TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After some thought, the timeline, as described by authorities, doesn't make sense.

Here's what they've said:
  • Jason's "digital fingerprint" ends at the intersection of Magnolia and Austin, at 11:24 p.m.
  • Jason stopped using Waze and opened Snapchat.
  • Jason's phone was found wedged between the seat and the center console.
  • His whereabouts from 11:24 p.m. to 12:31 a.m., when the firefighter made the call to LE, are not known.
Here's what doesn't make sense:
  • For Jason's "digital fingerprint" to disappear as it did, I imagine the only way to accomplish that is turning on airplane mode. LE seems to have gotten all of the other tower pings (or whatever it is) of his route home, having detailed the exact times he passed certain areas.
  • In either given scenario - either navigating with Waze or trying to receive/send/record a snap - it doesn't make sense to have airplane mode on.
  • Authorities said his phone was on and able to receive a signal. However, I'm not sure how they could say this, as it doesn't seem like they knew where the phone was when they towed it - it was KL who found the phone and took it with him (giving it to LE a couple of days later).
  • JL didn't take his phone when he left the accident site. If we go into the scenario that airplane mode WAS turned on, he must have turned it on and then dropped the phone between the seat and center console?
A lot of this case doesn't make sense, but this part just seems particularly puzzling to me. JL turned on airplane mode at that intersection and had the single-car accident on SFR (about 5 miles/10 minutes away)? KL said that he didn't think that JL was using marijuana while driving/inside the car - citing that there weren't any used joints or ash inside. I initially thought it highly unlikely that Waze could send him so far off-route. But this...I can't make heads or tails of this situation, with the facts as given.

I am sure this has been discussed already and I missed it - but did anyone else notice on the NG interview that the aunt/cousin (sorry can't remember the relationship) repeated more than once that the clothes were found 900 YARDS away? I'm sorry but that is a big difference and a detail that is important. Am I the only one who noticed that? No one corrected her either time, when she brought it up, and JL's dad was on the same interview.
Lol - just try getting a word in edgewise with NG! I believe every MSM including the press release from CCSO reported it correctly as 900 feet.

ETA: add CCSO link to police brief citing "approximately 900 feet from collision scene..."
Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

Last edited:
I don't remember who said it first, but I know the family member said YARDS at least twice. You would think that is a fact that the family member would be aware of, and not just repeating something NG said, or anyone else.
I'm not aware of any family member appearing except for KL. Are we talking about the same NG episode posted NG upthread? If not, please link. Thank you.

I'm not aware of any family member appearing except for KL. Are we talking about the same NG episode posted NG upthread? If not, please link. Thank you.

"Joining Nancy Grace today:
  • Kent Landry - Victim's Father, Facebook.com/FindJasonLandry
  • Shera LaPoint - Genetic Genealogist, Founder, The Gene Hunter www.TheGeneHunter.com, Twitter: @LapointShera"
I think it was stated that Shera LaPoint is the cousin. Same NG episode as previously mentioned:

Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

<moo>

After some thought, the timeline, as described by authorities, doesn't make sense.

• Jason's "digital fingerprint" ends at the intersection of Magnolia and Austin, at 11:24 p.m.
  • His whereabouts from 11:24 p.m. to 12:31 a.m., when the firefighter made the call to LE, are not known.
  • For Jason's "digital fingerprint" to disappear as it did, I imagine the only way to accomplish that is turning on airplane mode. LE seems to have gotten all of the other tower pings (or whatever it is) of his route home, having detailed the exact times he passed certain areas.
  • In either given scenario - either navigating with Waze or trying to receive/send/record a snap - it doesn't make sense to have airplane mode on.
  • Authorities said his phone was on and able to receive a signal. However, I'm not sure how they could say this, as it doesn't seem like they knew where the phone was when they towed it - it was KL who found the phone and took it with him (giving it to LE a couple of days later).
  • JL didn't take his phone when he left the accident site. If we go into the scenario that airplane mode WAS turned on, he must have turned it on and then dropped the phone between the seat and center console?
A lot of this case doesn't make sense, but this part just seems particularly puzzling to me. JL turned on airplane mode at that intersection and had the single-car accident on SFR (about 5 miles/10 minutes away)? KL said that he didn't think that JL was using marijuana while driving/inside the car - citing that there weren't any used joints or ash inside. I initially thought it highly unlikely that Waze could send him so far off-route. But this...I can't make heads or tails of this situation, with the facts as given.
Funny you mentioned airplane mode. I have turned airplane mode on by accident fumbling with the phone in my pants pocket or coat pocket and wonder why no one is texting or why I can't send a message. Duh...then I realize airplane mode is on. He may have touched it by accident fumbling with the phone as he was driving. Just a thought.

I don't believe the "find phone/friends" app KL used to locate JL's phone would work if the phone in airplane mode, would it?

