TX TX - Mark Davis, 20, College Station, 14 Jan 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can completely see where this young man was coming from. In his senior year of college, he changes his major. That is a heck of a time to do something like that. It truly indicates that he was seriously questioning what he was going to do at that point. But by now, in his opinion, it's too late to start over... what am I doing? How am I going to support myself? Everyone will think I'm a failure. On and on these questions go... you just want to be free.
Sounds like he probably took off to go someplace that means something to him... hopefully where he could think. That is where his decision would be made, to either go on, or end it. I hope he chose to go forward, and if he did choose forward, I hope he calls his folks sometime... then I hope he relays this information and what he was feeling and going through onto other college students. This kind of thing happens to TONS of students... he could really help them I'm sure.
SuperKyle,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a well stated heartfelt post. I hope that one day Mark will contact his family.

SuperKyle,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a well stated heartfelt post. I hope that one day Mark will contact his family.

Thank you for keeping these cases bumped :)
So many sad cases.

This hits close to home as I am also an Aggie.
Is there a FB page for him? More people are apt to look at and share a FB page than his website, which doesn't look to have been updated in years.

This hits close to home as I am also an Aggie.
Is there a FB page for him? More people are apt to look at and share a FB page than his website, which doesn't look to have been updated in years.
I am unaware if there is a Facebook account for Mark Davis. I was unable to locate that there is an account set up for him, although, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I had read up on this case a few years and just now realized it was here, on WS. Such a mysterious case, and so very tragic for the family.

Just some thoughts: This young man took off on his mountain bike and rode off in the middle of the night to who knows where, in frigid weather, apparently leaving everything behind except the clothes on his back.
For one, it seems to me that he must have gone a good distance away or they would have found him, or at least his bike. Why bother to ride such a distance away to take his own life? I know it's not impossible, but I just can't see someone doing that unless they were leaving to go somewhere, had a destination.

He was familiar with Mexico and fluent in the language. If he had Latin American acquaintances he could have pre-arranged something with them. There are plenty of Mexican immigrants, including illegals in East Texas as well, who he could have hooked up with and helped him, even transported him across the border into Mexico. Possibly even obtained false ID. I mean that's not that difficult. If those who aided him were illegals, for sure they would never come forward with any information.

I have to wonder if Mark's family was the kind who had overly high expectations and put a lot of pressure on him to perform. If so, this could easily leave him feeling like a failure,ashamed, and like he could never live up to their expectations. If this were the case maybe he just could not face his parents, maybe the only way he could live with himself was to leave so that he could live his life without being reminded of what a "failure" he was in the eyes of his family.

Another point someone brought up was pertaining to his sexual identity perhaps being an issue. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but if this is a possibility, and his family was very close-minded and not open at all to that idea, whether for religious reasons or whatever, then that could be a huge factor in his decision to leave as well. And as I say, I have no idea, just sayin'.... Tyler is, after all, deeeeep in the heart of the bible belt.

I want to be sure to say that I'm sure Mark's parents are very good people. Still, every family has it's own dynamics. And Mark may have been one of those very sensitive souls who couldn't stand to let anyone down, who just didn't feel he could be himself with his own family.

I do find it strange that the web page http://findmarkdavis.com/ , has been more or less inactive for quite a long time, as in it appears, or at least makes it appear, that his family isn't really looking for him any more. That's also very sad. Maybe I'm wrong, I certainly hope so. Maybe they just don't want him to know they are looking for him.

I also checked on the Tyler PD 'cold cases' and do not see Mark listed there either. Wonder why that is. :waitasec:

I do find him still listed on Tyler-Smith County Crimestoppers, however:
It states that: (S&BBM)
Davis was later possibly seen two days later around 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday, January 17th, going north on County Road 137 in Flint.
http://www.cityoftyler.org/Portals/...lice/documents/Mark Randall Davis Missing.pdf
So if someone is going to commit suicide they are riding around on a bicycle for two days? What, thinking about doing it? Or could he have been meeting up with someone in preparation for his departure, making the final plans.
Idk, all just my own theories and speculation, and of course all JMO.

Bumping for Mark. What a handsome young man.

To me it has always sounded like a suicide though, sadly.

Bumping this thread, as I came across the story of his disappearance today. Here are my thoughts as a native Tylerite:

1) This young man came from a family that is upper middle class, judging from their neighborhood and choice of school. Whatever problems he had I'd guess they were not financial.

2) The supposed sighting of him 2 days later: I have a hard time believing that it was him. CR 137 in Flint is roughly 4 miles from his house. Why would he be lingering in the area, out in public, when his family, friends, volunteers are out looking for him? Given that CR 137 is SW of his home, he could have easily cleared more ground going that direction by hoping on the newly opened Loop 49 that could have taken him all the way over to Hwy 155 then headed S, which is the quickest way to get to I-45... if as some suggest, his intentions were to head to Mexico. He could have been in Palestine,TX by lunchtime, then in Buffalo sometime that night. He could have hitched on I-45 or rode the bike on the back roads. His bike is a high quality with tells me he either 1) bought for the brand or 2) rode a lot and knew his bikes. Still, it was a mountain bike. I wonder if he had road tires for it. At any rate, keep in mind that Tyler, TX is over 400 miles from the border. Getting there on a bicycle is no easy task regardless.

