend even an hour in a jail cell, not even 5 minutes, unlike this man, who is held until his bond is arranged.

Granted, this man told the truth, he wasn't told to be quiet, and given 48 hours to develop a defense plan.

There is plenty of examples for attorneys to use in the case against the city of Dallas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawand...ger-should-have-been-charged-with-murder/amp/

A new District Attorney in Dallas. He has some ideas about Amber Guyger.

Yes, very encouraging. From y0ur link:

“I don’t know any police reports,” he said in a NBC-Dallas-Worth report. “I don’t know any forensic reports, but based on what I have seen, manslaughter is an inappropriate charge, based on the circumstances as I understand them. Once I get in there and I get everything in front of me and it appears the most appropriate charge is murder, then that’s the charge we will go forward with.”

He said that going with anything less than murder turns away from local county precedent.

DA's have the authority to change the charges that the GJ reviews. They have quite a bit of leeway in this process.

Didn't realize the DA was up for re-election. That explains why the previous DA did nothing about the case for so long and kept it out of the news.

The new DA is a retired judge, so it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

I think that there is a "new Sheriff" in Dallas. This DA sounds like he is ready to take Dallas PD to task for shootings. He makes a lot of sense. Obviously well qualified for the position as a former judge.

I am hoping so.

However, regardless of the DA's position, the more honest thing to do is to state clearly what you would do or won't do and let the community have its outrage depending on where their leanings fall. Too many public servants let the can get kicked down the road, hoping that the public outcry or outrage will subside--leaving a potential community divide to fester. To my knowledge there is little new information they can glean.

Oh Goodness, I hate the waiting for this family. I hate the waiting for this community. It is a pity that a DA might not make a move because of an election--spineless, imo.

I am hoping so.

However, regardless of the DA's position, the more honest thing to do is to state clearly what you would do or won't do and let the community have its outrage depending on where their leanings fall. Too many public servants let the can get kicked down the road, hoping that the public outcry or outrage will subside--leaving a potential community divide to fester. To my knowledge there is little new information they can glean.

Oh Goodness, I hate the waiting for this family. I hate the waiting for this community. It is a pity that a DA might not make a move because of an election--spineless, imo.

From the article, the new DA won the election. He just isn't speaking of specific plans until he's been sworn into office and has a chance to fully review the case. Not sure how things work in Dallas, but new officeholders are usually sworn in the following January. As a retired judge, he's probably holding back until then.

ETA: from the article linked above, it sounds like he thinks the charge should be upgraded. If the grand jury is already deliberating, it will be up to the new DA to meet with them after he's sworn in. IANAL, so am not sure what his options are WRT the GJ.

Last edited:
From the article, the new DA won the election. He just isn't speaking of specific plans until he's been sworn into office and has a chance to fully review the case. Not sure how things work in Dallas, but new officeholders are usually sworn in the following January. As a retired judge, he's probably holding back until then.
Got it. Most of my comment is about the former DA or any elected official who refuses to act based on not wanting to inflame those who are not supporters or embolden supporters prior to an election. It is spineless and makes political something that should be about justice--wherever they stand. If the prior DA didn't think there was a criminal issue, speak it and take the heat. Otherwise the memory of Mr. Jean is just sullied by political garbage.

ETA: from the article linked above, it sounds like he thinks the charge should be upgraded. If the grand jury is already deliberating, it will be up to the new DA to meet with them after he's sworn in. IANAL, so am not sure what his options are WRT the GJ.
No grand jury working yet. From the article:
A Dallas County court clerk told Law&Crime on Friday that records show a grand jury hearing has a yet to be scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member