Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #4 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> As far as rather they have any DNA evidence on the killer, the very last thing the Doenetwork mentions on her profile is the testing of DNA on her shoes and what was found has never been reveled to the pubic. That is usually a sign that what they found could lead to the identification of the perpetrator. Similar to the letter sent to law enforcement in 2002 about Penny Doe.

Just adding in the blurb about the shoes on WCJD's DN page:

"The sandals found near her body were reportedly sent to be tested for the presence of DNA, although no additional details have been released."

I interpret this as it probably didn't turn up anything notable for DNA, because they can still identify Doe's killers without them being ID'd (thinking of Bitter Creek Betty/Sheridan Jane Doe and Shirley Soosay before ID/Westlake Jane Doe having their killers ID'd), so they don't need her identity to confirm her killer. But I do hope they found something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread got shut down before I was able to post!

Family probably saw older sketches and the Aransas thing and didn't think it was her.

I don't blame them for wanting their privacy. This was probably one of the most followed UIDs ever.

So glad she has been identified! I was about to give up hope. Very pleased that they were actually doing genetic genealogy.

Last edited:
Also i am wondering there are seemingly more cases where the names are not released compared to a few years ago.
I am afraid it has to do with people on the internet increasingly witchhunting families and relatives once a name is released.
The families are getting very cautious now and i think also LE tells them to keep quiet.
For us it is disappointing but in reality it is none of our business...

I have no idea if this is the case with WCJD's family, but I feel like they probably didn't realize UIDs were a "thing". I feel like we, as a community, think a lot more people know about John and Jane Does than actually do. Or they thought she was still alive. Or maybe they were looking at Does and really didn't think it was her because as Carl said, she wasn't from Texas and they may have just looked in her state.

I don't know if we will ever get to see living photos of her, but if we do, I wonder how they will compare to the many sketches. I wonder if maybe the beating WCJD suffered had warped the appearance of her face more than we think. :(

@Springrain
I never gave unidentified remains or postmortem photos/reconstructions any thought until a post about Marcia King, then Buckskin Girl, randomly popped up in my social media. So, you have a point.
I also imagine it would be scary for the family of a missing loved one to go looking on line, for fear of stumbling on pictures and articles they might not want to see.

@Springrain
I never gave unidentified remains or postmortem photos/reconstructions any thought until a post about Marcia King, then Buckskin Girl, randomly popped up in my social media. So, you have a point.
I also imagine it would be scary for the family of a missing loved one to go looking on line, for fear of stumbling on pictures and articles they might not want to see.
There should be decency laws to prohibit, or at least limit post mortem pictures. With the technologies available to us today, excellent renderings of the decedent can be created. We need to protect their dignity in death.
MOO.

Amateur opinion and speculation

@Springrain those photos of WCJD post mortem that all over the web will have been the toughest for her family. The post embalming, not much better, as her features are Mannequin-ized to be presentable for the funeral. JMO.

I'm assuming at this point they have to have seen the PM photos, and like you said I imagine it's very rough for them. The post embalming one might even be worse, since I imagine her features were even further warped, by the embalming process, decomp, makeup, etc. I guess I really had not thought before about how, all things considered, she might not look like what we expected. Maybe the beating genuinely did warp her face so much that her family wouldn't be able to recognize her from the PM photos. I didn't think they were that graphic, but I am now starting to wonder if the swelling she suffered made her unrecognizable.

@Springrain

Since we as a community tend to spend a lot of time reading about the Unidentified and interacting with others who do I feel like it's very easy to forget that so many people, most people, are just unaware of it entirely! That's why social media outreach is so important imo. If not directly for solving a case via having a relative see a recon and saying, "Oh, that looks like Abigail, she ran away from home in 1976" (I'm making up details), even though that's ideal, it may also lead to missing people being put in NamUs, relatives of MPs submitting DNA to GEDMatch, etc.

I personally found out about the Unidentified in the most random, completely coincidental and weird way, I imagine many of us have had similar experiences!

There should be decency laws to prohibit, or at least limit post mortem pictures. With the technologies available to us today, excellent renderings of the decedent can be created. We need to protect their dignity in death.
MOO.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I can see both sides of the debate to prohibit or limit PM photos. I personally don't have definitive feelings on the topic in general, but for the very graphic ones, I see no need to post them "for identification purposes" and I find it very disrespectful. A great example of this, imo, was the PM photo of Evelyn Colon, fka Beth Doe, going around Instagram. It was supposed to be for ID purposes, but she was, imo, not recognizable. She had had her nose cut off, she was decapitated (granted, they didn't show that in the photo, but still), she had her ears cut off, and she had been a bit decomposed. I see no reason why that should ever have been public. For ones with less severe injuries or may have died of natural causes, I can see the benefit, but there are also cons of doing so - as you said, it is preferable that they have dignity and not have images of their dead bodies forever on the Internet. But, if the recons are lacking, it can sometimes be the best thing. I don't know. And then there is the fact that when/if the UID gets identified, those photos are still up - the Internet is forever. Typing in Marcia King, Tammy Jo Alexander, Debra Jackson, Margaret Fetterholf, etc. brings up photos of them in life, but also in death, because again, the Internet is forever. And now they are not necessary for identification purposes any longer. I don't know. I feel like it's a tough subject for sure, but I definitely think they should be limited if not necessary or too graphic (I will always say Evelyn Colon's photos should not have been made public).