I also think "no digital footprint" might mean JL used no call minutes or data for 67 minutes. I think he likely remained in the range of the last cell tower he pinged at the intersection. It's probably the strongest signal for all of Luling. Or it could also mean that JL was on SFR in a dead zone.

It happens. Following the Morphew case, we learned about reporters having to drive to hilltops to catch a signal because there's no coverage near the family's residence (which is not located in the middle of an oil patch).

MOO

ETA: According to Google - find phone/friends does not work if the phone in airplane mode, dead battery, or phone off.

Last edited:

What if he accidently hit airplane mode if he had his phone in his hand during the accident, maybe he hit the button before it flew out and when between the seats? I often have hit random things when holding my phone, not realizing I even had the screen activated and then I have to go back and undo whatever I accidently hit.

I wonder if Jason ever slept walk. I came across this story today, of Jarod Allgood, and thought of Jason. There is some deep psychological theory behind this. I won’t pretend to know anything about it, other than I used to sleepwalk as a child and into my early teens. Same with my brother. We’d do some pretty off the wall (harmless) stuff without ever being awake or remembering it.

Just a thought. I tend to think he suffered from some kind of impairment, self induced or otherwise.

Ian Whitaker Granstra

Jarod Allgood

I wonder if Jason ever slept walk. I came across this story today, of Jarod Allgood, and thought of Jason. There is some deep psychological theory behind this. I won’t pretend to know anything about it, other than I used to sleepwalk as a child and into my early teens. Same with my brother. We’d do some pretty off the wall (harmless) stuff without ever being awake or remembering it.

Just a thought. I tend to think he suffered from some kind of impairment, self induced or otherwise.

Ian Whitaker Granstra

Jarod Allgood
I think that's a distinct possibility, why not.
Placing his watch carefully with the straps out on either side and covered by a garment does sound like a bedtime routine.. sleep walking is like a trance... yes indeed, good thinking!

I wonder if JL used his phone at the intersection, drove on, then tried to read/reply to a text/Snap whatever while he was driving, dropped the phone and crashed because he was trying to read or retrieve the phone which had gotten lodged between the seat, etc.? Not that it helps find him in any way, just something that crossed my mind.

I think that's a distinct possibility, why not.
Placing his watch carefully with the straps out on either side and covered by a garment does sound like a bedtime routine.. sleep walking is like a trance... yes indeed, good thinking!
We’d get up in the middle of the night, carry on full conversations, climb up and down bunk beds, and then go right back to sleep. Had someone not been awake to tell us about it, we’d have never known.

I’ve never seen anyone have “sleep walking” listed on their death certificate anywhere. It’s kind of a bizarre but interesting theory.

I don't believe the "find phone/friends" app KL used to locate JL's phone would work if the phone in airplane mode, would it?

I also think "no digital footprint" might mean JL used no call minutes or data for 67 minutes. I think he likely remained in the range of the last cell tower he pinged at the intersection. It's probably the strongest signal for all of Luling. Or it could also mean that JL was on SFR in a dead zone.

It happens. Following the Morphew case, we learned about reporters having to drive to hilltops to catch a signal because there's no coverage near the family's residence (which is not located in the middle of an oil patch).

MOO

ETA: According to Google - find phone/friends does not work if the phone in airplane mode, dead battery, or phone off.

While "digital footprint" has been vaguely defined, i don't think it's solely based on just cell minutes. They know that he was using Waze and Snapchat. I doubt he was continuously talking on the phone at every part they've mentioned - the younger generation nowadays just doesn't do phone calls. (My sister always says that she thinks something is wrong if I call her.)

Find My Phone can still work if "Enable offline locating" and "Send Last Location" is enabled.

However, if JL's car was already at the impound yard when KL was at SFR, what signal was he querying? Does anyone know where the tow yard is in relation to the crash site? KL also mentioned driving back and forth on a parallel road before calling LE again to ask them where exactly it was - it would seem to suggest that FMP didn't give him the precise area.

We’d get up in the middle of the night, carry on full conversations, climb up and down bunk beds, and then go right back to sleep. Had someone not been awake to tell us about it, we’d have never known.

I’ve never seen anyone have “sleep walking” listed on their death certificate anywhere. It’s kind of a bizarre but interesting theory.
I've done it while drunk. I remember as a student nurse going for pinta after coming off duty with my friends, a lot of pints in a very short time and we all had to stay in a large 4 or 5 storey building, each floor looked exactly the same. In the mornings our friends would call us for duty and they would end up searching every single room in the entire building before they found my friend and I who always ended up being dropped at our correct rooms but subsequently sleepwalking to an entirely different room in an entirely different floor, no memory of the travel ever resurfaced.

