GUILTY TX - Haruka Weiser, 18, found murdered, UT-Austin campus, 3 April 2016 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 42m42 minutes ago
The state just said that they don't believe there's any evidence that Criner has any intellectual disabilities or mental health problems, so the defense can't ask this witness about that. The state had previously requested that all testimony about mental health be excluded.

Interesting.

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 3m3 minutes ago
Payan emphasizes that none of the items found at the crime scene or at any of the other locations were tested for DNA or fingerprints. These items included a bloodied bra, a pair of boxer shorts, and eyeglasses.

I thought it was that they couldn't use it not that it wasn't tested?

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 5m5 minutes ago
A very strong closing argument by Criner's attorney, Ariel Payan. Now the prosecution wraps up with final argument from Guillermo Gonzalez.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 1m1 minute ago
"You’re the jury, you’re going to decide: did that story help you in any way?” Prosecutors respond to Defense's comments about using the writing to "piss" the jury off.

Prosecutors say we'll hear more about the story later. For now, back to Boone.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 2m2 minutes ago
"Was Mr. Boone found with the dead girl’s property?” Prosecutor continues to ask questions to jury about different items Criner was found with--asking if Mr. Boone ever was found with the items.

Prosecutor Guillermo Gonzalez said he introduced the incredibly sexually explicit story because it showed Criner had experience with violence and rape. The defense says the prosecution introduced the story to piss the jury off.

"Nobody here said the backpack turned on the tablet. I think the common sense thing is that was that the computer was on..." Prosecutors respond to defense's tablet argument--saying Criner was using it during the time of crime.

Says computer was left on when it was in the backpack. "Where's the data? Where's one thing that they can show you that this person was doing while he was operating this computer?"

RBM this is it- this is, sort of, the smoking gun, IMO

JMO
One thing I find interesting about attorneys is in order to be a really really good one then you have to have good public speaking skills.

Unfortunately for the prosecution I think the Defense attorney is a much better speaker than this prosecuting attorney talking right now. Not sure of his name.

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 4m4 minutes ago
Gonzalez discusses tablet that defense said Criner was using at time of homicide. He says "operating system is always doing stuff." There's no data showing he was on internet or doing anything on the tablet.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 2m2 minutes ago
Calls the idea the defense has posed that Criner was actively using his computer during the time before and during the murder, “a rabbit hole. Don’t fall for it.” Gonzales belives the tablet activity came from being jostled in Criner’s backpack

Prosecutors say Criner's tablet's activity was not caused by a person using the tablet, but was caused by it jostling in a backpack The defense says the tablet activity was caused by Criner using it during the time prosecutors say he is on video.

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 3m3 minutes ago
"He said he couldn't tell if it was a USB device that was inserted that was causing that," defense now talking about previous testimony from Fuentes, I believe.

"At the end of the day, where is the evidence that something is being done to the computer?...Where is it? It doesn't exist because the computer was not being used." Now prosecutors moving on to glasses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 9s9 seconds ago
Prosecutors say the glasses were on the creek for days and that other things could cause issues with pupillar (???) distance . "They’re not even even anymore. Look at that," Prosecutor points to glasses sitting in front of jury.

Gonzalez says pupillary distance discrepancy raised by defense could be attributed to heat, weather, wear and tear, or them getting damaged from attacking a person.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 4m4 minutes ago
Gonzales reminds jurors that the difference in pupillary distance between Criner’s eyes and the glasses found near Weiser’s body could be due to sun, being moved around, disturbed, or bent

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 4m4 minutes ago
Typing fast--please excuse typos!

Prosecutors taking us back to Medical Arts now. Says one thing defense didn't show them a picture of was orange bandana. "Is that kind of important to this case? because we know, without a doubt, that that's his orange bandana." Also references selfie with glasses and bandana on

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 54s54 seconds ago
"The boxers are Haruka Weiser's?!" Prosecutors encourage jury to pull up picture. Says he doesnt even think it's boxers shown in the dorm room. Says the boxers match the patter and size of boxers found with Criner's things at LifeWorks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 58s59 seconds ago
"I'm going to talk about the defendant's personality in a minute." I wonder if we'll hear about Criner laughing during testimony yesterday...

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 57s57 seconds ago
But first, prosecutors are back to the surveillance video and the technicians. "The video is there for you guys (the jury) to look at. What they saw or their interpretation really doesn't matter."

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 3m3 minutes ago
Gonzales points out that the defense didn’t show the orange bandana during closing arguments, noted how a detective testified that selfies pulled off of Criner’s tablet show Criner wearing the orange bandana that was found in the trash can with Weiser’s possessions

We're now looking at the video from 9:20 pm on April 3, 2016. Prosecutors are pointing out bike, bandana, jacket, glasses, and backpack.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO
One thing I find interesting about attorneys is in order to be a really really good one then you have to have good public speaking skills.

Unfortunately for the prosecution I think the Defense attorney is a much better speaker than this prosecuting attorney talking right now. Not sure of his name.

