GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still find her story 100% unbelievable

There is no way she could have thought it was her apartment

I believed her story, super tired, long day, maybe she had been working another job or OT. (Which was never addressed in court). But the fact that she was so trigger happy to kill someone in a heartbeat, before double checking anything...or why not call for backup?

Scary. She should never be allowed to have a weapon again.

I believed her story, super tired, long day, maybe she had been working another job or OT. (Which was never addressed in court). But the fact that she was so trigger happy to kill someone in a heartbeat, before double checking anything...or why not call for backup?

Scary. She should never be allowed to have a weapon again.

I agree with you

I think it will be difficult for her to prove her life was in danger-
she stormed into his apartment with a gun in her hands- he was unarmed-
he was watching TV-- he had no time to react to be a danger, and her
lie that he was charging her
has no basis in fact-- to the best of my recall
his body was closer to the couch than the apartment door- she is fortunate
she didnt get a stiffer sentence

BBM
Yes THAT lie was horrible.
THAT lie was like killing him twice.
Along with her calling her boyfriend instead of doing compressions on Bo.
Prosecution pointed out she had gunshot wound aides in her LE gear pack.Right there.
She paced & cried in the hall for HERSELF. Crying to the paramedics about herself.
The lower sentence, Bo’s brothers gesture, judge hugging her were mercy in its purest form.
Now this. She has learned NOTHING.

MOO

I think this appeal is messed up for a couple of reasons.

First, I don't fault her attorneys for doing what they are trained to do under the laws in the state of Texas. It's also AG's right to file an appeal and have it heard in court but I really question her argument.

AG was initially charged with manslaughter after she fatally shot BJ when he was sitting in his own apartment eating ice-cream, but she was later indicted on murder.

A Manslaughter charge meant AG acted recklessly.

(Murder carries a sentence of up to life in prison. Manslaughter, which is a second-degree felony, carries a sentencing range of two to 20 years).

AG's appeal requests that the court acquit her of murder, and convict her of criminally negligent homicide, and remand the case for a new hearing for her punishment.

Overall, punishment in most states ranges from six months to 10 years for a negligent homicide conviction BUT in Texas, criminally negligent homicide is considered a state jail felony - punishment between 180 days and two years in a state jail and to pay a fine of up to $10,000.

AG was a trained police officer.

She claimed her training caused her to act in self-defense.

That's not negligent homicide! That's simply arguing for a lesser sentence in the state of Texas.

No!

Date set for Amber Guyger's appeal of murder conviction in death of Botham Jean | wfaa.com

BBM
Yes THAT lie was horrible.
THAT lie was like killing him twice.
Along with her calling her boyfriend instead of doing compressions on Bo.
Prosecution pointed out she had gunshot wound aides in her LE gear pack.Right there.
She paced & cried in the hall for HERSELF. Crying to the paramedics about herself.
The lower sentence, Bo’s brothers gesture, judge hugging her were mercy in its purest form.
Now this. She has learned NOTHING.

MOO

Criminal thinking at it's finest. INMO, any Criminal who is guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt, and files an appeal, should get double time if they lose the appeal. Wishful thinking.

I am curious why you don't believe her story-

I don't believe her story based on my own experience of living in apartments for the last 20 years.

I agree it is possible to go to the wrong floor. Like I've done this distracted walking up stairs, or pushed the wrong button in the lift for example. But here's the thing.

You very quickly learn to identify/navigate based on visual clues more than on numbers. So i recognise my own floor based on the outward appearance of neighbours doors. Doormats, signs, shoes at the door, kids toys, flower etc. I recognise my own door similarly at a distance. My doormat is distinctive. You see this stuff every single day and it is just second nature.

So I agree it would be possible to mix up just with generic doors but his was not generic. There is no way she could not have realised it was not her door.

so why do you think she went into his apartment?

Personally I think that is for her to explain in a convincing way, but its not relevant to the murder.

If I were a juror, I would have found she intentionally entered the wrong apartment, shot him dead without lawful justification, and then proceeded to try to cover up what she did.

I believed her story, super tired, long day, maybe she had been working another job or OT. (

RSBM - i can only believe it if she was super drunk or wasted.

It's simply not believable that you don't notice the bright red doormat when you don't have one. I have gone to the wrong floor on the odd occasion and that is how you instantly recognise you are in the wrong place.

The first thing that happens is you look around and then you will notice everything about the floor is incorrect.

I walk past my own doormat at least 2x per day. I know I don't have a bright red one.

Personally I think that is for her to explain in a convincing way, but its not relevant to the murder.

If I were a juror, I would have found she intentionally entered the wrong apartment, shot him dead without lawful justification, and then proceeded to try to cover up what she did.
Huh? So you think AG was intentionally stalking BJ - pushed open his door and shot him dead because she felt like it? It makes no sense for this police officer to act as you describe. The jury that heard all the evidence did not conclude this either. MOO

Huh? So you think AG was intentionally stalking BJ - pushed open his door and shot him dead because she felt like it? It makes no sense for this police officer to act as you describe. The jury that heard all the evidence did not conclude this either. MOO

I don't believe it was possible for her to enter the wrong apartment without realising it, due to the red doormat.

