Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #5 - Sherri Ann Jarvis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is hard to say whether method or geography would be the killer's MO.
A truck driver can kill all over the country.

Debra Jackson's (Orange Socks) death seems the most similar to me. Both killed on Halloween. Both nude and discarded off the interstate.

We also have a Bexar County Jane Doe who was discarded a few miles from "truck stop row" at the I-10/410 interchange. I'm pretty sure she was picked up at a truck stop

She was murdered on Halloween 1990. However, she was fully clothed.

TX - TX - San Antonio, WhtFem 18-26, 70UFTX, floral blouse & red shorts, "Cantu" written on cuff, Nov'90

(The Websleuths thread gets off track to a woman with the name Cantu who disappeared around the same time Bexar County Jane Doe was found. BCJD had the word Cantu on her shorts. The other Cantu was much older and was found in Frio County)

Last edited:
We also have a Bexar County Jane Doe who was discarded a few miles from "truck stop row" at the I-10/410 interchange. I'm pretty sure she was picked up at a truck stop

She was murdered on Halloween 1990. However, she was fully clothed.

TX - TX - San Antonio, WhtFem 18-26, 70UFTX, floral blouse & red shorts, "Cantu" written on cuff, Nov'90

(The Websleuths thread gets off track to a woman with the name Cantu who disappeared around the same time Bexar County Jane Doe was found. BCJD had the word Cantu on her shorts. The other Cantu was much older and was found in Frio County)

I'm a little off topic here, but speaking of the surname Cantu ...

The surname Cantu in Mexico originates from Giuseppe Cantu, who was one of the early Spanish pioneers of the city of Monterrey in the 1600's

I'm learning from my work with the Ventura Jane Doe, that in Northeastern Mexico and Southern Texas, the surname Cantu is as almost as ubiquitous as the names Smith and Jones in the USA. I've seen ancestral lines where a Cantu marries a Cantu, and their children, marry Cantus, and their grandchildren also marry Cantus. I've seen similar lines with Trevinos and Garzas. With all that endogamy, it is a huge mess trying to sort out the genealogy.

Strangely, in Los Angeles, where I live, the name Cantu is very rare, since the majority of Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles originate from the Pacific side of Mexico

Arroyo County Jane Doe is a similar age, and was found so soon after her murder as well. If a trucker, or someone highly mobile, killed Sherry moving from Henderson/Vegas to Huntsville in the course of 3-4 weeks isn't a stretch at all.

I'm a little off topic here, but speaking of the surname Cantu ...

The surname Cantu in Mexico originates from Giuseppe Cantu, who was one of the early Spanish pioneers of the city of Monterrey in the 1600's

I'm learning from my work with the Ventura Jane Doe, that in Northeastern Mexico and Southern Texas, the surname Cantu is as almost as ubiquitous as the names Smith and Jones in the USA. I've seen ancestral lines where a Cantu marries a Cantu, and their children, marry Cantus, and their grandchildren also marry Cantus. I've seen similar lines with Trevinos and Garzas. With all that endogamy, it is a huge mess trying to sort out the genealogy.

Strangely, in Los Angeles, where I live, the name Cantu is very rare, since the majority of Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles originate from the Pacific side of Mexico

Running into the edogamy a lot in the Allenstown MC's lineage, too.

I believe that there are at least three other cases connected to Sherry's based off information that LE has put out, although it seems that, based off the location Sherry's body was found, there could also be a connection to the Texas Killing Fields.

I have said it before and I will say it again - I do not believe that this was Sherry's killer's only offense, nor do I believe it was their first. The brutal and heinous manner in which Sherry was raped, murdered and thrown on the side of the road like trash leads me to believe that this was someone who knew what they were doing. People don't just start off with this monstrous type of crime, there is almost always a "lead up" of sorts with other violent and antisocial behavior prior to a perp getting to this level of depravity.

