TX TX - Hidalgo Co, WhtFem 23-24, UP3540, TAG Heuer watch, Reebok shoes, slvr ring w/blue stone, Aug'99

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Romulus

Reaction score
NamUs UP Case 3540

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/3540

Unidentified White female
* Found August 4, 1999 in Hidalgo County, TX
* Estimated Year of Death: 1999

no_photo.png

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 23-24 years old
* Approximate Height: 66

* Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair color brown, head hair brown

* Dentals:Dental information / charting is available

* Clothing/Jewelry:
Wearing white shirt, blue shorts, gray skirt; Blue "Reebok" tennis shoes; Gold necklace with a cross pendant, silver "Taghever" watch, silver ring with blue stone

* DNA:
No DNA information is currently available
Case History: skeletal remains found in Hidalgo County on 4 August 1999.

I get the feeling this person was perhaps playing tennis? I wish they would show pictures of her clothing. Harlingen Air Force base is nearby, so she could have been married to an airman and could have been from anywhere. Her clothing and jewelry are on the higher end of normal (Tag Heuer watches were $$$ and popular back then as were Reeboks).

Hmm. The 10 year gap bothers me for a few reasons - the UI had enough hair to decide color and Martha "may be in need of medical attention" which could signify a chronic condition.. where would a 15 yo get the money to pay for treatment? If the UI is her, where was she for those 10 years and how did she come by such an expensive watch? Also, Martha had some distinctive dentals - gaps and a pointed eye tooth, that aren't mentioned on the UI. Martha supposedly was traveling to Oklahoma, not too far from where she lived. Hildalgo is the complete opposite direction on the Mexican border. I'm not shooting it down completely (you never know what people get up to!), but I think it would be a long shot.

Wondering if anyone can see the Namus exclusions list? The public-view MP record hasn’t been updated in over two years.

Hidalgo County is on the Mexican border. I wonder if the victim is Mexican?

The more expensive watch and trendy shoes could indicate that the apparent victim is middle to upper middle class.

Though the deceased is identified as being 'caucasian', most Mexicans are of mixed European and Indigenous descent. Middle and upper class Mexicans tend to favor the European side of that equation.

There are also entire Mexican states where noticeable numbers of the locals of any socio economic class have largely European features. Jalisco born Mexican super star boxer Canelo Alvarez of modest economic origins is a good example.

Though few Mexicans in Jalisco have Alvarez's red hair and Irish completion, mediterranean caucasian completions, green eyes and brown hair are common there.

One possible detractor from the Mexican origin possibility is the 'cross' instead of a 'crucifix'. Catholics favor crucifixes as a cultural tradition. Then again, there are Mexican protestants and some Catholics wear crosses instead of crucifixes.

Last edited:
The timeline, location, and circumstances surrounding Julia's disappearance has me curious as to whether these are her remains. Race, age, weight, and hair color do not match, but then all of those descriptors aren't always 100% accurate either. I wish we could know a little more about her lifestyle, religious beliefs, clothing and jewelry choices, etc. which could help determine whether she's worthy of a comparison to these remains. The 5-month gap b/w Mar & Aug in Texas might explain the condition of the body when JD was discovered (i.e., skeletal, all parts recovered, measured weight).

#MP4102 Julia Garcia,
Female, Hispanic / Latino
Date of Last Contact March 15, 1999
Missing From Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Missing Age 27 Years
Height 5' 6" (66 Inches)
Weight 170 lbs
Hair Color Black
Eye Color Brown

Circumstances of Disappearance - Last seen at home in Baton Rouge, LA. She took both her children and may have gone to Mexico but there was no evidence that she crossed the border.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Julia Garcia - LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People

NamUs UP3540

Unidentified White female
Found August 4, 1999 in Hidalgo County, TX
Estimated Year of Death: 1999

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 23-24 years old
Height: 5' 6"(66 inches) , Measured
Weight: 150 lbs, Measured
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair color brown, head hair brown.

Clothing/Jewelry: Wearing white shirt, blue shorts, gray skirt; Blue "Reebok" tennis shoes; Gold necklace with a cross pendant, silver "Taghever" watch, silver ring with blue stone

Case History: skeletal remains found in Hidalgo County on 4 August 1999.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffhvcbcat
Back