Name Becky Sue Turner
Residence Date 01 Jun 1997-01 Jun 2001
Residence Place Boise, Idaho, United States
Birth Date 18 Jul 1969
Address 7101 El Caballo Dr
Address Continued Boise, Idaho 83704
Record Number 673671435
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJ62-3YTX

Just getting caught up here~~have had family in visiting....

I just re-read this post....

So, that means....for some reason, she needed to stay Becky Sue Turner between 1997-2001 for some reason???? What was that reason??? Someone NEEDED to find her in Idaho as Becky Sue Turner 10-15 years later...WHY and WHO needed to find her there???

Something tells me whoever helped FLEK change her identity DIDN'T know she changed it again....and...FLEK didn't trust that person all that much...

WHY oh why oh why???

Just FYI, for those who previously looked into Stalder. It was suggested in previous threads that FLEK looked like a Deborah Stalder in a Tacoma, Washington yearbook. DOB 1956. That DS died in 2014. She had an obituary and death record under her married name. I don't know if she is the one who was involved in the trial, but if she was I think we can rule her out as FLEK. There may be another DS I'm not aware of though.

ETA: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK4V-KVQP

I don't disagree. I am not sure how it all unfolded. She admitted on the stand to being a drug dealer though. But his university friends are online and even mention his death, so it would be easy to put to rest for someone who wanted to write them.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-25/local/me-4767_1_drug-dealer

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-08-07/local/me-3831_1_execution-style-murders

I think the timeline is wrong though

The timeline looks pretty convincing, IMHO:

1977 - DJS graduates high school (if she did); at some point by 1984 gets involved with drug trade.

1979 - DJS's mother (divorced from her father) marries RL (who has a 1988 residence which is a *rural route in Bakersfield*)

1981 - DJS's mother divorces RL

1982 and 1984 - DJS's father and Chong Chu divorce, remarry, and divorce again in Orange County, CA and NV (2nd divorce)

1984 Jan 15 - DJS's drug-dealer boyfriend Cassanelli is murdered by Hoban and accomplice Zimmer

1984 Jan 29 - body of DJS's drug-dealer boyfriend is discovered by beach goers in Agoura, Los Angeles County, CA

1984 Spring - illegal pot shipment from Thailand seized by feds in Seattle with subsequent arrests where money is being laundered in Reno, CA. A 4-year undercover DEA operation begins concerning eventually-convicted Brian Peter Daniel's pot-smuggling operation from Bangkok (an American who also ran a strip club in Bangkok)

1985 May - her brother graduates from high school in Orange County, CA; joins military

1985 Aug 6 - DJS testifies for 2.5 hours in Zimmer murder trial; admits to being cocaine dealer; testifies in exchange for immunity; he gets 32 yrs to life

1986 (late) - Brian Peter Daniels and associates begin formulating plans to import loads of Asian marijuana into the USA

1987 - DJS has a residence in Scottsdale, AZ. Home is owned by male relative with same S surname who purportedly worked as branch mgr for the SSA in nearby Flagstaff (per WSer in earlier threads)

1987 - Daniels moves 4 large pot shipments to the US

1987 Sep (mid) - a 42-ton load of pot is off-loaded on the West Coast (related to Daniels, Kimball, Boese organization)

http://tinyurl.com/zc63fun

1986 to early 1988 - illegal drug operation (associated with Daniels) going on at a ranch in Bakersfield, CA:

"With the help of friends in several countries, (*some ex-military), he succeeded in becoming the largest por distributor of all time....The pot was brought by ship to the Pacific Northwest and distributed throughout the entire west coast. One major base of operations was a ranch in *Bakersfield, CA. The money was laundered in Reno, NV, which is where things unraveled after the arrest of the primary money mover. The entire syndicate was eventually dismantled, with the help of several key informants. People who played peripheral roles in this ring (and their families) were also affected. A couple of people who the feds wanted to speak with disappeared." ( Websleuths post: http://tinyurl.com/h3qoxy4 )

[*It's also possible (maybe even more likely) that her father was not an agent, but returned from Vietnam with a drug habit--and/or possibly, as a dealer.]