3) Suicide? If he did it, he went somewhere very secluded. There are many outdoor enthusiast here in East Texas. I've been in remote locations where I doubt anyone has ever been, only to stumble upon some beer bottles not more than a few years old. I think if he went somewhere locally to die, he would have most likely been found by now. Many new roads and houses have been constructed all around the Tyler, Flint, and Bullard area (all S, SW or his home).

4) Foul Play? There is a chance that he was hit by a car, whose driver then disposed of the bike and body. Early morning hours, icy conditions, dark clothing... all are factors increasing the likely hood of such an event. There are a lot of trucks driven in the area (yes, its Texas) and if so inclined it wouldn't have been too much of an issue to pick the young man and his bike up after the fact and toss them in the bed. He's only listed as 5'9" and 160lbs? Most of the trucks with the ranch-hand bumpers would barely have a ding on them from such an impact, so no need for any repair work.

Regardless of the means, an apparently bright young man has been separated from his family and normal life for over 7 years now. I'm way behind on this and it seems to be an extreme cold case by now, but I will say a prayer for his family and for this young man... wherever he may be. God bless.

Bumping this thread, as I came across the story of his disappearance today. Here are my thoughts as a native Tylerite:

1) This young man came from a family that is upper middle class, judging from their neighborhood and choice of school. Whatever problems he had I'd guess they were not financial.

2) The supposed sighting of him 2 days later: I have a hard time believing that it was him. CR 137 in Flint is roughly 4 miles from his house. Why would he be lingering in the area, out in public, when his family, friends, volunteers are out looking for him? Given that CR 137 is SW of his home, he could have easily cleared more ground going that direction by hoping on the newly opened Loop 49 that could have taken him all the way over to Hwy 155 then headed S, which is the quickest way to get to I-45... if as some suggest, his intentions were to head to Mexico. He could have been in Palestine,TX by lunchtime, then in Buffalo sometime that night. He could have hitched on I-45 or rode the bike on the back roads. His bike is a high quality with tells me he either 1) bought for the brand or 2) rode a lot and knew his bikes. Still, it was a mountain bike. I wonder if he had road tires for it. At any rate, keep in mind that Tyler, TX is over 400 miles from the border. Getting there on a bicycle is no easy task regardless.

3) Suicide? If he did it, he went somewhere very secluded. There are many outdoor enthusiast here in East Texas. I've been in remote locations where I doubt anyone has ever been, only to stumble upon some beer bottles not more than a few years old. I think if he went somewhere locally to die, he would have most likely been found by now. Many new roads and houses have been constructed all around the Tyler, Flint, and Bullard area (all S, SW or his home).

4) Foul Play? There is a chance that he was hit by a car, whose driver then disposed of the bike and body. Early morning hours, icy conditions, dark clothing... all are factors increasing the likely hood of such an event. There are a lot of trucks driven in the area (yes, its Texas) and if so inclined it wouldn't have been too much of an issue to pick the young man and his bike up after the fact and toss them in the bed. He's only listed as 5'9" and 160lbs? Most of the trucks with the ranch-hand bumpers would barely have a ding on them from such an impact, so no need for any repair work.

Regardless of the means, an apparently bright young man has been separated from his family and normal life for over 7 years now. I'm way behind on this and it seems to be an extreme cold case by now, but I will say a prayer for his family and for this young man... wherever he may be. God bless.

Hi Samaritan, Good to have you on the thread. :welcome:

Ok, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but it sounds as though you're saying Mark could have taken loop 49 ?
Which would have been impossible as loop 49 was not open until several years after Mark went missing. My apologies though if I'm misunderstanding, please set me straight if that's the case. :blush:
And again, great to have you here. :welcome:

Bump for Mark. I just found out about this story, and it hit home for me as a fellow Aggie. I was a Sophomore at A&M when he disappeared in 2007. I was also in Engineering. I don't recall ever having heard of his disappearance while at A&M.

Does anyone here still have any contact with his family? I'm not one for intuition, but I do feel he's out there alive.

Hi Samaritan, Good to have you on the thread. :welcome:

Ok, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but it sounds as though you're saying Mark could have taken loop 49 ?
Which would have been impossible as loop 49 was not open until several years after Mark went missing. My apologies though if I'm misunderstanding, please set me straight if that's the case. :blush:
And again, great to have you here. :welcome:

Hey Neesaki. As you can see I am by no means a regular on this site. :)

Just to "set you straight", the first section of Loop 49 was completed in 2006. As I indicated in my post, the first segment went from Highway 69 (just about a half mile west of Mark's residence) west to Highway 155, was "newly opened", having been open on August 17th, 2006.

For reference, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_Loop_49

I hope in the future you do your research before declaring others' hypothesized scenarios "impossible" due to your lack of relevant knowledge on the subject.

Bump for one of the missing Tylerites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back