I can see both sides of the debate to prohibit or limit PM photos. I personally don't have definitive feelings on the topic in general, but for the very graphic ones, I see no need to post them "for identification purposes" and I find it very disrespectful. A great example of this, imo, was the PM photo of Evelyn Colon, fka Beth Doe, going around Instagram. It was supposed to be for ID purposes, but she was, imo, not recognizable. She had had her nose cut off, she was decapitated (granted, they didn't show that in the photo, but still), she had her ears cut off, and she had been a bit decomposed. I see no reason why that should ever have been public. For ones with less severe injuries or may have died of natural causes, I can see the benefit, but there are also cons of doing so - as you said, it is preferable that they have dignity and not have images of their dead bodies forever on the Internet. But, if the recons are lacking, it can sometimes be the best thing. I don't know. And then there is the fact that when/if the UID gets identified, those photos are still up - the Internet is forever. Typing in Marcia King, Tammy Jo Alexander, Debra Jackson, Margaret Fetterholf, etc. brings up photos of them in life, but also in death, because again, the Internet is forever. And now they are not necessary for identification purposes any longer. I don't know. I feel like it's a tough subject for sure, but I definitely think they should be limited if not necessary or too graphic (I will always say Evelyn Colon's photos should not have been made public).

I think that money can be unfortunately be a factor as well with regard to reconstructions/sketches. It is probably just cheaper to upload the PM photo for many underfunded departments, especially those with a lot of UIDs (like NYC, LA).

My hunch is that they did not look at post mortem photos.....Let's face it, would you? They might have looked at some recons (probably the old ones, not Carl's) and read about Aransas and moved on and never thought about WCJD again.

I think the pre-embalmed photo probably looks alot like her. Her chin goes in because of ligature, but I get the impression this was a very life-like photo. I do wonder if the waitress ID'd her from the embalmed photo?

I do feel that WCJD had curlier hair than the sketches, but who knows.....

ETA: I just looked at Tammy Jo's post-mortem. Her nose appears incredibly small in the photo. In real life, she had a decent sized nose. The good news: The internet is now flooded with beautiful pictures of the real Tammy Jo.....

Last edited:
My hunch is that they did not look at post mortem photos.....Let's face it, would you? They might have looked at some recons (probably the old ones, not Carl's) and read about Aransas and moved on and never thought about WCJD again.

I think the pre-embalmed photo probably looks alot like her. Her chin goes in because of ligature, but I get the impression this was a very life-like photo. I do wonder if the waitress ID'd her from the embalmed photo?

I do feel that WCJD had curlier hair than the sketches, but who knows.....

I meant more so because if they googled "Walker County Jane Doe", because they probably did, it would be in the top results. It'd be hard to avoid if they were reading about her anywhere. But yes, personally if I was related to someone who was just discovered to be a Doe, I would want to see post-mortem photos (provided they weren't extremely bloody/graphic). I don't think that would be that uncommon.

I still feel that they probably didn't know what Does even were. Most people just don't. We do, so it seems obvious to us, but it is just not on most people's radar. If they had known about them and looked for Jane Does, they probably looked in the state she was from (i.e. not Texas) and knew she wasn't any of them. But I suspect that they probably didn't know about the unidentified decedent community.

I believe the waitress and other witness ID'd her from the morgue photos, not the embalmed photo, but don't quote me on that.

I always thought the morgue photos probably looked life-like, but I'm starting to doubt that a bit. I know a lot of recons portrayed her with full pouty lips, but it's thought that they may have looked like that due to swelling from the facial beating she suffered. Maybe the beating made the rest of her face swell and look fuller/rounder. IDK. Maybe she really did look different.

I put full faith in Carl's recons because he's worked so darn hard on them!

One difference though is her hair. It appears very curly. (I merged one of Carl's faces onto her post mortems)

BTW: A bit off topic...She is white, non-Hispanic...just to put that it to rest..

Attachments

• Publication22.jpg
    Publication22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I put full faith in Carl's recons because he's worked so darn hard on them!

One difference though is her hair. It appears very curly. (I merged one of Carl's faces onto her post mortems)

BTW: A bit off topic...She is white, non-Hispanic...just to put that it to rest..

I think Carl either way has done a FANTASTIC job of his many recons of her, for sure! I just think it is possible that the swelling may have warped the appearance of her face post-mortem. I guess we will have to wait to see if any photos of her are released.

I also wonder about the emphasis that has been placed around asking directions to Ellis Prison. Loved ones that stumbled upon this UID at the time could have easily dismissed this being her thinking that their young daughter, sister, ect would not have a connection to a prison in Texas so it must not be her....
To receive this news after 40 years, devastating.

Very pleased to see find out that the girl known as walker county jane doe murdered 41 years ago has finally been identified. I've never posted in this thread before but I've been following it for years.

You got to understand the family's wishes for privacy and time to mourn. However as a sleuther this comes out as bittersweet. No information which agency that worked her case, no publicity or press conference about the resolution and neither a photo or a name of her as a living person. It's like she never even existed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bands0408