1988 Jan 26 - BPDaniels meets with associates in Bangkok explaining how funds from the last of his 4 shipments to US (1987) were seized in Reno, and that he was opening up bank account in Austria (see 1987 fact url above)

1988 Feb - Hoban (triggerman) murder trial begins in Van Nuys/Orange County, CA; DJS again testifies (he claims SHE pulled trigger)

1988 April - drug dealing discussions begin between BPDaniels and 2 undercover agents posing as fishermen

1988 May 5 - 2 undercover DEA agents meet with BPDaniels in Hong Kong and agree to unload the drug shipment; the 4-yr investigation takes a critical turn: http://tinyurl.com/zbl8eq9

1988 May 16 - Hoban is convicted of murder and kidnapping of DJS's boyfriend

1988 May 17 - article comes out about Hoban's conviction

1988 May 20 - "LEK" begins process of new identity by getting copy of BST's birth certificate from Kern County (Bakersfield), CA

1988 (at some point) - LEK has a 'letter of recommendation' typed on hotel stationary from a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand. The letter sounds as though she were a boarder/worker there in Bangkok.

1988 Jun 16 - LEK gets Idaho ID using BST bc

1988 Jun 30 - 72 tons of Thai marijuana seized off coast of Washington by coast guard; feds arrest 23 people including BPDaniels who'd met with undercover officers and DEA Agent William Harper in previous months in Bangkok

1980s (late) - LEK has PO box in Boulder City, NV

1988 and onward - DJS's military brother has multiple addresses in TX, Orange County, CA, Tampa, and Alabama

1993 - DJS's mother has residence in Van Nuys; her Asian step-mother in several LA/Orange County addresses

1995 - DJS's father dies/is buried in Orange County, CA

1999 to 2008 - DJS's step-mother has several Las Vegas or Henderson (Clark County) NV and Orange County, CA addresses

Just FYI, for those who previously looked into Stalder. It was suggested in previous threads that FLEK looked like a Deborah Stalder in a Tacoma, Washington yearbook. DOB 1956. That DS died in 2014. She had an obituary and death record under her married name. I don't know if she is the one who was involved in the trial, but if she was I think we can rule her out as FLEK. There may be another DS I'm not aware of though.

ETA: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK4V-KVQP

No, that would be a different Deborah Stalder, though possibly related, which could explain the resemblance. That Deborah was from a Stalder family living in Tacoma (she had a brother as well). The DJS I'm referring to was born in L.A. In 1959, and grew up in CA.

I'm lost too but I have not really followed the Stalder theories. All I know is there is someone on Ancestry so convinced LEK was Stalder they made a family tree with her as the daughter of Debbie's parents. Ancestry, unfortunately, uses family trees to make suggestions for people searching, as if the family trees are "fact" just as equally weighted as an actual historical record. So when you search for evidence that Lori could be Stabler you find it in spades on Ancestry because you find what this one person has linked to their tree. I think this has caused some confusion and may even have caused some online posters to conclude the mystery was solved. I'm not trying to say I can disprove the Stalder theory--I admit I haven't looked too deeply into it and now I'm completely lost as to how pp's are connecting Stalder to the Turners. I guess I need to do some more reading...:thinking:

I looked for a Stalder thread about a month ago, as one of the discussion threads mentioned a post ought to go there. But I found no Stalder thread.

I'm on ancestry, and yes, there are a few Stalder trees - but as a rule I don't use other people's trees for my own work. I search records only for my data. The trees are there for interest's sake - and I usually ignore them in the hints list. They are not real "sources" unless you maybe find someone with dozens of family photos of your family member, a family bible, and dna testing that matches your own. And then and only then if their data also supports mine, I'll take a closer look (though will still not copy their tree). I don't change my tree work because some random tree says something. That's not how it's done, and you're asking for a huge mess as a tree maker if you do that.

Yes, we were tracking that down a couple years ago. Just don't know if this is the same JC that we came across in that research. If it is, it creates a Boulder City NV connection.

