GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the sentence in this case is fair, but it seems less fair because other sentences we hear about are so unfair.

Some examples:

Many of these offenders are in their teens, twenties, and thirties. Thousands of people face exponentially more time than 10 years for non-violent crimes. So it makes this sentence seem outrageous in comparison.

But IMO, a huge sentence for AG is not the solution for this problem. It's not outrageous that AG got ten years when there are grandmas doing decades for having a small amount of pot, it's outrageous that grandmas are doing decades for having a small amount of pot!

I hope this is a step in the right direction. The justice system in this country has huge issues IMO.

"She had the power of God strapped to her right hip, and the power to use it...She has to be better than most of us because we don't have that power."

She took the life of an innocent man, and there has to be a punishment for that. Her attorney argued that she made a mistake walking into the wrong apartment — a mistake that anyone could make.

A lot of people have told me that her statement on the stand admitting she shot to kill was enough to make her guilty of murder. But every police officer when they decide to shoot, to stop the threat, shoots to kill.

I don't know if Amber Guyger is racist, but I do know this: when you share text messages with your partners that begin "I'm not a racist, but...," something racist will always follow.
Dale Hansen Unplugged: Botham Jean and Amber Guyger

Last edited:
upload_2019-10-2_23-37-50.jpeg
“If you are going to amplify the grace of Brandt Jean, then you better amplify the voice of his mother who said only a few minutes after that, that we need to continue to seek reform of the Dallas Police Department,” Suleiman said. “We do not see forgiveness and accountability in contradiction.”

Gregory Demus, an African American health care worker from Dallas, stood watching the protest. As a teenager, he says he was pulled over for driving under the influence, but he hadn’t been drinking. Now 52, he says he was pulled over last month.

“Nine cops showed up because I had a taillight out?” Demus said. “He wanted me to sit down in the wet ground on the floor. I said ‘no, I’m not going to sit on that wet curb. I’ll stand right here in the car in front of you with your officer watching me.’ They treat you bad, the Dallas Police Department does.”

Addressing reporters Wednesday evening, Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall ordered a review of incidents brought up by the trial.

She says she was concerned by testimony during the trial that police officers had tampered with evidence, including shutting off a video camera inside the police vehicle transporting Guyger after the shooting.

"I acknowledge that there are things that we need to change, there are areas of concern that we need to address, and I pledge that we will make those changes,” Hall said.
'No Justice:' At Dallas Rally, Outrage Over Amber Guyger's 10-Year Prison Sentence

“Over 37 years, I have seen so many cases, I have long stopped trying to guess what a jury would do and I have learned to accept their judgment,” District Attorney John Creuzot said, adding he expected a longer sentence.

Jean’s mother Allison Jean said the trial exposed corruption within the Dallas police department, stating it has “a lot of laundry to do” and adding she believes Guyger was either trained poorly or applied her training improperly.

“That should never, ever happen again,” she said. “If Amber Guyger was trained not to shoot in the heart, my son would be standing here today.”
Ex-Dallas cop Amber Guyger sentenced to 10 years in prison in neighbor's death | Gephardt Daily

I am just going to comment on this before I go. What the son did was amazing and remarkable. What mom (or affectionately, GG) did was also remarkable. She could have used her time for justified hate or for anger - she asked for 28 years for the death of her son and did not get it. She could have said many hateful things and noone would have blamed her. Instead, she very appropriately pointed out areas she saw that needed change. That woman could have incited riot on the spot and she did not. I see tremendous grace and strength in that. I also see a Mama Tiger. That's what my kids call me. She is not leaving Dallas without a call to action for legitimate concerns she saw in the process of her son's investigation. She owed that to Botham and to any other victims. I could see why Bo called her GG. She was not leaving without standing for the cause and seeking improvement. Does that mean she is at a different place? Maybe, but I do not think so. If Amber needed a meal and place to stay tonight, I believe the Jean's would help. But they also stand for what is right. I believe you can do both.

I have learned alot from this family today and I am humbled to have witnessed their grace, strength, and faith.

“One of the most calming and powerful actions you can do to intervene in a stormy world is to stand up and show your soul.”

~ Clarissa Pinkola Estes

I assume she was. I meant IMO it’s not a good look before, during or after a trial and handing her a bible personally blows my mind. She could have went out of the cameras sight and shared that seemingly compassionate moment.

Why is it "not a good look"? AG isn't some psychopath. It was a dreadful and deadly mistake. She's not a danger to anyone. Ten years is a LONG time, in spite of those who think otherwise. In what universe is it bad for a human being (the judge) to exhibit compassion in such an instance? Why are we (humans) even born if not to live up to the highest spiritual principals?

