TX TX - Fred and Edwina Rogers, The Icebox Murders, Houston, 23 June 1965

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Richard

Reaction score
Fred and Edwina Rogers were murdered in their home in what is still officially an unsolved case dubbed "The Icebox Murders".

On June 23, 1965, two Houston police officers forced their way into the Rogers' home after Edwina's nephew Marvin became concerned about the couple when his phone calls to his aunt went unanswered for days. Upon entering the home, police found nothing unusual but noticed food sitting on the dining room table. One officer opened the refrigerator and found what appeared to be numerous cuts of washed, unwrapped meat neatly stacked on the shelves.

The officer later recalled that he thought the meat was that of a butchered hog. As the officer was closing the door, he noticed two human heads visible through the clear glass of the vegetable bin. The heads were those of Fred and Edwina Rogers. What the officer initially thought was unwrapped cuts of hog meat were the couple's dismembered limbs and torsos. Police later discovered the couple's organs in a nearby sewer (the organs had been removed, cut up and flushed down the toilet) while other remains were never found.

Police determined that Fred and Edwina Rogers had been killed on June 20, Fathers Day. An autopsy showed that Fred Rogers was killed by blows to the head with a claw hammer. His eyes had been gouged out and his genitalia were removed. Edwina Rogers had been beaten and shot, execution style, in the head.

Police said that the bodies of Fred and Edwina Rogers were dismembered in the upstairs bathroom by a person "with some knowledge of anatomy". There was little blood in the house and it appeared it had been thoroughly cleaned after the murders.

What little blood was found led to their son, Charles Rogers' bedroom. There, police found a blood stained key hole saw, but no trace of Charles Rogers. A search for Rogers was launched and a warrant was issued for him as a material witness to the crime, but Rogers was never found.

Charles Rogers is considered the prime and only suspect in this unsolved case. He went missing on 23 June 1965 and has not been seen since. In 1975, he was officially declared dead so that the estate could be settled.

LINK:

Charles Rogers (murder suspect) - Wikipedia

Fred and Edwina Rogers were murdered in their home in what is still officially an unsolved case dubbed "The Icebox Murders".

On June 23, 1965, two Houston police officers forced their way into the Rogers' home after Edwina's nephew Marvin became concerned about the couple when his phone calls to his aunt went unanswered for days. Upon entering the home, police found nothing unusual but noticed food sitting on the dining room table. One officer opened the refrigerator and found what appeared to be numerous cuts of washed, unwrapped meat neatly stacked on the shelves.

The officer later recalled that he thought the meat was that of a butchered hog. As the officer was closing the door, he noticed two human heads visible through the clear glass of the vegetable bin. The heads were those of Fred and Edwina Rogers. What the officer initially thought was unwrapped cuts of hog meat were the couple's dismembered limbs and torsos. Police later discovered the couple's organs in a nearby sewer (the organs had been removed, cut up and flushed down the toilet) while other remains were never found.

Police determined that Fred and Edwina Rogers had been killed on June 20, Fathers Day. An autopsy showed that Fred Rogers was killed by blows to the head with a claw hammer. His eyes had been gouged out and his genitalia were removed. Edwina Rogers had been beaten and shot, execution style, in the head.

Police said that the bodies of Fred and Edwina Rogers were dismembered in the upstairs bathroom by a person "with some knowledge of anatomy". There was little blood in the house and it appeared it had been thoroughly cleaned after the murders.

What little blood was found led to their son, Charles Rogers' bedroom. There, police found a blood stained key hole saw, but no trace of Charles Rogers. A search for Rogers was launched and a warrant was issued for him as a material witness to the crime, but Rogers was never found.

Charles Rogers is considered the prime and only suspect in this unsolved case. He went missing on 23 June 1965 and has not been seen since. In 1975, he was officially declared dead so that the estate could be settled.

LINK:

Charles Rogers (murder suspect) - Wikipedia
My goodness! What a horrific case. I've never heard of it.

Communicated with his parents via of notes slipped under the door. Abusive and criminal elements regarding his parents it seems. Disappeared at dawn and returned after dark. Ties to JFK. What a creepy, creepy person. Whatever happened to him? Such a sad and unbelievable story!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I saw a UID recently that has a thread here:

TX - San Angelo, WhtMale 70-90, 966UMTX, Lived Under Multiple ID's, Mar'05

I think there is a chance this UID could be Charles Rogers. Wanted to see what everyone thinks!

The UID case is fascinating. He had no fingerprints and no teeth. Multiple fake IDs (one named Roger Smith).

Charles Rogers was a smart man and could have lived a life without detection. He lived in Houston, less than six hours from the UID.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone, I saw a UID recently that has a thread here:

TX - San Angelo, WhtMale 70-90, 966UMTX, Lived Under Multiple ID's, Mar'05

I think there is a chance this UID could be Charles Rogers. Wanted to see what everyone thinks!

The UID case is fascinating. He had no fingerprints and no teeth. Multiple fake IDs (one named Roger Smith).

Charles Rogers was a smart man and could have lived a life without detection. He lived in Houston, less than six hours from the UID.

Thoughts?
Is there a pic of Charles?? Sorry, I follow the UID case but not that of Charles.

It appears from the photos that sailor Charles has attached earlobes, and UID does not. I know old men get really long earlobes (Kirk Douglas, I'm thinking of you) but I'm not sure if they'd go from attached to unattached. I do think there is quite a resemblance.
This is interesting and I’m glad you pointed it out. Charles looks to have attached earlobes, but would you consider them a mix of both attached and detached?

Hear me out - for example, my husband has attached earlobes and they have just a small lobe, almost not there. So if I were to compare his ears to Charles, I wouldn’t think they were attached. But if I saw another person with attached earlobes I might feel differently.

Although you’re probably right, maybe we can consider his lobes were attached but big enough to sag with old age. His mother has similar lobes to the UID, so perhaps hers were similar at his age.

Hopefully I made sense here.

It appears from the photos that sailor Charles has attached earlobes, and UID does not. I know old men get really long earlobes (Kirk Douglas, I'm thinking of you) but I'm not sure if they'd go from attached to unattached. I do think there is quite a resemblance.
Crazy thought, if he destroyed his fingerprints and removed his teeth, did he detach his lobes, too? Far fetched I know, but he was very, very smart and may have considered things like that. How will they ID him? Dentals, physical features (earlobes) etc. Ya know?

Crazy thought, if he destroyed his fingerprints and removed his teeth, did he detach his lobes, too? Far fetched I know, but he was very, very smart and may have considered things like that. How will they ID him? Dentals, physical features (earlobes) etc. Ya know?
Interesting thought! The appearances (to my untrained eye) are pretty similar. I can't wrap my head around San Angelo, though. This was a very intelligent guy with travel experience, marketable skills, and was a polyglot to boot. He could have remained much more hidden in a far away foreign country. San Angelo was...quite small. My mom had a roommate from there in the mid-sixties and is still in contact with her. I'm surprised that the UID wasn't much on anyone's radar as "that reclusive old guy."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back