Only question I have is...isn't that a 55 or older community. It was a Del Web community. Looks like she was buying new construction.

Also, if it helps any. I had a lengthy visit to Henderson NV in April 1989. I think I mentioned wanting to get a slot machine and how easy it was to open a PO Box at Mailboxes etc to establish residency. In any event, if I recall correctly, Henderson was just being built up at that time. Lots of new construction. I believe the houses were in the $200k range. Only houses in the area with a sprinkler system built in and grass, not desert plants. Why this is important is that Boulder is a sleepy retirement town and the 1st town North was a middle to upper middle class town just sprouting up. Not sure if it helps, but it always is good to get a sense of what was around there at that time. Was thinking of moving there...but decided against it.

I have read that assumption several times (that she was arrested). I have never seen proof of that, and also know that she would not have otherwise been fingerprinted (as family member of military).

In addition, I believe she would not have been eligible for WITSEC. I believe she was, at the time, involved in the Bangkok drug trade, however low rung, and, as such, would've had to incriminate herself for LE to realize how in danger she was. She chose not to incriminate herself, and I believe her family (and their contacts) instead helped her 'disappear.'

Are you basing that off the letter of reference she provided?? If so, I can tell you I've seen that same exact letter. My best friend had it~~when she ran away and was working under a false name.

No, that would be a different Deborah Stalder, though possibly related, which could explain the resemblance. That Deborah was from a Stalder family living in Tacoma (she had a brother as well). The DJS I'm referring to was born in L.A. In 1959, and grew up in CA.

Thanks, I found that birth record too but both birth dates were mentioned in old threads. Did she go to HS in Van Nuys, CA? I saw the yearbook photo. She has a slight resemblance to FLEK but nothing more than other brunettes posted here. I'm open to the possibility. You laid out a good timeline and you've clearly researched a lot about the Stalders. Did you see her dad's obituary? It's short and does not mention her as a survivor, mentions wife, son and one grandchild only. Usually in the genealogy world that means she died prior to 1995 but I could entertain the idea the family didn't want to tip off the bad elements if she was still alive.

I'm far behind on reading. I feel lost for the first time.
I thought there was a separate Deborah J. Stalder thread, but it seems to have disappeared? She has been discussed since 2013. I'm very intrigued by your theory.
If Turner could possibly a relative of Richard or Leon Stalder, why wouldn't he have mentioned that? He mentioned Fred Howder, why not throw in the name of someone your actually related to, who also bears a resemblance?

IF Turner was a relative, then he would likely also have an interest in keeping that mum. (If her disappearance was aided by family who had her well-being in mind.) Not entirely convinced he is related, yet, as I haven't found evidence and it seems so convoluted. But Turner did bear an uncanny resemblance to the S family, so I am considering it.

Thanks, I found that birth record too but both birth dates were mentioned in old threads. Did she go to HS in Van Nuys, CA? I saw the yearbook photo. She has a slight resemblance to FLEK but nothing more than other brunettes posted here. I'm open to the possibility. You laid out a good timeline and you've clearly researched a lot about the Stalders. Did you see her dad's obituary? It's short and does not mention her as a survivor, mentions wife, son and one grandchild only. Usually in the genealogy world that means she died prior to 1995 but I could entertain the idea the family didn't want to tip off the bad elements if she was still alive.

I have possible Anaheim (jr high--name but no photo), and Van Nuys (highschool) listings for her. The 1975 photo was for a May 1975 yearbook (Ulysses S Grant high school), and as an underclassman, was likely taken in fall 1974 (at least that's how they did ours back then) - which would mean she was about 15 when it was taken. So no, I don't see a strong resemblance to the older LEK photos, but the tentative expression on her face (especially), the dark hair, brows, and hairline, the eyes, etc., could be a match IMO. My 15-yr old photos don't look much like my 28-yr old ones, either. Youth rounds the face somewhat. The interesting thing about the Stalder photos I've found...they all seem to have a familial tendency to not smile broadly at the camera; instead, most of them just look directly at the camera with a slightly open mouth. Intense eyes, a bit slack-jawed about the mouth.

