TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe anyone has any info, either. Imo he was alone the entire time…
I almost wish it might be otherwise for a chance of info coming out…
Jmo

Tips don't necessarily have to come from during the time frame he went missing. There can be tips from hours/days/weeks before that day that can help them determine what might have happened, and why he was out there in the middle of the night when his parents weren't expecting him that evening.

Has there been any information regarding whether a fence warrant was granted?

I found the following linked information explaining a GEOFENCING WARRANT valuable. I believe the difficulty here might be the cart/horse theory.

In my opinion, I think there has to be credible evidence that a crime was committed and/or occurred on Salt Flat Rd, Luling, TX - on the late evening of Dec 14, 2020, to obtain a Geogencing Warrant. However, since the user identities are initially protected, maybe there's a loophole here but I don't know. MOO

GEOFENCING WARRANTS

I found the following linked information explaining a GEOFENCING WARRANT valuable. I believe the difficulty here might be the cart/horse theory.

In my opinion, I think there has to be credible evidence that a crime was committed and/or occurred on Salt Flat Rd, Luling, TX - on the late evening of Dec 14, 2020, to obtain a Geogencing Warrant. However, since the user identities are initially protected, maybe there's a loophole here but I don't know. MOO

GEOFENCING WARRANTS
I wonder if a Public Information request being denied because it was a "criminal" investigation would be enough to get a geofence warrant? Anyone?

I wonder if a Public Information request being denied because it was a "criminal" investigation would be enough to get a geofence warrant? Anyone?
I dunno but that (FOIA) seems pretty week for probable cause. I think limiting/denying public information for a mysterious disappearance is probably out of an abundance of caution in the event new, (criminal) information becomes available. MOO

Last edited:
I dunno but that (FOIA) seems pretty week for probable cause. I think limiting/denying public information for a mysterious disappearance is probably out of an abundance of caution in the event new, (criminal) information becomes available. MOO
Agree… but *hypothetically* wonder if a denial of a FOIA for criminal cause is a legal denial.

I looked at all the tanks along Salt Flat Road and most look like newer closed top tanks, but there were a few older tanks with open tops. They don't even look like the floating roof version. They appear to be mostly small well pump tanks. I don't know exactly where he crashed, but I did note some small ponds. Wonder if they have been searched?

Did some additional looking from road level. Some tanks appear to be newer and active, some look to be abandoned. They are all small privately owned tanks coupled to rocking horse well pumps. It would take a couple of days to investigate all these tanks to see if he fell in.

Did some additional looking from road level. Some tanks appear to be newer and active, some look to be abandoned. They are all small privately owned tanks coupled to rocking horse well pumps. It would take a couple of days to investigate all these tanks to see if he fell in.
Curious @Trackergd , how is a SAR dog affected by the smells in the area? Luling is known to have intense smells from the oil fields. Article for reference. H2S is a gas with a strong odor you can't always smell - Eagleford Training

Too much time and weather has passed to expect a scent trail to survive. Strong smells and gasses do affect the dogs abilities.
They should have brought in a Bloodhound the day the car was found. That does not look like a high production area, so I doubt there is too much in the way of overwhelming smells.

Edited to add: Depends on which direction the wind is blowing. I lived in Texas for 3 years and have been around some of those wells and storage tanks.

Always amazed me how un-controlled those were back in the 70's, oil leaking out of piping and tanks. Some tanks open on top.

Last edited:
Question: If he fell into a tank, would someone be able to see his body if they looked into the tank with a flashlight, or would it be covered by the contents of the tank?
I don't know the exact constituents of the oil tanks, but I think despite the slight density change between oil and water a body would still float in oil when decomposition starts that gas release within the body cavities. It's possible that a 7-month old body would be beyond that point where it still has cavities that can contain gases and would start skeletonizing/adipocere formation, but I feel that even if that happened, the body would still float. I've seen a few pictures of people who fell in sewage/waste treatment plants (where I'm assuming the density would be similar to that of oil) and the bodies all floated to the surface.

