Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or that her report was never taken by LE in the first place? Or taken, but later purged when she turned 18..? Tammy Jo comes to mind.
Yes. I have also read an account where the missing date was wrong because the family didn't report until a year later. Maybe her family thought she might be back by Christmas so they waited to contact LE or kept putting it off thinking she would reappear.
I have also been thinking about another sad case. A girl was picked up from a group home by her father who intended to kill her. He told her to say he wasn't coming until the next day then had her sneak out that night. He raped her to make it look like she had been killed by someone else but they eventually matched his DNA because they noticed how close it was to hers.

Yes, go with your guts. The worst thing that could happen is a rule-out, which again drive us closer to solution (hopefully).

Someone a few months ago mentioned that NamUs had fixed its challenges with the various DNA, and was operating with a new algorithm which meant that the different types of DNA wasn't really a problem anymore, but this isn't the case after all? Unfortunately, I can't remember which thread it was, or exactly who said it, other than it was a well-known and respected member; that's why I remembered it in the first place.

It was me repeating what I'd been told by a Namus person when I called to try to clarify the situtation. I got a lot of reassurances (which you explained quite well :)) but no details on what they had done to deal with things like mtDNA versus nucDNA and whether older cases would be redone to fit the new standards. I guess it was mostly "trust us"...so I guess we'll see.

Barbara Bruno has been proposed so many times I find it hard to believe that she hasn't been ruled out.

Yes. I have also read an account where the missing date was wrong because the family didn't report until a year later. Maybe her family thought she might be back by Christmas so they waited to contact LE or kept putting it off thinking she would reappear.
I have also been thinking about another sad case. A girl was picked up from a group home by her father who intended to kill her. He told her to say he wasn't coming until the next day then had her sneak out that night. He raped her to make it look like she had been killed by someone else but they eventually matched his DNA because they noticed how close it was to hers.

good lord which case as this? yea im sure that's the reason he raped her. poor thing.

I wonder how hard they tried to track down the owner of the car? They probably talked and he might have even known a name even if it was just her first name. It also bothers me that the waitress asked her all these questions but not her name.

I wonder how hard they tried to track down the owner of the car? They probably talked and he might have even known a name even if it was just her first name. It also bothers me that the waitress asked her all these questions but not her name.

I would have asked her name because I'm nosy, but still, even if she had been asked, she might not have given her real one.

They tried pretty hard but it occurs to me there are a lot of channels now that weren't even dreamed of in 1980. I wonder if a big social media blitz like "Were you the driver who gave a ride..." might locate the person.

if the driver was middle aged in 1980, they might not be alive to ask nearly 40 years later...
But it is entirely possible that car is sitting in a barn since they died. Might be possible to check for evidence to rule out the driver being the killer.

No DNA at that time so they probably didn't even think to do anything. It was suggested the shoes undergo DNA testing but I don't think that has been done either.

The hose weren't stuffed in her mouth. They were used to stop blood and body fluids from leaking out after the rape and murder.
I remember that now. I hope the killer is still alive and has to pay.

Are there any newspaper articles from the time online? Did they every try putting up billboards? I'm curious how public the search was. Did they ever find anyone else who gave her a ride? Maybe someone down the line that saw her at a restaurant or gas station?

Sure wish we had a picture. From the description, it's hard to say whether they were sexy, casual, or dressy. "Red leather high-heeled sandals, 3" or 4" inch platforms with light brown straps" could be anything. I always pictured a wedgie or espadrille type. That's what I would have worn with jeans, if I remember correctly.

By 1980 platforms were starting to be out of style, weren't they?
I have some speculation on that. I think if you Google Cherokee Platform Sandals, those were still being worn in 1980. I also think that because she was carrying them and not wearing them, they could have been either A. Not hers, but borrowed or B. A hand me down from an older sibling or friend. Also, 3-4 inch platforms are not comfy, but the wedge or platforms with the solid heel were at least walkable. My step mom had quite a few pairs of them, and she walked 5 miles to work in them. I was given a pair of Candies sandals and was not allowed to wear them, but that was another brand that year. So I think judging by this girl's age, she was either not supposed to be wearing them or someone gave them to her. Depending on how long she had been gone from her parent's home(if she had one), she also could have been preyed upon by a pimp who got them for her. And she might have been in the foster care system, which would explain not being missed. I can't believe anyone, no matter how dysfunctional of a family, would just never pass the word around that "Jane" never came home at one point. Totally moo.