I didn't watch this trial. Just caught bits of news here and there. Came here and read the last two or three pages so started watching the sentencing. I don't see any "justice" here and I'm so dissatisfied with our system. Prison is for two things: to remove the dangerous and revenge/punishment. She isn't dangerous and this sentence accomplishes nothing. It's not enough for the vengeful and too much for someone who made a tragic mistake. Nothing can make any of it right or bring back Mr Jean. IMHO, a better sentence would have been 10 years of house arrest with community service and allowing her to work. I base that on her not being a danger, making a mistake, being remorseful and her reputation as being a giving, thoughtful and helpful person to others. I'm sure that won't be a popular opinion here.

She will be eligible for parole in five years, after serving half of her sentence.

As video of the dramatic hearing circulated online, critics blasted the judge, saying her hug was inappropriate for the jurist overseeing the case.

Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot, a former trial judge, called Brandt’s embrace of Guyger “an amazing act of healing and forgiveness that is rare in today’s society … especially for many of our leaders.”

If Jean’s 18-year-old brother “can heal and express healing in that fashion, in his words and in his deeds, I would hope that the greater community, not just Dallas but all of Texas and all of the United States, could gain a message from that,” he told reporters.

Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson issued a statement saying he would “never, ever forget the incredible examples of love, faith and strength personified by Botham, Brandt and the entire Jean family.”

The marchers chanted “No justice, no peace; no racist police” and “Amber alert!”
Slain man’s brother, judge hug ex-cop sentenced to 10 years – Boston Herald

I think the sentence in this case is fair, but it seems less fair because other sentences we hear about are so unfair.

Some examples:

Many of these offenders are in their teens, twenties, and thirties. Thousands of people face exponentially more time than 10 years for non-violent crimes. So it makes this sentence seem outrageous in comparison.

But IMO, a huge sentence for AG is not the solution for this problem. It's not outrageous that AG got ten years when there are grandmas doing decades for having a small amount of pot, it's outrageous that grandmas are doing decades for having a small amount of pot!

I hope this is a step in the right direction. The justice system in this country has huge issues IMO.

Add to that the opposite where malevolent predators - usually rapists - are allowed to walk because they have "bright futures" ahead of them.

smh

She will be eligible for parole in five years, after serving half of her sentence.

As video of the dramatic hearing circulated online, critics blasted the judge, saying her hug was inappropriate for the jurist overseeing the case.

Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot, a former trial judge, called Brandt’s embrace of Guyger “an amazing act of healing and forgiveness that is rare in today’s society … especially for many of our leaders.”

If Jean’s 18-year-old brother “can heal and express healing in that fashion, in his words and in his deeds, I would hope that the greater community, not just Dallas but all of Texas and all of the United States, could gain a message from that,” he told reporters.

Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson issued a statement saying he would “never, ever forget the incredible examples of love, faith and strength personified by Botham, Brandt and the entire Jean family.”

The marchers chanted “No justice, no peace; no racist police” and “Amber alert!”
Slain man’s brother, judge hug ex-cop sentenced to 10 years – Boston Herald

I wonder if the critics thought the judge hugging Allison Jean was inappropriate too.

upload_2019-10-3_1-59-36.jpeg
Speaking from the headquarters of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) in Saint Lucia on Tuesday, OECS Director General Dr. Didacus Jules expressed mixed emotions surrounding the verdict.

“The tragedy of Botham’s death struck the core of our community, not only in Saint Lucia but throughout our region and in the Diaspora.”

“While we acknowledge this sliver of justice that was served today, we continue to mourn with Botham’s family the loss of a promising son of our soil,” Dr. Jules commented.

“We wish to make it clear that our small size or perceived ranking in global affairs should not lead to false assumptions or conclusions about the strength of our resolve and determination in the fight for justice,” Prime Minister Gonsalves asserted.
OECS director general expresses "mixed emotions" on Botham Jean trial verdict - St. Lucia News Online

Some examples:

I agree with all this.

The sentencing inflation since the 80s is crazy and achieves nothing except over crowded prisons.

But what I also think, is that the disparity between favoured defendants - e.g Huffman for example, sends a message to everyone else that sentencing is unfair

Well lady, it seems to be within the range that all three attorneys on here sort of felt was appropriate.

I think maybe based on similar levels of culpable conduct in other cases.

I don't feel it's injustice. She will forever be a convicted murderer.

I am OK with the sentence.

Indeed before mad sentence inflation, 10 years was typical for murder in NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members