MOO

You right on.. Without seeing the subpoena, I can't know for sure, but my bet is they are using Google to map and create timeline. My bet is that as JL passed through the intersection, the servers at one of those businesses tried to connect with his phone. Most people don't understand but this is happening all the time. There is an attempted handshake that is logged whether a connection is made or not. His digital footprint - as far as we know - ended at that point when there were no other digital transmissions by his phone that they have found via subpoena. In my view, there is probably additional use of the phone but at this point we can't know that. It could be as simple as a dating app or WhatsApp, etc.

I can agree with your statement but how many of those abandoned vehicles also involve personal belongings and one’s entire outfit down to their underwear and watch lying in the roadway?
Great point. Very true. I think the next question would be; What could they have done differently and how would the outcome be different? Forensic analysis on the contents? OK but we still wouldn't have that analysis back. The only thing - in my view - that would have possibly changed things is that LE and rescue could have gone into all out search mode at that point. That is a fair argument. However, it should be noted that assets, including DPS air assets and Game Wardens, did eventually make their way out and begin an exhaustive search. The radio transmissions from Deputy & DPS do show they were on the lookout for him but I can agree that maybe a little more could have been done at the moment.

I missed where KL said that about JL not using in car? I’m not doubting you just want to listen. Can you tell me where that was?

I've done it while drunk. I remember as a student nurse going for pinta after coming off duty with my friends, a lot of pints in a very short time and we all had to stay in a large 4 or 5 storey building, each floor looked exactly the same. In the mornings our friends would call us for duty and they would end up searching every single room in the entire building before they found my friend and I who always ended up being dropped at our correct rooms but subsequently sleepwalking to an entirely different room in an entirely different floor, no memory of the travel ever resurfaced.
LOL I was thinking the same thing. Drunk sleepwalking is very common and you do some really weird things! I don’t know if this occurs with smoking weed, but it’s a thought. If he were high, wrecked and fell asleep while waiting for help maybe he could have undressed and slept walked away. But where the heck would he be? He could have walked into water? Or woke up and was embarrassed to be naked and hid and then became hypothermic?

The press release qualified the statement 'believed to have no injuries' was based upon the lack of blood.
The speculation about a possible head injury was based upon his stripping of his clothes 900 feet away, having walked that long carrying what was probably a heavy enough back pack.
A brain bleed will cause a raised temperature. a brain bleed is not concussion, a person may remain conscious for quite a while after having sustained one.
It is a possibility still.

Against that is that he had the presence of mind to take his backpack, to leave the keys for the breaker yard and to take his wallet.
BUT, a brain bleed is not always apparent immediately and he engaged in physical exercise, walking, immediately, possibly, afterwards.
Vehicle was allegedly not there at 11.30pm.
WAS there at 12.30pm and the person, Jason, had already walked a significant distance.
That leaves a short enough window.

A lack of blood at a scene is an inadequate fact to qualify a lack of serious injury or a reason to not investigate more thoroughly or mount an immediate search for the accident victim.

The removal of the vehicle from the scene when it was posing zero threat to other road users, it was in a field, quite a way from the road, is a tad strange.
His ultimate destination that night is moot because he had no way to contact anybody having misplaced his phone.
A tad strange is not a standard that is used. Towing a vehicle is part of standard operating procedure. Leaving a wrecked vehicle on the roadway (Any part that is maintained is classified as roadway) is against all procedure by all LE agencies and I believe even written into the traffic code. There is no way one can convince me that leaving that vehicle there would have been the right decision. However, I will agree that maybe having CSI from DPS or SO process scene, in retrospect, would not have hurt.

Everything always leads back to, “but where could be be!?”. That’s the million dollar question. It’s frustrating. Reminds me so much of this young man. He’s gotta be somewhere! I figure he’s not far from where they’ve already searched. That terrain is unforgiving, so I know it makes the searches all the more difficult.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Drunk sleepwalking is very common and you do some really weird things! I don’t know if this occurs with smoking weed, but it’s a thought. If he were high, wrecked and fell asleep while waiting for help maybe he could have undressed and slept walked away. But where the heck would he be? He could have walked into water? Or woke up and was embarrassed to be naked and hid and then became hypothermic?
One doesn't even have to be drunk or drugged to do it.. some people are habitual sleepwalkers. I'd actually forgotten and I have not done it since those days, that I know of...
It really makes sense... get's notion, removes clothes while walking along, confident he is in his own place, it's the way he laid out his watch, the way he dropped his clothes and bag in the middle of the road as if he was really seeing a room at home.. I don't know if he habitually removed his watch before sleep, or did he imagine/dream he was going for a bath or shower.. people would remove their watches for that purpose, if not sleep... I wonder where he perceived the shower to be? I wonder whether the sound of water was audible from where he undressed?
The more I think about this the more likely it seems..
where in his apartment or home is the bathroom located if the centre of the road is his bedroom?
Left or right? Upstairs or downstairs?
Is this possible? Likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members