The 1977 "Shield" yearbook photo (Ulysses S Grant high school) has curiously disappeared. I know there was discussion of it in the earlier threads, but I can no longer pull it up in the yearbook search. If anyone can post that photo, I'd sure love to see it.

Re the obit--do you mean the Tacoma dad obit? No, haven't seen that as I haven't made a Tacoma Stalder connection on my tree (yet), so no hints for the Tacoma family. I'd be interested in seeing it, though! My DJS's dad died in 1995 and was buried in a CA military cemetery. No obits, as was the usual for the men in this family.

Speaking of...

While researching I was struck by how many of the S family members did NOT have vital records (eg. Birth, marriage, and death certificates). Remember when LEK said to her future mother-in-law "we don't do that?" Well, she was right. The S family doesn't seem to believe in obits, either, as I've found none (with the exception of a couple of the South Dakota matriarchs). I don't know if this is a masonic thing or not--does anyone here know?

There is a Deborah J. Stalder S. on Spokeo and Radaris. All previous addresses are in California except one and age is 57.

b5934e1593ac3504e708a1ea63ab101b.jpg

The timeline looks pretty convincing, IMHO:

1977 - DJS graduates high school (if she did); at some point by 1984 gets involved with drug trade.

1979 - DJS's mother (divorced from her father) marries RL (who has a 1988 residence which is a *rural route in Bakersfield*)

1981 - DJS's mother divorces RL

1982 and 1984 - DJS's father and Chong Chu divorce, remarry, and divorce again in Orange County, CA and NV (2nd divorce)

1984 Jan 15 - DJS's drug-dealer boyfriend Cassanelli is murdered by Hoban and accomplice Zimmer

1984 Jan 29 - body of DJS's drug-dealer boyfriend is discovered by beach goers in Agoura, Los Angeles County, CA

1984 Spring - illegal pot shipment from Thailand seized by feds in Seattle with subsequent arrests where money is being laundered in Reno, CA. A 4-year undercover DEA operation begins concerning eventually-convicted Brian Peter Daniel's pot-smuggling operation from Bangkok (an American who also ran a strip club in Bangkok)

1985 May - her brother graduates from high school in Orange County, CA; joins military

1985 Aug 6 - DJS testifies for 2.5 hours in Zimmer murder trial; admits to being cocaine dealer; testifies in exchange for immunity; he gets 32 yrs to life

1986 (late) - Brian Peter Daniels and associates begin formulating plans to import loads of Asian marijuana into the USA

1987 - DJS has a residence in Scottsdale, AZ. Home is owned by male relative with same S surname who purportedly worked as branch mgr for the SSA in nearby Flagstaff (per WSer in earlier threads)

1987 - Daniels moves 4 large pot shipments to the US

1987 Sep (mid) - a 42-ton load of pot is off-loaded on the West Coast (related to Daniels, Kimball, Boese organization)

http://tinyurl.com/zc63fun

1986 to early 1988 - illegal drug operation (associated with Daniels) going on at a ranch in Bakersfield, CA:

"With the help of friends in several countries, (*some ex-military), he succeeded in becoming the largest por distributor of all time....The pot was brought by ship to the Pacific Northwest and distributed throughout the entire west coast. One major base of operations was a ranch in *Bakersfield, CA. The money was laundered in Reno, NV, which is where things unraveled after the arrest of the primary money mover. The entire syndicate was eventually dismantled, with the help of several key informants. People who played peripheral roles in this ring (and their families) were also affected. A couple of people who the feds wanted to speak with disappeared." ( Websleuths post: http://tinyurl.com/h3qoxy4 )

[*It's also possible (maybe even more likely) that her father was not an agent, but returned from Vietnam with a drug habit--and/or possibly, as a dealer.]

