TX- Jocelyn Nungaray,12 strangled, left under bridge. Houston June 17, 2024

"Laying her to rest

During Thursday's celebration of life service,
one of Jocelyn's favorite songs,
'Coney Island Baby', flowed through the crowded room
as a slideshow of her life played.

The song is from the 1960s and way before her time,
but it fit Jocelyn's eclectic music tastes.

Stories emerged about Jocelyn and her sister making slime together and watching sunsets,
reminding the room of a life lost too soon.

Her great-aunt broke down in tears,
but she stirred some laughs when she talked about Jossy's love for books.

'Jossy loved to read.
Anytime we were at Walmart or any store,
that girl would try to beeline for the book section all day, every day',
she said."

Rest in Peace.

You may be correct. There are slick ways to side step the kidnapping charge. JN is not here to offer her side of the story. It appeared she went willingly with them at first. Perhaps they offered to walk her home. Once under the bridge, their true intent came to light. The creeps can say anything they want. They will try to say she was there willingly and that they thought she was older. In the end, I believe evidence will expose their lies and justice will eventually be served.
I’m not excusing them by absolutely by any stretch and what they have allegedly done is abhorrent. Girls these days do look so much older and the fact she was out alone at midnight I do wonder if they thought JN was older.
They were here illegally shouldn’t have even happened at all

I’m not excusing them by absolutely by any stretch and what they have allegedly done is abhorrent. Girls these days do look so much older and the fact she was out alone at midnight I do wonder if they thought JN was older.
They tied her up, raped her, and then strangled her. WHY would it matter if they thought she was older? It doesn't matter how old she looked.

I think people are simply trying to comprehend how this horrific thing could have happened. Their possible perception of her age is irrelevant though, since there are plenty of monsters who are attracted to young girls and are driven to violate and kill them.

The idea of older or younger is not a point to discuss. Even if a woman in her twenties went to the bridge with these monsters, she would not have been any less a victim even if she had agreed to do something for money. At some point when the situation moves from consensual (in the case of an adult or sex worker) to having someone restrain you---- it is a crime, plain and simple. The monster said he was going to finish what he started. And he did.

Sometimes here we discuss that a person was beautiful or pretty. Again the issue is not what one looks like. These crimes are not sex crimes but crimes of power over that are focused on taking someone's choice of consent away.

Plenty of crimes of power over happen to people everyday with people who are citizens and non-citizens.

At any rate, they will spend the rest of their lives in prison, on death row or gen pop.

I ache for Jocelyn and any other victims of these types of crimes. The terror and last person they saw is haunting.

We have seen a few 12 yr old victims in past few days. I've always worried about the safety of 11/12/13 yr olds because it is such a vulnerable age as they are just becoming old enough to have a little freedom. I used to let my middle schoolers walk to the corner market, ride their bikes or skate board around, walk our dog, etc.

But with that freedom, they are still little kids in terms of experience and usually have very little street smarts. They want to be full fledged teens and feel grown up, so they will answer a stranger who asked for directions , or make small talk with an older teen, because they want to feel in control, etc. But they are still babies in many ways. :(

Her obituary and service make her seem like such a sweet and caring girl, just coming to terms with herself. May this beloved girl rest in eternal paradise.
Girls these days do look so much older and the fact she was out alone at midnight I do wonder if they thought JN was older.
IMO the photos of JN at the convenience store make her look maybe 15 at the oldest. She was a little thin and appeared fresh faced, still very much a child to me. I can imagine her perhaps telling them her age when they started to get hostile with her, as a means to leave her alone. Something I would do at her age. MOO

One of the roommates told police he was watching the news with the two men when he saw the images. The roommate texted his cousin in Laredo, saying he couldn't talk about it out loud as Peña and Martinez-Rangel were in the room with him and would hear him. The cousin reached out to HPD and the roommate made an excuse to leave the apartment and was picked up by police.

The night before Jocelyn was killed, June 16, the roommate told police he was not yet living with the men. He said he had gone out for food with them and went home at around 10 p.m., but Peña and Martinez-Rangel had stayed out. When he got home, he learned his landlord was kicking him out. The next day, the two men invited him to stay with them and help pay rent. He saw the news report on June 18.

According to court documents, another man was living in the apartment - the boss of one of the accused. The boss told police Peña had confided in him on June 19 that the two "had made a mistake after partying on Sunday night and had hurt someone," the warrant reads.

One of the roommates told police he was watching the news with the two men when he saw the images. The roommate texted his cousin in Laredo, saying he couldn't talk about it out loud as Peña and Martinez-Rangel were in the room with him and would hear him. The cousin reached out to HPD and the roommate made an excuse to leave the apartment and was picked up by police.

The night before Jocelyn was killed, June 16, the roommate told police he was not yet living with the men. He said he had gone out for food with them and went home at around 10 p.m., but Peña and Martinez-Rangel had stayed out. When he got home, he learned his landlord was kicking him out. The next day, the two men invited him to stay with them and help pay rent. He saw the news report on June 18.

According to court documents, another man was living in the apartment - the boss of one of the accused. The boss told police Peña had confided in him on June 19 that the two "had made a mistake after partying on Sunday night and had hurt someone," the warrant reads.

Good on those roommates. Did the right thing at, I imagine, some significant risk.

This rash of crimes against kids has me doing that sad, hard thing that many do, I suspect -- counting the ages of one's own children and finding new ways to worry all over again. Jocelyn was clearly a very special young woman. This is a cruel one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back