The prosecutor did not believe it either. She knew it was not her apartment.

One of the problems with this case is the lack of quality police investigation

I don't believe it was possible for her to enter the wrong apartment without realising it, due to the red doormat.

The prosecutor did not believe it either. She knew it was not her apartment.

One of the problems with this case is the lack of quality police investigation

I don't think that equates to intentionally pushing open a door and killing a man on the couch.
I'm really not understanding your argument here because AG was in fact convicted of murder.

Nonetheless, there are several reasons why AG probably didn't notice that she was on the wrong floor or that the doormat was the wrong color.

Guyger moved into the South Side Flats complex about a month before the shooting, he said. [..] Botham's apartment was on the fourth floor, in one of the darker portions of the U-shaped corridor.

How did Officer Amber Guyger get into Botham Jean's apartment? Here's what we know

I don't think that equates to intentionally pushing open a door and killing a man on the couch.
I'm really not understanding your argument here because AG was in fact convicted of murder.

Nonetheless, there are several reasons why AG probably didn't notice that she was on the wrong floor or that the doormat was the wrong color.

Guyger moved into the South Side Flats complex about a month before the shooting, he said. [..] Botham's apartment was on the fourth floor, in one of the darker portions of the U-shaped corridor.

How did Officer Amber Guyger get into Botham Jean's apartment? Here's what we know

From this article, "Guyger had just finished a FIFTEEN HOUR SHIFT".

My point exactly. Why are people who have lethal weapons working 15 hours straight? Because of the money in Overtime. The police union keeps that "Holy Grail". Heck, I have seen police officers retirement pay well over six figures.

That loser resource officer at Parkland HS, was able to retire with over $8,000 a month!

Let’s just call it what it was IMO.
She was sexting with her supervisor Rivera as she backed her truck into a primo parking space on the wrong level. The State pointed out several things she should have alerted to... making her way to the wrong unlocked apartment with the red rug.
Yes every unfortunate thing within that few moments were in fatal alignment.
But she was ,once again ,given another chance coming up to that odd door lock and realizing there was activity inside ...to not proceed but retreat, call for back up.

First day of Amber Guyger's murder trial focuses on her relationship, sexual texts with police partner
Guyger was on the phone with Rivera as she drove home, and after she entered the parking garage in her white Dodge pickup she pulled over to continue the conversation, Hermus said. At 9:55 p.m., the call ended.
At that point, Jean had "less than three minutes to live," Hermus said.

MOO

I am simply saying i do not believe her version.

I find her version has zero credibility and too many coincidences. She happens to get the wrong floor. She happens not to notice she is parked on the wrong level. She happens to not notice the red doormat. She put her key in to the wrong door without noticing, and it just happens to be open etc etc

I don't know what she went in - but I don't believe for one second she thought it was her apartment.

But this is old news - all covered by the prosecutor. So I will leave it there.

The Dallas Police Department’s website still listed the address of its Jack Evans Headquarters as 1400 S. Lamar St. Monday morning.

But by Monday afternoon, [URL='https://dallaspolice.net/abouts/newPoliceHeadquarters']the website and all of the department’s social media accounts had been updated
to reflect the change.

The Dallas Police Department is now located at 1400 S. Botham Jean Blvd.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/new-address-for-the-dallas-police-department-1400-s-botham-jean-blvd/287-159918b0-fd01-45ed-a1fb-7d9a8370c970[/URL]

“Hopefully this is a sign of change - change on the right path to reform,” Findley said.

Since her brother’s death, Findley and other sisters of people who’ve been killed by police formed Sisters of the Movement.

The non-profit organization is lobbying for reform in policing, pushing especially for excessive force claims to be tracked at the federal level through the Department of Justice.

“Then we have the possibility of these officers being decertified if they are found guilty and not being able to go to another county or state and get a job as a police officer again,” Findley said. “We don’t need these bad apples in the bunch.”
Sister of Botham Jean calls Chauvin verdict a victory, but says she’s still numb from brother’s death | wfaa.com

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

I knew it was coming.

Didn’t you?...

Just as Derek Chauvin adjusts to jail, another former police officer already in prison is seeking to get her murder conviction overturned.
Former Dallas Officer Amber Guyger To Appeal Murder Conviction Next Week

AG's appeal requests that the court acquit her of murder, and convict her of criminally negligent homicide, and remand the case for a new hearing for her punishment.
^^sbm

I think reporting today that AG's appeal is about to be heard is capitalizing on the breaking news cycle of justice for George Floyd: AG's appeal was both expected and filed a long time ago.

I especially don't like that it's being framed in this manner given AG is NOT requesting to be acquitted and set free. In her appeal, she's asking to be convicted of criminally negligent homicide and remanded for new sentencing.

I don't think her appeal will be successful given she was initially charged with manslaughter before she was indicted for murder.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back