1988 Jan 26 - BPDaniels meets with associates in Bangkok explaining how funds from the last of his 4 shipments to US (1987) were seized in Reno, and that he was opening up bank account in Austria (see 1987 fact url above)

1988 Feb - Hoban (triggerman) murder trial begins in Van Nuys/Orange County, CA; DJS again testifies (he claims SHE pulled trigger)

1988 April - drug dealing discussions begin between BPDaniels and 2 undercover agents posing as fishermen

1988 May 5 - 2 undercover DEA agents meet with BPDaniels in Hong Kong and agree to unload the drug shipment; the 4-yr investigation takes a critical turn: http://tinyurl.com/zbl8eq9

1988 May 16 - Hoban is convicted of murder and kidnapping of DJS's boyfriend

1988 May 17 - article comes out about Hoban's conviction

1988 May 20 - "LEK" begins process of new identity by getting copy of BST's birth certificate from Kern County (Bakersfield), CA

1988 (at some point) - LEK has a 'letter of recommendation' typed on hotel stationary from a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand. The letter sounds as though she were a boarder/worker there in Bangkok.

1988 Jun 16 - LEK gets Idaho ID using BST bc

1988 Jun 30 - 72 tons of Thai marijuana seized off coast of Washington by coast guard; feds arrest 23 people including BPDaniels who'd met with undercover officers and DEA Agent William Harper in previous months in Bangkok

1980s (late) - LEK has PO box in Boulder City, NV

1988 and onward - DJS's military brother has multiple addresses in TX, Orange County, CA, Tampa, and Alabama

1993 - DJS's mother has residence in Van Nuys; her Asian step-mother in several LA/Orange County addresses

1995 - DJS's father dies/is buried in Orange County, CA

1999 to 2008 - DJS's step-mother has several Las Vegas or Henderson (Clark County) NV and Orange County, CA addresses
That may all be true, but what makes you sure you have the right Debbie Stalder? And if so, how do you know she is not alive and well? There is a Debbie Stalder of that age range that lives in Las Vegas and has a FB page among others. Find a photo of the debbie who testified and you might have something. I don't think it is impossible that this is FLEK, I just remember looking at this some time ago, and could not find any info other than she testified. She testified during Hoban's trial and he was sentenced in June 1988. You could be just linking two interesting cases that have nothing to do with one another. Write the victims friends and they should be able to clear it up.

I have possible Anaheim (jr high--name but no photo), and Van Nuys (highschool) listings for her. The 1975 photo was for a May 1975 yearbook (Ulysses S Grant high school), and as an underclassman, was likely taken in fall 1974 (at least that's how they did ours back then) - which would mean she was about 15 when it was taken. So no, I don't see a strong resemblance to the older LEK photos, but the tentative expression on her face (especially), the dark hair, brows, and hairline, the eyes, etc., could be a match IMO. My 15-yr old photos don't look much like my 28-yr old ones, either. Youth rounds the face somewhat. The interesting thing about the Stalder photos I've found...they all seem to have a familial tendency to not smile broadly at the camera; instead, most of them just look directly at the camera with a slightly open mouth. Intense eyes, a bit slack-jawed about the mouth.

The 1977 "Shield" yearbook photo (Ulysses S Grant high school) has curiously disappeared. I know there was discussion of it in the earlier threads, but I can no longer pull it up in the yearbook search. If anyone can post that photo, I'd sure love to see it.

Re the obit--do you mean the Tacoma dad obit? No, haven't seen that as I haven't made a Tacoma Stalder connection on my tree (yet), so no hints for the Tacoma family. I'd be interested in seeing it, though! My DJS's dad died in 1995 and was buried in a CA military cemetery. No obits, as was the usual for the men in this family.

Speaking of...

While researching I was struck by how many of the S family members did NOT have vital records (eg. Birth, marriage, and death certificates). Remember when LEK said to her future mother-in-law "we don't do that?" Well, she was right. The S family doesn't seem to believe in obits, either, as I've found none (with the exception of a couple of the South Dakota matriarchs). I don't know if this is a masonic thing or not--does anyone here know?

Do you know what States they were born in? Many States don't release birth and marriage records due to identity theft.

Are you basing that off the letter of reference she provided?? If so, I can tell you I've seen that same exact letter. My best friend had it~~when she ran away and was working under a false name.

