GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Are You Eligible for Parole in Texas? | The Law Office of Greg Tsioros
eta: snipped Texas Government Code § 508.149 | FindLaw
When Offenders May Become Eligible for Parole
Inmates serving under the sentence of death, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, or commission of continuous sexual abuse of a child aren’t eligible for parole.

However, an offender may become parole-eligible under Texas law, including:

• If an inmate has served 40 years of a sentence for capital murder;
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for aggravated sexual assault (or two prior convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for aggravated kidnapping with intent to commit sexual abuse (or has two prior felony convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for indecency with a child-contact (or two prior felony convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for burglary habitation with intent to commit sexual assault or indecency with a child (or has two prior felony convictions, one of which is sex-related)
I haven't reviewed yet - but if she is convicted of capital first degree murder - findlaw says no parole

Yeah. And I still have a hard time knowing what I would vote for. But I didn't watch all of sentencing. So I have a prediction about the jury but I don't know where I stand. How about you? What do you think would be just if you'd be willing to say?
Approximately 10. And I think I would anger my entire family and in-laws with that; half would think it’s way too high, half would think it’s way too low.

eta: snipped
Inmates serving under the sentence of death, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, or commission of continuous sexual abuse of a child aren’t eligible for parole.

• If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for aggravated sexual assault (or two prior convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for aggravated kidnapping with intent to commit sexual abuse (or has two prior felony convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for indecency with a child-contact (or two prior felony convictions, one of which was sex-related);
  • If an inmate has served 35 years of a sentence for burglary habitation with intent to commit sexual assault or indecency with a child (or has two prior felony convictions, one of which is sex-related)
I haven't reviewed yet - but if she is convicted of capital first degree murder - findlaw says no parole

This isn't a capital murder case. It's a first degree felony. I think it read 35% of the sentence? I just scanned.

Thank you!!!

The instructions just read by the judge were that she'd be eligible for parole after serving half her sentence or 30 years, whichever is less. Of course there's no guarantee that she'll be paroled and that's entirely up to the parole board. I think a 28 year sentence is just if the jury decides to go that symbolic route. In most states, a murder conviction is an automatic 25 to life with parole. And I think 25 years for taking a life is just. I mean we can go back and forth and say but she didn't mean to.....sorry....not good enough. You don't kill someone and say oops and go on a cruise. Then go to trial and expect to waltz out in 5 or 10 years. That's ridiculous!

It’s just showing the jury call button at mo on law and crime. I guess that lights up when they are ready to come back.. I wonder if they even had a figure in mind before they went to deliberate

well it seems like everyone here thinks she can be up for parole at some time...a quick google and the media says in texas no parole on this one. We will see.
So if she gets 28 years she sill have to serve the whole 28 years?

No pitchfork here. You are not alone. I agree. But I don't think it's going to go down that way. I think they'll give her at least 50....the remaining time Bo may have had in his life. Emotionally, I can see it heading in this direction.
Whew, glad I have someone that agrees. I have just been quiet on here since the majority want her to fry. I defensively do not think she deserves 50 at all.

I have zero hatred for AG.

However I will not forget that it was she that sealed her own fate. I truly believe this case would be different had she only rendered aid.

Had she been truthful. Had she shown contrition.

And while I’m at it: DPD also shoulders blame here. (Whether they like it or not). Had they processed the shooting without prejudice and had they not tried to shield her, they would not be facing public skepticism and criticism.

There are consequences to actions. It’s reasonable to expect everyone to be held equally accountable

I have a firm belief that the Universe, God, Goddess puts certain people in your path during your life for a special reason and what you do during that first meeting determines the next leg of your path.

I have been crying my eyes out listening to Bothem's family and friends and all I can think is what if she had realized her mistake in thinking it was her apartment? What if? What if? What if a wonderful friendship could have been developed with her upstairs neighbor. What a pleasant, positive person he would have been in her life. What great fun they could have had getting to know one another after a laugh that she had invaded his castle. He would have brought so much joy, laughter, compassion and empathy into her life and made her such a better human being. But she is on a different path now instead.

Good reminder - AG is in this position because of her own actions! Had she not been so trigger happy and prone to violence, she would not be looking at many years in prison right now. She still has her life. She will have opportunities for friendship, more schooling, she can learn a craft, she may even get married (many prisoners do), she'll still have contact with her family. None of those things are available to Botham Jean and his family. Lets not lose perspective here. She's still ALIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member