GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent argument from Hermus - SHE engaged, SHE became the aggressor when she decided to go in when she wasn’t in danger behind the steel door. She can’t argue self-defense if she wasn’t in danger at the door in the hallway and she was the one to engage.

The castle doctrine is troublesome: it was HIS castle, not hers- but because she thought it was her castle, the doctrine applies- i dont get it

Is it that the doctrine applies, or that the defense is allowed to argue that it applies? I think the latter? Defense attorneys are allowed to argue all sorts of things that a jury may or may not believe.

And I think the concept of ‘reasonable’ applies, every step of the way. She has to reasonably believe it’s her apartment, reasonably believe that Botham poses a threat to her, etc.

MOO

Technically me too, I don’t know why I would even begin to think this is any different. Especially when a police department “plans for riots” after a trial. Some may call that smart planning, but I for one didn’t like that they put that out there like she was gonna be acquitted from the beginning

YEP! They might as well put up a huge sign saying, “hey ya’all just to let you know, this tiny little white girl who was so afraid for her life, she had to kill an innocent man in his own apartment is gonna walk free”

Did the defense go over the castle doctrine well? Because the state is discussing self defense beautifully and while the Castle Doctrine is a form of self defense what I've read (and I am NOT versed in TX law), indicate that just the presence of an intruder signifies an immediate threat. Meaning it doesn't necessitate a person rushing at the person who uses self defense, or brandishing a weapon, etc. It doesn't have to be last resort. You don;t have to retreat or find another option with the Castle Doctrine from what I can tell.

Did the defense go over the castle doctrine well? Because the state is discussing self defense beautifully and while the Castle Doctrine is a form of self defense what I've read (and I am NOT versed in TX law), indicate that just the presence of an intruder signifies an immediate threat. Meaning it doesn't necessitate a person rushing at the person who uses self defense, or brandishing a weapon, etc. It doesn't have to be last resort. You don;t have to retreat or find another option with the Castle Doctrine from what I can tell.
No. I was surprised defense did not hammer in castle doctrine. Pros is really doing well drilling in self defense and red mat.

This is the way I understand it, but again I think it should apply only to persons legally occupying a resident.

No. I was surprised defense did not hammer in castle doctrine. Pros is really doing well drilling in self defense and red mat.

Wow! That's good for the state. I am very interested in the jury instructions. Hopefully you can review them if they publish. I want to know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70