I'm thinking her drug-dealer cohorts were ultimately being supplied by the Bangkok syndicate, yes--based on what was happening with the huge West Coast investigation at that same time period (see timeline upthread--I wove it in with her history). The "letter of reference" could have been been typed by a Roger Steinbeck in Bangkok (if she was there at some point--unlikely, unless she was possibly worked in BPDaniels' strip club over there). Or, the letter of reference could be something she made up (say, if her father went to the region for military--he served in Korea and Vietnam, according to his veteran's gravesite records). If her father wrote her a letter from there (he was serving overseas while she was growing up), she could have covered the body of the letter with a cover sheet, photocopied it, and then typed the letter of recommendation herself on the photocopy.

The way the letter is worded, though, is odd (even apart from sounding bland and fake). It sounds like whoever wrote the letter was both her landlord AND her employer, who was complimenting her on her work as well as not being too loud for the other tenants. If she was in the sex trade over there, it's a fairly creepy letter from her 'employer.'

Another curious oddity...there IS a Roger R Steinbeck who was admitted to the CA Bar in 2008. Wonder if there's any connection (a son or relative of the 1988 one if there was an actual Roger Steinbeck?)

Do you know what States they were born in? Many States don't release birth and marriage records due to identity theft.

North and South Dakota for her father's generation (at least 12 kids). Most of the boys enlisted in the military and the girls married military guys. So the next gen was a bit more spread out (California, Wyoming, etc.).

I've not heard of some states not having public records for birth...that's new to me, though I have heard of Social Security records being tightened up online (until the person dies; then it's on the SS Death Index).

Speaking of...

Not a masonic thing at all. In fact if a man is affiliated it's often mentioned in his obit as well as there is a ceremony his "brothers" carry out and wear a special waist apron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PIM, how did you come to the conclusion that DS is the daughter of that particular RS-- the one born in SD? I see that there is another man with the same name who was born and lived in and around LA,?
I saw the photo of RS in CO, and I see what you mean--there is a resemblance to LEK, in my and my husband's opinion.

That may all be true, but what makes you sure you have the right Debbie Stalder? And if so, how do you know she is not alive and well? There is a Debbie Stalder of that age range that lives in Las Vegas and has a FB page among others. Find a photo of the debbie who testified and you might have something. I don't think it is impossible that this is FLEK, I just remember looking at this some time ago, and could not find any info other than she testified. She testified during Hoban's trial and he was sentenced in June 1988. You could be just linking two interesting cases that have nothing to do with one another. Write the victims friends and they should be able to clear it up.

I can't write the victim's friends because their names or comments weren't in those news articles you linked upthread. But I don't think I'd write them even if I had the names, to be honest. Nor would I write DJS's living relative(s). I'm not LE nor a federal investigator...I'd leave that sort of personal contact up to them.

When you looked, did you have access to public records (directories, yearbooks, military records, death and birth records, etc.) such as you'd find on an ancestry site? I can understand your doubts, and there is of course the chance I'm wrong. But every find has been a fit, and the consistent level of complex fits I've found is convincing me - it's the sort of 'aha' collection you do with ancestry research (each new find builds upon the previous verified hunch), and to be honest, I do have significant experience in recognizing those. Not to mention her father's CO military photo (and other relative photos) which would absolutely convince you; I'd post here but I'm afraid it'd be against TOS. (Are we allowed to post a photo if the person is both unnamed and deceased?)

The Debby Stalder who got in trouble was the Van Nuys Debbie Stalder (trial in Van Nuys), and I don't believe there were two Debby Stalders of the identical age living there at the same time. At least, two different ones don't show up in the yearbooks and public records that I've found. After high school graduation (1977) she disappears, (though I believe she may have been staying at least part of that time with her mother in Van Nuys), gets involved in drug dealing and a murder, then shows up 8 and 11 years after graduation testifying as state's witness in a murder trial. There's your missing decade. Between trials I'm thinking she was staying with the Stalder relative in Scottsdale, AZ. The coincidence that he also worked as the social security office branch mgr in Flagstaff is eyebrow-raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nirvanita55