Deceased/Not Found TX - Julie Gonzalez, 21, Austin, 26 March 2010 *G de la Cruz Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Continuing coverage.

Witness: Bleeding Julie Ann Gonzalez tried to call for help
http://kxan.com/2015/04/21/closing-arguments-may-come-tuesday-in-de-la-cruz-trial/
In 2013, the witness said De La Cruz was “venting” one day — reportedly almost in tears — and felt bad about having an altercation with a girl he had a child with. De La Cruz told him the argument was about “a guy she was talking to” and that the fight was about her interest in another guy, the witness told the jury. Hesitant and crying, the man revealed that De La Cruz told him about a physical fight with Gonzalez — where Gonzalez fell, hit her head and was bleeding. The witness said De La Cruz told him that Gonzalez tried to call for help but that he tried to stop her.

“I know she was knocked out, and he freaked out,” said the witness on the stand.

Even with those details, the witness admitted his memory about specifics of the conversation has faded. He also told the jury that he had arranged a meeting with detectives on this case through his attorney, and he has been given no benefits or leniency in exchange for his testimony. In fact, he pointed out that this process has been more of a setback than a gain for himself.

Jailhouse conversations, digital footprint, and mother's grief close out De La Cruz trial
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/28861559/george-de-la-cruz-trial
De La Cruz claims Gonzalez left his home alive and ran off to Colorado with her lover. A communications expert for the prosecution testified he was able to tracked Gonzalez's cell-phone everywhere except the rocky mountain state and the digital footprint prosecutors argue leads straight to De La Cruz.
<snip>
The phone activity is critical to the circumstantial evidence case. Prosecutors say De La Cruz used Gonzalez's phone to send text messages and social media postings making it seem she was still alive.

The case is expected to go to the jury Wednesday morning.

Chris Sadeghi @chrissadeghi
Five hours into deliberations, jury has a second question in #DeLaCruz deliberations.

Chris Sadeghi
@chrissadeghi

·
There are 2 counts for murder in charge. Jury decides if criteria met for either/or to arrive at guilty. If it meets neither = not guilty.

Judge Brown says jury disputing whether AT&T rep arrived to #DeLaCruz home assess service outage on day of disappearance or day after.

AT&T rep arrived three days after disappearance, but "trouble ticket" call came in on the day of.

Wow! I thought the cell phone evidence was conclusive. Definitely a clincher for me, and I'm so happy the jury agreed!

Justice for Julie.

635653046152989294-julie-ann-gonzalez.JPG

Photo: KVUE

Austin American-Statesman coverage

George De La Cruz found guilty of killing Julie Ann Gonzalez
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...deliberations-in-murder-trial-for-geor/nkzq7/
5:50 p.m. update: After nearly seven hours of deliberations, jurors have announced that they have reached a verdict in the murder trial of George De La Cruz.
5:55 p.m.: George De La Cruz has been found guilty of murder in the March 2010 disappearance of his estranged wife, Julie Ann Gonzalez.
De La Cruz faces between five years to life in prison.

KVUE
George De la Cruz found guilty of murder
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/crim...iberates-in-de-la-cruz-murder-trial/26180895/

http://kxan.com/2015/04/23/george-de-la-cruz-trial-enters-sentencing-phase/
AUSTIN (KXAN) &#8212; The sentencing phase for convicted murderer George De La Cruz has been swift Thursday morning. Both sides have rested, and closing arguments are next before it goes to the jury to decide De La Cruz&#8217;s fate.
&#8220;He used Layla to lure Layla&#8217;s mother to her death,&#8221; said prosecutor Gary Cobb. &#8220;Now, he&#8217;s using Layla to get a lesser sentence. He&#8217;s using Layla as bait.&#8221;

http://kxan.com/2015/04/23/george-de-la-cruz-trial-enters-sentencing-phase/
Video

LIFE IN PRISON for George de la cruz

There was a heated exchange between families as De La Cruz was led away from the courtroom. Talking between families started when the De La Cruz family said, &#8220;We love you, George.&#8221; The Gonzalez family responded, &#8220;Rot in hell, George.&#8221;
De La Cruz&#8217;s mother left the courtroom saying that Gonzalez would return and for people to keep searching.
&#8220;George, I can&#8217;t stand the sight of you. You have hurt us; you put us through hell,&#8221; said Gonzalez&#8217;s uncle, Juan Soto, during the victim impact statement.
&#8220;If I had more time to tell you how much I hate you, I would,&#8221; he continued before then thanking everyone who has been with the family through the ordeal. &#8220;George, we will not be thinking about you. We no longer have you in our lives.&#8221;

I'm sorry to say I had not kept up with the trial and conviction of de la Cruz, but am thrilled he will be going away for a very long time.

Have a question. In some of the info I read from the trial it was said there were pings on Julie or George's cell phone from a location where there had never been pings before. Does anyone know from where those pings were made? Sure seems like that would be a clue to where her body is, imo.

Julie is still out there and needs to be found to give her family closure. One of two things occurs to me. Either George had the baby with him when he disposed of Julie's remains or else his mother had possession of the baby during that time. Which is it?

So glad that De la Cruz was convicted and got life. I wish Julie Ann's remains could be found and returned to her family. Also, Julie Ann's daughter Layla (7 now) needs to be with her family - I hope they can get custody.

SBM:

"De La Cruz was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. However, till this day Gonzalez's body has never been found.

Gonzales says it doesn't compare to the life sentence her family is currently serving.

"Waiting for answers waiting for a sign a clue. My family wants to know where she is whether alive or gone," said Soto-Derma.

And says even though the family has their justice they still haven't been able to lay Gonzalez to rest.

"That's what we want we want to know where she is she needs to be buried properly," said Soto-Derma."

Family still searching for answers, on the anniversary of a 21-year-old woman's disappearance

Just saw this case on Oxygen- I have to say the police in this case were initially so stupid, so gullible- that it blew my mind. They actually believed her husband's BS story--- if it was not for the family's continual search for the truth, this case would never have been solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch
Back