I have some speculation on that. I think if you Google Cherokee Platform Sandals, those were still being worn in 1980. I also think that because she was carrying them and not wearing them, they could have been either A. Not hers, but borrowed or B. A hand me down from an older sibling or friend. Also, 3-4 inch platforms are not comfy, but the wedge or platforms with the solid heel were at least walkable. My step mom had quite a few pairs of them, and she walked 5 miles to work in them. I was given a pair of Candies sandals and was not allowed to wear them, but that was another brand that year. So I think judging by this girl's age, she was either not supposed to be wearing them or someone gave them to her. Depending on how long she had been gone from her parent's home(if she had one), she also could have been preyed upon by a pimp who got them for her. And she might have been in the foster care system, which would explain not being missed. I can't believe anyone, no matter how dysfunctional of a family, would just never pass the word around that "Jane" never came home at one point. Totally moo.
I do not think this child was a prostitute, as nothing about her appearance or the description of her clothing would suggest that. You are right, the sandals were very popular back then, and a somewhat coveted piece of footwear for a young woman.

I'm holding on her last words (that we know of); "who cares" when asked about parents. That response seems to align with the perceived lack of interest in her disappearance. Maybe no-one did care. I could see this as a situation where maybe she was living with a mother who moved from one boyfriend to the next, and had a slew of personal problems. This child might have been extra baggage.

I predict when we do eventually learn WCJD's identity, she will be the product of a single mother who had too many of her own problems to much notice what was going on with her daughter.

Amateur speculation and opinion

I do not think this child was a prostitute, as nothing about her appearance or the description of her clothing would suggest that. You are right, the sandals were very popular back then, and a somewhat coveted piece of footwear for a young woman.

I'm holding on her last words (that we know of); "who cares" when asked about parents. That response seems to align with the perceived lack of interest in her disappearance. Maybe no-one did care. I could see this as a situation where maybe she was living with a mother who moved from one boyfriend to the next, and had a slew of personal problems. This child might have been extra baggage.

I predict when we do eventually learn WCJD's identity, she will be the product of a single mother who had too many of her own problems to much notice what was going on with her daughter.

Amateur speculation and opinion
We only have the witnesses to go by, but the report I read said her yellow top was "dirty". I was not implying she was a prostitute, but possibly someone might have tried preying on her and buying her shoes. It's sad that none of the items are photographed. And that some of them have gone "missing" from evidence.

And to me it's weird they have such a wide range for how tall she was. Didn't they measure people for autopsies back then?

I thought maybe she took them from an older relative so she would look older.

We only have the witnesses to go by, but the report I read said her yellow top was "dirty". I was not implying she was a prostitute, but possibly someone might have tried preying on her and buying her shoes. It's sad that none of the items are photographed. And that some of them have gone "missing" from evidence.

And to me it's weird they have such a wide range for how tall she was. Didn't they measure people for autopsies back then?
As far as I understood the only items they had of hers were the necklace and the shoes. The necklace was somehow lost which is strange. Maybe it was just misplaced and got stuck in the wrong box. I haven't seen that the clothes she was wearing ever turned up.

Something says she was residing within a 100 miles or closer from where she was found. If she was a traveling runaway she would have a lot more items in hand than what she had.
Aransas Pass is about 4 hours from Huntsville. Its possible she was mugged or lost a bag along the way. Perhaps it was left in the car she was seen getting out of.

Aransas Pass is about 4 hours from Huntsville. Its possible she was mugged or lost a bag along the way. Perhaps it was left in the car she was seen getting out of.

That is 4 hours straight driving time if you are hitching that time frame could potentially double to 8 or more. Waiting to catch a ride can take time sometimes the ride maybe going the opposite direction you need to go. All thou it could get you to the next truck stop where you could potentially find another ride in direction you want to go.

Even a day trip I would think she would still have essential things with her like a purse ... I never leave the house without my purse on an extremely rare occassion I may just have my pocketbook but that is a quick trip to the corner store.

Was her belongings in the car that dropped her off, was that person suppose to come back later and pick her up ... these are a few things that has been in my thoughts lately.

A new Media blitz mentioned upthread is a very good idea ... would also consider getting it out to the trucking industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503