Too much time and weather has passed to expect a scent trail to survive. Strong smells and gasses do affect the dogs abilities.
They should have brought in a Bloodhound the day the car was found. That does not look like a high production area, so I doubt there is too much in the way of overwhelming smells.

Edited to add: Depends on which direction the wind is blowing. I lived in Texas for 3 years and have been around some of those wells and storage tanks.

Always amazed me how un-controlled those were back in the 70's, oil leaking out of piping and tanks. Some tanks open on top.
Thank you for answering me. I do know they brought in dogs, but I am not sure exactly when or what type.

Curiously, do you know what type of dogs prisons normally have and how they are trained? I understand they are sometimes called in on searches like this.

In this case, there were two different reports of where the scent went. One was 1/4 mile down the road, and another was to the pond,
and abandoned house. Here is the story that showed investigators were not sure if the dogs were picking up on Landry's scent, which is baffling to me. Would mean not very well-trained handlers, correct?

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays
from the article linked:

Asked about earlier reports of dogs picking up a scent at an abandoned home near the crash site, Miller said canines brought in to search the area were “going back and forth” between the abandoned house and a pond that was later drained and searched, without finding Landry. But investigators are not certain the canine was picking up on Landry’s scent, because a deputy and a trooper had checked the same house just after the wreck was discovered.

For many reasons I am going to assume that dogs were not brought in right away but specifically because if they had been Kent Landry would not have been the one to find his son's clothes in the middle of the road the next morning. Why weren't dogs brought in immediately? Is this a failure?

rsbm
For many reasons I am going to assume that dogs were not brought in right away but specifically because if they had been Kent Landry would not have been the one to find his son's clothes in the middle of the road the next morning. Why weren't dogs brought in immediately? Is this a failure?
The article you linked kind of alludes to this. It was only after Kent Landry got there early in the morning, finding the phone in the car and the clothes on the road, that LE realized it was more than just another abandoned car and that they were in fact dealing with a potentially endangered missing person. They may have used those clothes from the road for scent, but it's not known if other items from the car (did he bring any other clothes?) were available for that too.

Oh this made my heart hurt yet brought a smile.….This is from the family page.
————
Many of the people that follow this page haven't had the opportunity to actually get to know Jason. But I thought I'd share a video that he made that we got off of his phone. As many of you know, Jason was working to get into the Sound Recording Technology program at Texas State. As part of that process, he had to make a video introducing himself to the music school professors. Anyone who has had to make a similar video knows how difficult it can be to get it right. So we found a bunch of practice attempts on his phone that just made us laugh and smile. So enjoy Jason and I hope that it makes you smile, too.

Thanks for sharing @diggndeeperstill.

Not to take away from the moment, but it sounds like they were finally able to unlock and access Jason's phone. I wonder if they were able to find any other information that might provide insight or clues to the hours leading up to JL's drive that night and the discovery of his car on Salt Flat Road.

Thanks for sharing @diggndeeperstill.

Not to take away from the moment, but it sounds like they were finally able to unlock and access Jason's phone. I wonder if they were able to find any other information that might provide insight or clues to the hours leading up to JL's drive that night and the discovery of his car on Salt Flat Road.

That's exactly what came to my mind. I wonder if LE will ever give an update regarding this on MSM (or anywhere, actually).

Oh this made my heart hurt yet brought a smile.….This is from the family page.
————
Many of the people that follow this page haven't had the opportunity to actually get to know Jason. But I thought I'd share a video that he made that we got off of his phone. As many of you know, Jason was working to get into the Sound Recording Technology program at Texas State. As part of that process, he had to make a video introducing himself to the music school professors. Anyone who has had to make a similar video knows how difficult it can be to get it right. So we found a bunch of practice attempts on his phone that just made us laugh and smile. So enjoy Jason and I hope that it makes you smile, too.

At least he was wearing pants as we saw when he leaned back from the camera. Not everyone dresses below the waist for videos/Zoom meetings thinking below the waist won't be seen! LOL

Thanks for sharing. It was nice to hear his voice and see his wonderful smile. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway