Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
someone in this thread nicknamed WCJD "Ruthie Doe" which is a big more dignified.

Hector702, this is the first time I've heard about the Roach man. Any idea where I can read more about this?
I think he was the owner of one of the places she went to. He was mentioned in some of the old comments, first name is Bobby. I don't remember if he was just there at the time or if he spoke to her because the only comments I have ever read are the ones she made to the waitress at the Hitchin Post.

I think he was the owner of one of the places she went to. He was mentioned in some of the old comments, first name is Bobby. I don't remember if he was just there at the time or if he spoke to her because the only comments I have ever read are the ones she made to the waitress at the Hitchin Post.

I think he was the one who gave her verbal directions to the prison. I think she got lost (Hitchin' Post is not on the way to the prison from Gulf Oil), and that's why she had a map drawn for her at Hitchin' Post.

I think he was the one who gave her verbal directions to the prison. I think she got lost (Hitchin' Post is not on the way to the prison from Gulf Oil), and that's why she had a map drawn for her at Hitchin' Post.
Stating the obvious, the key to identifying this young girl is to figure out who she was going to see at the prison. As I stated upthread, perhaps the prisoner in question had been moved, died, etc. Or, if she were underage and pregnant (?) he didn't want to reveal himself.

OR, perhaps it was someone who *worked* at the prison? Perhaps it was someone who didn't want to claim this child for whatever reason. I think familial DNA is going to solve this, and I hope it has been submitted for that purpose.

I was talking to my husband last night about the trip we took to Port Aransas several years ago and how long it took us to drive there. I mapped it out this morning on google and if you go from Aransas Pass to Huntsville (traveling north on I-45 once you get to Houston) its about a 4 hour drive. The witnesses stated she looked like she slept in her clothes. It might have taken her more than one day to find her way up to Huntsville yet no one mentioned her having a bag or any other belonging other than what she was wearing. Did she over estimate the time it would take to get there? Was she robbed along the way? Did she leave a bag with someone while she went in to get directions? If the Hitchin Post was a truck stop would it be open all night? Unless she had somewhere to stay already lined up I am surprised she wouldn't have spent as much time as possible there since she couldn't visit the prison until the next morning. The other thing that bothers me is her clothing. Why not toss it out with her? Why just the shoes? I have found many cases in the area where girls were found dumped with little or no clothing but still wearing jewelry. The jewelry would have been worth something whereas the clothing is basically worthless (except as a trophy). The thing about her wearing high heels to be "sexy" bothers me. It could have been a ploy to make herself look older since she tried to claim she was 19. Minors likely wouldn't be allowed to visit prisoners without an adult. Maybe she had been there before but only knew the name of the place and not how to get there.

I was talking to my husband last night about the trip we took to Port Aransas several years ago and how long it took us to drive there. I mapped it out this morning on google and if you go from Aransas Pass to Huntsville (traveling north on I-45 once you get to Houston) its about a 4 hour drive. The witnesses stated she looked like she slept in her clothes. It might have taken her more than one day to find her way up to Huntsville yet no one mentioned her having a bag or any other belonging other than what she was wearing. Did she over estimate the time it would take to get there? Was she robbed along the way? Did she leave a bag with someone while she went in to get directions? If the Hitchin Post was a truck stop would it be open all night? Unless she had somewhere to stay already lined up I am surprised she wouldn't have spent as much time as possible there since she couldn't visit the prison until the next morning. The other thing that bothers me is her clothing. Why not toss it out with her? Why just the shoes? I have found many cases in the area where girls were found dumped with little or no clothing but still wearing jewelry. The jewelry would have been worth something whereas the clothing is basically worthless (except as a trophy). The thing about her wearing high heels to be "sexy" bothers me. It could have been a ploy to make herself look older since she tried to claim she was 19. Minors likely wouldn't be allowed to visit prisoners without an adult. Maybe she had been there before but only knew the name of the place and not how to get there.

IMO when you add everything up...

-Not having any extra provisions with her
-Not having appropriate footwear for walking long distances
-Not knowing prison visitor policy
-Not even having researched where specifically the prison is located
-Arriving in town far too late for visiting hours

... you get a strong feeling that this was a very ill-considered plan on her part.

IMO when you add everything up...

-Not having any extra provisions with her
-Not having appropriate footwear for walking long distances
-Not knowing prison visitor policy
-Not even having researched where specifically the prison is located
-Arriving in town far too late for visiting hours

... you get a strong feeling that this was a very ill-considered plan on her part.

I agree. I think she underestimated the journey.
My friend did something similar back in the 80s when we were about 16 or so. She got all gussied up in high heels and hitchhiked to her BF's house about 1.5 hours away to surprise him one Saturday morning. She planned to stay a few hours and hitch back. It took her all day to get there, she ended up walking a good portion of it because no one picked her up. I can't remember if she called her parents for a ride or if the bf's parents took her home, but I know she didn't hitch back.