LE should not only be looking into other unsolved rapes and murders from this time frame - I believe they should also be looking into domestic violence type cases as well. I don't want to get too into other cases on this thread, but look at the rap sheet of the Waukesha parade killer prior to the unspeakable things he did on Sunday - domestic violence, assault with a deadly weapon, strangulation and suffocation, making terrorist threats - exactly the type of rap sheet and/or collection of crimes that I believe Sherry's killer also has. If we are thinking about this type of profile here, the more this guy - and likely, Sherry's killer - believed they were getting away with things, the more brazen and reprehensible their crimes became.

There's no way there isn't some sort of "testing the waters" type of crime that this perp committed - I cannot logically see Sherry's manner of death being perpetrated by a first time killer/rapist/abuser.

It does make sense,I also believe that who ever did this,did it before...many times...it was a brutal murder and saw Sherry as an easy prey..
Alone,young,not familiar with the area,...maybe saw her walking with her sandals in her hand ,or heard her asking for directions,looking tired...

Here is what has been posted before: (old news clippings)
TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #3 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

Am not sure,this one was posted before,also an old newsclipping:
Slayings Investigated - Newspapers.com

If this was a random murder,Sherry being there -at the wrong time -at the wrong place-picked up by the wrong person,..I doubt her killer will be arrested...

But maybe..,because there were eyewitnesses,who came forward and recognized her,after her body being found,could also be because she ‘stood out from the crowd’ by asking directions,being very young,her appearance,etc etc.

And now, someone remembers,triggered by her public picture/ identity was made,called it in and LE can crack the case...
I truly hope so,who ever did this to all the woman,young girls,well have no words for how cold and heartless IT is.
Imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question:
Does anyone know,if it was common that an inmate was transferred to another prison?
The reason,I ask ,is because of the newsclipping,originally dated 07 Jun 1981, is about a prisoner in the Travis County Jail
"I got a call from a prisoner in the Travis County Jail who said he knew a street person who might be the girl," Boutwell said. "I brought him up here, he viewed the body, but he said it wasn't the girl.”
Clipping from Austin American-Statesman - Newspapers.com

Just a question:
Does anyone know,if it was common that an inmate was transferred to another prison?
The reason,I ask ,is because of the newsclipping,originally dated 07 Jun 1981, is about a prisoner in the Travis County Jail
"I got a call from a prisoner in the Travis County Jail who said he knew a street person who might be the girl," Boutwell said. "I brought him up here, he viewed the body, but he said it wasn't the girl.”
I don’t know how common specifically, but I do know that it did happen especially as people were either released from prison and re-offended or caused problems in prison that led them to be transferred to another unit.

Just a question:

An FYI: The article is not about Sherry, but is about Orange Socks who was found a year earlier on I-35.

Sounds like they got a generic lead from a Travis County jail inmate.

He knew a "street person"...which really isn't much of a lead...
Maybe he knew this person and had not seen her for awhile and was concerned about her...

They took him to view Orange Socks body, but Orange Socks was not the "street person" that this inmate knew.

Is her name spellt as 'Sherri' or 'Sherry'?

"Sherry" has so many spellings, I've lost track. I don't know too many other names which have so many variations.

An FYI: The article is not about Sherry, but is about Orange Socks who was found a year earlier on I-35.

Sounds like they got a generic lead from a Travis County jail inmate.

He knew a "street person"...which really isn't much of a lead...
Maybe he knew this person and had not seen her for awhile and was concerned about her...

They took him to view Orange Socks body, but Orange Socks was not the "street person" that this inmate knew.
Thanks, yes I am aware that the article was about Debra aka
"orange socks"
Thought maybe the inmate wondered, why Sherry never made it,to visit him and he thought, that the person who was found might be Sherry, instead the victim was Debra.

So maybe, the inmate was (in the mean time) transferred from Ellis prison to Travis County jail?

ETA:
From my point of view: -I do think the description of both Sherry and Debra are similar.Both brunettes,same eye colour and about the same age.
Only Debra aka Orange socks was found a year,before Sherry...

Last edited:
I am from the UK so I don't have any knowledge of this,but do Colorado and Texas have a big presence of horse ranches?. Sherry's family said she loved horses and I wonder if she travelled to these places maybe thinking she could find work as a stable hand or similar?.

Re her killer,if not a trucker maybe a prison guard who happened upon her walking along his route either to or from work. Do prison guards carry batons?
To answer your question, yes, there are a lot of horse & cutting horse ranches in Texas.

