TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #2 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good find! If she were WCJD you'd wonder where she went for those 2 years. It seems to be the consensus that WCJD left her home in Rockport and was murdered not too long after, but anything is possible

I looked very thoroughly in Mary's case because I have thought for a long time that she could be Arroyo Grande Jane Doe. In some pictures it looks like Mary has a tooth gap like AGJD, but that could also be the light. I would be amazed (and very sad) if Mary turns out to be WCJD. All three of them have to go home soon.

Quick questions for those more knowledgeable on the subject than me.....

What percentage of certainty or likeness does the match have to be for them to claim that it is a tentative match?
Once that decision is made, what further steps are taken to prove or disprove the match?

This article gives some insight into Mary's family.

Attachments

• mrclipThe_Daily_Review_Tue__Apr_4__1978_ (1).pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 27
Quick questions for those more knowledgeable on the subject than me.....

What percentage of certainty or likeness does the match have to be for them to claim that it is a tentative match?
Once that decision is made, what further steps are taken to prove or disprove the match?

Oh, boy. These are good questions, but there are no concise answers because every case is unique and handled differently, and there are exceptions. But, here goes: I think in terms of considering potential matches, unless there is a ton of dissimilarities, investigators will usually compare them, but that's just my take on things. I know when I've made suggestions to NamUs, if they weren't sure if a missing person had been compared to a set of remains, they passed it along to investigators to let them decide/handle it.

Here's an article I found which may help with question two.
Forensics, DNA Fingerprinting, and CODIS | Learn Science at Scitable

Oh, boy. These are good questions, but there are no concise answers because every case is unique and handled differently, and there are exceptions. But, here goes: I think in terms of considering potential matches, unless there is a ton of dissimilarities, investigators will usually compare them, but that's just my take on things. I know when I've made suggestions to NamUs, if they weren't sure if a missing person had been compared to a set of remains, they passed it along to investigators to let them decide/handle it.

Here's an article I found which may help with question two.
Forensics, DNA Fingerprinting, and CODIS | Learn Science at Scitable

Thank you for sharing that’s good stuff. Definitely helps in understanding the DNA approach. I was under the impression that the analysis this decision was based off of was not dna related? Is that correct?

AB genes were used, I make sure to warn ahead of time not always accurate.

please answer my question...how do you know she was a wanderer.....and further more...what made you think Mary could be a match....?

please answer my question...how do you know she was a wanderer.....and further more...what made you think Mary could be a match....?

When I conducted a genealogical search with some help of NamUs, it brought me some rules outs. I compared the AB genes to some of the genealogical matches, and it eliminated all but one.

I'm thinking Mary is ruled out because she does have DNA in the system. It's not 100% guaranteed it's been compared, but most likely has been. That's why I always tell folks when it doubt, submit, but NamUs is replying with canned responses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove