TX - Lizbeth Medina, 16, high school cheerleader, found dead in bedroom, murder suspect arrested - Edna, 5 Dec 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Confused a little about reported circs... Header says she was found in her bedroom, one of the early articles in the thread says she was found in the bathtub, mother says she was in pyjamas. A bathtub obviously isn't going to be in her bedroom...

MOO

I haven't seen an official layout of the apartment yet, but sometimes if an apartment has two bedrooms, one of the bathrooms is "en suite" - which could kind of explain it. However, it's more likely to just be a mistake on the part of whoever wrote the headline IMO.

I'm glad they have photos of a possible suspect and hopefully someone recognizes him and calls in with a name soon (if they haven't already).

I'm assuming they probably showed his photo to her mom right away and he wasn't recognized by her. Doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't known to Lizbeth but that her mom didn't know of him. I wonder if they also showed the photo to the HS principal. IMO he does look older than a HS student, though some seniors in HS especially with facial hair can look older than their age (in my experience as a former HS teacher).

I do think the break-in is interesting. Could be a huge coincidence but it happening just two weeks ago makes me think it could be related. I wonder what time of day the break-in happened - also in the morning after Mom left for work? It could have either been casing the place and how easy it is to get in OR a true robbery attempt that Lizbeth interrupted and she saw his face so he came back.

I wonder what specific time her mom left for work vs. what time Lizbeth normally left for school? Curious how big the time window is there. Did Mom reliably lock the door when she left for work? Asking NOT to place blame but they mentioned no sign of forced entry but if it was an unlocked door, he could have just walked in without being invited or being known by Lizbeth. It's also possible of course he just knocked on the door and Lizbeth opened.

Confused a little about reported circs... Header says she was found in her bedroom, one of the early articles in the thread says she was found in the bathtub, mother says she was in pyjamas. A bathtub obviously isn't going to be in her bedroom...

MOO
I'm going with bathtub, as mom says she pulled back the curtain and found her.

I haven't seen an official layout of the apartment yet, but sometimes if an apartment has two bedrooms, one of the bathrooms is "en suite" - which could kind of explain it. However, it's more likely to just be a mistake on the part of whoever wrote the headline IMO.
I haven't seen an ensuite outside a luxury reno show with a tub. Shower, vanity, toilet, and just enough floorspace for a bathmat, is my experience.

MOO

Maybe she locked herself in the bathroom when someone came in, especially if she darted from her bed. Still in pjs but attacked and dumped in a bathtub without water in a position that she couldn’t have fallen into.

I cannot imagine the horror she and her mother has gone through.

I haven't seen an ensuite outside a luxury reno show with a tub. Shower, vanity, toilet, and just enough floorspace for a bathmat, is my experience.

MOO
Maybe en suite is the wrong word for me to use (and the point may be moot as we don't know the layout of this particular apartment), however, speaking as someone who has lived in a number of not so nice apartments over the years, if there are two bedrooms they are sometimes set up so that one or possibly both bedrooms has its own bathroom leading off the bedroom area, each with a shower/tub combo. I think this is the case, especially, if a lower rent apartment, because people are often living as roommates, not as family members. Just my own experience - but it may not explain what's going on in this case as headlines could be written quickly/inaccurately. I would definitely lean towards the mother's description as most likely to be accurate at this stage.

The suspect reminds me a little of the suspect in Rachel Morin’s murder, though Rachel’s killer looked bow legged and swayback from the Ring camera footage (complete long shot since Rachel was murdered in MD and the previous home invasion was in L. A. )I realize it’s much more likely to be someone local to the area.

Last edited:
This site has outdoor and indoor pictures of Cottonwood Apartment, Edna, Texas where she lived.

The Edna Police Department posted this update 8 hours ago:
Also on MSM here from 16 minutes ago: Person of interest photos released in murder of Edna High School cheerleader

There is an image of the suspect and the possible car. Black "Volcom" hoodie and silver Taurus. In the Facebook comments from the police department, the police chief responds that this image was from 10-10:30 am.

Well, they'll have him in custody soon, if they don't already.

Someone is going to immediately recognize him.

IMO.

Using just the English auto-generated subtitles for this video, it appears that the mom says that one foot of the victim was projecting out of the tub. There was no water in the tub. Her daughter had clothes on and no blood was seen?

Edit: clarification below...there was some blood seen.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979
Back