BBM defense's name is Payan

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 13m13 minutes ago
Gonzalez is emphasizing importance of orange bandana. Earlier video techs said surveillance video of the suspect showed him wearing an orange bandana as he walked toward Waller Creek in the same direction as another person, who prosecutors say is Weiser.

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 7m7 minutes ago
Gonzales points out that the defense didn’t show the orange bandana during closing arguments, noted how a detective testified that selfies pulled off of Criner’s tablet show Criner wearing the orange bandana that was found in the trash can with Weiser’s possessions

The state critiques Payan’s argument that the damp & sandy boxers found in the trash can with Weiser’s possessions could be Weiser’s boxers. Gonzales notes that the boxers in the trash can are the same size and brand as the boxers taken from Criner’s room at Life Works

Before moving forward, prosecutors point out "a little dot" on the backpack. Says "that's important" and will get to it later. For now: "So the person that committed the murder has to have been familiar with the crime scene, with the creek?"

Says Criner was scavenging around the area and was familiar with it.

"I wish I had DNA to give you. That would have been a lot easier." "Nobody is trying to drop the ball. You would have heard evidence from them if there was some kind of secret thing."

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 39s39 seconds ago
Says he agrees with defense: the killer forced her down the path and forced her into the creek.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(There has been a lag when I receive some of the tweets today)

Gonzalez: "I wish I had DNA evidence to give you. It would be a lot easier." Recall that Judge Wahlberg tossed it out over DPS not following standard operating procedure for testing.

“I wish I had DNA to give you, that would be a lot easier,” Gonzales tells the jury. Note: the judge threw out DNA evidence in the case before this trial started because of a procedural error in analyzing it at the DPS lab

"I don't know what happened at the crime scene. I don't have to prove that to you." Prosecutors now questioning that Criner wasn't strong enough. "It's kind of silly to say well he couldn't have done it. Look at this picture of him, he's got thin arms. Really?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prosecution says the bra found at the scene was the same size and type of bra that Weiser would wear. Defense says because no DNA was taken from the bra, the prosecution can't prove it was Weiser's.

Prosecutor says witness is the same type that Weiser would wear. He also notes the witness said it was the same size.

"What I saw was manipulation, narcissism, and deception.” Prosecutors talking about Criner's personality combined w/what happened at Waller Creek. “I would say if you combine those traits…that’s a pretty dangerous, in fact, exceptionally dangerous and frightening individual.”

Ryan Autullo‏ @AutulloAAS 58s58 seconds ago
Gonzalez said Criner on the stand showed "manipulation, narcissism and deception." He disputes defense argument Criner testified honestly. Gonzalez: "That's an exceptionally dangerous and frightening individual."

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 1m1 minute ago
Gonzales says his take was that during testimony yesterday Criner exhibited , “manipulation, narcissism, & deception. “ Gonzales thinks those characteristics would be dangerous combined with what happened at Waller Creek
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 1m1 minute ago
It seems Criner’s traits which the defense calls “not planning ahead” the prosecution calls “manipulation”

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 4m4 minutes ago
Prosecution is saying that Criner is capable of manipulation, deceptiveness, critical thinking. Gonzalez: "He knows that if he acts nice and polite that a lot of people are going to feel bad for him. He’s a little bit manipulative...He’s been doing this for years."

"How many times did you hear him tell you ‘I’m weak.'" Prosecutors note they think he was trying to prove he wouldn't be able to move Weiser. However, they say he was strong enough to walk from Killeen and fend off two muggers.

"You can't walk half a block on that campus without getting hit with something that says UT." Yesterday Criner said he didn't know he was at UT until he connected to wifi. Says he was trying to lower the bar for himself.

"He's been doing this for years." Prosecutor says it's part of his scheme. They say he uses his speech impediment and acts nice to get people to do things for him. Prosecutor references police officer giving him a ride and firefighters helping him out.

State keeps pressing jury to notice what prosecutors see as Criner’s manipulative character and suggests that he’s more sophisticated and intelligent than he lets

"I'm not saying he's on honor roll." Says being enrolled in algebra and physics shows Criner is capable of sophisticated thinking.

"He's seen every bit of evidence." Prosecutors say, "he knows he needs a story because there's a storm of evidence."

Megan Menchaca‏ @meganmenchaca13 2m2 minutes ago
Gonzalez: "(Criner) knows he needs a story because there's a storm of evidence against him."

Alyssa Goard‏ @AlyssaMGoard 24s25 seconds ago
“There’s a storm of evidence pointing in his direction,” Gonzales says of Criner. State says all the evidence links to each other and calls the version of events Criner testified about “preposterous”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now watching the College of Liberal Arts surveillance video from 4/3/2016 9:20 pm AGAIN. lots of glasses, lots of surveillance video, lots of tablet operating details in these closing arguments

Molly Oak‏Verified account @MollyAndAMic 21s21 seconds ago
Watching surveillance video--night Weiser was killed. Prosecutor points out the "unique" backpack. They say, Criner said he left that at the storage room. Prosecutors say you can see Criner with this backpack once again in dashcam video from police before he went to shelter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back