"orange socks"
Thought maybe the inmate wondered, why Sherry never made it,to visit him and he thought, that the person who was found might be Sherry, instead the victim was Debra.

So maybe, the inmate was (in the mean time) transferred from Ellis prison to Travis County jail?

ETA:
From my point of view: -I do think the description of both Sherry and Debra are similar.Both brunettes,same eye colour and about the same age.

Arroyo County Jane Doe has also been identified. There is discussion in her thread of a press release soon. Her autopsy measured her at 5 ft 2 and 103 lbs. Also believed to be a teenager, like Sherry, and another brunette, maybe sandy blonde. IF this is a killer with a type, and some bizarre fascination with October, I would personally link all 3. JMO!

"orange socks"

ETA:

I hope a follow-up interview is possible with this inmate now that Sherry has been identified. There are similarities between the murders of Sherry and Debra but significant differences in age and possibly circumstances. Sherry was only 14 while Debra was 23. Debra was an adult when she left home in 1977. She did hold a job at a large hotel as well as a real estate company and health organization. It is possible she was homeless near the time of her murder. I wish more was known about Debra. Did she have friends? What was her mental status? Did she have any educational impairments. Did she suffer from any addictions? I do know she used other surnames. One was "Moon" which could be a clue. The name on her gravestone is (Lenard?) not Jackson. There was some male DNA. Hopefully with advances will be tested. I do see the offer of jobs helping with horses as a high possibility to attract victims. So many similarities but a difference in chronological age.

In a thread this long-standing, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but - have we considered that Sherry did get to where she was going that night? Assuming that she wasn't headed for the prison and was instead using it as landmark for a residence nearby, is it possible she did make it to said residence and met her fate there? Perhaps the timeline doesn't allow for it, but I think there's maybe some value in branching away from the idea that she was picked up and murdered by a trucker or driver. It's the most likely answer, but there might be something valuable to be gained from considering other possibilities. Does any of the evidence indicate she was assaulted/killed in a vehicle?

(This may be glaringly obvious - I'm not as up to date as everyone else.)

In a thread this long-standing, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but - have we considered that Sherry did get to where she was going that night? Assuming that she wasn't headed for the prison and was instead using it as landmark for a residence nearby, is it possible she did make it to said residence and met her fate there? Perhaps the timeline doesn't allow for it, but I think there's maybe some value in branching away from the idea that she was picked up and murdered by a trucker or driver. It's the most likely answer, but there might be something valuable to be gained from considering other possibilities. Does any of the evidence indicate she was assaulted/killed in a vehicle?

(This may be glaringly obvious - I'm not as up to date as everyone else.)

If you go back and read it seems the most likely.

Where she was found: A local would probably not dump a body on the interstate access road. There are plenty of good hiding places in and around Huntsville. (Lots of swamps and stuff like that) A body could be hidden for weeks, months or years or forever.

How her body was found: Appeared to be dumped from a high object such as a truck because there was no evidence of dragging. She was completely nude which would imply a trailer. Shoes were dumped, because they would not have evidence unlike shoes in a car would have evidence (Trucking rule requiring all passengers remove footwear when they enter the truck..I read the trucking footwear rule in Websleuths post by a trucker)

If you go back and read it seems the most likely.

Where she was found: A local would probably not dump a body on the interstate access road. There are plenty of good hiding places in and around Huntsville. (Lots of swamps and stuff like that) A body could be hidden for weeks, months or years or forever.

How her body was found: Appeared to be dumped from a high object such as a truck because there was no evidence of dragging. She was completely nude which would imply a trailer. Shoes were dumped, because they would not have evidence unlike shoes in a car would have evidence (Trucking rule requiring all passengers remove footwear when they enter the truck..I read the trucking footwear rule in Websleuths post by a trucker)

That’s strange because my husband is a trucker and I’ve been on the truck many times and have never removed my shoes. Unless it is an old rule. He’s only been a trucker for a few years now. But I think he’s known an older man who used to go trucking. My Uncle was also a trucker and has never mentioned this. I will come back after I confirm it though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth
Back