Btw, was pregnancy eliminated? It makes sense that some prisoner wouldn’t claim knowing her if she were underage and pregnant.

What were attitudes generally like in the US at that time? Here in the UK paedophilia/hebephilia and relationships involving underage individuals weren't really on the radar or taken anything like as seriously as they are now.

What were attitudes generally like in the US at that time? Here in the UK paedophilia/hebephilia and relationships involving underage individuals weren't really on the radar or taken anything like as seriously as they are now.
I would agree that in 1980 there wasn't the heightened awareness or vigorous approach to dealing with the scourge of pedophiles as there is today. Alot was swept under the carpet, and that is why we hear of so many people coming forward today from abuse that transpired decades ago. We have plenty of celebrity examples of rock star types with children 13-14 years old, but if I mention their names it will turn this thread in to a S-storm. So yeah, alot got swept under the carpet in the U.S. as well, and still does to a degree today.

There are plenty of missing girls who were 17 and married when they went missing.
In regards to being pregnant, they would have found that at the autopsy. I haven't seen anything to suggest she was pregnant unless the police kept that a secret.

(First of all, hi everyone!)

Does anyone know when they started gathering DNA from convicted criminals in Texas? After reading most of this thread, I felt she might have wanted to look up a long-lost father or brother in prison. But then I figured that if that was the case they probably would have found a DNA match. Unless they died or got out before they started the DNA program.

I don’t think whomever she was going to visit knew she was coming. Her entire trip doesn’t seem well-planned, more like she decided to go in the spur of the moment and completely underestimated the trip.

I agree that it doesn’t really make sense for her to leave the Hitchin’ Post so quickly when it was already late and well past visiting hours at the prison. Does anyone know if they looked into criminals who got out or paroled around that time? Maybe she wanted to get to the prison because the person she was meeting up with was being released. It could explain why she kept going regardless of the time and why no one /inside/ the prison knew her?

Does anyone know when they started gathering DNA from convicted criminals in Texas? After reading most of this thread, I felt she might have wanted to look up a long-lost father or brother in prison. But then I figured that if that was the case they probably would have found a DNA match. Unless they died or got out before they started the DNA program.

I don’t think whomever she was going to visit knew she was coming. Her entire trip doesn’t seem well-planned, more like she decided to go in the spur of the moment and completely underestimated the trip.

I agree that it doesn’t really make sense for her to leave the Hitchin’ Post so quickly when it was already late and well past visiting hours at the prison. Does anyone know if they looked into criminals who got out or paroled around that time? Maybe she wanted to get to the prison because the person she was meeting up with was being released. It could explain why she kept going regardless of the time and why no one /inside/ the prison knew her?
I think the police would have looked at any one released that day or the day before when no one in the prison admitted to knowing her. I wonder if they questioned prisoners in other units? I think the person who killed her wasn't connected to the prison and just happened to stumble across her at some point in her journey.

this makes sense... release is usually around midnight or early morning. and unfortunately they didn't start taking DNA anywhere until the late 90's I believe.

I think the police would have looked at any one released that day or the day before when no one in the prison admitted to knowing her. I wonder if they questioned prisoners in other units? I think the person who killed her wasn't connected to the prison and just happened to stumble across her at some point in her journey.
Respectfully, I wouldn't assume this. Record keeping has improved since 1980, but even today there are all sorts of record goof ups. We have a long way to go with accurate and timely law enforcement records, and most especially how they are nationally and internationally connected. Back in 1980 the majority was manual, so who knows what shape those records are in.

Yes that would Springrain,she gave her that name.
I don't think "Walker County Jane Doe" is a bad choice; it's descriptive geographically if nothing else. That said, these nicknames if you will, *are* important. "Buckskin girl" is a perfect example. Her case got a lot of attention just because of that jacket and the moniker.
So the old adage of "what's in a name" really does mean something. If I were going to give this child a moniker (and I do believe her to be a child of 14 and maybe even younger), I would call her "Bluebonnet Doe" as that is the Texas state flower. And sadly, this child was born on earth, to bloom in heaven. : (

I don't think "Walker County Jane Doe" is a bad choice; it's descriptive geographically if nothing else. That said, these nicknames if you will, *are* important. "Buckskin girl" is a perfect example. Her case got a lot of attention just because of that jacket and the moniker.
So the old adage of "what's in a name" really does mean something. If I were going to give this child a moniker (and I do believe her to be a child of 14 and maybe even younger), I would call her "Bluebonnet Doe" as that is the Texas state flower. And sadly, this child was born on earth, to bloom in heaven. : (
I think ‘Ruthie’is a good name,I told Springrain that if it ended up being her real name that it would be very creepy,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesireeMoonstone